• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Whew! Just got caught up!

1st off, how are things with your daughter going? I echo what everyone else has said about that situation and think you handled it quite well.

Secondly, I still haven't seen Ash vs Evil Dead yet and already have it planned to go to my dads this weekend and watch it! How was it???? I'm so stoked for it! 

Thirdly, all your hand balancing poses are sharp looking. Extremely well done. Love all the Pokemon references! 

Fourthly, how is Red Rising? Are you onto Golden Son, yet?

Wolf

• Like 1

That's an impressive substitute for the parkour work. Much better than lounging in front of some dead-end of the internet kidding yourself that you were "too tired anyway", which is my typical workout substitute....

What were you learning on the piano?

Ooh, yes, tell of of your piano adventures!

I guess that's a good sign of good habits.  When I have to miss parkour or climbing, I feel guilty if I don't come up with some other way to exercise.  :)

I'm actually really slumming it on the piano right now.  I've been playing through a lot of this legend of zelda piano book.  And I've messed around with Pathetique and Moonlight Sonatas a bit.  It's been over 3 months since I've touched the piano at all, and probably closer to a year since I've played regularly, so I don't feel up to the fun stuff, like some of my favorite Chopin stuff yet.  

Whew! Just got caught up!

1st off, how are things with your daughter going? I echo what everyone else has said about that situation and think you handled it quite well.

Secondly, I still haven't seen Ash vs Evil Dead yet and already have it planned to go to my dads this weekend and watch it! How was it???? I'm so stoked for it! 

Thirdly, all your hand balancing poses are sharp looking. Extremely well done. Love all the Pokemon references! 

Fourthly, how is Red Rising? Are you onto Golden Son, yet?

Wolf

1. She's doing okay.  I'm still waiting and seeing whether this is just routine 2nd grade girl drama that will blow over in a week, or whether this is the start of social issues.  She has found other friends to sit with on the bus, so at least that's good.  2. Ash vs. Evil Dead is the same old campy horror that we all know and love!  :) The first episode had a lot of intro, so I'm expecting the next few to be a bit faster paced.  3. I can't take any credit for the Pokemon stuff.  That's all from Raptron!  4. I really enjoyed Red Rising, and I have the e-book for Golden Son on hold at the library.  I should get it sometime in the next month.  But damn you for recommending a trilogy that isn't yet finished!  Now I'm going to have yet another series where I'm stuck waiting for the next book to come out.  ;P

No heat from me.  Love Sam Axe and all things Burn Notice. 

Also love how nonsense Jeffrey Donovan is being in Fargo this season, but I keep expecting him to bust out some super spy shit.

Yes!  I can't really see any of the actors anymore without thinking of their Burn Notice counterparts.  It's really awkward when I see something that has Gabrielle Anwar in it, like the old Three Musketeers movie, since I expect Fi to start blowing things up.  

sam-axe-mojito_0.png

• Like 2

1. She's doing okay.  I'm still waiting and seeing whether this is just routine 2nd grade girl drama that will blow over in a week, or whether this is the start of social issues.  She has found other friends to sit with on the bus, so at least that's good.  2. Ash vs. Evil Dead is the same old campy horror that we all know and love!   :) The first episode had a lot of intro, so I'm expecting the next few to be a bit faster paced.  3. I can't take any credit for the Pokemon stuff.  That's all from Raptron!  4. I really enjoyed Red Rising, and I have the e-book for Golden Son on hold at the library.  I should get it sometime in the next month.  But damn you for recommending a trilogy that isn't yet finished!  Now I'm going to have yet another series where I'm stuck waiting for the next book to come out.  ;P

1. *Crosses fingers this drama blows over* 2. Yay! I kinda figured as much about episode 1, so that's why I'm waiting till Sunday to go over there and watch them- 2 eps at once!! 3. I know Raptron is the mastermind behind it all, but you're still rocking the poses :) 4. Golden Son rocks so much....AHH! Must. Not. Tell. Spoilers. And the reason I recommended an unfinished trilogy is because I need more people to share my pain! Muwhahahaha! Morningstar comes out next February I believe. I'm contemplating taking a day off work to listen...#FanBoy #RiseoftheReaper

Wolf

1. *Crosses fingers this drama blows over* 2. Yay! I kinda figured as much about episode 1, so that's why I'm waiting till Sunday to go over there and watch them- 2 eps at once!! 3. I know Raptron is the mastermind behind it all, but you're still rocking the poses :) 4. Golden Son rocks so much....AHH! Must. Not. Tell. Spoilers. And the reason I recommended an unfinished trilogy is because I need more people to share my pain! Muwhahahaha! Morningstar comes out next February I believe. I'm contemplating taking a day off work to listen...#FanBoy #RiseoftheReaper

Wolf

I feel your pain.  No spoilers, but that ending...

