• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

I know what you mean. I always feel a little guilty when my friends retreat to battle logs (not really a retreat, just how it feels to me from over here). I try to be supportive, but somehow I don't seem to follow them as well.

I agree. I like to follow my friends' challenges. I also follow a couple battle logs, but the challenges have a lot more activity.

I'm willing to give 4-week challenges a try. Maybe it will be more motivating to choose goals that are not quite such a stretch and can be completed quickly. I won't be able to say "oh, I have three more weeks to do that". Most of my goals are to keep doing things on a regular basis. Hopefully I can come up with one interesting challenge a month.

• Like 1

Just do your own thing within the constraints provided, Xena.  As it stands, I'm quite pleased with the 4WC format from a theme perspective, but I have my doubts about the character/avatar system.  I don't think it'll suit my wildly creative imagination and my idea of what my NF character should look like, but I'll likely give it a shot all the same. 

• Like 2

I agree. I like to follow my friends' challenges. I also follow a couple battle logs, but the challenges have a lot more activity.

I'm willing to give 4-week challenges a try. Maybe it will be more motivating to choose goals that are not quite such a stretch and can be completed quickly. I won't be able to say "oh, I have three more weeks to do that". Most of my goals are to keep doing things on a regular basis. Hopefully I can come up with one interesting challenge a month.

I was thinking similarly...like you, many of my goals revolve around keeping up relatively well-estabilished routines. I like the idea of having one shorter-term interesting goal.

Good point. I think DR is the only lawyer I know of on the site, an he's pretty open-minded about challenge philosophy :-)

Couldn't help but smile reading this.You're too sweet.

As far as I've read,the jump from 6 to 4 week challenges is part of an effort to shift the focus towards making smaller and more sustainable changes over the course of less time. That might defeat the mid/late challenge doldrums and help newbies stick around,but I understand how it'll provide a narrower timeframe for completing your mileage. With all that said,I think it's highly suggested to attack your goals Tank-style and repeat them over and over again during several consecutive challenges.

• Like 3

Where are these new rules and avatar info published? Have we moved beyond Rurik's rumour mongering?

I resent that... never have I presented anything but the facts as I knew them at the time (even if I only hinted at some things to preserve the surprise)!  :tongue:  I don't dabble in rumors, haha.

The new challenge rules can be found at the link on the top of the forum browser page, but there is little to no specific info on the avatar system yet.  Beyond that, all we have at the moment is a semi-concrete challenge release ("late this week") and a potential deployment of the avatar system within a few days of that same release.

• Like 1

Thanks Rurik , I've just realised I'm still about 5 pages behind on the Great Hall chatter so I've seen Spezzy's writeup now. I might wait for the forum integration before making an NF character TBH tho.

D_R - 'Tank Style' , that might be the name of my next challenge!

"I knew he was bluffing"

• Like 2

Good couple of days. Gym Monday and Tuesday. Think I'm all set with good goals for strength training over at least the next month.

Pretty solid track workout today.

I think the stretching has been good. I've got a reasonable routine now, and it's starting to actually feel like a habit.

Will be traveling next week, so the strength training will need a little adaptation, but overall should be ok.

A little sad I won't be home for New Year's. I really like spending some time that day going through the house, cleaning out old things, getting set for a fresh new year. Guess I'll just make it a point to still do those things the following weekend.

• Like 3

A more official update when I get home, but Marathon Complete! It was a hot sticky day, and I felt pretty uncomfortable the whole time. I didn't feel good in my pace at the beginning (which wasn't all that fast), but somehow it just didn't get much worse (which is not always the case). I'm fairly happy with my time. At the beginning of this challenge, I set a goal (bonus, unannounced) for this race to be under 4:20. I came in at 4:21.29. Didn't quite make the bonus goal, but pretty darned close, especially considering the weather.

It's been a great trip. I knew it would be when I got this with lunch yesterday:

ih4pz5.jpg

Congrats on your marathon! You continue to amaze me.

AND you found the Official Ranger Beer!