• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Zelda is fun, but it's not as complex as the stuff I normally would play.  I may get around to recording some of it at some point.  We will see.  Piano is one of those things where I hate setting expectations or stressing myself out in any way, because it just makes me not want to play.  I tend to use it more for stress relief, so setting things up to make it in any way stressful doesn't really work for me.  

Totally fair.  I had to try.  ;)

Headspace crud

I'm starting to see some interesting trends on the Headspace Hacking spreadsheet.  Most of the time, my problem is anxiety, and it seems like I have 3 subtypes:

1. kind of a nervous overabundance of energy that needs an outlet; 2. something scheduled for later in the day that I'm too focused on and must fill time between now and then; and 3. just a more generalized anxiety.  

For type 1, working out pretty much banishes it.  It's almost like I have too much adrenaline and just need to burn it off somehow.  Piano works okay, as do walks, but sometimes they're just not quite enough.  It's kind of easy for me to tell when I'm in this mode, since I'll start pacing around the house and not really be able to sit still.

For type 2, I really just need to fill in the time until whatever scheduled event with something productive.  Preferably, I need to find something that will cause me to kind of lose track of the time, but then set an alarm on my phone.  I still haven't quite figured out type 3.  I guess that would be the time to try meditation, tea, yoga, or the like.  Fortunately, I mostly have type 1. 

I've also had a few cases of the mehs.  I'm still trying to get a handle on when I need to snap myself out of it so I can be more productive, and when I need to just curl up with a book.  

It is really interesting keeping track of some of this.  

Loving reading your thoughts and observations.  Keep sharing!  U R SMRT.  :)

Following you. I actually never knew you had any anxiety or mood issues. I never would have guessed. You always seemed so solid and full of mental fortitude. I'm interested in seeing your progress with the headspace crud...maybe it will inspire me to work out some of my own issues.

Sol 6 - Parkour!  Because every Saturday is happy Parkour fun time!

My kid class was a bit of a mess, since I had 2 boys who were constantly fighting and pushing each other (one of them being my kid)  :nightmare:  and a little girl who cried and was clinging to her parents a long time.  But by halfway through the class, everyone was having a great time and I had full control over the class.  So, it all ended up being fine.   :)

During the hour between classes, I did my prehab work, rail balancing, rail precision jumps, work on rail walking bails, some vaulting, gate vaults at height (video will be at the end of the post), and some other skills.  Then, during my class, I worked on just about every type of vault, and I finally got a good handle on reverse vaults.  I had been spinning myself so out of control on the takeoff that while I'd easily clear the box, I'd end up splatting on the landing pretty badly.  Now, I have it reined in pretty well.   :)  I also had a great chance to work on some fun spider climb drills, and I'm at a point where I can fully do a leaping spider.  Now, I just need to start from far away and use a trampoline, so I can be ready for the jumping spider in ninja warrior.  

I had plans to get together with some friends tonight, which was going to sabotage my anti-booze goal pretty badly.  But plans fell through.   :(  So, I guess I'm hanging out at home and deciding whether to watch Doctor Who or Ash vs. Evil Dead.  I still owe a set of weighted squats and about 10 minutes of animal flow tomorrow.

Here's the gate vault done high enough to kind of handspring out of it.  They are so much fun!  I did maybe 20 of these in a row.  

• Like 9

Gate vault = awesome!

Sorry your plans fell through..... is it wrong to point out the booze bright side now? x)

Also so impressive you can keep a kids class under control! I want this super power!

Nope, there's a limit to how much I choose to squeeze into my challenge at the moment. There's a big difference ;)

Okay.  Fair point.   ;)

Reading those in retrospect, life is not without its sense of irony....

Gate Vaults look impressive! Done in a sequence with enough flow and momentum, you'll look like a ninja

Errrhmmm, Not a double post. Just wanted to post a good quote.....

