• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Koaladle

You Encounter a Hippie Koaladle!

One time, I tried to like brussels sprouts.  I HATE them, but people keep raving about how good they are when they're roasted so I did... BLECH! I gagged, I teared up, I chewed slowly and choked one bite down.  THEN, I somehow thought that sriracha would make it better--because who doesn't like a little hot sauce??  NOPE! OMG. The gagging intensified and then turned into spitting, coughing, and nearly throwing up.  I hate Brussels Sprouts and there's nothing I can do to change it.  Best to know your veggie strengths and weaknesses, I say :)

You're so not alone on this one. I have tried so hard to like brussels sprouts. The only mildly edible way is in bacon fat w/ onions, sauteed. And it has to be a LOT of bacon. I gave up after I smelled up the whole kitchen with steamed sprouts and didn't want to exist in my house anymore.

• Like 1

"why steamed sprouts smell like pee" was the search that lead me to this site a couple weeks ago. I get the hate of brassica from my mom, who sympathized with my adolescent struggle: the only veggies regularly eaten while I was in high school were (always steamed) brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. My dad and stepmom love them, and I got a lot of crap about "not eating my veggies". Here I am, eating at least two veggies a day and liking it because there IS A WHOLE WORLD OF VEGGIES OUT THERE with a multitude of ways to prepare them. Steamed veggies? Nope. We're red-blooded Americans and we roast in this house!

I'm free from fecal veg forever

freedom.gif

I imagine you're commenting on the quick escalation. There's a lot of frustration when it comes to those folks.

I'm going to use this unexpected anger to fuel my quests!

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_4ad5zhgqn4qo

• Like 3

Monkey bars are a suitable substitute.  :)

First time I tried spag squash it was horrible.  Turns out I did not roast it long enough.  After roasting it longer I loved it.  I like it best with some salt free italian seasoning and sun dried tomatoes.  Once in a while a bit of feta or parmessan cheese added to the mix and I am a very happy gal.  Depends on the sauce for me but yeah it is not pasta.  When I want pasta well spag squash will not due.

• Like 1

I'd would say that I dropped the ball, but I don't think I even really went for it.

Apparently this happened recently
wainwright-molina-world-series-fail-2.gi

I could use a kick square in the pants right now, and would greatly appreciate your assistance.

I didn't sleep well at all last night. I fell asleep late, work up incredibly early, and it took hours before I could get to sleep again. Despite that, I had a really nice day that included things like naps, puppy cuddles, Netflix, and pomleo consumption. I didn't, however, eat a second veggie, finish my third liter of water, or do the cardio half of my activity today. I got about as close as whisking eggs for avgolemono, and stirring the soup to ensure the eggs didn't curdle; and I did manage to make excellent progress on the laundry, but as far as working out went, it was a bust. 

This should hang above the easy chair
cuddles.jpg?resize=500%2C648

This is the first day that I haven't achieved the top notch goal of any of my quests; considering two of them can quite easily occur on my butt, I'm very disappointed in myself. Not even the gradual munching on a pomelo (like a grapefruit with less death flavor plus occasional sweetness) seems to redeem my efforts in my eyes. I thus implore you, if you have the time, to kick me right in the bum. My break in activity, though necessary and well meant, has stopped the momentum I had going; though eventually destructive, it was getting me mindfully considering my choices throughout the day and I'm sorry to have lost it.

I want to give myself a second chance at today, so my special quest for the morning is to accomplish all three quests by the end of lunch. This means waking up, eating breakfast (I can get a veggie in by eating a baby bell pepper), taking the dog on a long walk with my Camelbak in tow (activity and water; and if it rains I'll just go up and down the stairs of my building, lucky me), coming home, and eating lunch (my second veggie). In the evening, I can get two more veggies  in at dinner, some weight training once the dishes are done, and hopefully get some more water fit in somewhere. I'm going to try to at least get to 2.5 liters before nodding off, so adding a half liter tomorrow doesn't mean I'm in the bathroom 42 times tomorrow.

Anyway, I need some brutal feedback. I was doing so well and it fell apart; this may be the pendulum swing from overdoing it, but I need to stop the movement before I just fall into old habits again.

