• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend last night. I used to try and hide my nerdiness to fit in with the "norms" but as I've gotten older I've stopped caring what other people think of me and I've embraced the nerd within. If people think I'm weird, so what? I like who I am and to hell with what other people think.

I totally wore my Link costume out last night to a horror festival with people I didn't know.  People I didn't know invited me to trivia. Nerd, FTW.

I think part of the problem with the gender identity discussion today is that people seem to assume if you identify as one or the other you have to act a certain way. The things you like do not determine your gender, nor does the way you act.

Amen.

Start with crow pose.  I made a handy tutorial many challenges ago that goes through a lot of the earlier progressions and hopefully makes it easier to build up to the full pose.  Hand balancing is fun!  You should definitely give it a try!  

It was in your signature all this time...  so silly, annyshay...

• Like 1

And yeah.  I have no idea how anyone can really deal with non-nerds.  When I have to deal with normal people, it's almost like I have to go into "roleplaying my life" mode, where I try to pretend I'm a boring, stuffy, muggle type.

My life, in a nutshell.

Impressive poses, Nymeria. You never cease being an inspiration, although my plate's already too full to accomodate handbalancing practice along with ALL the other things right now

image.png

• Like 2

That sounds like a much better timetable!

How could you be at 16 poses already? The challenge hasn't even started. :P I don't know if I would count the crane though to be honest (and not because I'm so far behind haha :D) To me it just seems like the arms should be completely straight. Otherwise it's a bit like a bent arm planche - looks kind of the same but it's really not. I think you're up for the challenge. ;)

Both of my kids are in a weird space with gender.  My daughter is a tomboy, but not enough of one to just be one of the boys.  My son has long hair, likes purple and pink, likes bling (jewelry), and likes a lot of other traditionally girly things.  But he does identify as all boy.  

That just sounds like they feel secure enough to explore their gender expression outside the normal binary, which is actually super healthy and awesome! :D And I feel the need to say that while I definitely identify as a man, I have long hair that I love having braided, I wear jewelry, love the color purple, and painting my nails. It sounds like your kids have great taste. :P

• Like 2

And how awesome was that first episode of Ash vs. Evil Dead?  Love, love, loved it.

I'm also really digging how all the Dr. Who episodes so far have been 2 parters - though I thought this latest one had maybe just a tad too much set up.  Osgood!!

For crow pose, while perfect form requires having your knees directly on your arms, you really don't need to be so perfect.  After my knee surgery, I had a lot of knee pain whenever I did a proper crow.  So, instead, I started frogging my knees apart a bit more and just pushing that meatier part of the leg, above and inside the knees, into a meatier part of my tricep.  I talk about the positions a bit in the video I posted above.  If even after that adjustment, you're still feeling too much pressure between the knees and arms, then you probably need to engage your core a bit more.  

As soon as you can hold crow for maybe 30 seconds, you really could try any other balancing poses.  It's hard to know which ones to recommend, since that greatly depends on where you are or aren't flexible.  Scale pose is relatively easy, but you need to be able to do a full lotus with your legs.  Pendant takes almost no flexibility, but you need massive core strength.  I have video tutorials for side crow and flying crow/pigeon in my signature.  For side crow, you need a really good twist, and for flying crow, you need fairly flexible hips.  Peacock doesn't take much flexibility, but a lot of people find that it irritates their wrists.  You kind of just have to pick your poison. 

I think tonight might be a good night to dabble in some poses.  Might be going to my first ever legitimate Yoga class on Wednesday.  I doubt it will become a habit because I'm not a fan of the deep breathing, meditation-style Yoga stuff, but I figured I would give it a try.  Also told the girlfriend I would attend one class with her and my sister at some point, so...

And if you want a super awesome Pokemon + yoga challenge, head to the Assassins Guild and check out Raptron's thread.  Or just find her replies here, and follow her current challenge link back to her thread.   :)

Off I go then!

