• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Koaladle

You Encounter a Hippie Koaladle!

San Jose?  Really?  I am originally from Sunnyvale, so we were neighbors at one point, I moved up here for school and stayed after college.  I'm sure I'd recognize the high school name, I have a number of friends who went to school in San Jose. :)  

• Like 1

I went to Presentation for two year and Leigh for two years. :-) I went to college for one whirlwind year of beer at Fresno State. My mom and her six siblings went to high school at Peterson before it became a middle school.

Woot for will power mojo saying no to pizza and cinnamon sticks!!!

IT FELT LIKE DEATH. I saw a coupon for Papa John's in the junk mail today and I almost had a relapse. The thing that stopped me was knowing the groceries I lugged home a few days ago needed to be consumed. A couple of the veggies have already gotten moldy (Florida thing--produce can go bad within 4 days), so it's imperative that I stick to the meal plan, lest I waste a ton of money.

But speaking of junk food and emotional eating, 

UPDATE!

I woke up late this morning, so things started out wibbly wobbly. By the timey wimey I was out of bed, it was too late to do a grocery walk before HH was off to work. Heimdall needed to be closely supervised today, so leaving him alone until I got back was not an option. Filled with grumps, I found myself stuck at home. I got some chores done, (dishes, laundry, food production) but justified a lack of activity because I needed to pay attention to Heimdall. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely important to give him his meds and monitor his symptoms; however, it's possible to do body weight exercise in my living room while he snores in Himinbjörg--the Norse home of Heimdallr, or in my house a cardboard box containing a dog bed, pink Disney princess blanket, and stuffed dragon named Mushu.

It was too easy.

12049106_10156158911955644_5259490992073clipmush.gif

The negative mindset continued all day, despite lively conversations with fellow Nerds. I consumed nothing but coffee until 3, which is a TERRIBLE idea, because by the time I got hungry, I ate stupid things: a handful of M&Ms, quesadilla, leftover noodle bowl, more coffee, and all the while I had veggies on the counter BEGGING to be eaten. Anyway, my grumps were only compounded by crap customer service from Tiger Direct and accidentally washing a large load of clothes on the small load setting. You know what helps when your day is going backwards?

LILY ALLEN.

Cinderella-Facebook-Profile-Picture-cind

Or just a Disney Princess movie in general.

By the time the movie was over, it was time to get dinner started (pork chops with rice and left over carrots and zucchini). When Ben came home, he brought a couple things from the grocery store I'd asked he pick up. Along with the fresh basil, he brought cake, which I did help eat. Now before you get on me for eating cake, he bought it to celebrate receiving an award at work. He understands and appreciates my effort to lose weight and get in shape, but we have a rule at our place that we celebrate the wins. Normally, this would call for dinner delivered, a bottle of wine, and dessert.  That said, he did cut my piece to be much smaller than the others. Oh, I forgot to mention: the veggies, though prepared for dinner consumption, turned out soggy and otherwise full of ick. 

Once I cleaned up from dinner, I was fully prepared to log in and say I just skipped my quests today; I had four, ironclad excuses at the ready! Dog was sick, I had to celebrate with Ben, I have laundry to fold, and it's three days until we start the quests. As I started up another load, I was so grossed out by myself. I mean, Dog is recovering in the first place because I committed to the quest; Ben didn't go all out with celebrating to support my quest and was now relaxing on Elite; folding laundry is not a time sensitive task; and I started the quests early to get it together before it counted for stats. I couldn't imagine the fallout if I told my new friends I'd crapped out three days into my commitment; and using my family as scapegoats? What kind of character does THAT show?

This kind of the worst sort. Nope nope nope.

decisions-3.jpg

Disgusted, I got into my favorite tank top, some old Navy shorts, and tied up my shoes.

The gym was empty by the time I got there, leaving me free run to test out the free weights. I did surprisingly well with my deployment workout (Side Quest: Complete); when it came time for cardio, I made it 12 minutes in on the treadmill before my water hit me. I got back on intending to finish up 18 minutes and leave, but at the 15ish mark I decided to escalate to a jog; what was supposed to be a three minutes run turned into five and then...

For the first time in years, I'd run a mile. I finished up the full half hour, cleaned everything up, and went home.

