battlescars: Learning to Fly

battlescars

Decided to pass on parkour class tonight on two accounts.

1. I don't think my knee could handle anything too high impact tonight.

2. A girl at the aerial studio offered to swap shifts with me, and I needed someone to cover me next week, so that worked out well.

That being said, I decided to make up for my lack of a parkour class this week with an extra aerial class. I took an aerial conditioning class, and it totally kicked my ass. My arms feel like they're gonna fall off, and I'm sitting at the front desk eating grapes in pain. But I think that's a good thing. And I had to run an errand, and I walked outside and it was cold and rainy (rare for Los Angeles!) and it was beautiful.

Got a solid cardio workout in earlier today too, so I'm feeling a lot better about the obscene amount of chilaquiles I ate at brunch today. :)

• Like 6

Current Challenge

| Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter |

"Forget stardust, you are iron."

Awesome substitute class. :D

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Keeping on that aerial grind this week! Decided to go back and take aerial yoga again. This time was a bit easier, and a lot less terrifying. I'm feeling less anxious about hanging upside down, and it's a lot easier when I'm hesitating less. I also took a flexbility class today, which felt a little bit harder than it normally does. I think I was just tired. But my back bend is getting a lot better! I can almost lift my head off the ground. I'm so close! Hopefully I'll get there soon.

Also, prepped a meal! (finally!)

I've got a nice turkey and spinach omelet ready to bring to work tomorrow. Woo!

Kind of a cool little inspiration moment-

The billboard across the street from my church recently changed and I feel like it really reaffirms everything that I've been working towards lately.

It just says "The moment is here, the time is now."

It might be kinda cheesy, but that just feels really relevant right now. I spent so long putting off the person I want to be. I told myself over and over that better circumstances for change will come. But honestly, the moment really is here. There's no reason to wait. There never was.

12200657_10153898156046844_102100600_n.j

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Wow you're doing great on the flying! ;)

And I always think that quote is beautiful too, and I think it is VERY relevant to many if not all of us nerds on here. :) You can do it girl, really!

• Like 1

That being said, I decided to make up for my lack of a parkour class this week with an extra aerial class. I took an aerial conditioning class, and it totally kicked my ass. My arms feel like they're gonna fall off, and I'm sitting at the front desk eating grapes in pain

Arms feeling like they are going to fall off sounds like an aerial day success to me!  :D

Also nom nom nom nom chilaquiles. nommmmmmmm.

Also, AHA Los Angeles!  I was like "this picture looks like Southern Ca...." I'm up in Ventura so not too far from you!

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Arms feeling like they are going to fall off sounds like an aerial day success to me!  :D

Also nom nom nom nom chilaquiles. nommmmmmmm.

Also, AHA Los Angeles!  I was like "this picture looks like Southern Ca...." I'm up in Ventura so not too far from you!

Oh my gosh! Hey neighbor! That's so cool! :D

Current Challenge

The past couple days have been a little crazy with my work schedule/ trying to be social. I just got a quick cardio workout in on Friday, and opted to sleep in a little instead of going to the gym on Saturday. But Saturday was also my first shift working unsupervised at the parkour gym, and I was definitely feeling anxious about it. But all went well! No one died, and I didn't burn the building down. There was a birthday party at the end of the day, and they offered food and cake to myself and the two coaches that were working. It was super sweet, and I got the opportunity to talk to one of the coaches. I feel like I'm so separated from the coaches all the time, so it was nice to get to know one of my new coworkers a little bit.

This morning, we had a weird scheduling error at the aerial studio. We somehow ended up with one person in a fitness class, and we usually cancel the class if there's less than two people. So the instructor asked if I would join, so the other woman wouldn't feel awkward. The class is called Stretch & Sculpt. It combines cardio, flexibility, and circuit training. This was the first time I felt my body start to force quit. I wasn't mentally prepped for the class, and I think that really through me off. I kinda feel like I'm going to die. But it was a good workout, for sure. I've decided to pass on flex class today, just because I haven't eaten anything yet, and I'm feeling a little nauseous. Looking forward to getting some lunch after my shift/ before church.

I'm starting to mentally prep myself to go back to parkour class this week. I'm still nervous about my knee, but I think it's at a place where I can do basic movements. I asked a friend to go to class with me, so hopefully that helps. I think I've just gotten in my own head about it. I overheard one of the coaches talking to a kid who hurt himself on the trampoline, and he told him "You can't let it scare you. Learn from it, but don't be afraid of it." So I'm trying to adopt that. :)

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Let's look at this week-

1. 1 Parkour & 1 Aerial Class

Well I skipped parkour, but this week I took:

-Lyra

-Silks

-Aerial Yoga

-Aerial Conditioning

So I'm gonna give myself credit this week.

