Harihead goes Oh, so Low, Oh No!

Harihead

Hello, Rebels!
3 weeks ago I learned my LDL cholesterol level is borderline high at 139. My doctor wants to retest me in February, so I have a nice, long-term project to bring that number into the AWESOME level. :) Because I want public accountability, I'm posting this 4-month effort as a series of 6-week challenges.

To attain my goal of <100 LDL by February (although I'm secretly hoping for <80), my approach will be primarily diet modification. I'm happy to hear from other Rebels have done a "cholesterol challenge" and what worked for them. For myself, my known habits, and based on the previous 3-week challenge (I joined late), I'll be tracking the following macro targets.

Exercise
Cardio >1/week - elevate heart rate at least 15 minutes once a week.
I do lots of low-impact exercise, but I want to add a high-impact session. I want this target to be really easy so I'll actually do it. 
A = >3/week, STA +2, STR +2
B = >2/week, STA +2, STR +1
C = >1/week, STA +1

Diet
This is the biggie. Generally, I plan to:
- Reduce red meat and poultry in favor of fish, <2 red meat and >=3-4 fish or seafood/week
- Reduce meat overall and substitute legumes for protein >=3-4/week
- Monitor dairy <=6 servings/week, especially cheese
- Processed meat or grains <=1/week

Because this diet is going to continue through the holidays, I added the "Processed meat or grains" category. I'm expecting holiday "treats" to abound, which I will not entirely avoid, because life is too short to not eat some really scrumptious dessert that you only get once a year. Per the last challenge, I learned I really enjoy picking my one "junk" food I get to eat each week (albeit a modest portion). 

As an incentive, I'm allowed to "bank" successes. So, if I eat 1 diary per week, I'm allowed to "bank" 5 against the upcoming Thanksgiving/Christmas foodfest. I've found this system motivating, because otherwise it's too easy to say, "I've blown my target this week, what the hell!"  Banking gives me a better chance of staying on target.

I'm also allowed to substitute. For example, if I have only 1 red meat but I screwed up and ate 2 processed foods, it's a wash. This is discouraged, but permissible. However, there are penalties. If I blow my calorie allotment for the day, I REMOVE one of my allowances for that week. 

I am monitoring this in my little white book that goes everywhere with me. 
A = 100% compliance, CON +3, DEX +2
B = 90% compliance, CON +2, DEX +1
C = 80% compliance, CON +1, DEX +1
D = 70% compliance, CON +1
F = <50% compliance, take away 1 earned point!

Battle of the Bulge:
I used to have an awesome stomach, but after I hit the big 5-oh, my hormones decided they needed to pack on a little pooch. It's pure vanity, but I want to get rid of the pooch. I'm not asking for awesome definition; I'm just asking for flat. Non-protruding. Innie vs outie. This one will go by measurement. I hope to shrink from 32.75 to 29 by February. 
A = 1.5 inches by Dec 14, CHA +3
B = 1 inch, CHA +2
C = 0.5 inches, CHA +1
D = 0.25 inches, I get a gold star in the privacy of my mind
F = gain any inches, take away 1 earned point!

There is no break for me between the September 14 - October 25 Challenge and this one. 

Write my way to Freedom:
I attended an awesome writers conference last weekend, which had me re-evaluating my entire career. As part of this, I made a pact with another writer to write 100 words a day, reporting our results on Sunday. I'm slightly modifying this to 6x per week, provided I acquire > 700 words weekly. The idea is to produce new work on a steady basis. 
A = 6 days/week or > 700 words WIS +3
B = 5 days/week or > 700 words WIS +2
C = 4 days/week or > 700 words WIS +1
F = drop below 3x per week, take away 1 earned point!

Right now, I'm feeling awesome. I've been getting lots of compliments from people who haven't seen me in 1 or 2 years. "What have you been doing? You look fabulous!" It feels so great to hear how long-term healthier habits really do pay off. I'm looking forward to the new challenge. My will is strong and my spirits high. 

Success to us all, fellow Rebels! 

