Evicious: Unarmed Attack

Evicious

Last challenge I sustained an injury to my shoulder; too many weeks later, I finally recieved a diagnosis: AC Separation.

separated_shoulder_ac_joint.jpg

I was not informed what grade of separation I have, so I'm assuming it's somewhere between a 1 and 2 (based solely on my observations in the mirror on how large of a bump I now display). I am currently in the process of trying to begin physical therapy - that is to say, I'm waiting for the powers-that-be to re-exam me and make their magical medical computers spit out an appointment date.

In view of the aforementioned injury, I have determined this challenge's title will be the tongue-in-cheek "Unarmed Attack". This is amusing to me, if no one else. :tongue:

So, on to Challenge Goals!

Main Goal: Finish a 2nd challenge. Last challenge I was once again hijacked by the call of duty (NO, not the game), so I would really like to redeem myself here. Very little about my goals from before have changed.

:star: WEAPON UPGRADE! :star:  I finally decided to buy a Fitbit Surge. It arrived last Friday, and I have been very pleased with it thus far. Aside from tracking my heartrate as a bit high (or maybe I need to get my blood pressure checked? Compared the Fitbit to an actual armband cuff at the clinic; Fitbit is approximately 12bpm higher.), everything works smoothly and is easy to use. I went for my first run with it this morning and was especially pleased with the GPS performance. No more carrying my phone around with me to record my routes! :D

Subgoals:

1. Bodyweight workout 3x a week

I already know I have to keep my right arm out of the mix. I also know that I don't want to work just my left arm and risk creating more of an imbalance than I'm already going to have by the time its partner is finally healed.

PT will help with this, although I'm still a little unclear how to record the military exercises on Fitocracy (ex: the 8 count pushup. It's just a burpee, but instead of doing a single pushup you perform two. If you think burpees are easy, then this is the next level up for you! Not that I can do those now with my stupid arm, but you get the point... wait, what was my point again? Um....)
Anyhoo, PT is M/W/F - assuming the weather is good, and other work responsibilities don't get in the way. Yes, you read that right: my current unit eschews the traditional Army standpoint ("If it ain't rainin', it ain't trainin'!"). All it takes is the beginning of a sprinkle and everyone goes, "Welp, guess we'll wait until next time!" It's a little wierd, a little fun, and a little disappointing all at the same time. It also means that I have to take full responsibility for T/Th workouts, and any days PT is deemed more of a hassle than a benefit (which is more often than you might think). Ergo, the following:

• Focus on what I can do, sans my arms - squats, lunges, calf raises, flutter kicks, bicycle/regular sit-ups, V-ups, leg holds
  • Track progress
  • Record progress on Fitocracy and NF 6WC thread

Scoring:

Every workout for the week performed, tracked and recorded = 3 pts

-1pt every workout not performed, or tracked and recorded

2. Walk, Jog, Run x5 a week

I *really* miss my spin class, but I need to focus on getting back into running.

• Walk, jog, or run 5 days a week (hashing does not count, because that's just weekend fun)
  • Track progress
  • Record progress on Fitocracy and NF 6WC thread

Scoring:

Every walk, jog, and run for the week tracked and recorded = 5 pts

-1pt every walk, jog, run not performed, or tracked and recorded

3. Food choices x7 a week

I fell completely off the bandwagon when my work interrupted my last challenge. Because of this, I want to aggressively focus on eating clean and staying at/under my caloric limits. I'm hoping this will be easier now that I have my Fitbit; it syncs with MyFitnessPal, which automatically adjusts my 'Calories Remaining' according to how many Fitbit says I've burned. It's especially nice because they sync up automatically throughout the course of my day, too, so every meal I record shows the adjusted amount available according to how active I've been up to that point. Technology, FTW!

• Stay at or under 1500 calories a day
  • Track daily intake on MFP and NF 6WC thread

Scoring:

Every day caloric goal is met = 1 pt

Every food choice for the week tracked and recorded = 7 pts

-1pt every day caloric goal exceeded

-1pt every food choice not tracked and recorded

Total # of points possible: 132 pts

Total # of points currently: 0 Total Points

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Beginning Stats:               Mid-6WC Stats:        Final Stats:

Weight: 183 Lbs                  Weight: Lbs               Weight: Lbs

Waist: 32.5 in.                     Waist: in.                    Waist: in.

Arms:                                   Arms:                         Arms:

- R: 11.5 in. - L: 11.5 in.       - R: in. - L: in.             - R: in. - L: in.