And now, to bed! If anything will thwart my efforts, it will be a lack of sleep.

BUT FIRST!

Yay! How's it going with your hubby and his obutto and circulation management?  

Excellent, thank you for asking. :-)

AND NOW.

TO BED.

• Like 1

First I think you are doing good enough at kicking your own butt.  Some could be a result of all that you are doing.  Remember progress is what should be aimed for.  Of course aiming for perfect will help you hit progress but look at all your progress.  What is the real reason why you decided to drop the ball?  Only you can answer.  Sometimes the reason is not what you want to think.  Success is scary.  Other times we just want the mental break from working so hard.  Again you have to ask yourself why.  Change/breaking old habits is hard, takes time, and effort.

So no excuse for two days in a row.  Little gems are all over the NF blog as you know.  Read the link if you have not.  Kill it today, shake it off, and get it done.

Of course you can always walk around your apartment doing butt kicks thus truly kicking yourself in the butt when Master Shifu is not around.

panda-butt-kick.jpg

• Like 1

(Words I never thought would come out of my mouth/keyboard:)

Come on, Koaladle, what would a Disney Princess do?

Sing about it and still do it?

PLeasse koadle sing about it :D

• Like 2

GO KOALADLE! I agree with awesomesue that you're probably kicking your own butt just fine. I think many would say it's best to let yesterday go and just start over today. That's very nice and zen, but I'm a little bit Type-A so I kinda love your 'mini-quest' to make it up. But remember that one day off is never a big deal and today you're totally on track (whether you get the weight-training in tonight or not). I think you can handle the veggies though, for sure.

We've all come pretty far this week, right? Despite the occasional lapse? I can't believe it's been 7 whole days already!

And now I need to think about going for a jog at some point instead of watching football all day.... (sigh)

• Like 3

Well now, it's win win in that case. I get to help my shoulder move right, and you get to sing.

1) +3 Evade

2) I replied to this in the original update post, but I guess I didn't think of it the 5th time around. I lack a suitable tree due to the complex doing seasonal landscape maintenance and the rest of the everything is a palm (read: death if attempted), but will you agree to monkey bars? I'm sure there's a park or something nearby that'll work.

I have thrown down the gauntlet since you two have not gotten it done...

men-in-tights-gauntlet-slap.gif

I ran a trail today.  Lapped it for 4 miles.  I had music and sang for a mile.  I came across 4 people.  I was nervous/scared outright but I kept going.  I was singing to Talking Heads and ABBA so they sounded atrocious.  I was so happy to finally turn off my music and just focus on the run admittedly.  So now you two need to get some hang time done.  

• Like 1

(Words I never thought would come out of my mouth/keyboard:)

Come on, Koaladle, what would a Disney Princess do?

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW? Let's go in order. Every single one.

SNOW WHITE, 1938: She'd get over it, With a Smile and a Song.

CINDERELLA, 1950: She would see the obstacle and achieve the dream (which is a wish her heart made) before midnight.

AURORA, 1959: She would take a nap, and dance with someone once upon a dream.

ARIEL, 1989: She would look at the gym go-ers and want to be part of that world. Then she would grow legs and unleash an epic battle of the sea, nearly killing everyone she loves. Teenagers.

BELLE, 1991: She would go nuts in her workout, and Traitor Brain would try to kill the beast mode. That's when beast mode would DESTROY TRAITOR BRAIN FOREVER!

JASMINE, 1992: She would get out of the palace and find a whole new world of things to climb.

POCAHANTAS, 1995: She would get out and set goals, like "keep paddling until I'm just around the river bend".

MULAN, 1998: She would get down to business.

tumblr_inline_mmjxe4pGXn1qz4rgp.gif

TIANA, 2009: She's a marathoner; she keeps running because she's almost there.

RAPUNZEL, 2010: She would stop being in denial and see the light.

MERIDA, 2012: She would change her fate and touch the sky.

