battlescars: Learning to Fly

battlescars

What’s good, Rebels?!

I’m back again to try to finish a six week challenge.

First challenge with the Assassins!

Life Update:

Depression sucks. I’m sure a lot of you know that.

I moved out to Los Angeles about a year ago with hopes of find a job in the film industry. After 10 months, several hundred applications, and a couple dozen interviews, I was completely burned out and feeling extremely low. I had been working in a cupcake & ice cream shop, and while it was fun in the beginning, many factors led it to become one of the most draining jobs I’ve ever had (not to mention the amount of weight I gained because I couldn’t control myself from devouring the product).

A couple weeks ago, after a particularly awful interview, I had a stroke of inspiration and decided enough was enough. I quit my ice cream job, and decided to pursue some other interests. And as soon as I decided to catch my breath and stop searching for a job in the film industry, everything fell into place in the most beautiful and unexpected way.

Now I have 3 jobs. It might sound crazy, but the schedules actually fit together like a flawless puzzle.

I work for Tempest Freerunning Academy, an aerial arts studio, and an elementary school. The elementary school job is just something a friend was able to set up for me that works really well with my schedule (plus, I freaking love kids). Parkour and aerials are two things that I have followed for years, and have always wanted to try. But being the chunky/ clumsy lady that I am, I figured it would never be in the realm of possibility. But it turns out there were two positions that opened up right as I hit my low point, and I feel like it was God saying “I’m game if you are.†Its a chance for me to work towards becoming a person I never thought I could be.

So this challenge, I’m going to learn how to fly.

(or at least start to)

Goals:

#1. Attend at Least 1 Aerial & 1 Parkour Class a Week

I get free classes at the aerial studio, and Tempest. I need to take advantage of that. It’s scary for me, because I’ve never been one for group exercise, and I’m extremely out of shape. But it will be good for me, and I’ll learn how to do things I never thought I could do.

#2. Post At Least Twice a Week (/Finish the Challenge)

I always fall away from Six Week Challenges. Not for lack of trying, but I let me schedule consume me sometimes. But I’ll have the time available with the new jobs to get stuff done. Another thing I should absolutely take advantage of. Besides, this community rocks and I want to be a more active member of it.

#3. Prep At Least Two Meals A Week

My schedule is crazy. And if I’m not careful, I’ll end up eating out every day. I can’t afford that! So hopefully I can pack myself some food and cut down on my food spending for the next month or so.

#4. Don’t Step on the Scale

This one is for my mental health. I get obsessive over numbers. If the scale isn’t consistently going down, I get super discouraged. I need to stop relying on it as my source of results. I just need to chill a little bit, and focus on how I feel, and how I notice my body changing. No scale for six weeks will be tough, but I think I really need it.

*Bonus*: Climb the Silks/ Get in the Lyra/ Do a Pull-up

My upper body strength is minimal, and it’s needed for both parkour/freerunning, and aerials. I just want to be able to move my own bodyweight. I’m not sure if I can get there in six weeks, but I’m damn sure gonna try!

Let’s get to it!

• Like 3

Current Challenge

| Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter |

"Forget stardust, you are iron."

Fun challenge, love how you bravely took a step in a new direction for your work.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Wow, that's awesome! Working at both a parkour school and and aerials studio?! I foresee many Assassins turning green with envy right now. I just was reading about Tempest because I saw a video about a redesign they did at one of their studios with video game themed walls/paint. Very cool! @Nymeria who is taking up (temporary I say!) residence in the Rangers right now teaches a couple of parkour classes and takes plenty, so definitely stop by her challenge and say hi.  

Welcome to the Assassins and best of luck with your challenge. I'll be following along for sure. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Hellooooo and welcome to the assassins! That is SO AWESOME to get to work somewhere with parkour AND aerial!

I am another of our resident aerial people. When I started I was a bit overweight and had ZERO upper body strength and I could not lift myself off the ground AT ALL. You CAN start from a place like that and go wonderful lengths if you are motivated to do it! And how awesome to be able to be able to get classes for cheaper by working at the aerial gym! And also I am sure a wonderful way to network with the other aerial people too!

