Sara Kingdom Does a Challenge

sarakingdom

I'm still thinking about this challenge, but I have had some thoughts.

1. A points challenge rather than a scheduled, routinized challenge.  Building better routines would be good for me, but I'm kind of tired of the pressure of things I need to think about and put on my list every day, so I'd rather get points for the things I do do for a few weeks.  (People who've done points challenges, some advice on how to make them work?)
  2. And/or make each week different by adding a fresh habit or challenge for that week.  Short ones, like five minutes of meditation every day, or five minutes of plank every day, so that by the end I've got six habits and 30-45 minutes of my day spent on 'em.  (I'm looking at Neila Rey's 5-minute plank workout as a way to start building a morning routine in small chunks.)
  3. And/or just do Neila Rey's 30 Days of Change for, er, 30 days (with some rowing substituted for some of the running, since I worry about knee issues from running impact), and see what I feel like after that, like restarting it or throwing together some more of her workouts.  Her workouts always look really interesting, but I'm never quite sure how to put them together, so there's a low-thought option.

But it'll basically be some variation on lots of sleep, some daily exercise, and try to hit some life challenges.

ETA: I'm sort of thinking one point per hour of sleep, 10 points for a workout - I think I want to do 30 Days of Change - and handfuls of points for hydration and meditation and so on.  I have a few life goals that need some massive point assignments, and some that need small point assignments.  Maybe a tiered point goal each week, like 140 points to level up the first week, 160 to level up the second, and so on.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I'm still thinking about this challenge, but I have had some thoughts.

1. A points challenge rather than a scheduled, routinized challenge.  Building better routines would be good for me, but I'm kind of tired of the pressure of things I need to think about and put on my list every day, so I'd rather get points for the things I do do for a few weeks.  (People who've done points challenges, some advice on how to make them work?)

I just finished up a points based challenge and loved it. I had a mix of easy/moderate/challenging ways to earn points. If some temporary life-altering event took place I added things to the list that fit the change. It kept me engaged without becoming obsessive. For my next challenge I'm trying to come up with a way to use points and goals together, so I can have the best of both worlds. Good luck!

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

I just finished up a points based challenge and loved it. I had a mix of easy/moderate/challenging ways to earn points. If some temporary life-altering event took place I added things to the list that fit the change. It kept me engaged without becoming obsessive. For my next challenge I'm trying to come up with a way to use points and goals together, so I can have the best of both worlds. Good luck!

Yeah, I think "engaged without becoming obsessive" is part of my goal.  I'm feeling a lot of pressure from the things on my daily list, and from tracking them, so I'd like to back off from the obligation and the tracking.  (Although, on the other hand, consistency is a big issue for me in general, and there's value in a "doing something daily" habit.  But sometimes you need to weigh whether the approach is really addressing the goal of getting good changes to happen or not.)  Being able to adapt my challenge to what's going on also seems to be a thing I should try more of.  I do sometimes just have bad weeks, whether for life reasons or for sleep reasons or for me reasons, and I need challenges that don't break when those things happen, and maybe that's "add the right responses to the current challenge to the list, and get points for the stuff I am doing".

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I did an hour of hiking in the woods today, with some SF audio dramas.  Not exciting exercise, but a respectable choice, theoretically mood-boosting outdoors green-space time, and the story was pretty good.  So yay with the good choices.  I'll try to get tomorrow's in earlier.

Got you on the follow back! I am interested in seeing what sorts of stuff you come up with for your challenge. I hear you about the bad days/weeks getting the better of you. I am similar, especially with eating. I guess the key is to not let that day/week derail things and to treat every day/hour/minute as its own thing. How to do that exactly? NO IDEA. 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I did a points-based challenge... two challenges ago, I think? I don't remember - I just remember is was Kobato-themed. Anyway. Those are great for breathers and to kind of re-center. 