• Like 1

That just sounds like they feel secure enough to explore their gender expression outside the normal binary, which is actually super healthy and awesome! :D And I feel the need to say that while I definitely identify as a man, I have long hair that I love having braided, I wear jewelry, love the color purple, and painting my nails. It sounds like your kids have great taste. :tongue:

hells yes non-binary gender expression!  WHEEE! 

Also, happy Beginning of Challenge day!

• Like 3

Eeek.  I've been somewhat out of commission for the last 3 days, due to having my parents visit.  Now, it's time to play catch up.  And there sure is a lot of that.

I totally wore my Link costume out last night to a horror festival with people I didn't know.  People I didn't know invited me to trivia. Nerd, FTW.

Awesome!  

Impressive poses, Nymeria. You never cease being an inspiration, although my plate's already too full to accomodate handbalancing practice along with ALL the other things right now

I never thought I'd hear YOU saying that.  So there is a limit to how much you can squeeze in all of the things.  ;)

How could you be at 16 poses already? The challenge hasn't even started. :tongue: I don't know if I would count the crane though to be honest (and not because I'm so far behind haha :D) To me it just seems like the arms should be completely straight. Otherwise it's a bit like a bent arm planche - looks kind of the same but it's really not. I think you're up for the challenge. ;)

Better, Hatter?  ;)  My arms are definitely fully extended and locked out on this one.  Really for me, it's a matter of a firm floor vs. a kind of squishy one.  All balances are so much harder on the squishy floor.  For the 16, remember that I had a head start and could already do a bunch of the poses.  And I need the head start.  I think I've tried just about everything on the list, and there are some poses I'm not even close to flexible enough to get.  

30F78DDE-1244-4C6C-A2F3-05FB10E60CAA-371

So now that you've dropped that one class are you at DO ALL-1 THE THINGS?

It was just teaching one class, so I haven't dropped much.  And I'm sure I'll find a way to add enough things to the agenda so I'm still doing ALL OF THE THINGS.

All the awesome poses. :D

And woot for being able to return to a better schedule. 

Thanks!

• Like 5

That just sounds like they feel secure enough to explore their gender expression outside the normal binary, which is actually super healthy and awesome! :D And I feel the need to say that while I definitely identify as a man, I have long hair that I love having braided, I wear jewelry, love the color purple, and painting my nails. It sounds like your kids have great taste. :tongue:

I fully agree.  I hate it that so many things are categorized as "boy" things or "girl" things long before children should even have a strong sense of boy or girl-ness. My son is pretty comfortable in liking what he likes without caving to peer pressure.  

And how awesome was that first episode of Ash vs. Evil Dead?  Love, love, loved it.

I'm also really digging how all the Dr. Who episodes so far have been 2 parters - though I thought this latest one had maybe just a tad too much set up.  Osgood!!

I loved it too!  I'll have to admit, though (even though I'll get dragged through the coals on NF for this) that it's really hard for me to see Bruce Campbell as anything other than Sam Axe.  Yeah, I know he had a lot of great roles, and Ash was really his first one, but I watched Burn Notice for entirely too long.  :)

I think tonight might be a good night to dabble in some poses.  Might be going to my first ever legitimate Yoga class on Wednesday.  I doubt it will become a habit because I'm not a fan of the deep breathing, meditation-style Yoga stuff, but I figured I would give it a try.  Also told the girlfriend I would attend one class with her and my sister at some point, so...

Yes!  Do it!  Once you feel really solid in crow, you should definitely dabble with some other balances!  Keep in mind, too, that not all yoga styles have deep breathing and meditation.  The vinyasa class I take switches poses with each breath, so you're almost constantly flowing between different poses.  If your area has partner Acro Yoga, you might enjoy that, too!

hells yes non-binary gender expression!  WHEEE! 

Also, happy Beginning of Challenge day!

Happy Beginning of Challenge day to you, too!

• Like 2

Week before landing (week 0) recap:

I did a good job of easing into avoiding the breakfast bars.  Even though I wasn't particularly limiting things, I stuck with only 2 alcoholic drinks, which is great.  I didn't do any squats, but I started remembering to stretch and use the foam roller again.  I managed a little bit of coding (but not much, since I didn't want to be anti-social during my parents' visit), and a little piano.  

