• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

As an all-grown-up tomboy, I think it's really cool that you're encouraging your daughter to be herself - the best thing a kid can learn (and the earlier the better) is to Embrace the Weird.  In my personal experience, the more you embrace your weird, the more people either are drawn to you, or just get out of your damn way.  

Damn right!  

It's a lesson I must constantly relearn my whole life :)

• Like 2

Ooh, awesome. The shoed version is definitely there! Regular pants definitely inhibit the hips more than either of us would think, so with workout pants, you'd probably be able to get your thigh in closer/tighter and maybe get higher up on that upper arm and have less slippage barefoot. 

I am excited to try this. Yay handbalances!!!

I really wish I could help her, but it's not like I was popular or really have any advice.  All I can do is hug her and reassure her that mommy was in the same boat many years ago.  I also knew that my daughter would eventually have this problem.  She's a total tomboy, so she doesn't have much in common with the other girls.  She pretty much just wants to talk about Minecraft, Terraria, Pokemon, Neil Gaiman juvie books, and video games.  But in 2nd grade, the boys and girls don't really hang out together very much anymore.  So, she's kind of stuck being alone.   :apologetic:  :apologetic:  :apologetic:   I just hate seeing her so unhappy.  And I hate it that there's nothing I can do.

Ugh, that's me and my younger kid. She's already getting excluded, she's already sensitive and a bookworm. She's about to turn 7 ... but I know exactly what it feels like.

The older kid is a tomboy and into video games, but has strong friendships with the boys in her class. Since I've talked to her about gender and how there's more than two options, she's even started saying that she's not a girl, so we'll see how that pans out. :)

I really just expected the mean girl friendship drama to start around 4th grade.  2nd seems so early.   :(  All of this reminds me of why I don't like socializing with non-nerdy women.  

Yeah, how do you even with non-nerds?? :lol:

I'm really enjoying the nerdy love-fest here.   :)  At least as adults, we all know that NF totally is our tribe!

I received a Mark's Daily Apple newsletter update a week or two ago that was an update on the Primal Rules he espouses, and one of them talked about finding your tribe.

All I could was smile and think that I had already found mine... the Rangers!

And I'm happy that my arms are much straighter than I thought with my crane.  I'm still not flexible enough to get my knees up in my armpits, though.

6100E0CB-46F8-4322-8AF5-B486DFB90F19-190

Man, you make that look so easy... and much more impressive-looking than mine!

• Like 2

Wowie great job with your crane!

So sorry your daughter is having a hard time :( I don't have much to add to the discussion because I had similar problems as a kid, and am glad as an adult I'm not pressured to have to fit into the "girly" crowds because I have no idea how to function in that environment.  If I had been "allowed" (not a good word here because that implies that it was an external force when it was really internal to me) to just be OK with myself earlier I think I would have been a lot happier a lot earlier. It's really hard to grasp all this as a child though, obviously.  But I think it's great you're encouraging her to be herself and comfortable doing what she wants.

I had a friend in middle school who was "popular", but we got along really well, and her popular friends told her she couldn't be friends with me.  It was really really tough but in the end it pushed me towards the friends I made in the following months who are still some of my best friends to this day.

• Like 2

Honestly, if the whole 2nd through 4th grade social nightmare thing is to thank for their awesome attitude about being unique and owning their body and self image...  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  No question.  Interesting aside...  one of the formerly "mean" girls from 3rd grade recently approached these girls because she wanted to cosplay and her friends made fun of her.  Of course, they adopted her in straight away and began planning for the next con.  <-- proud mommy moment!

This is my spin on the girl drama, at least in hindsight.  ;)

Embrace the Weird.  In my personal experience, the more you embrace your weird, the more people either are drawn to you, or just get out of your damn way.  

I will leave this video here.  Wil Wheaton telling a young girl why it's awesome to be a nerd.  Warning, you may tear up from the nerd feelz.

• Like 3

So, yesterday was weird. My parents are visiting from out of town, and pretty quickly my mom asked me if I had Starz.  I was kind of like yes.  Why?