When-Ron-Gives-Us-New-Expression-Shock.g

• Like 1

4. Golden Son rocks so much....AHH! Must. Not. Tell. Spoilers. And the reason I recommended an unfinished trilogy is because I need more people to share my pain! Muwhahahaha! Morningstar comes out next February I believe. I'm contemplating taking a day off work to listen...#FanBoy #RiseoftheReaper

I'm an old school A Song of Ice and Fire veteran, so I really, truly know the pain of waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the next book.  At least this one has a release date, so it shouldn't be too bad.  Now, I just need the library to deliver book 2.  :)

Um..   Great.  ;)

Zelda? Not fun? Does not compute....

You are rocking everything. Share some piano? Maybe? ;)

The Zelda is fun, but it's not as complex as the stuff I normally would play.  I may get around to recording some of it at some point.  We will see.  Piano is one of those things where I hate setting expectations or stressing myself out in any way, because it just makes me not want to play.  I tend to use it more for stress relief, so setting things up to make it in any way stressful doesn't really work for me.  

Anyway...

Sol 3 update:

For once, I could teach the kids' class without having to worry about taking and teaching other classes in the evening.  So, I could spend a lot more time doing "follow the leader" drills and otherwise getting a workout from teaching.  I also, as always, had to haul around a bunch of heavy boxes.  Teaching parkour has made me used to being a beast of burden.

And then there was climbing in the evening.  Climbing was a mixed bag, in that a bunch of new routes were set, which let me pound things out for about 30 minutes.  But then the wall had a kid invasion, and I couldn't really climb as much as I'd like.  I flashed a new V4 that had a really flexible and balancy start.  Yoga FTW.  And I made some great progress on some really brute force burly new routes.  But, on the down side, I fell at the exact same spots on the two 5.10+ - 5.11 routes I'm working on.  Grrr...  It doesn't help that I'm not even trying the routes until after I've already tired myself out from bouldering, though.  I bet I could send both of those routes if I tried them first sometime.  

I also did my prehab stuff yesterday, as well as making some great progress with my coding lessons.  Since I did a lot of animal movement stuff in the parkour class I was teaching, I'm giving myself +10 minutes toward the mini.  

I'm still breakfast bar and booze-free for the week!  Woot!  I also was able to channel my nervous energy into some coding, and that actually worked okay.  

• Like 7

All I have available for climbing is the one outdoors climbing wall I've already showcased in last challenge.  Unfortunately the weather may soon necessitate abandoning its use.

Bummer.  Trees and structures it is!

• Like 1

That sounds like an absolutely excellent day 3 :)

So you'll do those routes first next time? 

Of course not. ;)  I'm just much much more into the bouldering, so I'm totally going to tackle those bouldering routes first.  I honestly don't care that much about the top rope routes.  

Woooot for all the additional pose pictures you've claimed. :)

Thanks. :)  My progress will be halting soon, though, since I've already posted all of the things I could already do.  Now, I have to actually learn new poses.  

You are awesome. That's great about the class and the climbing.

*Goes off to find climbing gyms in my town.

All I have available for climbing is the one outdoors climbing wall I've already showcased in last challenge.  Unfortunately the weather may soon necessitate abandoning its use.

Bummer.  Trees and structures it is!

Yes.  Everyone should climb!  It's like taking grip training, pull ups, inverted rows, toes to bar, some balance work, and even a little squatting and pushing, and then wrapping all of that into a fun little package.  

Sol 4 update:

I actually have decent DOMS from the parkour and climbing yesterday (as well as all of the squats and lunges from AoP), so I was really meh about going to yoga.  Normally, I'm out the door early for my classes, and today I just couldn't get my shit together.  It's like the universe was telling me to skip class.  But I went anyway.  And it was nice.  For once, I didn't really get creative with my flows and throw in arm balances.  But I was really nailing a bunch of balances and strength stuff.  I initially planned to do my squats right after yoga, since I was already in the gym and would have easy access to all of the weights.  But my body noped the hell out of that.