I am really glad that I wasn't scoring things last week, as I really needed the extra time to ease into things and get my bearings.  

And now....

Sol 1 update:

-I did my squats!  For the short term, I'm just doing a 5x5 and sticking with a low weight.  I want to make sure that I'm keeping good form, doing a very deep squat, and that the whole thing doesn't irritate my knees.  So, I started with a mere 15 lbs.   I will keep increasing by 5 lbs/session until I either can't do 5x5 or find that it is hurting my knees.  

-prehab done

-no booze.  no breakfast bars.  Unfortunately, my husband is trying to sabotage my crock pot goal by commandeering my crock pot and cooking a bean soup.  So now I have yummy, healthy food to finish before I can start another batch of something else.  It's really not the worst problem to have.  ;)

-no coding.  Parents were still here

-another data point on the headspace spreadsheet.  Long nature walks really seem to help with my mood, but it helps that it was a beautiful day.  I'm not sure if I would get the same effect if the weather were nasty.

Sol 2 (so far)

-10 minutes of animal flow logged for the mini.  I did animal flow inspirations #3 and the Rocking Eagle flow, as well as just some misc movements.

-prehab done

-Beer Yoga done

-More poses in catch 'em all.

I'm still hoping to log some piano time, do some coding, and attend my Obstacle Course parkour training class.

side crow right (this is my bad side) - Cyndaquill

EE7D27CF-29D2-4E9A-89EC-5A95544B157E-371

Straight crow - Kadabra

2C556330-2EE9-478E-9784-D8F0946D643D-371

Eight Angle Left (my bad side) - Jolteon

E061C0D7-017E-431B-8D7E-403E68C65078-371

Down Dog Dancer - Kangaskan

B313FB34-D6D4-46AF-8DCE-DD28F3B34641-371

But now I'm at the point where I've blown through the poses I already could do, and mostly have ones that will take a lot of work.  

• Like 13

so many poses!

I'm in soup mode myself, and have been making 2-3 pots of soup on sundays to use up the last of our summer veggie bounty. I've been freezing about half of it. the trick for me is to remember what's in the freezer though! anyway, not saying you shouldn't eat all of your husband's soup, but maybe put it aside if you want some crock pot action too? you can always freeze the remainders.

Beauteous!  I've found the long nature walks help even in bad weather, as long as I am prepared for that bad weather.  Sometimes the bad weather makes them even MORE magical.  Hmmm...  soup.  

Down Dog Dancer - Kangaskan

B313FB34-D6D4-46AF-8DCE-DD28F3B34641-371

But now I'm at the point where I've blown through the poses I already could do, and mostly have ones that will take a lot of work.  

That Down Dog Dancer though!

Great, as if I needed another goal to shoot for...

Right?  ACHIEVE ALL THE POSES!

Also, I like that giant book-filled bookshelf.  I need me one of those :)

Do you do a lot of wrist/ankle mobility work?  I've always had that issue with hand balances and down-dog things...

• Like 1

Eeek.  I've been somewhat out of commission for the last 3 days, due to having my parents visit.  Now, it's time to play catch up.  And there sure is a lot of that.

Awesome!  

I never thought I'd hear YOU saying that.  So there is a limit to how much you can squeeze in all of the things.   ;)

Better, Hatter?   ;)  My arms are definitely fully extended and locked out on this one.  Really for me, it's a matter of a firm floor vs. a kind of squishy one.  All balances are so much harder on the squishy floor.  For the 16, remember that I had a head start and could already do a bunch of the poses.  And I need the head start.  I think I've tried just about everything on the list, and there are some poses I'm not even close to flexible enough to get.  

30F78DDE-1244-4C6C-A2F3-05FB10E60CAA-371

It was just teaching one class, so I haven't dropped much.  And I'm sure I'll find a way to add enough things to the agenda so I'm still doing ALL OF THE THINGS.