5df84009e3bbae199bf3fab251b59c4d.gif

And then she said she wanted to watch Ash vs. Evil Dead.  And I was like:

af9ab1d7722be765ffadc7b296d853af.gif

Tonight is going to be interesting.  Yeah, we did watch the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness as a family when I was a kid.  I'm just shocked that my late-60s mom is still into it.  

In other news, I'm glad we have a week 0 to ease into things.  I've done tons of my normal exercising, but I have barely scratched the surface of my challenge goals.  There have been no squats, no crock pot meals, not nearly enough coding work, and much less prehab than I'd like.  I'll really have to get focused and fire things up on Monday.

• Like 6

Man, you make that look so easy... and much more impressive-looking than mine!

AUGH MUST LEARN NEW SKILL!

Actually, a crow progression, might be just the thing while I'm laid up in the Healing Temple...

I'm ALWAYS very willing to help people with hand balancing!  And yeah, it's great for helping build up your wrist and forearm strength, which is really useful for vaulting and other parkour stuff.  So, I definitely recommend working on those!

Nice hand balancing! I feel like I'm behind on all the fun now!

You need to get in on the action!  At least you already have a good number of these poses nailed, so you have a nice head start on Raptron.  Based on Raptron's thread, I'm getting the feeling that we will both need that head start.  ;)

Ugh, that's me and my younger kid. She's already getting excluded, she's already sensitive and a bookworm. She's about to turn 7 ... but I know exactly what it feels like.

The older kid is a tomboy and into video games, but has strong friendships with the boys in her class. Since I've talked to her about gender and how there's more than two options, she's even started saying that she's not a girl, so we'll see how that pans out. :)

Yeah, how do you even with non-nerds?? :lol:

Both of my kids are in a weird space with gender.  My daughter is a tomboy, but not enough of one to just be one of the boys.  My son has long hair, likes purple and pink, likes bling (jewelry), and likes a lot of other traditionally girly things.  But he does identify as all boy.  

And yeah.  I have no idea how anyone can really deal with non-nerds.  When I have to deal with normal people, it's almost like I have to go into "roleplaying my life" mode, where I try to pretend I'm a boring, stuffy, muggle type.

• Like 6

And yeah.  I have no idea how anyone can really deal with non-nerds.  When I have to deal with normal people, it's almost like I have to go into "roleplaying my life" mode, where I try to pretend I'm a boring, stuffy, muggle type.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend last night. I used to try and hide my nerdiness to fit in with the "norms" but as I've gotten older I've stopped caring what other people think of me and I've embraced the nerd within. If people think I'm weird, so what? I like who I am and to hell with what other people think.

• Like 1

I think part of the problem with the gender identity discussion today is that people seem to assume if you identify as one or the other you have to act a certain way. The things you like do not determine your gender, nor does the way you act.

• Like 5

This is my current status in the Catch Em All with Raptron and Hatter game.  Thankfully, I got a head start, since Raptron and Hatter are both so strong and flexible that they're going to kick my ass.  But, since it's a pic/video or it didn't happen game, I'm only counting things for which I have some video or photo.

Crow: (video in my sig) - charmander

Feathered Peacock - Krabby

letter_y.png

Scale pose (pigeotto)

474D45CE-624D-489C-B397-7C0EF0589D78-478

Headstand - Hypno

7508FD20-80FB-4E21-B632-9CBD7E18D38B-613

Crane: Granbull

6100E0CB-46F8-4322-8AF5-B486DFB90F19-190

Eight angle right: chantey

6F4FC08B-1BD3-4963-828E-03738965CFE6-341

Elephant trunk: Mankey

D07F210B-F8A3-4AE8-B459-702ABD85B98B-933

One legged crow: Ekans

Peacock: Marowak

78CEB865-E921-427C-BA40-3FF7CF5F42F7-112

Sage 1: Tauros (end of side crow video in signature)

Sage 2: Lanturn at 0:08 in video

Side crow left: Pinco (in side crow video)

Wild thing: Raikou

FE6C168D-878C-4625-9B62-EE71F1945308-613

Flying pigeon: Lapras  (in flying crow video in signature)

Flying lizard: Likitung

3D0CF091-D080-4277-BD91-D9CE9CE2F75E-933

Funky crow: Slobro 1:05 in this video

So, that's 16 captured.