I only managed one lesson, but it was an incredibly long one.  I had to make an app as part of the lesson, and then follow along as the instructor explained how to do things better than I had done them.  ;)  

So, as things stand for the challenge:

-Animal flow for mini: 30/60 minutes

-Booze: 0/2; no breakfast bars: 4/5 days; crock pot: 1/1*

-squats: 1/2; prehab 3/5; 

-coding book - moving right along

-piano: 40/60 minutes

I made an executive decision to give myself points for the crock pot meal, even though I didn't cook it.  The goal is an eating goal, not a cooking one.  So, as long as I'm taking advantage of having healthy, yummy soup in the house and using it to eat cleanly, I decided that it doesn't matter much who dumped the ingredients in the crock pot.    

• Like 7

I made an executive decision to give myself points for the crock pot meal, even though I didn't cook it. The goal is an eating goal, not a cooking one. So, as long as I'm taking advantage of having healthy, yummy soup in the house and using it to eat cleanly, I decided that it doesn't matter much who dumped the ingredients in the crock pot.

Solid as Adrian's Wall. The whole point is being healthy so it's no use to worry about who cooked this meal or that healthy snack (unless you're in a strictly cooking challenge of course)

• Like 3

I never thought I'd hear YOU saying that.  So there is a limit to how much you can squeeze in all of the things.   ;)

Nope, there's a limit to how much I choose to squeeze into my challenge at the moment. There's a big difference ;)

• Like 3

OOF climbing DOMS.  I have known that pain.

In terms of progressing through hand balances, have you thought about venturing more into gymnastics?  Doing handstand/planche type stuff?  It seems like you're already well on your way towards that kind of accomplishment...

• Like 1

I made an executive decision to give myself points for the crock pot meal, even though I didn't cook it.  The goal is an eating goal, not a cooking one.  So, as long as I'm taking advantage of having healthy, yummy soup in the house and using it to eat cleanly, I decided that it doesn't matter much who dumped the ingredients in the crock pot.    

good soup decision! I am in MAKE ALL THE SOUP mode more from a "must use up all the vegetables in my fridge from the farmer before they spoil" perspective, so I'm just making piles of soup with no intention to eat in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

When-Ron-Gives-Us-New-Expression-Shock.g

I thought the saaaaaaaaame thing.... *sighs*. HURRY UP LIBRARY!!

It totally counts. Crock pot meals for the win, most definitely! What did you make this time? I still need to try your sweet potato soup one..which will most likely happen this weekend :)

Wolf

• Like 1

Of course not. ;)  I'm just much much more into the bouldering, so I'm totally going to tackle those bouldering routes first.  I honestly don't care that much about the top rope routes.  

This made me smile. :)

It's really tricky to find the balance between warming up too little and too much. Warm up too little and you're not on top form to tackle the hard problems but if you wait too long the grip gets fried...

Solid as Adrian's Wall. The whole point is being healthy so it's no use to worry about who cooked this meal or that healthy snack (unless you're in a strictly cooking challenge of course)

I've always been much more of a "Spirit of the Law" than a "Letter of the Law" kind of person, especially when I'm the one making the laws in the first place.  ;)

Nope, there's a limit to how much I choose to squeeze into my challenge at the moment. There's a big difference ;)

Okay.  Fair point.  ;)  

OOF climbing DOMS.  I have known that pain.

In terms of progressing through hand balances, have you thought about venturing more into gymnastics?  Doing handstand/planche type stuff?  It seems like you're already well on your way towards that kind of accomplishment...

I've never been fully free of climbing DOMS.  The better I get, the harder I push with everything.  ;)  I have tried doing lots of handstands, but I'm frequently frustrated with the very slow progress.  Like a lot of people, I'm at that point where I can pretty consistently kick up and hold a freestanding handstand for about 5 seconds, but I can't really re-adjust my balance once it's even a hair off.  I think that my core is way too weak for either the handstands or the planche.  I've just decided to take the more scenic route toward having the ab strength, rather than directly training it.  

good soup decision! I am in MAKE ALL THE SOUP mode more from a "must use up all the vegetables in my fridge from the farmer before they spoil" perspective, so I'm just making piles of soup with no intention to eat in a timely fashion.

I'm totally coming from a "want healthy food but am often too lazy to cook it" perspective.  ;)  If I have a case of the lazies, I'd rather heat up some healthy soup than grab junk or do some other microwave meal.  For once I'm not going to pack on 5 lbs over the holidays, damn it.  ;)

I thought the saaaaaaaaame thing.... *sighs*. HURRY UP LIBRARY!!