ELSA AND ANNA: They would rethink their musical numbers. >.>

• Like 5

I ran a trail today.  Lapped it for 4 miles.  I had music and sang for a mile.  I came across 4 people.  I was nervous/scared outright but I kept going.  I was singing to Talking Heads and ABBA so they sounded atrocious.  I was so happy to finally turn off my music and just focus on the run admittedly.  So now you two need to get some hang time done.  

It's raining here, and seeing as we're in the same city I think we get a pass until the sun comes out again. :-) If I hang on anything in my apartment, I'm liable to be paying damages.

Sing about it and still do it?

PLeasse koadle sing about it :D

Oh man, the post I wrote about Cardioke got deleted! I'll have to do that again sometime and write all about it. Cardioke is magical.

• Like 2

UPDATE!

I did my quests (and the insane side quest) to the very best of my ability, and I am now satisfied with the outcome. I got my breakfast in (monsupee quest) and since it was raining, took Heimdall for a walk up and down the stairs. The way I worked the circuits up and down the stairs was doing a zig-zag pattern: up 20 stairs, over to the other side, up 20 stairs, over, down the stairs, etc). I was halfway through "Little Sheba" before I even thought about counting how many I did, so I don't have an accurate count. Lessons learned! Heimdall is a trooper, but when we hit the 12 minute mark (as measured by "Shelter from the Storm" Ed Roland and the Sweet Tea Project, "Little Sheba" .38 Special, and "Consequence Free" Great Big Sea) my buddy was giving me that look that he was over it. Since we're expecting thunderstorms all week, I decided to stay with him at home lest I come back and see he's eaten the door jam again.

Too accurate for unattended Heimdall.

tss_1399632016_2.jpg

I got my second veggie in at lunch (avgolemono and Greek salad), and finished my water in record time. After my midday noms, I got my other veggies in (bell pepper and a carrot) and managed to drink one more liter of water before calling it quits on that front. I had tea for the rest of my fluids, and at some point also attempted floor exercises, which were interrupted enhanced by kisses from Heimdall; I was surely dying and the cure to my ailment was his saliva. -.- With that unproductive attempt, I just grabbed the 2.5 lb weights and held them while I danced around to The Garlics and pretended I could actually sing in Québécois (spoiler: it was as fun as it was disgraceful). 

Nosferatu has more than one reason to be repulsed

image001.gif

Also, I read the Hard Hat article awesomesue linked to me and printed out calendars for November and December. I get a different color star for each quest completed, and a Disney Princess sticker (because I have these things around the house) for a perfect score. It's hanging over the TV as a visual reminder of my goals, and those four days where something got dropped are motivating. I want all the stickers, guys. I want all the days to have stickers adorning them, trophies of excellence and change in my life--especially as it's about as public a spot as I have in the apartment. Thank you, awesomesue, for directing me yonder. :-)

Today, I look forward to day 3 of the 7 day schedule (weights and chores) so I'll be collecting coupons and researching the weekly sales, coming up with a meal plan based on things that are not full price. It doesn't sound like much, but it's time consuming and can be somewhat boring; the fun part is finding the recipes based on what we'll be getting this week. There will be one day I'm guaranteed not to cook! Wednesday is Veteran's Day, so we'll be going out to dinner someplace bound to be unhealthy. I don't plan on losing my mind and bathing in the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral, but I'm also not going to get ruffled up about where we end up going. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed, especially one so deeply personal in our family. 

But if I DO bathe in the chocolate fountain, I hope I look this good.

1352610975798135.png

• Like 2

(Also: the official edit to the challenge)

I HEREBY CHANGE EXERCISE QUEST TO BE MORE REALISTIC!

TO PREVENT INJURY, BURN OUT, ACCELERATED WEIGHT LOSS, AND OVERTRAINING, FITNESS QUEST WILL BE:

DAY 1: WEIGHTS

DAY 2: CARDIO

DAY 3: ACTIVE REST

DAY 4: WEIGHTS

DAY 5: CARDIO

DAY 6: ACTIVE REST

DAY 7: OPEN GYM (TO MAINTAIN PROGRESS OF ANXIETY MANAGEMENT)

NOTES:

