• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

Full catch-up post and race report tomorrow (and catch-up on other threads).

For now, just a brief note. I'm delighted to have finished the marathon in 4:25. That's not a great time for me, but it is a FANTASTIC time for not having run over 12 miles since early September. Race went way better than I thought it would. More soon. Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

• Like 11

I know this forum mostly promotes healthy habits...but in the interest of semi-full disclosure. We went shopping for post-race snacks:

156zw9y.jpg

OMG TASTYKAKE MINIS GIVE THEM TO MEEEEEEE

I have attended several Ultra races lately and always crack up at the snacks that are brought.  Basically, everything that is up on that table... .but for middle of the race refueling.... cracks me up.  (I get it.  I still just find it amusing.)

Good luck tomorrow!

There's an ultrarunner - Dean something, it's escaping me now - who used to tell stories about calling Pizza Hut on his cell phone during races and having pizzas delivered to the rest stops so it'd be hot when he got there...

• Like 4

OMG TASTYKAKE MINIS GIVE THEM TO MEEEEEEE

Ah yes, my PAL-anon friend

There's an ultrarunner - Dean something, it's escaping me now - who used to tell stories about calling Pizza Hut on his cell phone during races and having pizzas delivered to the rest stops so it'd be hot when he got there...

Yep, Dean Karnazes :-)

-----------

One more little update. Wanted to share my motivation/incentive on the pushup goal. Lots of people are motivated by really noble impressive things like "setting a good example for my children" etc.

I am currently rocking a Blackberry Curve from the last decade :

curve-red.jpg

It was a good phone in it's day (which has long passed). I'm finally fed up, but I'm not "allowed" to upgrade until I finish my 500 pushups!

• Like 8

Thursday  House chores and 15 pushups in the morning, 39 “peer pressure†pushups in the airport. Some random situps that I very much regretted the next day.

Friday  3 mile “shake-down†run. Hot and humid.

Saturday  Soldier marathon! It was great. Nervous about the warm humid weather, but it didn’t really bother me. Course was pretty fun, and the whole race went much better than I deserved given lack of training. Plus, I think I’ve convinced my friend to run Michigan with me this Spring J

Sunday  Went to Senoia, Georgia to check out the zombie situation (Senoia is where the film “Woodbury†and “Alexandria†in “The Walking Deadâ€). It was awesome!

28802g6.jpg

Week 1 wrap-up

1. Run 160 miles (including an attempt at 2 marathons). 39.2 miles this week (120.8 to go). So far, so good. Next week will be a lighter recovery week.
  2. 500 pushups! These are scaled. Negatives count as 1 point, full pushups count as 3. 87 so far (all negatives). Should be able to get a lot more this week, hopefully working in full pushups.
  3. Cross train – Goal is at least 10 times at the gym, typically alternating push and pull workouts. Once last week. This was planned, due mostly to travel. Happy just to have started back.
  4. Swab the deck!  This is a sort of “adulting challenge†based on daily chores and bigger "dreaded tasks". 4/50 points so far. Did my chores every day that I was home. Will start on some dreaded tasks next week.
  • Like 7

That's awesome that you live close enough to visit the sites.  Glad there were no walker attacks while you were there.

It wouldn't have mattered. Xena would have started going out for a nice little jog and kept going so long that the walkers lost interest or their legs wore down to stubs and they couldn't keep up anymore.

When you can outlast tireless undead who literally only have one thought of chasing you, that's Xena. On the plus side, a herd of walkers would likely also chase her around enough to complete her marathon in every state after a few weeks. :)

• Like 7

Excellent race results. Not that anyone here is surprised. ;)  

I like your motivation of getting a newer phone. How far forward in technology are you going to jump?

Well done on the marathon. Most people do one in their lifetime and here you are running 2 every 6 weeks !

That is also well cool about Woodbury, glad the Governor's moved on !

Only gazbazillion posts behind!

On the plus side, a herd of walkers would likely also chase her around enough to complete her marathon in every state after a few weeks. :)

Some days I definitely need motivation!

That's a quarter of the mileage ticked off already! Make sure you recover properly before you start grinding too much more out though ;)

Thanks for the reminder. Will go very easy this week...just short easy stuff so I keep the habit.

I like your motivation of getting a newer phone. How far forward in technology are you going to jump?

Whichever version I can get without paying extra...think it will be Iphone 5 or similar..definitely from the current decade :-)

That is also well cool about Woodbury, glad the Governor's moved on !

I was a little nervous. He has a way of reappearing...

• Like 2

Thanks guys! It was fun. I'm psyched to try to have a more competitive race in December.

Yesterday 14 negatives plus one very shaky pushup. Gym "pull" workout and regular house chores.

Today 15 negatives and 2 miles easy (still recovering). regular house chorese.

Guessing that tomorrow I'll be recovered enough to crank out some "real" pushups. Also filling as "coach"/cheerleader in at track workout. Won't do the full workout, but it will be nice to see everyone.

Tomorrow is a holiday in the States. I will still work part of the day, but will use it as an opportunity to catch up on some house chores and batch cooking.

• Like 7

Tomorrow is a holiday in the States. I will still work part of the day, but will use it as an opportunity to catch up on some house chores and batch cooking.

I had to look at my calendar to figure out what you were talking about. I knew that 11/11 is Veteran's Day, but it never struck me as a holiday. None of the places I've ever worked give time off for it.

I hope you get to have fun and get a lot of things done with your open day.

Yay, I made it!! Hi Xena :)

Awesome job on your marathon!! I know you mentioned cross training and just letting you know...

Rucking is a great way to cross train ;)

Way to use Veterans Day to your advantage! Batch cooking FTW!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

Thanks guys! It was fun. I'm psyched to try to have a more competitive race in December.

What's more than a marathon?

Ok, just looked it up, are you talking about double marathons or multi-day races?  And also: you're crazy.   But crazy enough I know you'll rock it.

• Like 2

I had to look at my calendar to figure out what you were talking about. I knew that 11/11 is Veteran's Day, but it never struck me as a holiday. None of the places I've ever worked give time off for it.

There are a couple of other days off I would prefer (we used to get Columbus Day, which is near my B-day, and "Patriots Day" aka Marathon Monday, which I like for obvious reasons), but can't really argue against honoring our veterans.

Yay, I made it!! Hi Xena :)

Rucking is a great way to cross train ;)

Glad to see you, and can't argue against that logic. I like backpacking...that's sort of ruck-like, but I keep wanting to ditch the pack and run :-)

What's more than a marathon?

Ok, just looked it up, are you talking about double marathons or multi-day races?  And also: you're crazy.   But crazy enough I know you'll rock it.

I am becoming progressively more "curious" about doing an ultra some day ("ultra" is anything longer than a marathon, people usually start counting at 50K). But actually I meant I just wanted to run a better, faster, stronger marathon. I'm trying to finish the 50 States, but also trying to run them all to the best of my ability.

Yesterday (day off, but ended up working part of the day),

18 pts (1 full pushup, 15 negatives), daily chores and ~1 dreaded tasks (several partly done), ran 3 miles.

I was in charge of the track workout. The weather was TERRIBLE. Windy, cold and raining. And we had to run in the dark (holiday, so no one there to turn on the lights). It was still fun. I cut all the distances in half for myself because I'm still recovering. it's nice to legitimately slack a little.

Today

21 points (2 pushups, 15 negatives), daily chores and a dreaded task (cleaned the microwave), some yoga in the morning. Went to the gym after work. It was my push day, so I'm expecting pushups to be a struggle the next couple of days.

No annoying people at the gym today.

• Like 5