• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

Amazing job, as usual. :D  I'm sure you will knock off the rest of your challenge goals and have a great marathon. Will you get to do other fun things on your trip?

Amazing job, as usual. :D  I'm sure you will knock off the rest of your challenge goals and have a great marathon. Will you get to do other fun things on your trip?

No specific plans (no zombie filming location this time), but our schedule is pretty light, and I'm traveling with a fun friend. I'm sure we'll find something :-)

• Like 1

Thanks Rurik. Made reasonable progress today:  27 pts (4 full, 15 negative pushups), went to the gym, did a dreaded task and daily chores, ran a miserable 3 miles on the treadmill.

That's exactly how you tackle the start of Week 6!  Strong strong, carry on through the momentum, crush the ending!

...and then swing by the Winter Break mini-challenge to help hang the garland!

• Like 1

Pastry at work SOS

Pal-Anon stat

Eek! Imagine that all your co-workers have already touched all of them with their grubby unwashed hands ;-)

-------------------

Todays Update: Thank goodness for bad math skills

But first....too much yammering at the gym

Today I went to the gym in the morning because it was the only time I could fit it in. The downside was I had to listen to the old guys in the gym (this time, mostly one guy who talked a lot very loudly and didn't seem to spend much time lifting anything) talking about their opinions on Donald Trump's most recent comments. I won't get too political here, but I'll just say the loud-talker/non-lifter had views that were very different from mine. Fortunately there was a trainer involved in the conversation, and I agreed a lot more with what he was saying. Otherwise I would have been boiling over. That would be ok, I guess, if it translated into stronger lifts on my part, but I don't really think it works that way.

Anyway, the upside of this, it that now I think I've gotten "over the bar" for all my goals except the last big one...which is within reach!! (see below)  :-)

So...bad math skills....

(and I should know better). I remember calculating out my remaining mileage on Sunday and thinking it was very reasonable (as long as I finish the marathon). Then over the past couple days I somehow made an arithmetic mistake, and I thought I still had 7 miles + the marathon left after today. I was thinking and thinking about how to fit them in, and finally decided I was going to have to let the mileage goal slide (doing what I can to be ready and rested for the marathon is more important). Anyway, I got home tonight, double-checked my math, and saw I only have 2 miles left. Completely exactly perfect. I usually do 3 as a shakedown run the day before anyway.

tldr: as long as I finish the marathon, I'll complete all my goals :-)

• Like 11

I have complete and utter faith in your ability to crush your marathons, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their mileage, Xena

• Like 5

I'm so glad you didn't try to push those extra miles. And also glad the math didn't screw you over. Usually when I make a fitness math mistake, I pay for it dearly. (Miscounting plates on my lifts)

Just a few more days. Are you feeling like this was enough recovery time? The weekend will tell for sure, but you didn't seem to be suffering at all this challenge.

• Like 1

Just a few more days. Are you feeling like this was enough recovery time? The weekend will tell for sure, but you didn't seem to be suffering at all this challenge.

I think I'm ok on recovery. Of course you never know how you'll feel on race day. I know I haven't trained for peak performance, but I'm reasonably ready.

Bad math for the win! Good call to let it slide rather than pushing it and risking your race performance. Good luck, race day buddy!

Good luck to you too!!!

Victory-lap.gif

I cringe a the thought (would be a long lap!)

bankerr.jpg

Perfect!

• Like 5

A more official update when I get home, but Marathon Complete! It was a hot sticky day, and I felt pretty uncomfortable the whole time. I didn't feel good in my pace at the beginning (which wasn't all that fast), but somehow it just didn't get much worse (which is not always the case). I'm fairly happy with my time. At the beginning of this challenge, I set a goal (bonus, unannounced) for this race to be under 4:20. I came in at 4:21.29. Didn't quite make the bonus goal, but pretty darned close, especially considering the weather.

It's been a great trip. I knew it would be when I got this with lunch yesterday:

ih4pz5.jpg

• Like 11

It's been a great trip. I knew it would be when I got this with lunch yesterday:

ih4pz5.jpg

A Ranger IPA is about the only IPA I would drink.  Not usually much of a hops fan, but I would absolutely make an exception for our eponymous beverage!  ;)

• Like 2