• Like 1

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

*hugs* Depression does suck. :( But the fact you’re here doing a challenge really shows that you’re on the right track. Also, your jobs combination sounds amazing!

Hope to see lots of you this challenge!

• Like 2

Wow, that's awesome! Working at both a parkour school and and aerials studio?! I foresee many Assassins turning green with envy right now. I just was reading about Tempest because I saw a video about a redesign they did at one of their studios with video game themed walls/paint. Very cool! @Nymeria who is taking up (temporary I say!) residence in the Rangers right now teaches a couple of parkour classes and takes plenty, so definitely stop by her challenge and say hi.  

Welcome to the Assassins and best of luck with your challenge. I'll be following along for sure. :)

Thank you so much! :peaceful:

Yeah, the gym looks really cool with the whole Minecraft/ Mario theme. They even have a section that looks like something out of Assassin's Creed!

Current Challenge

Hellooooo and welcome to the assassins! That is SO AWESOME to get to work somewhere with parkour AND aerial!

I am another of our resident aerial people. When I started I was a bit overweight and had ZERO upper body strength and I could not lift myself off the ground AT ALL. You CAN start from a place like that and go wonderful lengths if you are motivated to do it! And how awesome to be able to be able to get classes for cheaper by working at the aerial gym! And also I am sure a wonderful way to network with the other aerial people too!

Ah! Thank you so much! All the aerial folk I've met so far have been super sweet. It seems like a really great community. The girl who teaches the class I've been taking is really awesome about working at my pace, even if some of the other students are more advanced. She's been really positive, and doing everything she can to help me get to the point where I can lift myself. It's gonna happen eventually, for sure :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I took my first parkour class today, and it was so much fun! We worked on precision jumps, some vaults, cat hangs, and kicking off walls. I definitely don't trust my body at all, and it shows. I'm very nervous when trying things out. But maybe it's with good reason. I really busted my knee trying a safety vault. I have an old injury from an old job which honestly hasn't bothered me in over a year now, so I didn't really think about it much until my knee popped on a landing. The coach was really sweet about it, and said that the impact on a soft surface (we landed on mats) may have caused it to act up because I'm not really used to it. I ended up sitting out for the rest of the vaults portion, but joined right back up later. Cat hangs where pretty rough for me. Gotta work on that upper body! Anyway, I loved it. I can't wait to go back. And I can't wait for my knee to stop throbbing.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Ooooh very nice! I'm a little bit jealous parkour classes seems so awesome! The fact that it makes you nervous and makes you feel like it's new and scary... That just means you're really leveling up! Because that's always hard. In a few classes things will feel easier I'm sure of it! I'm so glad you loved it :D 

The elementary school I work at M-F is on the opposite side of Los Angeles, and the morning commute is pretty rough. I have to be there by 8:30 in the morning, and it's been taking me over an hour to get there. This morning, I decided to try to leave at 6:20am, and hit up the gym before school started. It was a weak attempt at skipping traffic, and only brought my commute time down to 50mins. When there's no traffic, it usually only takes me 20-25 minutes to get to that part of town. Tomorrow, my goal is to leave no later than 5:30am. I really want to miss all the traffic, and get in a really thorough work out. I felt rushed today, and ended up being 5 minutes late to school. I want to be early, and maybe pick up a coffee for one of my good friends/ coworkers. We both work multiple jobs right now, and the mornings have been a little brutal lately.

Also, a little bummed that my knee is still in a lot of pain today. Kneeling for anything has been out of the question, and my workout today was a real struggle. Hoping to rest it tonight, and maybe stretch it out a bit tomorrow during a flexibility class at the aerial studio.

Current Challenge

Wow you're going to leave really earlyt hen! Hope it works out for you, and I hope you are the earliest riser so there won't be too much traffic! Be careful with your knee okay? <3 :(

Bah, sorry about your knee. Maybe get some ice on that when you have a minute?

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Being very careful with the knee! I promise! It's been feeling really stiff, so I'm doing the best I can to keep the muscle warm and and stretch it out. It's feeling a lot better today than it did yesterday!

