• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

I agree (about the dreadmill), but I secretly like doing science experiments on myself (and I know that you do too...biohacker!!). One of my favorite things about marathon is observing how my body and mind change during the race.

------

Ha! You do know me :)

• Like 1

have been away for some fun travel, so a bit light on some of the official challenge goals, but was healthy and active overall.

Week 4:

1. Run 160 miles. Only 16 last week for various reasons, so 55.3 to go. Doing fine overall.

2. 500 pushups. 146 points last week (20 full and 86 negatives). Up to 490/500. Will finish it tomorrow :-)

3. Crosstrain 10x. Made a good effort to get in a solid workout before my trip, so did 2 last week, which brings me to 7 total. Reasonably on track here.

4. Adulting 50 points (daily chores and dreaded tasks). Only 5 points last week (mostly because of travel), which brings me to 36. Gotta crank out a lot of it this weekend (because will be traveling again the last challenge week). Will be good incentive to get some stuff done.

This week so far

Monday...nothing

Tuesday...nothing

Wednesday...well, I guess I better make Wednesday awesome, huh?

New discovery of the week: I've been working on pushups and getting stronger. Haven't done a yoga class in a while. Was perhaps showing off a bit with some yoga this weekend and really tried to do a few nice vinyasas (especially pulling through from low plank into upward dog). My shoulder muscles (ant. delt, I think) were KILLING me the next day (the good kind of pain, just muscle in a nice balanced way). Which makes me think I need to do more of those! Next challenge...

• Like 7

Does your next marathon count towards your 55 mile goal? I hope so because aren't you supposed to be tapering or something like that?

Progress on the goals looks awesome. You've really got this down to a science on knowing how much to handle. Good job.

PS. I love good muscle pain.

New discovery of the week: I've been working on pushups and getting stronger. Haven't done a yoga class in a while. Was perhaps showing off a bit with some yoga this weekend and really tried to do a few nice vinyasas (especially pulling through from low plank into upward dog). My shoulder muscles (ant. delt, I think) were KILLING me the next day (the good kind of pain, just muscle in a nice balanced way). Which makes me think I need to do more of those! Next challenge...

Isn't it fun when you do an exercise that you've been doing a long time and suddenly realize "Oh those are the muscles I'm supposed to be using!"?

Great progress on the push ups!

• Like 2

grrr...a little under the weather. Have run myself down a bit over the last few days. Hopefully no big deal.

Get well soo. Or is the onset of Taper Madness?

• Like 1

I'm feeling better. I always get nervous the first day of being sick...I usually feel tired and hot/chilled (at the same time) and get a sore throat. It starts that way and then often gets worse. This time it hasn't. It seems to just be a cold, so I'm pretty lucky. Not just the taper madness, but not too bad.

I think I just got run down from some traveling and a very late night of working. Still have a cold, but it's not in my lungs, so (supposedly) it's ok to run. 5 miles today (felt ok) and planning to meet a group for a longer run tomorrow (will cut it short myself if I'm not feeling it).

On a happy, note, I finished my 500 pushups and have now replaced the dinosaur of a cell phone :-)

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about your blackberry

"I knew he was bluffing"

I actually thought about getting a new blackberry (Priv)...I mean anyone can get an iPhone, but who the heck has a blackberry. The Priv seems to be a legit phone (runs android), but then I saw the thing. it's giant...like the iPhone 6plus (or whatever the giant iphone is called). I just couldn't imagine carrying that thing around.

Feeling rundown plus taper tantrums is a bad combo. It's way to easy to get worked up about that and mentally, your body would start feeling worse about it. But you went out and kicked butt anyway. No scurvy or seasickness for this pirate queen!

And congrats on hitting the push up goal and your new phone. The pirate queen is getting high tech.

Kei-fires-at-Gaia-millitary-forces-2.jpg

• Like 2

Still kind of sick :-(  

But just a head cold, so went to the gym and for a run today. The run felt pretty good. 6 miles, and felt strong on the hills. Overall this week kind of light...travel, then intense work, then sick (probably from too much travel/work and not enough sleep), but challenge goals still within reach

1. Run 160 miles 16 this week, for a total of 120.7. 39.3 to go. I know that sounds bad, but as QuirkyDM pointed out, I have a marathon to run next week. I feel reasonably ready for the race and am really looking forward to the whole trip.

