• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

Got a big promotion at work yesterday. My professional title is now officially Pirate Queen (wow, you find some weird sketchy pictures if you search that on google!).

Grats on the promotion!  Is that a big jump in responsibility, or more a pay raise kind of promotion?

Getting in on this Pirate Queen business, but I wanna be the special snowflake.  First I found this, which could be Pirate!Rurik and Pirate!Xena...

953536-bigthumbnail.jpg

How about Steampunk!Pirate Queen?

steampunk-pirate-cosplay-04.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for all the well wishes! And it's been fun talking about the pictures out there :-)

HOW DID I MISS ALL THE PIRATE THEMES THIS IS SO UNFAIR

also, reading your workout planning makes me have to go lie down and breathe deeply

Planning doesn't always equal doing....

I hear you on the difficulty of finding sfw female pirates on google. It has severly held back my google-image game on your thread.

But I would not give up so easily on the day of your coronation.

Thanks Tank!! It's funny

Yeah, mine wasn't exactly a great pirate picture, but I wanted to get a treasure chest in there. And for a "pirate queen treasure chest" search, it was actually one of the less offensive ones. It's like chainmail bikini all over again.

heh heh...

Grats on the promotion!  Is that a big jump in responsibility, or more a pay raise kind of promotion?

Getting in on this Pirate Queen business, but I wanna be the special snowflake.  First I found this, which could be Pirate!Rurik and Pirate!Xena...

953536-bigthumbnail.jpg

How about Steampunk!Pirate Queen?

steampunk-pirate-cosplay-04.jpg

Love them both! And happy you found one of us together :-)

• Like 2

Yesterday got to the track a little late, so mileage shorter than I planned (2.5 mi). Earned some good karma by leading a little yoga session after. We recently got permission to use a classroom for stretching after our workouts. Such a huge bonus now that the weather will be getting colder.

Today did my push workout. Among other things, I let myself work in some full pushups for the first time in a couple days (elbow tendon was a bit sore). Got 4 full pushups (including 2 in a row for the first time this challenge) and the usual 15 negatives. Slowly building up on these. Was too lazy to run this morning and didn't want to run in the dark after work. Decided to try out the treadmill. Made it one mile before being overheated and miserable. Strengthened my resolve to try harder to get out on the road!

Week 3 update

As I was leaving the grocery store today, I was behind a black pickup truck that was proudly flying a big Jolly Roger. (I'm assuming that's an awesome whimisical touch and not the new symbol for some hate group or something). I'm taking that as a confirmation that all is well in Xena-land.

1. Run 160 miles 18 miles today (!).  Went pretty well, so I feel pretty good about my marathon in three weeks. Officially on a taper, but still hoping to get decent mileage in this week. Total of 30.5 miles this week. 71.3 to go for the challenge. Looking good.
  2. 500 pushups! These are scaled. Negatives count as 1 point, full pushups count as 3. I eased off a little this week because my elbow was a little grouchy. Got 110 negatives and 6 full, for a total of 128 points. Total of 344 points so far and 156 to go. Should have a modern-era cell phone before I know it :-).
  3. Cross train – Goal is at least 10 times at the gym, typically alternating push and pull workouts. My normal plan would be to go twice a week, but I wanted a little flexibility with the marathon travel. Also I’m allowing full (1 hr+) vinyasa yoga classes to substitute. I think all this stuff is valuable, but I can’t do all of it at once. Twice this week for a total of 5. Next week will be a litlte tricky with travel...will try to get 2 so I don't fall behind. This was the first week I tried some assisted parallel grip chin-ups. Going to try increasing the reps a bit. Want a chin-up progression to be part of my next challenge, so I'm trying to form a bit of a base (cuz it's all about the base...)
  4. Swab the deck!  This is a sort of “adulting challenge†based on two types of chores. I deleted the details because it's kind of boring... Aiming for 50 points total. 11 points this week (6 for daily chores and 5 for dreaded tasks). 30 done so far with 20 to go. The challenge was set up a little tricky...I can't earn points when I'm traveling. So I seem ahead, but it will still be a little tough. That's what keeps it interesting...or at least as interesting as housecleaning can be...

Pretty happy all around. It's always a relief to get a big run locked away. And I decided on a couple exciting racing goals for next year. Think I'll be doing my first 50 K!

• Like 6

Ooooh a 50K!!!  They have a couple of those up here in my mountains, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first try.   

Travel safe this week! 