Maybe it was anger or maybe it was pride, but tonight I proved I'm clearly capable of more than I assumed when I wrote up my challenge. I'll spend the next couple of days coming up with a more suitable quest. I don't want it to be easy; I want to struggle to perfection, for that is the only way I'll find earn my self esteem again.

It'll take a bullseye and nothing less.

10979549_334275866773498_618992020_n.jpg

My greatest accomplishments have been nothing short of a desperate effort to meet the minimum. It'll take some thinking and prayer, but I'll get it figured out. As always, I'll keep you updated.

TO SUM UP:

Quest 1 (Modified): COMPLETE!

Quest 2: Unsuccessful

Quest 3: COMPLETE! 4 liters consumed before bedtime

Oh, and until I come up with the more appropriate quests, I'll continue with my deployment workout. Today was arms and tomorrow is the ever-dreaded leg day--there's some motivation for sure.

• Like 4

I like how you celebrated with your husband by just having a small piece of cake. Figuring out how to handle things like that is the key to making sustainable choices. And woot for going to the gym when you don't fell like it.

Advice for your challenge: I wouldn't go for perfection, but for the slow, steady wins the race. I've seen too many people on the board say how it doesn't count unless they really go for it. But truth is, if you've developed bad habits, it is hard work to change them. First challenge, I recommend goals that are easy, then once you build up the habit of sticking to your goals, you can work on stretching your goals. Making it easy can still be life changing, and it is amazing how much confidence you get just from achieving your goals. 

• Like 3

I like how you celebrated with your husband by just having a small piece of cake. Figuring out how to handle things like that is the key to making sustainable choices. And woot for going to the gym when you don't fell like it.

Advice for your challenge: I wouldn't go for perfection, but for the slow, steady wins the race. I've seen too many people on the board say how it doesn't count unless they really go for it. But truth is, if you've developed bad habits, it is hard work to change them. First challenge, I recommend goals that are easy, then once you build up the habit of sticking to your goals, you can work on stretching your goals. Making it easy can still be life changing, and it is amazing how much confidence you get just from achieving your goals.

I second this... Much like a snowball rolling downhill, it's easy to get it started if small and let it build up, but starting big, it's that much harder to even get it moving.

• Like 4

My favorite was Viennese waltz (the elbow length gloves, sparkly jewelry, spins, other princessey attributes), but I learned rumba, salsa, foxtrot (ugh, love it so much), and a wee bit of polka--which is surprisingly exhausting! I was nowhere near competition level but I LOVED it. I'm American, by the way. I'm not sure if you were talking about a form of dance or my nationality. O.o

I quit dancing because the lessons are super expensive and I was getting married. Weddings, even when done with care to thrift, are a dastardly expensive party. 

We did the Viennese Waltz at our wedding.. it was BEAUTIFUL and I felt so very pretty moving in my dress.  It was a super simplified version, but still... I kow what you mean :D Princessey ftw. 

• Like 1

You had me at sustainable. :D

(on agreeing with Elastigirl)

I second this... Much like a snowball rolling downhill, it's easy to get it started if small and let it build up, but starting big, it's that much harder to even get it moving.

Fair enough--in that case, I'll just stay with the modified exercise quest (as that will get me active at least once a day for an hour) and I'll just track progress on my cardio. You guys have been around here long enough that you've seen what does and doesn't work and I'll trust your judgement. 

I keep forgetting that I'm surrounded by rational people on here which is why I made a big deal about the cake. I mean, I'm not worried about it, but I was totally worried about the impression it made. Thank you so much, Elastigirl for reminding me that moderation is part of this living thing and to insanity as well for the added emphasis. 

Side Quest of the Day: embrace the tortoise.

• Like 4

You know I have always wanted to learn ballroom dancing.  It looks amazingly fun.  Me + heels = trip to the ER ...my daughter loves to point out heels and comment how mom in these means a good night at the ER.  She so has my sense of humor.

So many fantastic things in your post.  Awesome celebration and congratulations to your hubby.  Not falling back on excuses and getting it done also quite epic!  Doing a mile unexpectedly is just icing at this point.