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Whooooooo hoooooo and lots of awesome my friend! :triumphant:

So glad to have you back in the challenges and have some of my brigadeers back on the NF boards. ;)

I am officially Sub'd and following! :cheerful:

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Good to see you back! Looks like a great plan - let's rock this challenge!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Welcome back.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! :)

Whooooooo hoooooo and lots of awesome my friend! :triumphant:

So glad to have you back in the challenges and have some of my brigadeers back on the NF boards. ;)

I am officially Sub'd and following! :cheerful:

Back at cha, dear! Mwah! 

Good to see you back! Looks like a great plan - let's rock this challenge!

I am a rockin' queen, rockin'est thing you ever seen. Whahoo

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Awesome to have you back! :cheerful:

You, too! *hugs* 

Good luck with your plodding log! :)

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Okay, I started my challenge with 5 deep bodyweight squats in good form. My left knee is already twinging-- next session, wear a brace!

These Gryffindarlings are slave drivers! Good. I could use a bit of driving in my life :)

Here's the challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73661-gryffindarlings-their-strength-speaks-for-itself/?p=1693578

• weakest link - strength exercises 5 squats 3x/week, building weekly
  • mentor challenge - giving my first public professional talk Nov 18
  • overcome fear challenge - 1st publishing of indie book
  • random acts of kindness (strangers and friends) - writers workshop each month
  • do something you never thought you could do (mental or physical strength) - publish 2nd novel

In other news, I've been eating great, dropped 5 pounds, and suddenly regained 2. What's that all about?

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

Nice challenge!  I too am working to bring down the cholesterol with diet.  Good luck to us both!   :)

Thanks, Mando! 

I haven't quite hit the right balance yet. I think I'm on the right track, but I'm hungry all the time. I think I cut too much fat! Tweaks are in order. 

I have great hopes for the "no processed food" item. I think that might give me an even bigger bang than reduced meat. 

Please let me know how you're doing!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that reducing the processed stuff will work well for you. The FC had dramatic changes in his Cholesterol markers (over the course of a year, granted, but still a huge difference), by changing his diet to a mostly paleo-ish version. He is still eating meat and poultry almost daily, same with eggs, occasionally fish. But lots of veggies and salad. :)

I'm not saying that this is *the* right strategy for everyone, just that it worked for him. :)

Good luck!

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that reducing the processed stuff will work well for you. The FC had dramatic changes in his Cholesterol markers (over the course of a year, granted, but still a huge difference), by changing his diet to a mostly paleo-ish version. He is still eating meat and poultry almost daily, same with eggs, occasionally fish. But lots of veggies and salad. :)

I'm not saying that this is *the* right strategy for everyone, just that it worked for him. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for that good info!

For me, I was eating way too much meat. Just lazy; it's easy to do. This challenge, I'm all about the veggies, adding them in everywhere. I'm sure my system will thank me. I think avoiding processed food will be magic; don't spoil it for me if it's not! At least I'll be clean for 4 months. :)

Level 9 Ranger

These Gryffindarlings are slave drivers! Good. I could use a bit of driving in my life :)

Here's the challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73661-gryffindarlings-their-strength-speaks-for-itself/?p=1693578

Lol, I have found myself part of the Doodlies group and I shudder at what they have planned for strength week.  :nevreness:

Here's to kicking butt! :D

Looking awesome my friend!  :)

Have an excellent Wednesday!

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Lol, I have found myself part of the Doodlies group and I shudder at what they have planned for strength week.  :nevreness:

Here's to kicking butt! :D

Looking awesome my friend!   :)

Have an excellent Wednesday!

Thanks, friend! I'm definitely in the wimp category. Tried one squat this morning and no, just no. I'm going to try again this evening after I'm really warmed up. I have to figure out how to do strength training without killing my joints, which is my weak spot(s). I'm so grateful for the body I have, that it can carry me up mountains if I allow enough time. But lifting weight (and I gotta lotta body weight) is trickier. :)

It's funny, but many people have been commenting how thin my face looks. Yet another reason to just keep on for the long haul. However, I'm determined to break into the next "decade" on the scale before year's end. I've clearly stabilized at my new baseline (yay!), and it's time I dropped another pant size. 