Thighs:                                Thighs:                       Thighs:

- R: 22.25 in. - L: 22 in.        - R: in. - L: in.             - R: in. - L: in.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Weekly Points

Week 1: SG 1 - 1           Week 2:  SG 1 - 1            Week 3: SG 1 - ?            Week 4: SG 1 - ?           Week 5: SG 1 - ?            Week 6: SG 1 - ?

SG 2 - 3                          SG 2 -                           SG 2 - ?                          SG 2 - ?                         SG 2 - ?                          SG 2 - ?

SG 3 - 2                          SG 3 - 2                           SG 3 - ?                          SG 3 - ?                         SG 3 - ?                          SG 3 - ?

Totals:         6                                      7

• Like 5

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

775a28de 1ad6 4177 8c2a 53f56d7aea27

Obviously you did this to give the challenge a fighting chance, right? 

:)
  • Like 4

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Good luck with the physical therapy!  The whole process can be really boring and demoralizing, so I'll be here to cheer for you and support you!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Owie. But I think it is an amusing word play nevertheless. :)

Cheering you on and posting cat gifs to help you keep your sense of humor well-honed. 

funny-cat-we-can-rebuild-him.jpg

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Good luck with your healing and challenge!

Thank you :) I'll be following you; lead the way!

Good luck!

Danke! Your comments are always welcome. :)

Obviously you did this to give the challenge a fighting chance, right? 

:)

Uh, OBviously! :P

Good luck with the physical therapy!  The whole process can be really boring and demoralizing, so I'll be here to cheer for you and support you!

Thank you! I read your PT thread from earlier this year. Glad to see you made a full recovery!

Throwing moonbeams, wishes, and rainbows and like.... candy buttons or some shit your way so you heal up.

(ノ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ノ --------*:・゚✧

Aw, Teros! :cheerful:  *goes hunting for your 6WC thread*

Owie. But I think it is an amusing word play nevertheless. :)

Cheering you on and posting cat gifs to help you keep your sense of humor well-honed. 

Love it! I'll take a cat .gif any day! :D

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

Careful where those hands go for that hug.  I'm single now but that doesn't mean I'm a piece of meat, ok?!  My eyes are up here.

LOL I'm married, so I promise you're safe with me! :tongue: My innappropriateness is strictly reserved for my husband, cats, and dog, who all have to put up with my unhibited farting anyway.

• Like 3

Keep up the momentum!

Week 0: Workouts

For reference, here is the Army's Physical Readiness Training manual: http://www.armyprt.com/.

I will likely be unable to perform many of these exercises until cleared by my physical therapist; until then, I will continue to modify them as best I can and try to find substitute movements for those I cannot.

Monday: Unit PT - Preparations Drills (10 count), 4 for the Core (60 sec each), Conditioning Drills 1 & 2 (10 count), Recovery Drill (60 sec each) I do everything 1-armed, and modify the push-ups into a 1-arm plank

Tuesday: Ran 2:01 mi/23:50 min First time out with the Fitbit; loved it.

Wednesday: Ran 2:61 mi/28:04 min Got to Unit PT early and did a mile around the track; Unit PT - 60/120s made up the remainder of the distance.

Thursday: We only have PT M/W/F, so I got an extra hour of sleep in. I don't think I did anything workout-related for the rest of the day; I did achieve my 10,000 steps though.

Friday: I showed up 30 minutes early to PT specifically to get a 1 mile run in before formation, only to discover 30 minutes later that myself, my supervisor, and my SGM had all missed the memo sent out the late afternoon prior that PT was to be "conducted on your own". So I finished out with 2 more miles and called it good.

Saturday: Rest day

Sunday: Rest day

Week 0: Calorie Counts

Monday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 1,741, Exercise: 446 = -85

Tuesday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 1,645, Exercise: 363 = -72

Wednesday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 2,660, Exercise: 730 = -720

Thursday: Goal: 1,210, Food: -1,936, Exercise: 386 = -340

Friday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 1,330, Exercise: 320 = +990

Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: Rest Day

• Like 6

Keep up the momentum!

Glad to see you getting back at it, Evicious!

• Like 1

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Yay you are back!!!! and now I will be following.

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Stick to lower body drills.  Squats.  Flutter kicks.

Your body is broken and it needs to heal.  Push the hooah envelope and you risk a medical discharge - especially with the push to cut numbers.

• Like 1

Glad to see you getting back at it, Evicious!

Glad to be back, Rurik. Keep blazin' trails for us - I'm tracking as best I can!