“As muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone, it could be argued that those who sit quietly and do nothing are making one of the best possible contributions to a world in turmoil.â€

• Like 1

Sol 1-7 summary:

I'm beginning to think I'll survive this mission and last through my rendezvous on Sol 42.  

Goal 1 - Rations:  Normally, rationing my food is not a great goal for me, as I tend to get hangry and I really love eating.  I was worried that I would pig out and eat the "save for thanksgiving" or the "hab departure" or the other special meals.  But, thankfully, I've been pretty well behaved.   :)  I avoided breakfast bars 6 days, when the goal called for 5.  The one area of improvement is that I often just didn't eat anything in its place, rather than making eggs, oatmeal, or something a but more substantial.  I had 2 drinks for the week, which is well within tolerance.  Saturday night was sake (and I used this for beer yoga - still need to post the picture), and Sunday was a glass of the TJ Vintage Ale.  Yum!  While I didn't cook a crock pot meal, my husband did, which lead to at least 5 meals of yummy, healthy soup.  So far, so good on this goal!

84791-vintage-ale-2013.png

Goal 2: Prehab was fine, and I did my 5 days.  I really don't understand why it's so hard for me to just do 5 minutes of stretching and foam rolling without a goal urging me to do it.  But it somehow is.  Squatting is going well, and I completed a second session, this time at 30 lbs.  And I'm going to ramble about my squatting behind the cut.  And I'm also going to ramble about a new physical therapy thing I'm going to try for the rest of the challenge.  Feel free to skip.  I'm right on track with this goal.

Before my knee injury, I was routinely doing 3x10 sets of 50 lb goblet squats.  But looking back, I realize that I didn't have particularly good form with these.  I was just going to that point where my hips were slightly lower than my knees, and because my ankle mobility isn't great when I'm low in a squat, I was rocking up onto the balls of my feet entirely too much, or I had to fan my feet out into closer to a plie squat.  I could be wrong on this (and if any squat pros actually read this and want to chime in, please feel free), but my solution to maintain better form is to just use a single puzzle mat under my heels, such that I can still keep my toes in proper alignment (so maybe 10-15 degrees fanned out) and my weight back on my heels.  This is letting me go really deep into the squat, and I feel like I'm getting much better posterior chain activation.  I did 5x5 at 30 lbs last session, and it didn't seem to irritate my knees at all.  So, I'm going to slowly plod forward and just keep adding 5 lbs each session until I reach a point where I fail at my 5x5 or where I end up with excessive knee irritation.  The whole thing is interesting for me, since I feel like I could squat a lot of weight if I just went to horizontal thighs, but I'm really weak in the hole on the squats if I go beyond.  

Also, even though it honestly minimally impacts me for parkour or just about anything else, I'm frustrated that I still lack a lot of active ROM in my knee.  Meaning, I can grab my leg and pull my heel to my butt, but if I try to use my muscles to lift my lower leg in that way, there's a SIGNIFICANT lack of ROM compared to my other leg.  Since my knee isn't actually that tight right there, but I just seem to lack some muscle strength at that part of the ROM, I'm testing some elastic band exercises to re-gain some of that strength.  I don't know if my issues are just common side effects of ACL hamstring auto-grafts, whether I'll ultimately be successful in re-gaining any active ROM, or whether it'll actually make any difference at all for parkour or climbing performance, but it seems like I ought to try.

Goal 3: I honestly have no idea how feasible the goal of finishing my Xcode course is, since a lot of the lessons are getting longer and more involved.  But I'm taking this goal as a reminder that the coding lessons are very high priority.  I could use a bit more focus on these, but I think I accomplished a lot over the first week.

Goal 4: Data collection is going well, and I'm starting to have new insights as to the way my headspace operates.  

Piano: 60 minutes for the week DONE!

Catch 'Em All - I need to step up my game, since Raptron and Hatter both just unloaded a bunch of poses.  I'm going to aim for baby grasshopper and shoulder pressing pose this week.

Mini participation: I completed my 60 minutes of animal flow work.  