Thanks!

Damn it, this means both you and Raptron are one up on poses that I won't be able to do. :P 

Jk, it looks great! So do the other poses. Your side crow looks really nice, mine is all wonky and weird. And the down dog dancer is pretty, need to try that soon.

I'm in soup mode myself, and have been making 2-3 pots of soup on sundays to use up the last of our summer veggie bounty. I've been freezing about half of it. the trick for me is to remember what's in the freezer though! anyway, not saying you shouldn't eat all of your husband's soup, but maybe put it aside if you want some crock pot action too? you can always freeze the remainders.

Sure, but while the stated goal was to make soup, the point of it was just to have an abundance of healthy food available.  It seems kind of silly not to eat it just because my husband made it, and then to make more food just to get the point for the challenge.  :)  

Damn, girl, look at your amazing balances!

Thanks!

Beauteous!  I've found the long nature walks help even in bad weather, as long as I am prepared for that bad weather.  Sometimes the bad weather makes them even MORE magical.  Hmmm...  soup.  

As long as I'm prepared for it, I don't mind nasty weather.  I have a habit, though, of stepping out the door, thinking it isn't very cold, and then freezing my ass off after 4 minutes of being outside.  I just have to wear one more layer than I think I'll need.  

Your yoga game is strongggg!

Thanks!  

That Down Dog Dancer though!

Great, as if I needed another goal to shoot for...

Yup.  Let the addiction take hold!  Really, the super challenging poses are the fun ones.  It's so satisfying to nail them.

Right?  ACHIEVE ALL THE POSES!

Also, I like that giant book-filled bookshelf.  I need me one of those :)

Do you do a lot of wrist/ankle mobility work?  I've always had that issue with hand balances and down-dog things...

We do tons of wrist prep at the beginning of my parkour classes.  But honestly, I didn't start the yoga hand balances until after I had been climbing for over a year. So, my wrists and forearms were pretty built up by that point.  And thanks to all of the martial arts stuff, I've always had pretty flexible wrists.  

Damn it, this means both you and Raptron are one up on poses that I won't be able to do. :tongue:

Jk, it looks great! So do the other poses. Your side crow looks really nice, mine is all wonky and weird. And the down dog dancer is pretty, need to try that soon.

Yeah, but you're the only one of us who has the dragonfly/grasshopper pose down!  And I know I'm just flat out not flexible enough to do several of the poses.  I'll make an attempt using some sort of strap (I can't otherwise reach my foot with my hand in those poses).  But in my view, I can't count the pose if I'm using a strap.  

• Like 2

Sol 2 - continued

Sadly, my triumphant return to my Obstacle Course parkour class will have to wait another 7 sols.  My daughter has had a low grade fever for the last few days.  I had hoped she'd be feeling up to going to parkour today, but she's still not quite healthy enough.  That's okay, since my husband and I have also had some congestion issues.  Really, my body is fine with strength work, but I'm not getting the air flow that I'd need for any sort of cardio (which the obstacle course class most definitely is).

Instead, I did:

-15 minutes total of animal flow for the mini.  In addition to what I said earlier, I worked on the bridge -> plow transitions, ground kongs, pigeon pose switches, and some jumping from a narrow down dog into crow.  

-Age of Pandora Chapter 20

-30 minutes of balance yoga

-a little extra hand balancing practice.  I played around with baby grasshopper, and I can for the most part do this one too.  I would like a bit more practice and polish before I try to claim it.  

-3 lessons in my coding class

-15 minutes of piano

So, for the challenge, that puts me at: 

2/5 days of no breakfast bars; 0 alcoholic drinks; 0/1 crock pot meals; 1/2 squat session;  2/5 prehab sessions; 15/60 minutes toward mini; 15/60 minutes of piano.

• Like 7

That's an impressive substitute for the parkour work. Much better than lounging in front of some dead-end of the internet kidding yourself that you were "too tired anyway", which is my typical workout substitute....

What were you learning on the piano?

• Like 1