• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

OK…first something I’m doing this 6-week period that’s not exactly part of the challenge…

Run 2 marathons ("double down" ).

I’m running a marathon at the end of week 1 and another at the end of week 6. I’m really out of shape now, so the second marathon should be much better than the first. Recovering, building back up, and tapering will be tricky. I have a lot of experience and I know what I need to do. This is my most important fitness goal right now, but I’m still thinking about how to work it into a specific challenge

Why am I doing this to myself? Reasonable question. I’m on a quest for 50 states (these would be #17 and #18). I’m doing the first because it was planned with friends a while back, before I knew my training would be interrupted by travel. I’m doing the second because it’s a good opportunity to knock out a state with a friend.

Actual challenge goals

1. Run 160 miles (including an attempt at 2 marathons). This goal is a little light, but it will force me to keep running.
  2. 500 pushups! These are scaled. Negatives count as 1 point, full pushups count as 3.
  3. Cross train – Goal is at least 10 times at the gym, typically alternating push and pull workouts. My normal plan would be to go twice a week, but I wanted a little flexibility with the marathon travel. Also I’m allowing full (1 hr+) vinyasa yoga classes to substitute. I think all this stuff is valuable, but I can’t do all of it at once.
  4. Swab the deck!  This is a sort of “adulting challenge†based on two types of chores:

“House elf†This is a list of 5 simple chores to do each morning. One point per day.

“Dreaded tasks† I have a list of 30 things of all sorts (some aren’t particularly dreaded). One point per task.

In theory 72 possible points, but I’ll be traveling for some of this. Going to set 50 points as the goal.

• Like 9

Oooh. I vote for Pirate theme, too! Of course, I'm not quite sure how two marathons in one challenge would fit into a pirate theme.

A Badassest Ranger Princess theme, though...

• Like 1

Sweet, double the race reports for us! I'm really interested to see how this works for you, especially with the recovery time. I can use it to plan my own summer insanity.

• Like 1

OK…first something I’m doing this 6-week period that’s not exactly part of the challenge…

Run 2 marathons ("double down" ).

I’m running a marathon at the end of week 1 and another at the end of week 6. I’m really out of shape now, so the second marathon should be much better than the first. Recovering, building back up, and tapering will be tricky. I have a lot of experience and I know what I need to do. This is my most important fitness goal right now, but I’m still thinking about how to work it into a specific challenge

I'm sorry, I just fainted from over-awesome. I'll be fine. Just a slight bump to the head.

Hot damn that's a lot of running commitment in a small amount of time!

These are full marathons?? You're nuts!  I know you'll totally kill it.

Hot damn that's a lot of running commitment in a small amount of time!

These are full marathons?? You're nuts!  I know you'll totally kill it.

Thanks! It's not a particularly smart running commitment. I usually like to be better trained and able to perform as well as I can...but my body should be able to handle this.

PIRATES it is mateys! :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:    I will work on dressing things up around here. Or at least add a lot of emoticons...damn, hit the emoticon max and had to delete some :-(. 

I've decided to have a mileage goal after all. It helps me kick my own butt out the door. Setting it at 160 over the 6 weeks. Hopefully will get higher, but this factors in some taper and recovery time. I'll think a little more about the challenge and post full details early next week.

But warning....posting will probably be light the next few days. I have a swashbuckling sailor (of sorts) coming to visit... Fortunately also a runner, so no problem on the challenge goals :-)

a319ced5aa6b3f6b06f849c20e8b5a18.jpg

• Like 8

As always, O_O at your endurance. 

What marathons are you doing?

Thanks Hiroro! Good to see you around again :-)  I'm starting with the Soldier's marathon in Georgia (this coming Saturday).

-----------------

I'm going to work on my challenge goals right now and will post tonight. Thinking I'm going to end up with goals in 4 categories (running mileage, pushups, gym/yoga, and "adulting").

Was debating adding a nutrition goal, but wasn't sure what it should be. Just found this:

Pirate-Food-Pyramid-1.jpg

• Like 7

Today was a perfect challenge day :-)

18 negatives, 3 mile run, morning house chores. After work renewed my gym membership and got in a good workout. I've lost a lot of strength, but at least that means that I had built up some strength in the first place (some times it's hard to keep track).

Thinking this is what I'll feel like after my marathon this weekend

58679813_6ca7158217.jpg

• Like 10

Forgot to mention, at the gym today, a guy was using the cable cross (which is kind of in the middle of the room and behind the dumbbell area where I was working). A finished a set and looked up to see him with his shirt raised, looking in the mirror, apparently checking out his own abs. Who the hell does that from halfway across the room in the middle of the gym? He was also an excessive grunter. Ick.

On the plus side, he was actually working out, as opposed to the "cell phone talkers" or the "Saturday morning loiterers".

• Like 6