Ares is Rolling with the Punches

AresPandora

Long time no see, my friends....

hellonurse.gif

This is about how I feel right now.

So, my last challenge failed in a big way. I basically just stopped doing it. Then I decided to just not do much of anything to better myself. I took a landslide in the opposite direction I want to go, and it's been really, really bad. Also, entered into a relationship, which has had the "fat and happy" effect on me.

BUT THEN....

I took a look at myself in the mirror last night. I feel gross, I think I look gross, and I generally don't want to be in the shape I am now. I was doing really good, and I know I can again, I just have to make the effort that I used to. Right now I'm making......oh yeah. No effort at all. So, really, anything is better than this.

4365_lip-sync.gif

My goals for this challenge are as follows. I feel they are SMART.

Main Quest: To rid myself of excess pounds and get my life back on track to healthy.

Goal One: Run 150km.

I love running. I really do. I just don't do it as much as I used to. That's gotta change. With my trusty GPS watch, I will track everything I run and by the end of these six weeks I will have accumulated 150km or more. More is always better. This requires me to set a schedule for runs, and complete at least 4 weekly. 

Run 4 times a week, to total 150km by the end of this six weeks. 

Goal Two: Break the cycle of addiction to sugary drinks

Whether it be soda, tea, coffee, or just a gatorade, I am in love with sugary drinks. For six weeks I will be drinking water, black coffee, or unsweetened tea. A night of socializing with drinks is allowed once a week, as I really don't have a social life without that one day a week.

Drink 3L daily water, unsweetened tea, or black coffee only, with the exception for one day a week.

Goal Three: Stop the bread train.

I love bread. It's my favorite thing in the world. I found out long ago that it's my worst trigger food, and when I have a little, it ends up being a lot, and I don't stop until my stomach is full of that good ol' carbalicious goodness. So, in order to get back on track to the paleo diet that was working wonders for me, I will not be eating bread.

Bread will not be approaching the landing zone of my mouth.

Life Goal One: Bullet Journal to Success.

I've recently noticed a lot of my friends who have their lives together use a bullet journal. So, I'm gonna try it out. For the six weeks of this challenge, I will be bullet journaling my heart out. It'll probably be a mess, it'll probably be really unorganized and weird, but I'm gonna keep to it and see if I like it. I'm usually not the best with journals, but I like that bullet journals are like a journal, organizer, schedule, budget maker, and whatever else you wanna put in there all at the same time. 

Bullet journal to get your life.

Life Goal Two: Show Me the Money.

I'm trying to save up money for a car. So, by the end of this six weeks, I'd like to be well on my way to getting that, meaning about 700 dollars closer to that goal. Also, to have gotten my license changed over (since my license is American and I live in Korea, I just need to go get it changed over to a Korean license).

Get a license, save for a car.

So, now I've got these goals. I WILL get back on track to a happier, healthier me. Cheers.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout
STR: 7 | DEX 2 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

So, I'm having good diet lately, other than the salt water taffy I just found and quickly consumed, but that was my own fault. Should have thrown it away. But it's so good! Oh well. Gone now. On to tomorrow.

I did some food prep today, and have discovered that to save a ton of money, all I gotta do is make a lot of soup. So, that's what I'm doing.

I am, however, fighting off a cold. So, I haven't even started running yet. I'm going out in the morning, I think, though, for however long I can get. Even if it's just a kilometer or two, I need to get started on that 150 goal. Should be an average of 25km a week. So, gotta get those shoes laced up and get out that door!

Still no bread though, but it's not hard as long as I'm cooking at home. Also with the sugary drinks. As long as I don't have it in the house, I'm good.

My bullet journal is going well, though. Getting things set out for the week, since I'm off for the next three days. Planning on being super productive!

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Yeah, got bored last night and made two different types of chicken soup. Woot! Food for days!!!!

Got up and met a coworker for a run this morning. Got in 4.61km today. So, good start to the challenge, considering I didn't even really want to get up. haha.

My back hurt today though, so I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day and do some light yoga later. 

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Soups are my trick for a quick meal.  I do veg soups and freeze them so I can grab and go.  Other soups are made but I like the pureed veggy ones so I can make sure I get enough veg.  I am the same.  If it is not in the house I am good but at the same time if it is out of sight chances are I forget it is there. 

Are you feeling better?

Completely rooting you on!

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Well, luckily, I'm a huge fan of puns. I believe I said to my boyfriend the other day, "If I could marry puns, I totally would, and I don't even like the institution of marriage."

I had one meal that included bread, but that's because there was seriously nothing but pre-made sandwiches at this function I was at. I suppose I could've picked them apart, but I didn't. But I didn't have two in a row, which is the best thing. Other than that, going along well.

Except for the recent injuries I got somehow on a trail run. Left ankle (previously broken) was rolled three times, so it's a bit sore, but nothing big. Then my right knee is swollen to about twice the normal size, and I have no clue as to why. I can't really bend it all the way, so I'm thinking it's just runner's knee after a pretty active weekend. 

Also lost to the office cold. This sucks in the worst way. 