Ooooh a 50K!!!  They have a couple of those up here in my mountains, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first try.   

Travel safe this week! 

I bet you could easily handle a 50K. You stay marathon-fit most of the year, anyway.

Thanks ladies! This one doesn't have any massive hills. It will be a challenge, but because it's on trail I don't really worry about time at all. Also it's more of a mainstream event, so I (theoretically) shouldn't have to worry about getting lost (unlike a much much smaller event back in Sept where I was derailed by "relocated" markers and malicious false trails).

Today was about as expected. 27 pushup "points" (15 neg, 4 full) and a decent-ish gym session. Still have to be careful on various bicep-y exercises. Ok at low weight, but can't increase without irritating the tendon. Not going to push these**. Will just stay low, do things that don't irritate and fill the sessions with extra core work.

*** So that means for the rest of this challenge: bicep curl limited to 10 lbs (dumbbells), assisted pull-up limited to "level 9", upright row and pull-up bar forbidden. If tendon isn't hurting, I can explore pushing one of these things each week during the bye weeks.

• Like 8

Ah yes, you run 18 miles when you are tapering off. Yep, definitely back to the usual Xena workout pace. I hope your elbow recovers quickly.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, you're on a taper already. So cool that we get to see you do two marathons in a single challenge. Way to go.

You'll kill the 50K. The increase in distance doesn't seem nearly as intimidating as hitting a marathon. I mean, many people go from 10K to marathon, or half marathon to marathon which is a doubling of their longest distance. This is an increase of just under 25%, not 100%.

Not to say it's easy - it's FIFTY FREAKING KILOMETERS. But after basically eating marathons for breakfast on a monthly basis, you'll have no issue with this. Good on you for pushing your goals even further when you're already being so great.

• Like 1

The dreadmill is boring, it's part of why I hath forsaken it.

oh, god, agreed. I hate that thing, I feel like a rat in a science experiment

• Like 2

Oh yeah, you're on a taper already. So cool that we get to see you do two marathons in a single challenge. Way to go.

Thanks! Yep...weird but oddly satisfying pacing. Do the marathon, recover and build up to one more long run, recover and run the other one. I'll be in better shape for this second one, so hopefully can improve a bit. But the marathon can be a little capricious, so it's hard to say.

oh, god, agreed. I hate that thing, I feel like a rat in a science experiment

I agree (about the dreadmill), but I secretly like doing science experiments on myself (and I know that you do too...biohacker!!). One of my favorite things about marathon is observing how my body and mind change during the race.

------

Today was good! I knew most people would be taking the day off, so I didn't feel too guilty coming in a bit late. Did my pushups (4 full, 15 negative) and went to the gym. After work ~5 miles during track workout then led a nice little yoga session (more like "yoga-inspired stretching"). I'm getting a little more confident about the yoga. I'm not trained as a teacher (and acknowledge my limitations), but I know which stretches are useful for runners.

It's funny...in most yoga classes I would be one of the least flexible students, but wow, put me in the middle of a bunch of middle-aged runners who don't stretch much, and I seem like a crazy pretzel-girl :-)

• Like 6

It's funny...in most yoga classes I would be one of the least flexible students, but wow, put me in the middle of a bunch of middle-aged runners who don't stretch much, and I seem like a crazy pretzel-girl :-)

It's impressive just how much flexibility runners DON'T have!  It was definitely an eye-opener for me at Camp and then when I started doing the yoga properly afterwards too.

• Like 2

Thanks! Yep...weird but oddly satisfying pacing. Do the marathon, recover and build up to one more long run, recover and run the other one. I'll be in better shape for this second one, so hopefully can improve a bit. But the marathon can be a little capricious, so it's hard to say.

I agree (about the dreadmill), but I secretly like doing science experiments on myself (and I know that you do too...biohacker!!). One of my favorite things about marathon is observing how my body and mind change during the race.

------

Today was good! I knew most people would be taking the day off, so I didn't feel too guilty coming in a bit late. Did my pushups (4 full, 15 negative) and went to the gym. After work ~5 miles during track workout then led a nice little yoga session (more like "yoga-inspired stretching"). I'm getting a little more confident about the yoga. I'm not trained as a teacher (and acknowledge my limitations), but I know which stretches are useful for runners.

Finally caught up! But I'm not even surprised anymore at how hard you kill it. Impressed, always. Surprised, nope.

And you always make me think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm a marathon might be 'fun'...

So...what stretches are most useful for runners? :D

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• Like 1