Pushing is great but make sure you have the habit established.  By weeks 3 & 4 you see struggle by many because change can be hard when establishing new habits.  

Watch you go!  This is going to be a fun challenge to follow!

• Like 1

Darn it...double post!

So you ate cake.  Everyone I have seen here has stepped back.  I think cake (and I love cake!) has a time and place.  You ate a smaller piece than usual and worked on being sane with celebrating which is great.  So what if you had ate the entire cake.  Get up, learn from it, let it go, and press on with what you learn.  Failure is part of it.  No one will judge you unworthy because you had a struggle and did a face plant in cake (that would be fun I have to admit).  Good golly you should have seen me stress over a pot luck at work around the holidays.  I had so much angst and posted about it so much.  As a result I went to it, had fun, and greatly appreciated all the advice I had received.

• Like 2

The celebration was DEFINITELY more moderate than our usual food adventures. It's a wee cake as it is; I doubt it's more than 6 inches in diameter. Especially with the holidays coming up, there are going to be appropriate times and amounts for treats. The important thing is to keep junk food a treat and not a habit.

• Like 1

You had me at sustainable. :D

(on agreeing with Elastigirl)

Fair enough--in that case, I'll just stay with the modified exercise quest (as that will get me active at least once a day for an hour) and I'll just track progress on my cardio. You guys have been around here long enough that you've seen what does and doesn't work and I'll trust your judgement. 

I keep forgetting that I'm surrounded by rational people on here which is why I made a big deal about the cake. I mean, I'm not worried about it, but I was totally worried about the impression it made. Thank you so much, Elastigirl for reminding me that moderation is part of this living thing and to insanity as well for the added emphasis. 

Side Quest of the Day: embrace the tortoise.

There's nothing wrong with either falling off the wagon, or even a quick hop off to pick some cake off the nearby cake tree. Just be sure to hop back on.. :-)

• Like 2

There's nothing wrong with either falling off the wagon, or even a quick hop off to pick some cake off the nearby cake tree. Just be sure to hop back on.. :-)

THERE ARE CAKE TREES? O.O

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Today was not one of my best days ever. I got about 3 hours of sleep, couldn't get back to it, and thus spent much of the day making up that sleep. I did minimal housework followed by a festive movie marathon, and woke up with a start. My phone was going off and my husband was on his way home from work. He could tell by my "hello" that dinner wasn't started, the laundry wasn't folded, and I didn't print out a return slip he needed. 

"Do you want me to just pick something up on the way home?"

I now feel all the loves

b128dc86c8f832515fadcda54474c9a0.jpg

Ben just knew that today hadn't gone well, and wanted to do what he could to help me out--but that's when Pride took over. Dinner was going to get done, even if everything else went south. When he got home, I was cooking a disaster. The balsamic vinegar for caprese splashed everywhere but on the food, I almost burned the pasta, and one of the stove burners started smoking due to something I hadn't noticed was stuck to the bottom of the pot. Pair that with general clumsiness and you get a distressed Koaladle. By the time food was on the table, it was just a relief everything was edible. HH gently teased me about my cooking (I won his affection with my cooking, but I went through a period where I consistently ruined pots of rice), and I just powered off, too discouraged to respond. HH suggested I try to take it easy for the rest of the night, but I was committed to grabbing my shoes and showing up to the gym. I wasn't necessarily going to have the bomb workout I did yesterday, but getting out the door is the hardest part for me; often I'll find the motivation once I get there. I took Heimdall out, and checked to see how much time I had before HH needed help; he's putting together an Obutto gaming cockpit, and I knew he was going to need me to help mount the monitors and move our furniture. 

flightSIM.jpg

This is pretty similar to his ideal setup, but it is missing the cupholder.

He needed me in a few minutes, so my plan of at least walking to the gym was thrashed. In a monumental effort that tested our marriage, everything has been rearranged and the cockpit is put together. He's still plugging in his computer, but with any luck he'll be done within the hour. Meanwhile I'm totally done for and going to go to bed as soon as he's done. Quest-wise, today was a disaster: water consumption was minimal, my vegetation came solely from the caprese, and other than aerobic arguing I got no activity in.. Rather than going to crank out some activity today, I'm just going to go to bed early (we're east coasters running on a west coast schedule) and start over in the morning.