Yay you are back!!!! and now I will be following.

Honeybadger!!! :D *runs off to find your thread*

Stick to lower body drills.  Squats.  Flutter kicks.

Your body is broken and it needs to heal.  Push the hooah envelope and you risk a medical discharge - especially with the push to cut numbers.

Trackin'! I'm too close to my ETS to play the medical discharge game - those suckers take foreeeeevvver to conclude!

Hope you get some Wolverine style healing!  Haven't been around in awhile.  Still stationed abroad?  I'm saving that Armyprt site.  Once I am back in control of my stuff, I'd liek to be able to reach some of those goals :)

Thanks, Tateman! And I'm finally CONUS again - ironically, right back at the same place I went to AIT. My whole military career has taken me in a giant circle. Let me know when/if you want to do PRT: I can offer both advice and comisserations. :tongue: Also, would you mind terribly if I friended you on Fitbit? I'd love the extra motivation of knowing someone else is able to see how I'm doing.

Glad to see you back! Is the running ok for your shoulder?

Happy to be back, and happy to see you too! I've been told to "run at own pace and distance", so I just tuck my arm in close and pretend I'm practicing marathon running (trying to minimize as much upper-body involvement as possible). It doesn't feel great, but it feels better than not running.

• Like 4

Keep up the momentum!

Thanks, Tateman! And I'm finally CONUS again - ironically, right back at the same place I went to AIT. My whole military career has taken me in a giant circle. Let me know when/if you want to do PRT: I can offer both advice and comisserations. :tongue: Also, would you mind terribly if I friended you on Fitbit? I'd love the extra motivation of knowing someone else is able to see how I'm doing.

Please do.  I should have my user account in my signature, or you can add me by email address.  wrtate@gmail.com

Week 1: Workouts

Monday: Unit PT - Preparations Drills (10 count), Military Movement Drill 1, 2 mile release run, Recovery Drill (60 sec each) I do everything 1-armed, and modify the push-ups into a 1-arm plank
Tuesday: Epic fail day of do-nothingness. My husband got home from his first night-shift, so I was snuggled against my will for the hour I should've been up and running; then my entire schedule flip-flopped between being super-sneaky over lunch (while he was still trying to sleep) and being overly-productive once he left for work (as I had by then worked out that he had no plans to cook anything for his meals that week, but had instead decided to try to live off energy drinks and beef jerky). Ultimately, I ended up feeding him Papa Murphy's 5 Meat stuffed pizza, then cooking a massive amount of chicken breasts and my [also epically failed] beef and liver meatballs.
Wednesday: Unit PT - Ran 1.01 miles. Again, there was a last-minute call-off due to the extreme winds and uncertain rain. I have, however, made it a habit to arrive at the PT location 30 minutes prior in order to get in at least 1 mile on the track before formation. Pfft, weather - I'm unbowable, remember? :tongue:
Thursday: Epic fail day of do-nothingness.
Friday: Ran 2.01 miles.
Saturday: Slack day*
Sunday: Slack day*

* I'm not liking this emerging pattern of doing absolutely nothing other than playing video games on my weekends. Rest days =/= do absolutely nothing. Week 2 I am going to make it a priority to still get in my 10,000 steps at a MINIMUM. I have a dog I can walk and/or take to the dog park; I have a bike I can ride to the people-park or library - what I do not have is any reason why I should be sitting for 16 hours straight just because it's Saturday/Sunday.

Week 1: Calorie Counts
Monday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 1,897, Exercise: 436 = -251
Tuesday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 2,414, Exercise: 121 = -1,083
Wednesday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 1,607, Exercise: 603 = +206
Thursday: Goal: 1,210, Food: 1,105, Exercise: ----- = +105 I didn't workout yesterday, and I only made 6,436 out of my 10,000 steps
Friday: Goal: 1,210, Food: -----, Exercise: 541 = ? I forgot to log dinner, but I know for a fact I went over my calorie limit anyway.
Saturday: Goal: Slack day*
Sunday: Goal: Slack day*

* I've also just proven to myself this weekend that I cannot NOT count calories. Weekends =/= Food Free-for-all. I cannot out-walk/out-run/out-bike my diet; the two have to be synced in order for me to lose weight. The "Yay, weekend buffet!" mindset is over. Week 2 will = 7 days of food tracking, no exceptions.

Keep up the momentum!