2. 500 pushups (negatives count for 1, full count for 3). Only 33 points this week (30 neg, 1 full), but it's enough to bring me to 523 (35 full pushups) and finish the goal! I'll keep going next week because I'm looking to set the bar for next time :-)

3. Go to the gym 10x. Forced myself to go today and glad I did. That brings me up to 8. I can do twice next week, but I'll need to really make it a priority (I head out of town on Thursday morning, so only have 3 days).

4. Swab the deck (housecleaning etc). 9 points this week...5 from daily chores (I was only here 5 days) and 4 from dreaded tasks. That brings me up to 45 out of a goal of 50. I need 5 more points...means I need to clean up every morning and find a couple more dreaded tasks that aren't too hard or dreaded....(getting to be slim pickings on the list, but there are still a few). I think I've got this one.

So this week, some easy runs and trying to fit in a couple gym workouts. Nothing too crazy. It all builds toward the big race on Saturday. Mostly just need to rest and be as healthy as possible  :-)

0ed3586ac6ceb9506f1cd97be6f9ab4b.jpg

• Like 10

Good to see you're still getting better.  On target for a clean sweep on all the challenges by the looks of things - one of them's even complete already!

2. 500 pushups (negatives count for 1, full count for 3). Only 33 points this week (30 neg, 1 full), but it's enough to bring me to 523 (35 full pushups) and finish the goal! I'll keep going next week because I'm looking to set the bar for next time :-)

Now that's a Ranger talking right there.

• Like 5

Good to see you're still getting better.  On target for a clean sweep on all the challenges by the looks of things - one of them's even complete already!

Now that's a Ranger talking right there.

Rangers gonna Ranger.

Pirate Ranger Queens gonna run Marathons.

• Like 3

Still kind of sick :-(  

But just a head cold, so went to the gym and for a run today. The run felt pretty good. 6 miles, and felt strong on the hills.

This is the Xena Badrangerassery everyone's been talking about. Seriously, I'm at a loss for words. Most people would simply roll themselves up into a blanket burrito and be miserable instead

• Like 5

This is the Xena Badrangerassery everyone's been talking about. Seriously, I'm at a loss for words. Most people would simply roll themselves up into a blanket burrito and be miserable instead

I do love good blanket burrito. I have a friend who swears that the best cold/flu remedy is drinking a bunch of red wine and going to sleep under a huge pile of blankets. Since nothing really works, and that's at least pleasant, I've chosen to adopt that strategy. Tried it Thursday night. Didn't cure me, but made me feel better for a couple of hours :-)

• Like 6

I do love good blanket burrito. I have a friend who swears that the best cold/flu remedy is drinking a bunch of red wine and going to sleep under a huge pile of blankets. Since nothing really works, and that's at least pleasant, I've chosen to adopt that strategy. Tried it Thursday night. Didn't cure me, but made me feel better for a couple of hours :-)

I endorse this strategy whole-heartedly, and for a variety of symptoms at that.

• Like 1

Ahead on some goals, behind on one or two... minor stuff, that.  You've done fantastic this whole challenge, Xena.  Keep chipping away and you'll see some amazing numbers by the end of the challenge!

Thanks Rurik. Made reasonable progress today:  27 pts (4 full, 15 negative pushups), went to the gym, did a dreaded task and daily chores, ran a miserable 3 miles on the treadmill.

Planned to run in the morning, but was too tired. Decided I would run after work and bring a flashlight. When it actually came time to do that, it seemed stupid to run on the completely dark, deserted bikepath by myself (remember now why I switched to morning running last winter). Will drag myself out again Monday morning.

I've done kind of the first little step toward testing out my next challenge. I've been doing assisted pull-ups on the machine. I've done it 3-4 times now, so I feel like I have a reasonable idea what's a safe baseline for me. Can start a little bit of a progression next cycle. During the inter-weeks, I'll play a little bit with some negatives, again to figure out what's a current safe baseline for me.

• Like 5