'BoutThatActionBoss - Finish with a Flourish '15

Waddup Monks! I am a former Ranger who decided to switch it up, mostly because I am taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am looking for some support with that and to help support others on their journeys. 

A bit about me: I am a 37 year old male who has been into fitness and exercise my whole life. Mostly either team sports or distance running, though surfing is my favorite (although I am stuck in Boston..,not great waves). The martial arts are a new thing for me. 

Since I hit my mid-30s, however, I have been having a hard time with food and nutrition. I am way too heavy for my frame and would like to drop 20 pounds eventually (I'm 5'7, currently 185.8 lbs). I also have tons of stomach problems so I HAVE to be careful about what I eat going forward. Plus my cholesterol is a bit high, so I need to get ahead of that. 

This is my third challenge and am ready to step it up. The last two haven't been overwhelming successes, but I feel like I have learned enough from them to build toward something special with try number three. It's not about if you fail, but how you respond to that failure, right? Or something like that?!? 

MAIN QUEST 1

My main quest is to lose 11 lbs by December 4. I will use today as the starting point, so the end goal is 174. I will weigh myself on Monday mornings in a t-shirt and shorts.

It's an aggressive goal, but I think it is doable. At the very least, I would like to get down into the 170s. My eventual goal is 165, but that is outside the scope of this time frame. Thanksgiving may make things a bit tricky, but I am ready to navigate it. 

MAIN QUEST 2

Attend Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class 2x a week. Test for my first stripe. I haven't been good about going to class until the last month or so. I actually had an OK Cupid date cancel on me, and instead of moping, I decided to give BJJ another try. At least this relationship is working. 

GOALS

1) Use MyFitnessPal to track food *every day*. No exceptions. I haven't been good about sticking with food tracking before, but I feel ready this time. This is an important step for me as I get better about eating. 

2) No soda or Coke except on Halloween and Thanksgiving. I am a wicked soda fiend but I haven't had any in a couple of weeks so it's just a matter of keeping that momentum. 

3) Lift weights 3x a week and swim 2x a week for overall fitness. I have to think of a new weightlifting routine, so if any of you monks have any suggestions, I am all ears (or eyes since I am reading this on a computer screen). 

4) Eat a salad or a healthy serving of vegetables 3x a week. This may not sound like a lot to many of you, but this is hard for me. I hate vegetables. Hate them. Yet they are critical to health, so I will suck it up and try to do things so they actually don't taste horrible, haha. 

I will post each Monday with an update of my results and if I achieved the goal or not. 

It would be AWESOME if anyone would want to help keep me accountable. And I would be happy to reciprocate, like checking in once or twice a week in your thread. Not many of my friends are into fitness, so it would be really rewarding to help someone else along this path and get some help in return. 

Good luck fellow monks! 

Don't worry, the monastery will keep you accountable. *cracks knuckles* :)

Good luck with the vegetable quest.  Don't feel bad about taking it slow.  Big changes come from a series of small shifts.  Swimming is freakin' awesome.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

That would be awesome if y'all kept me in line. The last couple of weeks have been good and I have been slowly changing some habits so I can hit this challenge with some momentum. 

I also did this thing where if I don't hit my weight goal I will give money to the presidential candidate I disagree with most. Yay negative motivation! 

Well, me and BJJ are taking things slowly. We haven't done full rolling yet, just some basics about body positioning and guard work/escapes. 

Describing BJJ can be a bit ribald at times, apparently. 

Thanks for the shout out! 

Is it muscles or joints?

In general, I guess I'd suggest popping a couple of anti-inflammatories like aspirin or tylenol, doing a bit of a hot-water-soak if you can or maybe some stretching, and keeping your legs wrapped up extra-warm overnight, like an extra blanket.  The extra heat over an extended period like overnight tends to do wonders, IMO.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Hello! You will definitely be kept accountable on here, but if you want some extra pushing on the food logging feel free to add me on MyFitnessPal (I'm josefinejem there) - I'm on there every day and log everything regardless how shameful, and I'm happy to bug you if you don't stay on track. :)

• Like 1

Always kick higher

Is it muscles or joints?

In general, I guess I'd suggest popping a couple of anti-inflammatories like aspirin or tylenol, doing a bit of a hot-water-soak if you can or maybe some stretching, and keeping your legs wrapped up extra-warm overnight, like an extra blanket.  The extra heat over an extended period like overnight tends to do wonders, IMO.