2.Post Twice A Week

I posted a lot this week...at least for me. I'm not usually super connected to my computer, so I'm glad I was able to make the effort and get online.

3. Prep Two Meals

I prepped exactly two meals. I brought a spinach and turkey omelet to work on Friday, and some roasted sweet potato with bacon yesterday. Woo!

4.Don't check the scale

Haven't done it yet, but it's driving me crazy. I might just straight up hide the scale in my apartment.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

So busy getting things done. Do whatever you need to do to keep your goal 4! Hiding is perfectly valid. :)

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

It's already almost Wednesday? This week is flying!

Yesterday was solid. I had my lyra class, which was fun! I can almost pull myself up to sit in the lyra. I'm sure I'll get it in the next week or so. Unfortunately, they moved the time of my silks class, and I can no longer attend :( Hopefully I'll be able to find another time that works with my schedule later down the road. I worked at the parkour gym yesterday, and had to call an ambulance for one of the members. He fell while doing strides and dislocated his shoulder. It was kinda scary, but everyone handled the situation really well.

Today I only had to work at the elementary school, which is great. I went to the gym after work and busted out a killer cardio session, followed by some upper body strength training. I got home, had dinner, and worked on did a quick ab circuit. Now I'm gonna do laundry, clean my room, and settle down with a glass of wine and some iZombie :)

I was going to go to parkour class tonight, but I've got a bit of a headache and a stuffy nose, and I'd much rather rest and feel up to par tomorrow than push too hard and feel like crap in the morning. Also, I might be a little anxious after last night's incident. I really want to get back to parkour, but I'm starting to wonder if focusing on that AND aerials is too much for this challenge. I feel like I'm pushing myself with aerials, so maybe I'll just keep putting the majority of my energy into that. We'll see.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

I hope you will find another silks class! Sorry to hear about the accident at parkour, it sure sounds scary but I'm glad there was no full blown panic in response. :) Try to maybe evaluate this week if you're doing too much, and if you do change the challenge for the next week? You need to be happy, and it needs to be a challenge, but it doesn't need to be undoable <3

• Like 1

It is definitely hard to do two things but aerials + parkour at least in terms of jumps/landings/lower body stuff seem complementary? I hope you can switch to a class that works for your schedule! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

I think I'm just letting my fear get in the way when it comes to parkour class. I'm afraid of hurting/ embarrassing myself. But I think I just need to muster up my 20 seconds of courage and show up to class. There's a girl who recently started taking classes on Wednesday night, and she always comes up to me and tells me how nervous she is. I told her that I was just starting with parkour too, and she was so excited. She wants me to update her on my progress every week when she come in. So I'm hoping she'll hold me accountable :D

Today was pretty low key. I had the morning off from the school, so I slept a lot. It was much needed :) Got in a solid cardio workout, and now I'm at the parkour gym. Looking forward to kicking some ass at the gym tomorrow. Thursdays I get to spend a couple hours working out, and I'm excited to get to work.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Yay for a buddy! :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

I’m scared of starting parkour now, especially now that if I keep reminding my roommate I have an option. I feel like she forgot about it, so I have an out and I don’t want to takei t yet I don’t actively try to make it happen you know?

But I’m sure you will have fun and you don’t have to do anything that makes you too uncomfortable. It just needs to be a little bit outside your comfort zone so you grow but at the same time you stay safe.  :)

Week Two!

1. 1 Parkour & 1 Aerial Class

Skipped parkour again because I'm all anxious and in my own head about it. But I still went to lyra and aerial yoga. Half credit this week.

2.Post Twice A Week

Did it! Definitely lost track of the second half of the week though. Hoping to post more this week though.

3. Prep Two Meals

Nope :( Unless you count saving my left over Chinese food as meal prep. To be far, I was able to go home and cook a bit more than usual this week, but there was certainly plenty of opportunities for me to cook food and take it to work with me.

4.Don't check the scale

Going strong on this one. Woo!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I went to parkour class tonight! I didn't die! Woo!

Definitely took that 20 seconds of courage to get in my car and go, but I'm so glad that I did. It was a blast. Worked on some precision jumps and rolls today. I've noticed I'm kind of terrified of jumping down from things, but the coach today was great. He talked a lot about mind over matter, and building up progressions to assure yourself that you are capable of doing whatever you're about to do. It was incredibly helpful. I'm excited to go back next week.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Yay I am glad you mustered the courage to go to parkour! Look at you stepping it up! I'm also super glad the coach was amazing, that helps a lot I can imagine!

• Like 1

!!! HOORAY! I am so glad you made it out! :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin