Scion of the Je'daii: Kyellan's Journey Continues

Kyellan

jedaii-e1441801744973.png

I didn't really feel like I was ready to upgrade myself to Je'daii Ranger, but continuing the Journeyer theme gives me the perfect framework for this new challenge.

Also: GUYS! Do you realize that this challenge will carry us through the premiere of Star Wars Episode 7? Like, by the time this challenge is over, we will have seen it, and know for certain whether or not J.J. Abrams' desecration of Star Trek was even a little bit worth it.

-----

Master Alora Denn's holocron tells me of the ancient rites of the Je'daii--those who came before, the first Force users. They lived on Tython, the homeworld of the Jedi Order, in those forgotten days. A Je'daii, upon completing their initial training, became a Journeyer--and it fell to them to travel all of the nine temples of Tython, to learn and understand their place in the Force, before they could be granted the rank of Ranger.

Most of those temples are lost to time, and I am no longer welcome on Tython. It falls to me to find my own way in the galaxy, to find my place within the living Force. 

The Temples of Tython

Part One
Kaleth: The Temple of Knowledge

Kaleth was only recently rediscovered, and now it is best known to the Jedi as the final holdout of the dark master Rajivari during the Force Wars, but before that, it was a shining beacon of knowledge. It was home to a library more vast than any other in the known galaxy, and Je'daii of all kinds spent thousands of hours there, learning what they could from its archives.

EDITED

After some thought, my improvement of technique in both Lightsaber and Kung Fu falls firmly under Part Two's umbrella. Instead, my knowledge/learning for this challenge will be focused on my budgeting skills. It's something I really need to focus on, and I need to figure out a method that works better than keeping it all in my head, because that doesn't really work at all.

For the first four weeks of this challenge, Part One will be about working with YNAB to see if it fits my needs and thinking style in this arena. We'll see what happens after the trial is up.

---------

Part Two

Stav Kesh: The Temple of Martial Arts

Stav Kesh was where the Je'daii trained in the martial ways of their order--learning their weapons, building strength and agility, becoming the warriors that they aspired to be. In the days before the Force Hound Xesh appeared, bringing the first forcesaber (the precursor to the lightsaber) to Tython, the Forge Master created blades of metal that were the signature weapons of the Je'daii. It was with these metal weapons that they learned their arts and honed their craft.

EDITED

All of my Kung Fu/Lightsaber/Kettlebell stuff will fall under this part of the challenge. Anything I do which improves my knowledge of form, the finesse of technique, endurance, or strength will be considered to contribute toward the Martial Arts part of my challenge. This includes:

1. Attending Kung Fu class

2. Attending lightsaber class

3. Attending dueling day

4. Working on kettlebell form (either swing or TGU)

5. Specifically setting aside time to work on Kung Fu/Lightsaber outside of class

6. Running (just in case I decide to do so once in a while)

--------

Part Three

Akar Kesh: The Temple of Balance

Akar Kesh was once the site of a great eight-pillared temple built around a circular pool of water, where the Je'daii reflected on the lessons of balance between Ashla and Bogan--the light and dark sides of the Force. Maintaining balance between light and dark, peace and passion, was central to the tenets of the ancient Je'daii--and the reason that I am drawn to Master Denn's teachings.

The remaining 40% of my focus will be a continued emphasis on eating. For the past six weeks, I have practiced the discipline of the Light side of the Force when it comes to sugary snacks. Before that, I was definitely over-indulging the Dark Side. Now that I have seen both, the goal will be to integrate a balance of peace and passion, of discipline and indulgence, in order to make my life into what I really want it to be. I can't hardly claim to believe in this blended ideology and not actually practice it, so deprivation will not remain the ultimate goal.

The focus of this goal will be calorie counting in order to resume my weight loss, but making sure to leave room for the foods and treats that I am really passionate about; and to make exceptions for those times when the passion takes precedence, and return to discipline after those moments have passed.

• Like 3

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Also: GUYS! Do you realize that this challenge will carry us through the premiere of Star Wars Episode 7? Like, by the time this challenge is over, we will have seen it, and know for certain whether or not J.J. Abrams' desecration of Star Trek was even a little bit worth it.

*internal excited screaming*

I'm at work, can't really scream here...

I'm following along :)

And I got excited, too. Although I was more into Star Gate as teenager.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

My wife was sick last night, so I ended up as the only one at lightsaber class. (I have to stalk the other guys on Facebook... they've missed at least two in a row now.) 

Sifu worked with me on the form for a few minutes, but after that we redirected and worked on the next few moves of the Monkey King staff form instead. =) I had zero objection to this, because I'm finding myself feeling a real affinity for the staff.

Obligatory:

Do+you+have+the+gif+of+sterling+saying+p

Back to Kung Fu tonight, but no class on Friday due to the holiday. (Several towns in my area do Halloween on Friday night.) 

• Like 2

Challenges

Sifu worked with me on the form for a few minutes, but after that we redirected and worked on the next few moves of the Monkey King staff form instead. =) I had zero objection to this, because I'm finding myself feeling a real affinity for the staff.

Teach me your ways! I've always wanted to learn how to wield/use a staff. My husband never got that far with his training, so there's not much he can pass on. :)

• Like 1

Anyone who's interested: this is my Sigung (Sifu's Sifu) demonstrating the beginning of the staff form I'm learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcNI-Szrb0o

You really know how to make your audience happy:) I'll watch it, when I get home.

Now we are calory counting buddys and again I'm getting a clue what I'm doing with the app. They changed some things... Or I just forgot where they were ^^

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

As per usual, I'm following a fellow Force-User in Arms (or whatever we'd be called, coming from opposite ends of the Force and meeting in the middle.....)

WOOT WOOT! 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Anyone who's interested: this is my Sigung (Sifu's Sifu) demonstrating the beginning of the staff form I'm learning.

Also, this is very interesting!  The major thing I notice is that he never changes to a Mixed-Grip (to use the deadlifting term).  It seems to help his control and keep the transitions smoother. 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Is it okay if I admit that when I saw the latest trailer drop I thought to myself, Oh, look, the next Star Trek film came out. Because I really thought that.

Anyway, it all looks good. Everything looks focused on the martial arts, and it looks like you have some definite forms and patterns to pick up. It's good. You will progress this way.

• Like 1

Also, this is very interesting!  The major thing I notice is that he never changes to a Mixed-Grip (to use the deadlifting term).  It seems to help his control and keep the transitions smoother. 

It's true! Our Sifu specifically discourages us from the 'mixed grip'. We slide, we spin, but the grip is always 'kayak'. Sifu says that the mixed grip is handy for doing an easy figure-8 spin, but other than that it's severely lacking in power--which he also demonstrated for us one night with the saberstaff.

You really know how to make your audience happy:) I'll watch it, when I get home.

Now we are calory counting buddys and again I'm getting a clue what I'm doing with the app. They changed some things... Or I just forgot where they were ^^

MFP changed a bunch of stuff. I'm finding the calorie diary much easier to use, but some of the other stuff is buried in there in weird places.

Is it okay if I admit that when I saw the latest trailer drop I thought to myself, Oh, look, the next Star Trek film came out. Because I really thought that.

Anyway, it all looks good. Everything looks focused on the martial arts, and it looks like you have some definite forms and patterns to pick up. It's good. You will progress this way.

Ha, yeah that's okay--because the cinematography is so similar anyway. Rrgh... no-- no ranting. No ranting. :/

Thanks Kishi! It does look like my kettlebell has to wait for my budget to roll over next month (unexpected expenses, yay), but until then I'm going to start training myself to get up earlier again, and work on my kung fu and yoga in the meantime.

---------------

More point sparring last night--I'm better at it again than I was last week. Sifu has given me a lot of things to think about, and it can be tough to keep them all in your head while you're trying to hit somebody, but I think I'm improving. In my second bout against Sifu I scored two clean points (like, no argument) so that made me pretty happy.

The food problem continues to get easier, which is nice. I no longer feel like I'm constantly hungry. On Saturday morning I'll see where my weight is at after two weeks of calorie counting.

• Like 2

Challenges

If you don't mind me chiming in, don't try to keep everything in mind all at once. More often than not, what happens is that a lot of the things you want to fix are all tied togther. If you focus on just doing one thing better, it changes the game enough that a lot of the other things, if they don't auto-correct, kind of get dragged closer to something that looks like it was fixed. If that makes sense. It's helped me a lot, and it might help you too.

• Like 2

If you don't mind me chiming in, don't try to keep everything in mind all at once. More often than not, what happens is that a lot of the things you want to fix are all tied togther. If you focus on just doing one thing better, it changes the game enough that a lot of the other things, if they don't auto-correct, kind of get dragged closer to something that looks like it was fixed. If that makes sense. It's helped me a lot, and it might help you too.

Yeah, you're always welcome to chime in. :D

It's a very good point. I think the big one for me is remembering to keep my spine in neutral and stay relaxed. I have a tendency to lean forward to extend my reach, but it costs me a lot in balance for lots of other things. I need to stay upright and move more smoothly--I think a lot would be better from there.

---------------

Tomorrow will mark two full weeks since I started counting calories. We'll see if the scale has anything to say about it.

No Kung Fu tonight because of Halloween, so I might do some lightsaber or staff work in the backyard. If it's dark (which it almost certainly will be) I'll probably default to the saber because I'll at least be able to see it. :D

• Like 1

Challenges

So basically, our whole universe could be a simulation of itself.   Interesting.  

There's actually a school of thought that goes something like (severely paraphrased)...

If it is possible to simulate the universe, then the likelihood that we are living in a simulation is basically 100%.

This is due to the fact that a simulation being possible leads to more and more simulations and sims within sims, so if there is only one objective reality, the likelihood of our reality being the objective one diminishes rapidly.

I was already aware of this thought experiment, but the little Reddit discussion above may be the little nugget that caused my brain to click in with this theory as it never had before... because that's how a programmer would design a function like that.

• Like 1

Challenges

And for today's small victory:

The admin assistant from our Boston office shipped up a boatload of Halloween candy, because she's obsessed. (I was at the Boston office last year, there were literally four tables covered in candy.)

I took one piece, considered it against my daily food diary, and decided to go for it. I also stored some other bits for later. I'm wrapping up my day, and haven't touched them.

Today I have successfully blended passion with discipline.

• Like 4

Challenges

Haha, that is a good step. Be careful with it, though. It can be a good way to stay sane on the journey, but it needs to be regarded as a way to gain and keep perspective. Otherwise, you'll find your way down the darker side of IIFYM, and you will not like what you find.

• Like 1

Haha, that is a good step. Be careful with it, though. It can be a good way to stay sane on the journey, but it needs to be regarded as a way to gain and keep perspective. Otherwise, you'll find your way down the darker side of IIFYM, and you will not like what you find.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to drift too far in any direction. I only want to make these exceptions for treats that actually make me happy in some way. More often: dark chocolate. Less often: soda. I don't want to add it in just because there's room in my calorie count, that's for sure!

• Like 2

Challenges

Two weeks of calorie counting, 4 lbs down. Not sure exactly of the composition of the loss, but I'm not complaining.

If I can do that again, I'll be closing in on 220 by the time the tournament rolls around!

• Like 2

Challenges

Well, I think it might all or mostly be fat/water. At two pounds per week, you're on the upper end of what's considered a 'safe' rate of weight loss. Training and doing strength work like you're doing should make it so that you're at least preserving your lean tissues, so it should all be good...

• Like 1

Well, I think it might all or mostly be fat/water. At two pounds per week, you're on the upper end of what's considered a 'safe' rate of weight loss. Training and doing strength work like you're doing should make it so that you're at least preserving your lean tissues, so it should all be good...

Ooh, speaking of which, I finally got to work on my TGU form today. It's deceptively simple. I was practicing with a slipper, as the S&S book recommends (since I don't yet have a KB) just to get the balance right, and after some work I managed to go both up and down on both sides without dropping the shoe on my face. =) The big thing is remembering to keep my shoulders down/locked, which will also be good for my Kung Fu, since my Sifu is always telling me to keep my damn shoulders down.

I also did a bunch of staff and lightsaber form work this afternoon. I can almost manage to do the tornado spin in the lightsaber form with some grace. Almost.

• Like 3

Challenges