So far, things are going well!  I just have to remember to stay focused through all of the upcoming holiday and kid birthday stuff.

• Like 5

Tentative plans for the upcoming week:

Monday: Catch 'Em All; climbing

Tuesday: squats, extra mobility

Wednesday: parkour

Thurs: yoga (self directed, though.  My kids' school Thanksgiving dinner conflicts with my normal hot yoga class.  

Friday: climbing?

Saturday: parkour

Sunday: rest

And I'll be sure to squeeze this week's mini in somewhere, as soon as it's posted.  :)

• Like 3

It sounds like you're actively seeing a physical therapist?  Definitely talk to them about your concerns about your active range of motion in that leg.  They should have some ideas for you, and honestly, some manual resistance work with a therapist will tell you a lot.  Many clinics are focused on functional range of motion, but usually that's just because that is all their clientele wants.  Lots of therapists would be thrilled to have the extra challenge.  When I was practicing, we LOVED a willing and motivated client!

It sounds like you're actively seeing a physical therapist?  Definitely talk to them about your concerns about your active range of motion in that leg.  They should have some ideas for you, and honestly, some manual resistance work with a therapist will tell you a lot.  Many clinics are focused on functional range of motion, but usually that's just because that is all their clientele wants.  Lots of therapists would be thrilled to have the extra challenge.  When I was practicing, we LOVED a willing and motivated client!

Nope.  I'm not actively seeing one.  Usually, they kick out out of physical therapy around 4.5 months post-op for an ACL, since the insurance only covers so many visits.  My knee is considered to have "full ROM" in a clinical sense, and the vast majority of the moves I would need in parkour or climbing are not at all affected by this, so I don't think there's much a PT would do for me.  It just kind of (irrationally to some extent) irritates me that I can't actively tuck the leg as much as I'd like or as much as I can do the other one.  

Nope.  I'm not actively seeing one.  Usually, they kick out out of physical therapy around 4.5 months post-op for an ACL, since the insurance only covers so many visits.  My knee is considered to have "full ROM" in a clinical sense, and the vast majority of the moves I would need in parkour or climbing are not at all affected by this, so I don't think there's much a PT would do for me.  It just kind of (irrationally to some extent) irritates me that I can't actively tuck the leg as much as I'd like or as much as I can do the other one.  

Well, a good PT could probably still do you some good, but finding one and, just as importantly, finding a way to have insurance cover it is an entirely unpleasant adventure.  I haven't treated patients for 14 years, but my husband is the best PT I know.  ;)  Sadly, he works mostly with amputees and neurologically impacted patients, so I don't think he's real up-to-date with post-ACL rehab.  I'll ask him later if he has any input.  Honestly, some resistance band work would probably be good and I would just do it in that end range as much as possible.  If you can recruit a helper, some manual resistance in that end range would be really good because they can adjust the resistance to your strength as it changes through the range.

Catch 'Em All update:

I'm not sure which Baby Grasshopper Raptron intends to use.  If it's this one, then I claim it with

2FA15DD3-C5FE-451F-BDF0-DF3DC4DDE778-666

And if it's this one, I claim it with:

5C029102-229E-418F-B47E-6403C3C0B334-747

And dragonfly/grasshopper is here:  Yeah, I decided that while using shoes was right out, using grippy yoga socks was perfectly fine for practicing yoga.  ;P  It still needs some work, but it's definitely dragonfly pose.  

94A1C499-5054-41D5-B908-C8004EF4434D-747

I also tried the rooster one (which is basically crow with feet in lotus), and I have no idea how to get up into crow.  Or, I can put my legs in lotus while using my arms, but then I can't hop it up into crow.  Or I can try to do a headstand to crow transition, but I can't get my legs in lotus without the use of my arms.  Since I'm pretty sure both Raptron and Hatter can lotus their legs without using their arms, it'll be interesting to see (when either of them get around to trying this pose) whether the headstand to crow transition is the easiest way to go.  