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

All great but you may want to have the knee looked at and figure out what you need to do to keep that ankle from rolling.  If your ankle rolled and was tender at all or whatever is permitting the ankle to roll could have caused a slight change in your gait thus irritating your knee on top of a busy weekend.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Thanks guys. After a few days of rest other than walking around at work, my knee is feeling remarkably better. I plan to take a walk today just to see how it's doing. No running, and a short walk. It's at least back to normal size. My ankle isn't sore anymore, but has this weird popping sensation, which I experienced last year as well. Dunno if it's the cold, or what, but I saw my surgeon about it last year and he told me as long as there isn't pain, it should be fine. Meh. Still gonna take it easy.

Got some cold medicine yesterday and I'm feeling much, much better. Had some weird dreams.....but that's cold medicine for you. No weirder than usual, I guess. Just.....vivid. My boyfriend was in one, and I woke up, reached for him, then got sad 'cause he's not here. Boo.... (Okay, end of chick moment)

I'm getting really restless around the house. I've cleaned just about all I can, and today I've decided I'm making tomato sauce from scratch. So, there's that. 

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Sounds like a good plan.  Cold medicine always leaves me with very odd dreams.  Restlessness is not unexpected.  LOL  Hope the sauce turns out and if so do share the recipe!  Scouts Tavern Kitchen topic would be a great place to post it.  ;)

• Like 1

The tomato sauce was a success, but I don't really follow a recipe, per say. I suppose I can post the "-ish" directions. I'll do that!

Okay, getting out today, gonna go see the boy, have a weekend of trails planned. I'm going to take it easy, though, since I'm still not 100% about my knee. There's a trail we're supposed to do tonight, but I might just phone it in and either walk, or just sit and wait for everyone to get back. I'm still recovering from the cold, too.

Aaaaand now it's raining. haha. So, if the raining doesn't stop in a little while, I'm not running in that. I don't need to be sicker.

I did a ton of food prep yesterday, so that's great. When I get back from the weekend I don't have to worry about anything. Just stay away from bread products, and sugar drinks, and I should be fine this weekend. Time with the boyfriend is always hard to stick to the diet....he's not the healthiest. Anyone have tips to deal with that? I've told him I'm on a diet, and that I want to lose weight by staying away from certain foods and drinks. He's actually on board with the sugary drinks, too. He's completely stopped drinking soda, which for him was basically water. I'm really proud of him for that. However, he lives in a military dorm, and doesn't have much access to a kitchen, so he gets takeout for everything. There's not a ton of choice there. 

Good thing is I think he's kinda/sorta trying to get on the weight loss train, and has asked me to bring him some food I made this weekend. I'm really hoping he's going to be trying, too, as it will make it easier on me, and because since we've started dating we're both getting fat and happy.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

We never eat the mess food. He usually orders in.

Today we were watching the Rousey/Holm fight, and he seems to have a bit of motivation to get in shape again. He used to be a fighter as well. He really wants to do it again, so that's some good motivation. I'm going to continue taking him food as long as he wants it, haha. I enjoy cooking and usually make way too much for just myself. 

Got a good 11k in this weekend. Should have done more, probably could have, but I didn't. This next week should be good. The knee feels fine, is the normal size, and there's no popping in my ankle. So, that's great. 

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4

Today, my bullet journal was scheduled for a run. Alright, cool. I'm running today.

Luckily, the weather was amazing today. I spent all day inside, at work, and finished my last class earlier than expected. However, my motivation to run had completely depleted throughout the work day. I walked out of the door saying to myself, "I'll run tomorrow."

What a stupid thought. That kind of procrastination and lack of discipline is how I got to this place in the first place. If I want to get better, faster, stronger, I have to change my outlook. I have to change my life to make any sort of progress. Doing the same things will yield the same results. So I decided on my walk home that I'd be able to get my shoes tied and warmed up before 5 o'clock, and do a couple kilometers before the sun went down. No big deal. If I just run for like, 20 minutes I should be fine. 

So I did that.

pull-down-gif-final.gif?w=620&h=348&crop

Shoes laced: check

Hat on: check

Warmed up: check

New running mix: check

I wanted to go about 3 kms. I knew I could do this very easily, without much fuss, and without taking a lot of time. Every km counts, right? As soon as I started down the street, I felt instantly better. The air was rushing through my lungs, my pace was good even if a little slow(still getting over the cold), and my body felt free. So, naturally, when I got to the mark where I should have turned around, I happily told myself, "Eh, a little more won't hurt." I kept running. I went on a route I absolutely hate doing because it's uphill for an entire 1.5km. Yes, uphill the whole time. It has a small reprieve at the top, then downhill a bit, then back up, up, up. I kept running.

Felt-Like-Running.gif

I ended up running 6.3 km in about 43 minutes. It's not the fastest, it's not the longest, it's not the most grueling, but I did it. Today. Like I said.

Also, today was the first day I tried that Zombies, Run! app and it was amazing! Does it actually take into consideration your acceleration, or is it all pre-determined? I outran all the zombies on my up, up, up portion of the run, but not on the kinda-level, little-incline portion later. Was I really that tired? 'Cause I thought I was flying.

• Like 2

Ares Pandora,
level 4 Mutant Scout

Challenges:

1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4