-CARDIO IS DEFINED BY EXERCISE WHERE MY HEART RATE REACHES 165 OR HIGHER

-WEIGHTS ARE TO INCLUDE BOTH FREE WEIGHT AND BODY WEIGHT EXERCISES, DEPENDING ON STRENGTH LEVEL; BBWW UNTIL 4 CIRCUITS CAN BE COMPLETED

-ACTIVE REST INCLUDES GENTLE ACTIVITIES; WALKING, YOGA, DANCING SPASMODICALLY, AND HOUSEWORK

-DAY 6 AND 7 ARE INTERCHANGEABLE TO PROVIDE FLEXIBILITY FOR WEEKEND PLANS. THIS PLAN IS MADE TO PROVIDE REST DAYS FOR CARDIO AND WEIGHTS, TO ALLOW FOR UNINTERRUPTED HOUSEWIFING, AND TO BE A SUSTAINABLE LIFE CHANGE.

-THIS PLAN WILL BE POSTED NEXT TO THE ACHIEVEMENT CALENDARS ABOVE THE TV

paw-prints-clipart-koala.gif

Koaladle

• Like 2

Just getting back to the forums, this weekend was rather busy. Didn't do any hanging, though my shoulder kills from the workout I did, so that's gotta count for something. Today is looking to be really busy, might not even make it to the gym, but I'm attempting to sell my truck so it's worth it. I'll have to see what I can do....

• Like 2

That all sounds so awesome!  I want to bathe in a chocolate fountain like that too.  OOoooooooo so nice I bet.

HAHAHA... that bird looks like the visualization of pure bliss.

• Like 2

That all sounds so awesome!  I want to bathe in a chocolate fountain like that too.  OOoooooooo so nice I bet.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass, must be like the bird!

Just getting back to the forums, this weekend was rather busy. Didn't do any hanging, though my shoulder kills from the workout I did, so that's gotta count for something. Today is looking to be really busy, might not even make it to the gym, but I'm attempting to sell my truck so it's worth it. I'll have to see what I can do....

Curse you for having a life! BEGONE, LIFE HAVER! Justkiddingcomebacknowplz.

HAHAHA... that bird looks like the visualization of pure bliss.

It is one of my all-time favorite animal pictures.

• Like 1

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass, must be like the bird!

Curse you for having a life! BEGONE, LIFE HAVER! Justkiddingcomebacknowplz.

It is one of my all-time favorite animal pictures.

I'm at work... so I'm back.

• Like 1

I finally got around to reading other people's posts and it's so much fun! I love your writing style btw. You're a good story teller. I live in the city and have been stuck in the same situation of having to walk home with a crazy amount of groceries. I recommend if you choose to go grocery shopping by foot a) do it more often so you don't have as much to carry and B) don't use a cart, use a basket. If the basket is too heavy in the store, you can imagine what it would be like to carry all the way home. I used to go 2-3 times a week! These days i'm lazier and own a car. The car is the best and worst thing to ever happen to me.

Way to go on your progress and despite the mosquito bites I bet Heimdall is loving the extended walks! Keep it up!

• Like 1

I finally got around to reading other people's posts and it's so much fun! I love your writing style btw. You're a good story teller. I live in the city and have been stuck in the same situation of having to walk home with a crazy amount of groceries. I recommend if you choose to go grocery shopping by foot a) do it more often so you don't have as much to carry and B) don't use a cart, use a basket. If the basket is too heavy in the store, you can imagine what it would be like to carry all the way home. I used to go 2-3 times a week! These days i'm lazier and own a car. The car is the best and worst thing to ever happen to me.

Way to go on your progress and despite the mosquito bites I bet Heimdall is loving the extended walks! Keep it up!

The grocery walk was just the once, as Heimdall had to be closely monitored while he was on meds. As it turns out, he's allergic to the mosquito bites so the long walks I'd originally envisioned have been discouraged by the vet until it's officially cold out. He's only just recently had his energy back, poor thing, so yesterday was his first long(ish) walk. It conked him out; he slept for a few hours after that. I definitely learned my lesson about groceries, though, but this week there's a Veteran's Day sale, and Vets get 10% off their bill. Time to load up the pantry and thus I won't be walking! :-) Maybe next week, though, if it gets sunny again.