Unfortunately, both. I don't know what is going on, but I really have a hard time recovering after going really hard. I have a tweak in my leg and my knees feel brittle. I get that I am 37 and can't bounce back quite like I used to, but it is frustrating. I may try the Tylenol thing over the next day or two, that's not a bad idea. Ibuprofen tends to wreck my stomach (argh weak stomach), but I can tolerate Tylenol fine. Do you do any stretches or leg work or anything? I was even thinking of a Pilates class except I don't know if I have the money since BJJ classes are hella expensive here. 

The extra blanket idea is great. Although my feet ALWAYS pop out during the night. 

Hello! You will definitely be kept accountable on here, but if you want some extra pushing on the food logging feel free to add me on MyFitnessPal (I'm josefinejem there) - I'm on there every day and log everything regardless how shameful, and I'm happy to bug you if you don't stay on track. :)

Hey thanks for saying hello JediJem! Is your name an amalgamation of Star Wars and that historical 80s cartoon? 

Any accountability is very appreciated! I will also add you on MyFitnessPal, if that's cool. I don't have any friends (on there) and have been only using it sporadically the last few months. Still, I haven't missed a day since I posted this challenge, so far so good. I will also give you a follow back on your thread! Gracias! 

Unfortunately, both. I don't know what is going on, but I really have a hard time recovering after going really hard. I have a tweak in my leg and my knees feel brittle. I get that I am 37 and can't bounce back quite like I used to, but it is frustrating. I may try the Tylenol thing over the next day or two, that's not a bad idea. Ibuprofen tends to wreck my stomach (argh weak stomach), but I can tolerate Tylenol fine. Do you do any stretches or leg work or anything? I was even thinking of a Pilates class except I don't know if I have the money since BJJ classes are hella expensive here. 

The extra blanket idea is great. Although my feet ALWAYS pop out during the night. 

Slow recovery might also be diet.  Might be worth taking a multivitamin and making sure that you're eating enough to recover from your workouts.  If the BJJ is new, your body will have a lot of tissue to rebuild to cope with the new stresses, and a steep cut to meet an aggressive weight loss goal might not mesh well with that.  I don't have a lot of advice here, but I've found from experience that there is a calorie threshold you can cross where the body stops recovering properly.  (MFP tends to give really lowball calorie goals, I've heard, so you might want a second opinion or a little experimentation to see if this is part of the problem.)

I don't have a lot of stretching suggestions, personally, but there may be some stuff on Youtube that does the trick, just five or ten minutes of yoga or stretching.  If it were just muscles, maybe stretching would be the answer, but for joints, meh, I wouldn't make it top of my list.  I think for knees, I'd take a two-pronged approach: a little extra exercise to strengthen the muscles around the knees so they handle the stress of a full class better, and heat plus something like Tiger Balm when you go to bed.  Just keep the stuff that hurts super-warm when you sleep.

• Like 1

I think for knees, I'd take a two-pronged approach: a little extra exercise to strengthen the muscles around the knees so they handle the stress of a full class better, and heat plus something like Tiger Balm when you go to bed. Just keep the stuff that hurts super-warm when you sleep.

I'd definitely second this. I don't know what your lifting routine is like at the moment, but exercises for the major lower body muscle groups are a must if you have knee issues. I also see you've done distance running in the past and us runners often suffer joint issues - for me (another 30+), regular sessions of weighted squats, deadlifts and lunges have helped enormously with my knee problems. I was also given the advice to do thorough hamstring stretches which also seems to have helped, but I guess that depends on the type of joint issue you're having. Probably can't hurt though!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Always kick higher

Slow recovery might also be diet.  Might be worth taking a multivitamin and making sure that you're eating enough to recover from your workouts.  If the BJJ is new, your body will have a lot of tissue to rebuild to cope with the new stresses, and a steep cut to meet an aggressive weight loss goal might not mesh well with that.  I don't have a lot of advice here, but I've found from experience that there is a calorie threshold you can cross where the body stops recovering properly.  (MFP tends to give really lowball calorie goals, I've heard, so you might want a second opinion or a little experimentation to see if this is part of the problem.)

