The Courtyard (Monks General Chat Thread)

RisenPhoenix

Welp, we have a week until the next challenge, so I guess now is the time to be silly.

So, November 2nd until December 15th is the next challenge date!  Anyone want some help with their challenges?

If not, I'm going to do the usual thing:

Who's read the newest Jim Butcher book?  Because it was shiny and I want to talk about it more.  Other acceptable alternatives are the newest book in the Mistborn series by Sanderson.

nerdlife1.gif?w=245&h=245

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I've defected to the Scouts for this challenge because half marathon in three weeks

BUT WHERE WILL I GET MY BEAR FIX NOW?

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm still working on the new Mistborn (psst, hi!)

Hi ixaera. I had to google Mistborn, because I never read Brandon Sandersons books. But I'm also into fantasy and know the feeling of having too less time to read all the things I would like to read. ;)
  • Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Hi ixaera. I had to google Mistborn, because I never read Brandon Sandersons books. But I'm also into fantasy and know the feeling of having too less time to read all the things I would like to read. ;)

Right?? I have SO much I want to read. (I'm an enormous Sanderson fan-girl, no shame here.) But between work and responsibilities it can be hard to find the time. And of course my responsibilities include grinding levels in ffxiv (or at least checking on my market board listings).

PS I'm totally gonna try to join you guys next challenge

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

I just started going through the Dresden Files on Audiobook.  I've only listened to the first book, but so far I really like it.  The Audible version has an incredible narrator who really enhances the experience.

Mistborn is great!  I Audiobook-ed the main trilogy about a year ago and just put a hold on "Alloy of Law" with my local library.  Can't wait to dive in.

• Like 2

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Right?? I have SO much I want to read. (I'm an enormous Sanderson fan-girl, no shame here.) But between work and responsibilities it can be hard to find the time. And of course my responsibilities include grinding levels in ffxiv (or at least checking on my market board listings).

PS I'm totally gonna try to join you guys next challenge

I'm FINALLY getting into the Stormlight Archives.  I like it, I just go so slow.  I probably should have picked up Shadows of Self, but I needed a book fast and already had that downloaded on my kindle.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I'm FINALLY getting into the Stormlight Archives.  I like it, I just go so slow.  I probably should have picked up Shadows of Self, but I needed a book fast and already had that downloaded on my kindle.

The archives ARE AMAZING. My problem is how far they are from completed as a full work, which means every time a book comes out for it I'll have to reread it to remember decent detail. SO good though. I wonder how well a Bridge 4 themed workout would work...

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

I just started going through the Dresden Files on Audiobook.  I've only listened to the first book, but so far I really like it.  The Audible version has an incredible narrator who really enhances the experience.

Mistborn is great!  I Audiobook-ed the main trilogy about a year ago and just put a hold on "Alloy of Law" with my local library.  Can't wait to dive in.

He is pretty incredible isn't he? When they did Ghost Story (book 13?), he wasn't available so they used a different narrator. The new guy wasn't bad, he just wasn't James Marsters. There was so much feedback, they re-recorded the book with Marsters narrating. They even gave a free copy of the Marsters version to people who had the other guy's version. Marsters really is Harry's voice in my mind. 

• Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

It is indeed.  Filled with randomness and ancient martial art secrets.

We don't tell warriors like you.  Don't want too many of you crowding the place.

I think it's great how RP asks if anyone's read Butcher's newest and everyone just starts talking about the Dresden Files. Makes me feel bad for the guy... until I realize that he met his fiancee and a boatload of cash off that damned IP. And suddenly I am marginally less sympathetic.

Anyway, read Cinder Spires. Took a lot less time to get up and running, and I like it as Victorian fantasy, but it just doesn't feel steampunk to me.

Not enough gears clanking or references to the Crown, I guess.

• Like 1

I think it's great how RP asks if anyone's read Butcher's newest and everyone just starts talking about the Dresden Files. Makes me feel bad for the guy... until I realize that he met his fiancee and a boatload of cash off that damned IP. And suddenly I am marginally less sympathetic.

Anyway, read Cinder Spires. Took a lot less time to get up and running, and I like it as Victorian fantasy, but it just doesn't feel steampunk to me.

Not enough gears clanking or references to the Crown, I guess.

I know, right?  I even linked to the book!

And yea, definitely Steampunk-lite.  I was okay with it, and I think he did lay the groundwork for it to pick up a lot in future novels.  Remember, the ship we saw the most of was an OLD ship, and filled with the universe's low tech, with a few shining special examples (and I can't wait to hear how the hell Grimm got that).  But I do think Jim looked at older Final Fantasy games and went "This is my inspiration."

• Like 2

I really liked the Aeronaut's Windlass.  Felt like a good start to the series.  It was rather FFish.  Reminded me some of the David Weber's On Basilisk Station as well, mostly in tone and cats.  Probably prompted by his blurb on the cover. 

I will shamefully admit that I probably resemble Gwen when under a critical deadline at work.  Barriers to shipments?  SMASH THEM.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

It has airships, bruh. AIRSHIPS. BEING FLOWN BY SKY PIRATES.

I mean, seriously, it's right up your alley.

I also liked his characters a lot. I mean, yeah, they're all kind of one-note, but at least they're differing notes. I haven't quite figured that trick out for my own work yet. I definitely had to read some of Journeyman's swears aloud, because they're too much fun. :D

• Like 1

To those who are interested, the raid challenge test is ready to go.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73076-raid-challenge-administration-office/

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

It has airships, bruh. AIRSHIPS. BEING FLOWN BY SKY PIRATES.