It's a good thing today's side quest was to embrace the tortoise, or else I would be an anxious wreck about letting you down. I need to accept that life happens (like gaming cockpits, if you're lucky) and that a mess today does not determine the outcome of tomorrow. Step one to tomorrow's success: get good sleep tonight.

Happy Halloween!

(even though it's technically All Saints' Day at the moment)

(Also, Happy All Saints' Day)

• Like 3

Operating on three hours sleep always makes me a wreck, let alone trying to cook or exercise! Seems like you have the right attitude though - everyone has bad days. Get some good sleep, wake up fresh tomorrow and kick arse then :)

Happy All Saints Day/American Spooky Day ;)

• Like 2

What a day!  Aerobic arguing...that made me chuckle. 

Life happens and when you are already having a stressed moment can make it hard to not trip a bit.  Hopefully sleep helps and you can put the smack down on today.  Shake it off, do not let it become a habit or I will poke you, and get on with it today.

Worst meal I cooked when I was a newly wed....over cooked soggy rice topped with what I called a chicken gravy made from those little dried cubes, water, and way too much flour.  When I dropped the "gravy stuff" on my husbands pile of rice it sent the squishy rice flying and held its shape.  So gross.  He choked it down while I got up to make myself a hot dog.  I can make anything now and make my own recipes too however my husband has come in on my cussing and/or crying more than once in the kitchen.   ;)  I have even thrown a spatula or three.  Not pan swinging yet but that cast iron is heave that we use to cook with however as I get stronger I may try to start swinging it around.

What time does the gym open?  Do you still have to stay with Heimdall all the time right now or can you slip out before the hubby gets home?  For me it means fewer distractions even though he has pushed me out the door for a run and my sanity.  Do you have some dumbbells you can use at home in a pinch?  I know when I start the day out with a workout it makes it easier to keep that momentum/motivation strong.  If he gets that amazing looking chair you should be able to get an exercise bike or treadmill for home when again you can not get out.  I know the goal is getting out but time or weather or life can make taking that time hard.  Just one more way to remove excuses.

• Like 1

Operating on three hours sleep always makes me a wreck, let alone trying to cook or exercise! Seems like you have the right attitude though - everyone has bad days. Get some good sleep, wake up fresh tomorrow and kick arse then :)

Happy All Saints Day/American Spooky Day ;)

So far, today has been the polar opposite of yesterday. With the exception of a few dog issues, I'm already ahead considering spawn point alone: I got eight hours of sleep, HH had coffee brewed when I woke up, and we had breakfast in bed (he cooked while I sipped the sweet nectar of the coffee bean). Plus, HH spent much of the morning making the cables look organized for me--it sounds like a little thing, but it makes the room look so tidy! In return, I plan to put a clutter box near his computer. That, dear friends, is how to reconcile the cohabitation of people who are messy with people who are tidy.

Point being: this morning is what romantic 80s montages are made of.

Life happens and when you are already having a stressed moment can make it hard to not trip a bit.  Hopefully sleep helps and you can put the smack down on today.  Shake it off, do not let it become a habit or I will poke you, and get on with it today.

Worst meal I cooked when I was a newly wed....over cooked soggy rice topped with what I called a chicken gravy made from those little dried cubes, water, and way too much flour.  When I dropped the "gravy stuff" on my husbands pile of rice it sent the squishy rice flying and held its shape.  So gross.  He choked it down while I got up to make myself a hot dog.  I can make anything now and make my own recipes too however my husband has come in on my cussing and/or crying more than once in the kitchen.   ;)  I have even thrown a spatula or three.  Not pan swinging yet but that cast iron is heave that we use to cook with however as I get stronger I may try to start swinging it around.

What time does the gym open?  Do you still have to stay with Heimdall all the time right now or can you slip out before the hubby gets home?  For me it means fewer distractions even though he has pushed me out the door for a run and my sanity.  Do you have some dumbbells you can use at home in a pinch?  I know when I start the day out with a workout it makes it easier to keep that momentum/motivation strong.  If he gets that amazing looking chair you should be able to get an exercise bike or treadmill for home when again you can not get out.  I know the goal is getting out but time or weather or life can make taking that time hard.  Just one more way to remove excuses.