Suggestions for how to make them work:

• Pick a daily OR weekly OR challenge point goal. Trying to do a mixture of them (or, lord forbid, all three) adds stress and ends with you scrambling to get points for one category when really you're good in another (at least, if you're me)
  • Have a good mixture of activities - some you do all the time (easy points) and some that are things you do on a semi-regular basis (moderate effort points) and some things that you want to work on that you keep putting off or have a hard time making the time for (hard points)
    • You can separate them out into different categories, too: mental health, training, food, socializing, etc

Hopefully that helps a little? idek

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

• Pick a daily OR weekly OR challenge point goal. Trying to do a mixture of them (or, lord forbid, all three) adds stress and ends with you scrambling to get points for one category when really you're good in another (at least, if you're me)
  • Have a good mixture of activities - some you do all the time (easy points) and some that are things you do on a semi-regular basis (moderate effort points) and some things that you want to work on that you keep putting off or have a hard time making the time for (hard points)

I do have a mix of activities.  I don't know what to do about points goals at all... I want something measurable and accountable, but not creating an external sense of stress.  I'm thinking a rising weekly goal, starting at easy and getting less so.  Or maybe an arbitrary set of rewards at things like 100, 250, 500, etc.

I do have a mix of activities.  I don't know what to do about points goals at all... I want something measurable and accountable, but not creating an external sense of stress.  I'm thinking a rising weekly goal, starting at easy and getting less so.  Or maybe an arbitrary set of rewards at things like 100, 250, 500, etc.

Well, first question is do you want all activities to have the same point value? That would make it less stressful - do something, get a point. Everything is the same, and points can stack (I ate fruit 6 times this week, therefore I get six points or something). 

As for the points goal... I think a rising weekly goal is good. You can add in rewards at milestones (week 3 and week 6, for example, or for every 50 points you get, etc).

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

I'm going to do some tests of a point system this week, to try and calibrate points and what I want them for.  (Well, not many, because Halloween is going to wipe out several days for me.)  Basically, I'm looking at small reinforcements for the small habits and larger incentives for the key things.

Fitness
+10 for a good workout
+5 for a partial or extra workout
+1 for each hour of sleep
+1 for remembering supplements
+1 for things like foam rolling or hydration, etc.

Stress Reduction
+1 for each 5 minutes of meditation
+1-5 for doing social time
+1 for a variety of stress reduction tactics, as needed

Life Goals
+1 for small adulting tasks
+1 for each completed item on my to-do list, or perhaps a productivity bonus for everything over 10 items
+5 for Nanowrimo (maybe, might give it a shot this year)
+20-50 for a range of important tasks that are on the list

4603656-tumblr_lwwf4hodhp1r8vtz9o1_500.g

Today so far:

Fitness Points

• +1 for making with the supplements
  • +8 for 8 hours of sleep
  • hiking TBA
  • +2 for 10 minutes of meditation
  • +3 meditation bonus for doing it when I needed it, and realizing I needed to do extra

Life Points

• +1 for adulting the bills
  • +1 for adulting the family obligations
  • +20 for a big task that's been lingering
  • +2 for turning around a stressful day
  • +3 (out of 5) for Halloween prep
  • +20 for another big adulting task I've been putting off
  • +7 bonus for completed tasks on my to-do list over 10

Total:  68 points

• Like 5

Love this idea! Might have to steal it for a future challenge, if keeping a decent bedtime becomes a problem once more.

Bedtime is super-hard for me, though I'm getting better.  But this challenge, it's just plain old hours of sleep.  That's the important thing to keep my eye on.

• Like 2

The best part about the sleep goal is that the less you do, the more you do. :D

Seems about right.  A really good night's sleep should be almost worth a good workout, and sleeping should be associated with a corresponding amount of reward. :)

• Like 1

I am such a crap sleeper. In my last challenge I tried to have a reasonable bedtime, but that failed. I have NEVER been a good sleeper so if you find any tips of tricks that work, let me know! 

I like the points based idea! Something to think about next time. Are you tracking them on a spreadsheet or something? Is there a minimum or average or are you just seeing how things play out? 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I am such a crap sleeper. In my last challenge I tried to have a reasonable bedtime, but that failed. I have NEVER been a good sleeper so if you find any tips of tricks that work, let me know! 

