• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena doubles down

Thanks everyone...I guess I'll give a little more marathon recap, a challenge wrap-up and my own 3-week mini

Not too much else to say about the marathon. I think I did about what I trained for. It was 4 minutes faster than the marathon I did at the beginning of the challenge, but I think the conditions were also tougher. To get better, I think the biggest gain would come from hard tempo runs. The best way for me to do those is running with other people. Over the next couple of months, I'll focus on keeping my base up as much as possible, and taking advantage of good weather for harder runs.

Week 6 and Challenge Wrap-up

Overall:  My biggest goal was really to run 2 marathons during the challenge (shortly after a few weeks of little or no running). As Tank would say, I rangered it! The challenge really helped me to get the mileage in, to keep up with lifting and to keep my house from degenerating into chaos.

Run 160 miles: I got 39.3 this week, to come in exactly at 160. Not really a coincidence...I slacked a little more than I intended in weeks 4-5 (some travel, some minor cold) and pretty much knew how much I could afford to slack. Ideally would have gotten in a bit more, but I'm satisfied.

500 (scaled) pushups: (1 pt for each negative, 3 pts for each full) 45 points this week...yes, I've been slacking a little. Total of 568 points, including 42 full pushups. Up to a maximum (on a good day) of 6 full pushups, broken into 3 sets. I've definitely been improving and need to keep up the habit. I'll re-work this goal into my own mini and my next full challenge.

Cross train 10x: I made it to the gym exactly 10 times, and I had to be a little creative to fit in 3 of those. I'm positive I wouldn't have gotten in those 3 extra workouts without the challenge (maybe not even the 7 "normal" ones). Have a pretty solid idea of my baseline now and a couple specific things I want to add and improve.

Swab the deck (50 points from "domestic rangering" / "adulting"): Exactly 50 points during the challenge (31 from daily chores, 19 from dreaded tasks). This was surprisingly hard due to a fair bit of travel. I am keeping up with my list though...knocked one more thing out today (dreaded dental cleaning).

....going to post this now, and my "personal minichallenge" next :-)

• Like 6

Personal mini-challenge

but first, a mermaid kitten :-)

bf336dbbe258ed2d77125d7f132c0131.jpg

Ok, we most likely have 3 weeks. I'll be traveling a fair bit and am recovering from the marathon, so the goals are a little light and pretty flexible:

1. Run 9 times (at least 3 miles)....trying to be pretty light here.

2. 300 scaled pushups, including minimum 15 full and 9 vinyasas. For this mini, negatives = 1, full = 3, vinyasa (no knees) = 3. This is a substantial goal, getting me back on track after a couple slacker weeks. The vinyasa part is a little new...I think those might be really good for me right now, but want to build slowly.

3. Negatives chin-ups at least 3 times. This should be easy. It's to carefully build a little bit of a base for my next challenge (want to work toward full chin-up).

4. Hamstring stretch. At least 5 min, 3 times each week. Again should be easy. I want to figure out a simple routine that works for me. I really want to figure out how to rehab a very tight hamstring that I think has a lot of old scar tissue.

...I think most of this is on the mini-challenge thread, but this is a little more structured. The structure helps keep me motivated.

• Like 8

Thanks everyone...I guess I'll give a little more marathon recap, a challenge wrap-up and my own 3-week mini

Not too much else to say about the marathon. I think I did about what I trained for. It was 4 minutes faster than the marathon I did at the beginning of the challenge, but I think the conditions were also tougher. To get better, I think the biggest gain would come from hard tempo runs. The best way for me to do those is running with other people. Over the next couple of months, I'll focus on keeping my base up as much as possible, and taking advantage of good weather for harder runs.

Week 6 and Challenge Wrap-up

Overall:  My biggest goal was really to run 2 marathons during the challenge (shortly after a few weeks of little or no running). As Tank would say, I rangered it! The challenge really helped me to get the mileage in, to keep up with lifting and to keep my house from degenerating into chaos.

Run 160 miles: I got 39.3 this week, to come in exactly at 160. Not really a coincidence...I slacked a little more than I intended in weeks 4-5 (some travel, some minor cold) and pretty much knew how much I could afford to slack. Ideally would have gotten in a bit more, but I'm satisfied.

500 (scaled) pushups: (1 pt for each negative, 3 pts for each full) 45 points this week...yes, I've been slacking a little. Total of 568 points, including 42 full pushups. Up to a maximum (on a good day) of 6 full pushups, broken into 3 sets. I've definitely been improving and need to keep up the habit. I'll re-work this goal into my own mini and my next full challenge.