Day two of the routine I'm using is something I can do inside while keeping an eye on the dog, so I pinky swear pokes will not be necessary. To ensure this, I'll play "Shake it Off" on repeat until I get in gear, which is only painful because I have to repeatedly listen to that weird talking break Ms. Swift does right in the middle of what is otherwise the paramount of catchy pop songs.

That sounds AWFUL. XD Should you start swinging the cast iron around, I will saturate all our communications with "Tangled" references until you cease!

The gym is open 24/7. Heimdall has a re-occurrence of hives, so I will need to stick around here while he's drugged up. He woke us up this morning because he knew the Magic Cheese would help with the itchies, poor guy. After dinner. I can slip out to the gym with no issue. HH games for a few hours to wind down, and he is happy to watch the dog. Mornings are less reliable for setting up a routine to go out, as we both try to sleep in until the last minute. My equipment includes a yoga mat and adjustable dumbbell handle. The actual weights got lost in the move, but I was authorized to replace them as of last night. Pretty soon, the only thing I'll need to leave the dog for is the cardio in the evening. Until then, bodyweight exercises should do just fine.

I think my best success for a daily routine would be to wake up, eat, get Ben out the door, take the dog out, clean the kitchen, make the bed, and then do the strength part of the workout. I'm one of those people who has a terrible time functioning until everything is put away, so I can do a quick tidy up and get to it. By the time I'm done with part one of the workout, it's time to make lunch for Ben and I'll need to eat anyway. The rest of the day can be dedicated to chores; once the Bearded One comes home, I feed him, take the dog out, and get the rest of the evening for the gym.

Not only will I get a move on in the morning, but it will give me a chance to rest up for the cardio; better yet, I'll have two slots in the day with a scheduled activity. If one fails because life, I have a second chance to get it together. I work really well with lists, so having an order of Housewifely Duties will not only solidify a routine but keep me on track. I'll let you know how it goes at the end of today.

By the way, I am really glad I started this challenge early; it's given a chance to identify the weak spots and figure out how to fortify them.

Ahhh good ole sleep, the ultimate reset button. I do the early nights thing myself when I've had a bad day.

When I don't sleep well, I nap during the day and get nothing done. Getting nothing done makes me disappointed in myself, which leads to that epic downhill spiral we observed yesterday. One good thing to come from the Cockpit Conundrum is that Ben will be gaming in our room. I can hang out with him while he games, pass out reading with Heimdall, and end up going to bed earlier on a consistent basis. With the computer in the living room, I ended up falling asleep in HH's grandpa recliner and would have trouble passing out again once transported to bed. This is essentially the setup we had in our last apartment when Ben gamed until 03 and I was up at 05; I have high hopes.

• Like 2

Ok, let me just say: Holy shit! I'm too inspired by too many things in this thread to really be able to comment on them all. Instead I'm just gonna to go do some crunches before bed, and prepare for the awesomesauce that is going to be these 6 weeks.

(Ps. In my head, you're husbands full name is Handsome Husband. I hope I never meet him, or that might turn out slightly awkward. Ds.)

• Like 3

Ok, let me just say: Holy shit! I'm too inspired by too many things in this thread to really be able to comment on them all. Instead I'm just gonna to go do some crunches before bed, and prepare for the awesomesauce that is going to be these 6 weeks.

(Ps. In my head, you're husbands full name is Handsome Husband. I hope I never meet him, or that might turn out slightly awkward. Ds.)

Because I am made of cuddly marshmallows, I actually teared up that I inspired you. I send you hugs! PLEASE TAKE MY HUGS! I agree that this six weeks is going to be awesome. :D I am pumped! So pumped! I am "purchased Mystery Produce at the grocery store" pumped! FRAGMENTED SENTENCES PUMPED!

HH is very used to this moniker and has a good sense of humor; contrary to your wish, I hope we DO meet (camp? I wanna do camp. Let's do camp!) so I can see that go down. No matter who you are, he'll probably hold your hand and drag you along for skipping. 

Woah, it's all going in in this thread! Have a good challenge.

Thank you! I got lucky with the folks who took an interest in my quest. :-)

• Like 1