It totally counts. Crock pot meals for the win, most definitely! What did you make this time? I still need to try your sweet potato soup one..which will most likely happen this weekend :)

Now you're making me really nervous about reading this book.  ;)  I hope the library hurries up, though...  

The soup was a dry mix of lentils, yellow and green split peas, and wild rice + chicken broth, celery, carrots, and some weird spice my parents brought back from Bosnia.  They're always taking these huge vacations, and then bringing back local alcohol and spices, which is honestly pretty awesome!

This made me smile. :)

It's really tricky to find the balance between warming up too little and too much. Warm up too little and you're not on top form to tackle the hard problems but if you wait too long the grip gets fried...

Yep.  A lot of it for me is that no matter how much I try to get into top rope, I just don't end up caring that much.  It's great to have around for the times when the bouldering part is packed and I can't get on the wall.  Or when they haven't changed the problems for awhile and I'm bored with them.  Or sometimes as conditioning filler.  But other than that, I'm pretty much always going to tire myself out with the bouldering.  

• Like 5

Sol 5 - update:

Today is really low key.  Fitness wise, I took a nice nature walk, did some animal flow, and did my prehab.  But that's it.  I'm still a bit tired and sore, and I want to make the most out of parkour class + open gym time tomorrow.

Diet goals are still solid for the week.  I also finished my required 60 minutes of piano for the week, and I'm only 15 minutes short of my animal flow time for the mini.  

Headspace crud

I'm starting to see some interesting trends on the Headspace Hacking spreadsheet.  Most of the time, my problem is anxiety, and it seems like I have 3 subtypes:

1. kind of a nervous overabundance of energy that needs an outlet; 2. something scheduled for later in the day that I'm too focused on and must fill time between now and then; and 3. just a more generalized anxiety.  

For type 1, working out pretty much banishes it.  It's almost like I have too much adrenaline and just need to burn it off somehow.  Piano works okay, as do walks, but sometimes they're just not quite enough.  It's kind of easy for me to tell when I'm in this mode, since I'll start pacing around the house and not really be able to sit still.

For type 2, I really just need to fill in the time until whatever scheduled event with something productive.  Preferably, I need to find something that will cause me to kind of lose track of the time, but then set an alarm on my phone.  I still haven't quite figured out type 3.  I guess that would be the time to try meditation, tea, yoga, or the like.  Fortunately, I mostly have type 1. 

I've also had a few cases of the mehs.  I'm still trying to get a handle on when I need to snap myself out of it so I can be more productive, and when I need to just curl up with a book.  

It is really interesting keeping track of some of this.  

• Like 4

Sol 5 - update:

Today is really low key.  Fitness wise, I took a nice nature walk, did some animal flow, and did my prehab.  But that's it.  I'm still a bit tired and sore, and I want to make the most out of parkour class + open gym time tomorrow.

Diet goals are still solid for the week.  I also finished my required 60 minutes of piano for the week, and I'm only 15 minutes short of my animal flow time for the mini.  

Headspace crud

I'm starting to see some interesting trends on the Headspace Hacking spreadsheet.  Most of the time, my problem is anxiety, and it seems like I have 3 subtypes:

1. kind of a nervous overabundance of energy that needs an outlet; 2. something scheduled for later in the day that I'm too focused on and must fill time between now and then; and 3. just a more generalized anxiety.  

For type 1, working out pretty much banishes it.  It's almost like I have too much adrenaline and just need to burn it off somehow.  Piano works okay, as do walks, but sometimes they're just not quite enough.  It's kind of easy for me to tell when I'm in this mode, since I'll start pacing around the house and not really be able to sit still.

For type 2, I really just need to fill in the time until whatever scheduled event with something productive.  Preferably, I need to find something that will cause me to kind of lose track of the time, but then set an alarm on my phone.  I still haven't quite figured out type 3.  I guess that would be the time to try meditation, tea, yoga, or the like.  Fortunately, I mostly have type 1. 

I've also had a few cases of the mehs.  I'm still trying to get a handle on when I need to snap myself out of it so I can be more productive, and when I need to just curl up with a book.  

It is really interesting keeping track of some of this.  

Great observations. One reason I started to get back into scrapbooking was that I figured out is was something that kept my mind totally occupied and not be anxious.