I know I can do all of these, but I just have never taken any photos or video:

- Eight angle Left, side crow right, shoulder stand, shoulder pressing

I feel like I should be able to learn:

-straight crow, baby grasshopper, down dog dancer, headstand with leg twist, uneven two leg pose

And I'm kind of close on grasshopper and fallen angel.

Forearm scorpion, firefly, visvamitrasana, wounded peacock, peacock lotus, upward rooster, and big daddy are all kind of hrrmmm... nope-isn.

• Like 10

So, yesterday was weird. My parents are visiting from out of town, and pretty quickly my mom asked me if I had Starz.  I was kind of like yes.  Why?

5df84009e3bbae199bf3fab251b59c4d.gif

And then she said she wanted to watch Ash vs. Evil Dead.  And I was like:

af9ab1d7722be765ffadc7b296d853af.gif

Tonight is going to be interesting.  Yeah, we did watch the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness as a family when I was a kid.  I'm just shocked that my late-60s mom is still into it.  

In other news, I'm glad we have a week 0 to ease into things.  I've done tons of my normal exercising, but I have barely scratched the surface of my challenge goals.  There have been no squats, no crock pot meals, not nearly enough coding work, and much less prehab than I'd like.  I'll really have to get focused and fire things up on Monday.

Your gifs are a great addition to the story, lol.  

From my still pretty short time on this planet, I've found that age doesn't change who you are or your likes or anything.

As for week 0 - I think I do my best during that week, too!  A little more experimentation and forgiveness is allowed.  Maybe we should try that during the actualy challenge, lol.

Awesome poses! You really do have a great head start. I'm this close to joining in on the fun. 

*nods* 

Realized myself that I too needed a Pre-Week to shuffle into things.  I've been on top of about 50% of the new things in my challenge already (no urban exploration, parkour runs, or climb yet), but I've been struggling a tiny bit with my lower calorie intake.  Nothing drastic, just 100-200 calories over my goal for the most part.  Night  shifts make it really hard to keep to just the food I bring.  Last night it was chocolate cake sitting all over the place...

But Pre-Week is almost over and then it's go time!

I'm ALWAYS very willing to help people with hand balancing!  And yeah, it's great for helping build up your wrist and forearm strength, which is really useful for vaulting and other parkour stuff.  So, I definitely recommend working on those!

Starter advice.  Please.  Anything.

Especially with relation to Crow Pose and sore triceps from knee weight pressing onto them.  Other starter poses would be great too Nym!  I have six days off coming up and need something to keep me busy.

This is my current status in the Catch Em All with Raptron and Hatter game.  Thankfully, I got a head start, since Raptron and Hatter are both so strong and flexible that they're going to kick my ass.  But, since it's a pic/video or it didn't happen game, I'm only counting things for which I have some video or photo.

What... is... what?  THIS IS AMAZING.  Pokemon and Yoga poses?  Oh, man.  I might have to ninja-invite myself and start playing this game on my own somehow!

• Like 1

Those poses are amazing!! It's going to be interesting and inspiring to follow along with you guys. I think one of the things I'm going to do when my shoulder is better is start working on crow pose. I've toyed with the idea now and again, but after seeing those balances, I want in!

• Like 1

WHOA!  I really really really want to do these things!  Is there a beginners handbook somewhere?  I'm a good student, honest...

Start with crow pose.  I made a handy tutorial many challenges ago that goes through a lot of the earlier progressions and hopefully makes it easier to build up to the full pose.  Hand balancing is fun!  You should definitely give it a try!  