Cross train 10x: I made it to the gym exactly 10 times, and I had to be a little creative to fit in 3 of those. I'm positive I wouldn't have gotten in those 3 extra workouts without the challenge (maybe not even the 7 "normal" ones). Have a pretty solid idea of my baseline now and a couple specific things I want to add and improve.

Swab the deck (50 points from "domestic rangering" / "adulting"): Exactly 50 points during the challenge (31 from daily chores, 19 from dreaded tasks). This was surprisingly hard due to a fair bit of travel. I am keeping up with my list though...knocked one more thing out today (dreaded dental cleaning).

....going to post this now, and my "personal minichallenge" next :-)

A+'s across the boards and you throw the word slacking around?

You-keep-using-that-word.png

You for sure Rangered this challenge. I mean you ran TWO MARATHONS  six weeks apart! Do not discredit yourself for being smart in picking goals six weeks ago then nailing them exactly. You are the amazing Ranger Pirate Princess Multiple Marathon Runner. You are too awesome for the word "Slacking" to apply to you.

• Like 7

Amazing!!! I love how you pick good logical goal that fit in with your crazy schedule. That is a talent!!! Wahoo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty good couple of days. I've been playing around with "Zombies Run!" (fun!) and have started taking baby steps toward chin-up progression. I did some negatives on Tuesday with no bad effects (being careful with an elbow tendon), so will try a couple more today.

I'm eventually planning to follow this:

http://bretcontreras.com/want-chin-15-tips-improve-chinning-progress/

It's a little long, but I'm going to start with the sample routine toward the bottom of the page. I'll modify the band assist to use the gravitron. And for the inverted rows, I think I'll start with the TRX.

Day One

Eccentric chin-ups 3 sets of 3 reps (3-5 second tempo)
Inverted rows 3 sets of 5 reps
Hollow body hold 3 sets of 20 seconds

Day Two

Band assisted chin-up 3 sets of 6 reps
Pause underhand grip lat pulldown 3 sets of 4 reps (3-sec pause at the bottom of each rep)
RKC plank 3 sets of 20 seconds

Day Three

Eccentric chin-ups 6 sets of 1 rep (5-10 second tempo)
Inverted rows 3 sets of 5 reps
Hollow body hold 3 sets of 20 seconds

I've also been playing with some more intense stretching on my very tight hamstring. I'm spending about 5 minutes on it at a time. It's pretty intense. I'm going to give it at least 3 weeks and then decide what to try going forward.

• Like 3

I did some test chin-up negatives on Tuesday. Then I looked into a chin-up program and came up with that ^^^

Anyway, today I went to the gym and took it for a spin. I loved having a sense of purpose in the gym. I had gotten a little bored of my old plan, and it felt a lot more fun to be working toward a tangible goal.

• Like 4

That chin up progression looks like a great winter gym program. Good for you to add something else challenging to your already impressive workout routine!

I've also been playing with some more intense stretching on my very tight hamstring. I'm spending about 5 minutes on it at a time. It's pretty intense. I'm going to give it at least 3 weeks and then decide what to try going forward.

Have you tried a tennis ball, the rolls of a barbell, or even a foam roller?  Those always help me loosen up the knots in my muscles!

Great work on keeping with those chin-up progressions.  They'll surprise you one day very soon, I suspect.

Have you tried a tennis ball, the rolls of a barbell, or even a foam roller?  Those always help me loosen up the knots in my muscles!

I like a LAX ball best for hamstring, but barbell might work too.

I've been reading more about the  tight hamstring problem and was reminded that the underlying cause is often lack of flexibility in hip flexors and quads and lack of strength in hamstring. I knew all that, but I guess I was trying to block it out. Going to think about how to incorporate some of these other aspects. For now, I think stretching the hamstring and trying to work on the knotted up tissue is still valuable.

sometimes it's complicated

• Like 2

I like a LAX ball best for hamstring, but barbell might work too.

I've been reading more about the  tight hamstring problem and was reminded that the underlying cause is often lack of flexibility in hip flexors and quads and lack of strength in hamstring. I knew all that, but I guess I was trying to block it out. Going to think about how to incorporate some of these other aspects. For now, I think stretching the hamstring and trying to work on the knotted up tissue is still valuable.

sometimes it's complicated

You know that I've worked on stretching for a while. I'm a big fan of PNF and forced relaxation. It helps strengthen the muscles while you stretch.