I like the points based idea! Something to think about next time. Are you tracking them on a spreadsheet or something? Is there a minimum or average or are you just seeing how things play out? 

Podcasts help me sleep.  I'm much more likely to drop off quickly if my brain is not running around in circles on its own.  Worst case, I'm resting quietly with some entertainment.

I haven't really decided with the points.  I do want to be accountable and track things, but I don't want to make it a source of pressure.  I worry that if I set a specific target, I'll do it by calculating what I would get if I had a goal routine, and the whole point of doing points is that I'm not making myself do a routine this time.  So I think what I might do is either give myself an arbitrary weekly goal that rises each week, or create a tiered reward system that kicks in every 100 or 150 points, so I'm really just competing against myself for prizes and not worrying about failing and awfulness.  (I mean, I don't usually worry about failing and awfulness, but I just need a lighter, more fun challenge this time around.)

The points system seems like a good way to do the challenge. I found that I was getting a bit stressed during my first challenge, wanting to complete everything and not fail. I may have to try this in a future challenge (can't be bothered figuring out how to apply the points system right now, so will stick to the old method for now). Will definitely follow to see how you get on and what ideas I can get from it, too.

All the best for your challenge! :)

Pumpkin Pi: Level 1 Night Elfling (respawned September 2019)

0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 CON | 0 WIS | 0 CHA

Challenges: Respawn: Current (16 Sep-20 Oct 2019) | Original: 2nd (2 Nov-14 Dec 2015), 1st (14 Sep-25 Oct 2015)

The points system seems like a good way to do the challenge. I found that I was getting a bit stressed during my first challenge, wanting to complete everything and not fail. I may have to try this in a future challenge (can't be bothered figuring out how to apply the points system right now, so will stick to the old method for now). Will definitely follow to see how you get on and what ideas I can get from it, too.

All the best for your challenge! :)

You too!

It's tough to find the right balance between good goal pressure and bad goal pressure, but I think it's good to work on the assumption that it's not going to be the same every challenge.  Some challenges, you'll need more and sometimes less, depending on what else is going on.

• Like 2

Challenge Test Day #2

Fitness Points

• +6 for 6 hours of sleep
  • +10 for exercise
  • +1 for 5 minutes of meditation
  • +1 remembered supplements

Life Points

• +1 for adulting the schedule
  • +20 for another big adulting task WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME I AM DOING ALL THE ADULTING
  • +5 for adulting a biggish thing
  • +5 bonus for how annoying it was to adult that thing ('kay, I know, but it was haaaard, and I'm trying to reward hard adulting)
  • +15 tasks over ten on the to-do list

Total: 64 points

I did not get in my hiking yesterday, and I'm sorry about that, because it was a beautiful day and I had precisely an hour of my audio drama left, reserved for that hike.  But I can't be too sorry, because I basically Tophed the to-do list.  Two 20-pointers.  (One of which has been on my to-do list for, no joke, a period of time that can be measured in years.)

tumblr_m7a5j1j8al1qzrlhgo1_500.gif

• Like 3

I find, in life and in general, that when you have the opportunity to be Toph about something, you should be Toph.

It's good life advice for everything except parenting.  But in general, yes, you should be Toph.

• Like 1

And I'll start one for tomorrow, even though, honestly, I will just be partyin' all day. It is the holiday of my people.

tumblr_m3za4ml5BT1rvzz8oo1_500.gif

Fitness Points:

• +10 for 10 hours of sleep (So freakin' tired. Also, stocking up for tonight.)
  • +1 remembered supplements
  • +1 5 minutes of meditation
  • absolutely no workout, unless movie marathons count
Life Points:
  • +5 social points
Total: 17 points

Well, that's lowering expectations sufficiently, I think. I was going have trouble keeping pace with the past two days.

• Like 1

Points target acquired: Box 1 of the latest Doctor Who season is coming out right after the challenge starts, and Box 2 will probably be out by the end of the challenge.  Not sure yet whether I'll go for 100 points = $1 towards the purchase price, or if that's going to be too slow.