Please do.  I should have my user account in my signature, or you can add me by email address.  wrtate@gmail.com

Yay! :D I think I just sent you a friend request... not 100% confident though, since I'm at work and my phone doesn't get great service. *crosses fingers*

Keep up the momentum!

Glad to be back, Rurik. Keep blazin' trails for us - I'm tracking as best I can!

I do what I can.  ;)

But you're absolutely laying waste to this challenge so far!  Is this an indicator of things to come?

• Like 1

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Doing great so far! I can't do half the workouts you do with both arms. 

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Doing great so far! I can't do half the workouts you do with both arms. 

LOL But you're kicking my ass at running! :tongue: Better watch out, though - I start physical therapy on the 19th. And yes, I am absolutely counting those sessions as part of my SG 1. Gotta take it where you can get it! ;)

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

Ladies and gentlemen, I GOOD NEWS!

Firstly, I have discovered a very important fact about myself: apparently, eating liver stops my hunger pangs. A normal day for me consists of constantly feeling "hungry"; even when I stuff myself, there's always a little voice in my head going, No, it's not enough; we need more! The night before last, I made a batch of (horribly unbalanced in beef-to-liver ratio) meatballs. I don't like liver, but as I am borderline anemic according to the military docs, I figured it was either hide my extra iron in my food or suffer the metal burps of iron supplement pills. I've tried the pills before, and was not a fan. So I hopped on Pinterest for some "hide the liver" recipes and found one that looked good for MEATBALLS!!!! My favorite food in the world is spaghetti, so this looked perfect. And it probably would've been, except that the recipe looked so simple I decided I didn't need to refer to the directions. I believe my first mistake was not marinating the livers. Apparently, either milk or apple cider vinegar can be used to reduce the bitter flavor. My second mistake was not paying attention to the recommended ratios. Do you know what half ground beef/half roughly chopped liver tastes like? Liver. It tastes like liver. I actually spit out the first meatball I tried, the flavor was that unexpectedly strong. I was thoroughly mad at myself for "wasting" all my good ground beef - but I was raised to eat what was cooked, so I resolved to find a way to choke down these obnoxious little offal balls even if it meant holding my nose to do it. And surprisingly, I did find a way to eat them! Behold: the humble liver meatball wrap!

12191058_1494949617467241_59785646385695

The ingredients are merely greek yogurt (which is my preferred option to sour cream), Dusseldorf mustard, and the offal balls. It sounds disgusting, and it doesn't look all that appealing either, I know; but the greek yogurt actually does a good job of toning down the bitterness of the liver, and the mustard almost completely disguises the remaining flavor. Plus, the whole thing is only 240kcal (and the majority of that is just the tortilla). I had this for breakfast yesterday around 06:30, adding some raw cabbage leaves on top for a little bit of crunch to help distract me from what I knew I was putting in my mouth. AND I WASN'T HUNGRY AGAIN UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON!!!

I'm using all-caps to convey the utter shock I underwent when I realized how long it had been since breakfast. And the non-hunger wasn't my normal will-power-enduced "I have already eaten; I do not need any more food," nor was it the accompanying norm of having a belly constantly refilled with interchanges of bottles of water and mugs of coffee. This was a straight-up feeling of "I'm full." I realized that not only had I not felt the need to constantly pour liquid down my throat in order to "feel full", I hadn't even thought about food!

picardWTF.jpg

I had to ask myself, did I really just spend an entire day not wanting to eat? Was it, perhaps, the liver - that disgusting, iron-rich, vitamin-filled gut-filter? Had it somehow met some obscure nutritional need for me? Or did I simply dislike eating it so much that I subconsciuosly determined - knowing I would have to eat it, because I wasn't going to throw all that food out - that it was worth holding out as long a possible in order to avoid putting another piece back in my face hole?

Well kiddies, today I had the same breakfast as yesterday, and I still haven't answered the-above questions. But I can also tell you that I'm not the slightest bit hungry yet. Any other breakfast and I would be drooling at my desk, daydreaming about my refridgerator. Liver balls for breakfast? I'm on NF soliloquizing about whether or not my normally ravenous appetite is the result of too-tasty a meal plan or plain ol' anemia. Regardless, the miracle is that I'm not hungry - which means I'm not miserable - which means I'm a little bewildered, and a lot happier than I'm used to being.

SECOND good news: I bought a bike!

12208317_1494974144131455_44188510523741

Now I have to buy a helmet... and it needs a kickstand... I'd really love to get one of those dog-leader attachments so I could take my pup for rides... :tongue:

• Like 4

Keep up the momentum!