Today was a weird day, but really fun! My "leave at 5:30am" goal was a total bust. I think I woke up at 7:30, haha. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow!  I got out of work a little early, and decided to drop by an aerial yoga class. It was difficult, but I had a really good time. We used aerial hammocks, which I've never used before. We were hanging upside down in a couple poses, which was a weird experience for me. I don't think I've hung upside down on anything since I was a little kind on a jungle gym, haha. I had some time before working at night, so went to the gym and got a little bit of cardio in. Then I went back to the aerial studio for my shift. I love Thursdays, because I can take a flexibility class while I'm working.

I had a rough conversation with my mother today. She isn't super on board with all the changes I've made lately. I was explaining what happened to my knee during parkour class, and she got pretty heated. She started going off about how 'girls like me' don't do that sort of stuff.

"You're not some little Tinkerbell. You shouldn't be doing that shit."

I know it came from a place of love and fear of me getting hurt, but it wasn't exactly the most gentle way of putting things. I know I'm a big kid. I'm 5'10" and about 240lbs. I know that's a lot of person to be throwing around. But I don't want that to stop me. The more I practice, the harder I work, the easier it's going to get. It's just going to take time and faith in myself.

So I went to the studio, and started to set up for today's classes. I had a little bit of time, and decided to practice getting up into the lyra. And I was able to hook my right leg in on a side mount for the first time! I've been trying to do that for two weeks! I think that was just the little bit of reassurance that I needed. I'm gonna get there eventually.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Very cool that you were upside down! That seems quite scary but I guess when you get over that part also really freeing! 

Sucks that your mother was like that. :( I mean, even though she doesn't mean bad. But the thing is you probably can't change her mind by talking. You will just have to show her :) 

Very cool that you were upside down! That seems quite scary but I guess when you get over that part also really freeing! 

Sucks that your mother was like that. :( I mean, even though she doesn't mean bad. But the thing is you probably can't change her mind by talking. You will just have to show her :)

Oh, for sure. I definitely plan to show her how wrong she is :) haha

Current Challenge

Nothing too exciting to report today. I hope everyone had a great Halloween! What did y'all dress up as??

Still a little worried about my knee. The less active I am, the more trouble it's been giving me. The past two days have been a little hectic (in a good way!) and I haven't really had time to work out very much. I was doing a quick bodyweight circuit during my down time at the studio, and I tried to do a burpee and my knee didn't like that very much. I think I'm going to invest in a new knee brace, and I'm considering taking a week of from parkour class just to be safe. I'd really rather not skip, but I don't want to to make it a worse problem than it needs to be.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Yay!  Another aerialist!  You'll be amazed how quickly your fitness improves with it, it's such a good full body workout :)  And the most fun you can have with your clothes on ;)

Hahaha, yay! Well, aspiring aerialist at least ;) And I totally agree, it's a phenomenal full body work, and it really is a ton of fun!

Current Challenge

Happy first day of the challenge!

I got my aerial classes in for the week with both silks and lyra. I'm so happy. I got up and under the hoop today in lyra class! I was able to to do a knee hang, which was super awesome. My grip strength sucks, so I wasn't able to pike back, or pull myself up to sit in the hoop at all- but at least it's progress! I'm super proud, and really excited to see some improvement. Can't wait to keep trying! Such a great way to officially kick off the challenge!

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Also, this being the first day of the challenge, I stepped on the scale to have a reference point for the next 6 weeks.

It's an old scale that someone left behind in my apartment before I moved in, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Either way, I weighed in at 237lbs. It's a pretty solid improvement from the 250lbs I started at a little over a month ago. I'm excited to hopefully see a number drop in six weeks when I step on it again!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Doesn't matter if it's not very accurate, as long as you weigh again on the same one. Then you can see your progress. The ACTUAL number only has so much value, like giving a rough idea if you're overweight, but honestly you can tell by just looking at your body if you are healthy. :) So I think it's great and now lets hope after the 6 weeks you came closer to your goals!

• Like 2