From what I know, tight hips and quads are only an issue when you're trying to do front or side splits, and even then, you likely won't feel the hamstring stretch if your hips and quads are tight, you'll feel your hip flexor. (unless you are leaning forward to take the pressure off your hips) For all the common "reaching for your toes" kind of stretches, (touch your toes, supine hamstring stretch, leg on chair stretch, etc.) quads and hips won't affect your stretch.

You know that I've worked on stretching for a while. I'm a big fan of PNF and forced relaxation. It helps strengthen the muscles while you stretch.

From what I know, tight hips and quads are only an issue when you're trying to do front or side splits, and even then, you likely won't feel the hamstring stretch if your hips and quads are tight, you'll feel your hip flexor. (unless you are leaning forward to take the pressure off your hips) For all the common "reaching for your toes" kind of stretches, (touch your toes, supine hamstring stretch, leg on chair stretch, etc.) quads and hips won't affect your stretch.

Yep, you are right. I didn't explain very well. To do things like forward bends I need to stretch my hamstrings and back. But for general health/fitness/balance and good running, I've been reading that (supposedly) the underlying cause of perceived hamstring tightness and back pain is from tightness on the front of the body...still thinking about that one.

...but I've been away from the forums for too long and CAN'T WAIT ANY MORE to read the new rules...

• Like 1

hmmm...have read the new rules. I guess I'm in the minority, in that I've always liked the "arc" of the 6-week challenge. Not sure whether a 4-week challenge will be the best thing for me. I guess I have two choices...

1. Give it a try and commit to it.

2. Cheat a bit and set up an 8-week challenge with two identical parts (that's more-or-less what I was doing before).

Doesn't really matter to anyone but me how I do this, so I just have to think about what my real goal are and how I can best work toward them. Is anyone else contemplating "cheating"?

p.s. Hopefully not being too subversive. Either way technically fits the new framework.

• Like 2

I think there is a danger of taking the new rules too seriously. The whole point is to help people win at fitness. If merging two four week challenges together is what's going to work for you, I can't think of anyone who would have a problem with you doing just that. We don't really have rules-lawyers running around the forums, you do what you need to and of course we'll support you.

• Like 2

You should do what works for you. I'd suggest the 8-week challenge split up into two parts if that's how you train.

I don't take the challenges too seriously, they're like chapters of a battle log for me. I'd just do a battle log, but it's lonely over there.

• Like 2

My own mini challenge...so far

1. Run 9 times...so far 7 run total. 12.5 miles in week 1, and 16 miles this week. It's ok because I'm recovering from a marathon, but mostly the mileage has been low because of visitors/travel. It's made me a little frustrated and pretty antsy. Looking forward to running more this week.

2. 300 pushups (points) including 15 full and 9 vinyasas (3 pts full, 3 points vinyasa, 1 pt negative). So far only 87 points in week 1 and 63 points in week 2 (but can still do some tonight). up to 7 full pushups and 3 sun salutations...lots more to go! Need a big strong week! I haven't felt strong on the pushups recently, but I think part of it is that I've been doing them after coming in from running.

3. Try chin-up negatives 3 times. Did them twice in week 1 and didn't have a chance in week 2 (that was planned). Looking forward to doing some tomorrow. Excited about trying out this program.

4. Hamstring stretch...5 min, 3x per week. Did it 3x in week 1 and at least 2x this week (will do again now).

The hamstring stretching has been a combination of things. The part that seems to work the sort injured part the most is this one:

hamstring_stretch_1.jpg

The sore part is kind of in the middle of the muscle (mid-way up the thigh) and this really seems to work it. If I hold this for a minute or so, I really feel it when I get up.

I try to hold this for a while and then alternate between this an a lunge. Also seated and standing forward bend, lying on my back and extending the leg (e.g., stretching it with a belt), Also dynamic leg swings. Sometimes also a more passive stretch (legs up the wall, viparita karani for the yoga buffs).

Trying a bit of everything.

You should do what works for you. I'd suggest the 8-week challenge split up into two parts if that's how you train.

I don't take the challenges too seriously, they're like chapters of a battle log for me. I'd just do a battle log, but it's lonely over there.

I know what you mean. I always feel a little guilty when my friends retreat to battle logs (not really a retreat, just how it feels to me from over here). I try to be supportive, but somehow I don't seem to follow them as well.

• Like 1

I think there is a danger of taking the new rules too seriously. The whole point is to help people win at fitness. If merging two four week challenges together is what's going to work for you, I can't think of anyone who would have a problem with you doing just that. We don't really have rules-lawyers running around the forums, you do what you need to and of course we'll support you.

Good point. I think DR is the only lawyer I know of on the site, an he's pretty open-minded about challenge philosophy :-)

• Like 2