Happy Weds to you, too!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Good job on the progress so far, and it's even better that you're not complacent but want more. You are no wimp, you did a squat. Soon you will do two squats, then three, then four, then infinity.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Good job on the progress so far, and it's even better that you're not complacent but want more. You are no wimp, you did a squat. Soon you will do two squats, then three, then four, then infinity.

Thanks, Tank. You have a great name; I feel encouraged just reading you!

I'm a super fan of very small changes. That method seems to work best for me. So far, I'm hitting my food metrics really well. I have trouble with eating too much at night so weight loss isn't as fast as I want; I'll tackle that next week. I've noticed a direct correlation between overtime at work (coming home exhausted) and overeating. So, hard and fast rules about coming home on time. It's not worth my health. 

I plan to hike this afternoon because my carpet is getting cleaned and it needs to dry. So off I will go on a huge cardiovascular jaunt. There's a small hogback I like to climb, very steep but only 30 minutes to the top. Then I "relax" and follow the trail along the front range for 5 miles without much elevation gain. I'm looking forward to it. 

I've also been getting my 100 words/day in. I'm being strict about not judging what I produce. Yesterday I hit my stride with a funny story, and I might actually develop this one. It's all about getting back in the saddle. 

I am returning Encouragement beams to all my fellow Rebels. Good luck!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Report for Week 1 of the Nov 2 Challenge!

Exercise
Hike went really well yesterday; I cut 10 minutes from my 30-minute ascent up the steep ridge, 15 minutes total ascent time from parking lot. Part of the improvement is the cooler weather, but the lack of rest stops means my piddly little cardio workouts that I've been doing for the last month are actually having a positive affect. HOORAY FOR LITTLE CHANGES! I get an A+ for the week here. 

Diet
Doing really well with the macros on this. I'm overeating at the end of these long days, but fortunately I only have 1 7:30 AM meeting next week, so the days shouldn't be as long and I shouldn't be as exhausted. (I normally work until 6 PM.)
Weight is stable, so hold on course and control the total calorie count. B+ for the week. 

Battle of the Bulge:
No budge in the bulge. 

Write my way to Freedom:
Doing really well! Despite a particularly hectic week with things scheduled before and after work, plus 3 7:30 AM meetings and long days, still got in my daily writing with 1500 words total. I actually like the story I'm writing now, which is a plus. :)
A for the week. Hold on this course. 
  • Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

On the Gryffendor Prefect short list...

Always super exciting to make the short list. 

Thanks for your support. I appreciate it. *carefully pets lion*

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Always super exciting to make the short list. 

Thanks for your support. I appreciate it. *carefully pets lion*

How did your week 2 go w.r.t. exercise?

Don't worry too much about us lions - we roar very load, but are kitty cats inside with retractable claws :pirate:

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

How did your week 2 go w.r.t. exercise?

Don't worry too much about us lions - we roar very load, but are kitty cats inside with retractable claws :pirate:

Thanks, kitty! *is still careful*

I did great again on my aerobics workout. I definitely injured the knee during week 1, so I have to be careful with that. I did my 12 danyus early this week, but it's been too cold to comfortably work them again. I'm going for 13 this week anyway.

I did a steep hike up an icy mountainside in good time on Saturday (lifting myself on the good knee). I passed a couple of guys at the top of the saddle (we were following the loop in opposite directions) and I dusted them on the way down (that side was less icy). I met them already on my way back and the one guy looked surprised and said, "You did that fast!" So that was fun. It's the steady pace for me; I've been managing 3 aerobic workouts per week, 1 big and 2 small. It seems to be working!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Report for Week 2 of the Nov 2 Challenge!

Exercise

Still really well good, 2 short workouts and a steep mountain climb at good speed. I get an A+ for the week. 

Diet

Doing really well with the macros and still overeating. Weight is mounting, and so is stress. I need to do better. B for the week. 

Battle of the Bulge:

I think there's a budge in the bulge. Let's see if I keep it next week. :)

Write my way to Freedom:

I'm killing it. Completed my first story, which I like! A+ for the week.
  • Like 4

Level 9 Ranger