• Like 6

Boom! Definitely a dragonfly! :) I meant the first one, I think, but double points for both! Give yourself a Pokemon for that one! I plan on knocking out a ton of the crow variations I haven't captured yet tomorrow, but then should be free to play with more of the stranger ones later on in the week. 

Super solid week! That vault does look fun and you definitely get some block/height out of it! 

• Like 1

If you want to compare notes on band exercises to increase that strength/rom in the hamstrings/glutes just let me know (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about with bringing your foot up to your butt under your own power)  I have noticed that the hamstrings were basically the last to come back on my first knee, probably because the rehab is so quad heavy.

If you want to compare notes on band exercises to increase that strength/rom in the hamstrings/glutes just let me know (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about with bringing your foot up to your butt under your own power)  I have noticed that the hamstrings were basically the last to come back on my first knee, probably because the rehab is so quad heavy.

I'd love to!  Honestly, I didn't really have exercises to improve the pulling my heel up to my butt under my own power.  They had me doing heel slides and lifting heel toward butt with an ankle weight, but those really only seemed to help with that 135 degrees type ROM.  I also did machine hamstring curls, but again, they didn't at all get into that deep part of the ROM.  I can pretty easily pull my heel up to my butt with my hands, but if I release the heel, my leg falls down pretty far.  

What I'm trying to do right now is to hold my heel up to my butt, contract the hamstrings, and try to assist as little as possible with my hands.  i'm also doing the same but with an elastic band assist rather than a hand one.  And I'm trying to do negative heel slides, but starting with my leg pulled all the way in, making sure there's no friction at all between my foot and the ground, and then trying to slow down my foot's inevitable slide back out to the point where I can pull it using my muscles.  

Again, I'm probably just being silly and neurotic about this, as it isn't really affecting the parkour or climbing, and for yoga, it only is in the sense that it can be harder to lift my heel up into a hand grab for some poses.  I mostly feel as if there isn't really any tightness, but I just haven't really worked the hamstrings very much at that part of the ROM, so they're incredibly weak there.  

• Like 1

Sol 8 update:

-Catch em all: Caught dragonfly and baby grasshopper.  Confirmed that rooster is going to be really hard (maybe impossible) for me to get in the next 5 weeks.

-Climbing:  Bouldering today was a lot of fun.  I finally had a chance to focus on a bunch of the new routes.  Whew.  Just about everything is really hard.  They finally graded all of the routes (for a long time, everything was sitting ungraded), and I found that I nailed all of the 1s and 2s and a good portion of the 3s.  A lot of the ones I've been working on as projects are 3+ or 4s.  And many of the routes are pretty burly (muscle intensive).  

And this is why climbers need to do yoga.  This move involved a bit of human pretzel contorting just to get the heel hook in place and free that right arm.  I'm sorry that the picture is so dark.  The climbing wall in general is pretty dark, and I honestly like it that way.  I just wish the poor lighting didn't totally wash out my shoulder muscles.  

2A6D39AB-05DA-4F20-99D2-172952A917F2-764

Otherwise, as far as the challenge goes, I've had no booze today, no breakfast bars, I did my prehab and new hamstring ROM stuff, and I did another 2 lessons for Xcode/swift, including a pretty long one.  I haven't played piano today, and I haven't done anything for the mini (the new challenge hasn't been posted yet).

• Like 6

84791-vintage-ale-2013.png

I will require a review of this beverage upon taste testing.

I also tried the rooster one (which is basically crow with feet in lotus), and I have no idea how to get up into crow.  Or, I can put my legs in lotus while using my arms, but then I can't hop it up into crow.  Or I can try to do a headstand to crow transition, but I can't get my legs in lotus without the use of my arms.  Since I'm pretty sure both Raptron and Hatter can lotus their legs without using their arms, it'll be interesting to see (when either of them get around to trying this pose) whether the headstand to crow transition is the easiest way to go.  

Well, yoga balancing just found its way onto my schedule for the night...

• Like 1