Sleep

Okay, so last challenge I got a job, which is extremely exciting. It has also influenced me to mess up the streak of good sleep I was getting. This challenge I want to lock that down again. I've got the same bed time in mind, 11 PM, and I don't plan on changing when I wake up either, 6 AM. Of course, morning shifts will require getting up earlier, but normally that won't need to be adjusted.

Food

There's always room for improvement with my diet, so i'm going to continue to strive for reducing the amount of sweets and junk that I eat. Indulging once or twice in a week isn't anything to freak out about, as long as I remain consistent with the rest of my eating. I'm not focusing on building muscle anymore, so i'm going to simply not stuff myself. Just a few minutes ago my mother asked if I wanted anything from Greek Style Chicken, to which I responded, "No, thanks!" That's a pretty good start. :D

Aam Ka Jutsu (Americanized Karate)

I'm going to continue my 20,000 kick goal from last challenge. That's 10,000 side-kicks each side. The challenge is influenced by the Bruce Lee quote in my signature, I decided to take it literally. I just broke 6k I believe, which is cool. I feel that my kicks are improving, and i've got plenty of time to work on them!

I'm still going to try to fit in martial arts work, even if it's only 15 minutes 5 days a week.

Coding For the Future

Getting a retail job is great. It means that I can have a bit of money coming in, and hopefully get enough to pay for another semester at community college before transferring. I need to also work on the long term goal, which is to find a position as a software engineer. Most of my skill is in web development, and i'm trying to make myself a strong full-stack developer. So, i'll be looking for positions that require knowledge of things like WordPress, PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, Grunt/PHPUnit/QUnit, CSS, etc.

Currently, I have several projects that I can devote my time to, which will help me show that I know what i'm doing. Yesterday, I spent some time working on my main project, a WordPress plugin. In addition to progressing in the process of refactoring one of the main systems. I also handed over my Grunt (automation program) scripts to my teammates, so that we can make testing a little bit faster. Currently the script only utilizes syntax checking, but I plan to extend it to handle tests for our various features. There's a lot of work to do before that happens, so i'm going to continue to devote time to that. I have two iOS apps that I want to work on, one by myself and the other with a friend. I also have one or two posts that i'd like to write for my personal blog. They'd be on the topics of proper user security and form validation, and why I decided to integrate automation into a large, already existing, project.

The post on form validation and user security will be used to offer constructive criticism of web sites and companies that put limits on users' ability to create strong usernames, passwords, etc. For example, some sites limit passwords to 8 characters that are alpha-numeric only. That's something i'd like to address, without pointing names or calling fingers.

Chilling

I'd also like to continue the goal to talk to a friend every week. It's not my strong suit, but i'm working on it. :D

In the interest of staying sane, i'd also like to plan to make some time for playing a game for an hour or so every week. If it doesn't happen, that's alright, I have to prioritize. However, if i've got everything that needs to be done out of the way, I should give myself a little bit of game time. This isn't something i'm going to track, i'm just putting it here as a side note.

------

Thank you for reading this far. Have some programming humor:

le-programming-640x1221.png

Hail Hydrate!

• Like 3

A really solid challenge here, very relatable. It ain't a gig, but shaarawy has website creation as a goal and she mentioned Wordpress. Might be relevant to your interests? Either way, following!

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

I'm feeling you on the dev stuff.  I'm in a whole new exciting and painful world of dev ops trying to get jenkins, docker and .net to cooperate.

I am now starting to miss being able to draw boxes on a white board and telling my crack grad team to get to it.  But actually being able to build stuff again is fun.

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

A really solid challenge here, very relatable. It ain't a gig, but shaarawy has website creation as a goal and she mentioned Wordpress. Might be relevant to your interests? Either way, following!

Thanks for sending me over there, i'm following along now. Maybe i'll get a chance to test my knowledge. :D

I'm feeling you on the dev stuff.  I'm in a whole new exciting and painful world of dev ops trying to get jenkins, docker and .net to cooperate.

I am now starting to miss being able to draw boxes on a white board and telling my crack grad team to get to it.  But actually being able to build stuff again is fun.

Ooo, dev ops, yeah it always sounds scary when reading job positions for a dev ops team. I'm not quite sure what it entails though. I know what .NET is at least!

• Like 1

So... you're saying you can't hack Russia? That's what you're saying?

Have you tried typing faster, more hunched over the keyboard? Works like a charm for Hollywood...

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Ooo, dev ops, yeah it always sounds scary when reading job positions for a dev ops team. I'm not quite sure what it entails though. I know what .NET is at least!

Dev ops is basically high paid hipster wizardry right now.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

I'm not saying that I can't, just that it'll take a long time, and will be very painful.

Ah. In the Russian way, then: slowly and steadily, and with the shedding of much blood. :P

also, seriously, dude, how are you typing that it makes you bleed, like, wtf, man, seriously, slow it down.

• Like 1

Ah. In the Russian way, then: slowly and steadily, and with the shedding of much blood. :tongue:

also, seriously, dude, how are you typing that it makes you bleed, like, wtf, man, seriously, slow it down.

What about the keyboard though, i'd imagine it wouldn't work at that point. Of course, I have a mechanical keyboard, so it's fairly sturdy. I'm not going to test it out.

------

In the last four days i've done some work on my main project and one of the iOS projects that I wanted to finish. I've 3/4ths of the leveling system redone, of course I don't know what my boss will want to change, so that ratio might be off. And I finished (sort of, it isn't App Store worthy) the ambient noise generator app (really, really, really similar to A Soft Murmur), because I didn't want to wait any longer for the guy to make one of his own. It's been roughly two years since he said he'd make an iOS version, I think. It's just for me, so I used the same sound files that he used. XCode 7.1 made it really easy to get it on my phone without having to get a silly developer license.