From my still pretty short time on this planet, I've found that age doesn't change who you are or your likes or anything.

As for week 0 - I think I do my best during that week, too!  A little more experimentation and forgiveness is allowed.  Maybe we should try that during the actualy challenge, lol.

That's true.  :)  And my mom did enjoy watching it last night with the rest of us.  

I find that I really do need the mental break from having to think too much about goals during week 0.  But I'm always a bit disappointed that the new habits from the last challenge aren't quite as well formed as I'd like.  I guess that's why I'm still doing challenges after being on NF for 2.5 years.  :)  

Awesome poses! You really do have a great head start. I'm this close to joining in on the fun. 

*nods* 

Yes!  Totally join in!  But in 3.5-4 weeks (or whenever Worlds is finished)!

Realized myself that I too needed a Pre-Week to shuffle into things.  I've been on top of about 50% of the new things in my challenge already (no urban exploration, parkour runs, or climb yet), but I've been struggling a tiny bit with my lower calorie intake.  Nothing drastic, just 100-200 calories over my goal for the most part.  Night  shifts make it really hard to keep to just the food I bring.  Last night it was chocolate cake sitting all over the place...

But Pre-Week is almost over and then it's go time!

Starter advice.  Please.  Anything.

Especially with relation to Crow Pose and sore triceps from knee weight pressing onto them.  Other starter poses would be great too Nym!  I have six days off coming up and need something to keep me busy.

What... is... what?  THIS IS AMAZING.  Pokemon and Yoga poses?  Oh, man.  I might have to ninja-invite myself and start playing this game on my own somehow!

I'm glad we have a zero week, just so I can start easing into things without too much pressure.  But I really need to get focused tomorrow.

For crow pose, while perfect form requires having your knees directly on your arms, you really don't need to be so perfect.  After my knee surgery, I had a lot of knee pain whenever I did a proper crow.  So, instead, I started frogging my knees apart a bit more and just pushing that meatier part of the leg, above and inside the knees, into a meatier part of my tricep.  I talk about the positions a bit in the video I posted above.  If even after that adjustment, you're still feeling too much pressure between the knees and arms, then you probably need to engage your core a bit more.  

As soon as you can hold crow for maybe 30 seconds, you really could try any other balancing poses.  It's hard to know which ones to recommend, since that greatly depends on where you are or aren't flexible.  Scale pose is relatively easy, but you need to be able to do a full lotus with your legs.  Pendant takes almost no flexibility, but you need massive core strength.  I have video tutorials for side crow and flying crow/pigeon in my signature.  For side crow, you need a really good twist, and for flying crow, you need fairly flexible hips.  Peacock doesn't take much flexibility, but a lot of people find that it irritates their wrists.  You kind of just have to pick your poison.  ;)

And if you want a super awesome Pokemon + yoga challenge, head to the Assassins Guild and check out Raptron's thread.  Or just find her replies here, and follow her current challenge link back to her thread.  :)

• Like 3

Sol (-2) update:

Parkour was awesome!  My kids class went well, and all of my little dudes had a great time!  And then in the adult class, I managed to get tons of practice with rail hanging traverses, gate vaults at height (meaning you kind of handspring over a rail and land on the ground 4' lower than the lowest rail), a bunch of rail mounts, Top out climb ups on the 8' wall, and even some down laches.  The down laches were pretty scary, since I was sitting on a ledge 10' up, had to swing out to a rail, and then drop to another rail maybe 4' laterally away and 2-3' lower.  But I caught it pretty easily!

I also found out some great news!  I'm no longer on the hook for teaching the Wed. evening kids' parkour class (I'm still teaching my other 2 classes).  I was just filling in for a guy who got injured, and he's now back and ready to teach.  So, now I'm free to return to my obstacle course class on Tuesday nights, teach only one kids' class Wed. afternoon and then go climbing Wed. night.  I greatly prefer this over the old schedule of climbing Tuesday, teaching 2 parkour classes Wed., and then taking a parkour technique class in the evening.  :)

• Like 6