So is the ambient noise generator a sleep-related thing, like a white noise generator? Or is it something else?

It's not a white noise generator, but I enjoy listening to it while coding or working on homework. It's much more convenient to have it on my phone when I don't have access to my computer or WiFi.

• Like 1

I've had a headache for the past four days, but I think it's just about done. The younger siblings have gotten sick, so it's only a matter of time before it gets me too.

There were 5 pieces of chicken left and some savage ate all of them at once, so I gave up on avoiding eating out on Sunday. "Someone tore them up into really small pieces." Hmm, I wonder why...

That aside, this is going to be a good challenge. I can feel it. :D

11/2:

Food:

• Breakfast: peanut butter toast and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: 2 cups of grapes
  • Lunch: chicken sandwich (Ezekiel bread), with roasted tomato, sautéed onion, spinach, and one chili pickle, and 4 tbsp. of peanut butter
  • Dinner: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter

Workout:

20 tricep pushups (on knees), 20 bodyweight squats; bokken work: 100 strikes and foot-work; 120 kicks each side

Sleep:

10:54 PM

Extras:

- talked to a friend

------

Planning on getting some coding time in on Thursday or on the weekend.

• Like 1

Extras:

- talked to a friend

I did judo and lifting with a friend at the weekend.  Mutual benefit ^_^

But I got laughed at for not picking up the social cue for going out to get something to eat afterwards.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

I did judo and lifting with a friend at the weekend.  Mutual benefit ^_^

But I got laughed at for not picking up the social cue for going out to get something to eat afterwards.

Good for you! I'm not the best with social clues (especially with the ladies), but thankfully i've got friends that know that. No biggy!

------

3rd:

Food:
  • Snack: 4 small (1 in^2) peanut butter brownies, 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, and a cup of coffee
  • Lunch: two homemade beef tacos on gluten-free tortillas with tomato, sauteed onion, and plenty of spinach
  • Snack: 2 tbsp. of peanut butter
  • Dinner: 3 cups of potato chowder
Yes, I did try dipping the brownies in my coffee (that's why I ate them), they tasted alright. I had to know!

Workout:

10 mins of bag work: backfists, combos, etc.; 120 kicks each side.

Spinning backfists are fun too, except I can only do so many before I get dizzy.

Sleep:

12:34 AM

Heh...uh...yeah...I stayed up because I didn't realize that I had some Chem HW to do still. All good, normal bedtime tonight. :D

Extras:

- talked to my friend again. While i'm working on kicks, he has been working on doing the splits. Ain't that cool?

Oh yeah, and about a week ago, my right knee started popping. With every kick it pops when I start the kick and when I put my foot down. It's not painful, but it's just a bit weird. :tongue:

I should also mention that there isn't any unusual movement of the knee cap either, just the popping sound.

Oh yeah, and about a week ago, my right knee started popping. With every kick it pops when I start the kick and when I put my foot down. It's not painful, but it's just a bit weird. :tongue:

I should also mention that there isn't any unusual movement of the knee cap either, just the popping sound.

Get yourself on a foam roller and give your quads, hammies, calves and hips a good smashing.  Something is probably just a little tight and loosening it off with get rid of the popping.

• Like 2

"Gentle means tired."

4th:

Food:
  • Breakfast: peanut butter toast and a cup of coffee (1.5 shot, last of the bag)
  • Lunch: chicken sandwich (Ezekiel bread), with tomato, spinach, and one chili pickle
  • Snack: a tsp. of peanut butter
  • Dinner: chicken, rice, and broccoli
  • Snack: a cup of grapes, and 4 tbsp. of peanut butter

The pickles were pretty good.

Workout:

traded kicks, and worked on improving my control of hand-to-hand with instructor (much needed); about 165 kicks total.

Sleep:

11:11 PM

Whoops! I went a little over, however I was in the process of heading to bed. I was not on the computer still.

Extras: N/A

------

Get yourself on a foam roller and give your quads, hammies, calves and hips a good smashing.  Something is probably just a little tight and loosening it off with get rid of the popping.

Oh okay, i'll try that out. Thanks!

• Like 1
5th:

Food:

• Breakfast: peanut butter toast, 3 pieces of bacon and sausage, some scrambled eggs, and a cup of coffee
  • Snack: a cup of grapes
  • Lunch: beef & tomato, rice, and broccoli
  • Snack: 4 tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of milk
  • Dinner: beef & tomato, rice, and 2 tbsp. of peanut butter

Workout:

Spent a good amount of time massaging legs and hips. I used a small medicine ball instead of a foam roller. I have a lot of sensitive spots that I dug into with a racquetball. My knee still creaks, but my legs feel less tense.

Sleep:

11:00 PM

On time! :D

6th:

Food:
  • Lunch: beef & tomato, and rice, and 4 tbsp. of peanut butter
  • Dinner: beef & tomato, rice, and spinach
  • Snack: a handful of grapes, 1/2 cup of a mix of a oats and coconut with peanut butter chips

Workout:

worked on hand-to-hand control; did 10 mins of bag work, and 120 kicks each side.

Sleep:

11:00 PM

------

If you got a solid medicine ball, I've heard that can be a good way to get yourself straightened out. I don't know for sure, but if it helps, then all good.

No worries about the creaking. If it hurts, it'd be a problem, but if you're not hurting then good enough.

Not as solid as a foam roller, but it still did the job. I found a lot of knots in my legs.

Yeah, knee issues can be a sign of issues way up and downstream of the knee itself. Feeling better?

• Like 1