I don't have a lot of stretching suggestions, personally, but there may be some stuff on Youtube that does the trick, just five or ten minutes of yoga or stretching.  If it were just muscles, maybe stretching would be the answer, but for joints, meh, I wouldn't make it top of my list.  I think for knees, I'd take a two-pronged approach: a little extra exercise to strengthen the muscles around the knees so they handle the stress of a full class better, and heat plus something like Tiger Balm when you go to bed.  Just keep the stuff that hurts super-warm when you sleep.

I was thinking of diet as well. I have never been a great eater so I have a lot to explore for sure. I do take a multivitamin already, which helps with my poor immune system. I usually get 3 or 4 colds every fall/winter but since I have taken a multivitamin it is probably down to 2 or 3, which is really nice. I think a general lack of sleep also hurts my recovery. I am such a bad sleeper and always have been and this may impact me and recovery as I get older. Good call on the amount of calories as well, I will try to boost them a bit on the two days I do BJJ. It is new and my body may still be adjusting. When I played football in high school (for two years, poorly), I remember it took a week or two to get used to the contact. So maybe in my 30s it just takes longer? 

Thanks for the leg advice! I was doing some leg work once or twice a week until the spring, but I was feeling super achy from this race I was training for so I stepped back (no puns intended) a bit. It's hard to know the balance between work and rest at this point. I feel like it is a moving target depending on age and fitness as well. Next week I will start with some light squats and lunges, and maybe sign up for a pilates class or two at work and see what happens. I am too young to feel this old! 

I'd definitely second this. I don't know what your lifting routine is like at the moment, but exercises for the major lower body muscle groups are a must if you have knee issues. I also see you've done distance running in the past and us runners often suffer joint issues - for me (another 30+), regular sessions of weighted squats, deadlifts and lunges have helped enormously with my knee problems. I was also given the advice to do thorough hamstring stretches which also seems to have helped, but I guess that depends on the type of joint issue you're having. Probably can't hurt though!

Yeah I never really had joint issues until the last year or so, and it is so frustrating. And I will try to get more leg work in as well, those exercises all look good, although I haven't done many deadlifts ever. I would like to explore more in stretching, like yoga or Pilates, I have never done anything like that before. My work has classes that are relatively cheap, so I will check them out. I just hate feeling like someone threw me out of the third floor of my building. It isn't awesome at all.

Fellow members of the Monastery!

You are about to embark upon the Great Challenge, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. In company with our brave Allies in this forum, you will bring about the completion of this challenge. 

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemies of junk food, self-doubt and inconsistency are well-equipped and battle-hardened. They will fight savagely. 

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and fitness. We will accept nothing less than finishing! 

Good luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of fate upon this great and noble undertaking. 
  • Like 2

Yeah! Let's go!!

(See - snow is awesome! Don't you just want to go and hide away and train in a little cottage like that? Sweden in winter, my friend)

So, true story: in that clip, Rocky's training more closely resembles actual Soviet training methods than the Soviet character.

It's fun to watch knowing that. :)

Haha I live in Boston so last winter was more or less like that unfortunately. We all had to do the 'true' Soviet style of training for a couple of months since everything was closed half the time. I did a bunch of runs in the middle of blizzards. It was actually pretty fun. 

The rest of the time it sucked though. 

So far so good a few days into the challenge! My body seems to be adjusting to the BJJ intensity, plus I have been taking some Advil PMs at night after hard sessions to help me sleep and to help keep swelling down. My sleep has also been ok, so that is nice. 

Citius, Altius, Fortius! 

• Like 1

Honestly, the tracking of calories has been revelatory. For some reason, it makes the food choices I am making much easier. For instance, if I know I have had a crap day and are way ahead on calories, I am much much much more mindful of what I eat the rest of the day (although today was probably my worst day so far, but still). 

I will weigh myself in the morning, but although I had a bad weekend, I feel like I am still going in a positive direction. 

It's probably like this for other people, but the hardest part of good eating habits can sometimes be when you are out with family/friends. I tend to revert to bad habits and get what they get. If I was eating at home, it is easier to control. 

Still, I can't let a couple of bad days prevent me from keeping momentum going. 

Hey hey hey. Week one check in! 

MAIN QUEST 1 (Lose 11 lbs by Dec. 4) 

I weighed myself this morning and I am down to 182.8! That is a loss of 2.6 lbs and way better than I thought I would do since I had a bad food weekend. And I didn't exercise much. But I was pretty good about watching my caloric intake the rest of the week so I guess it paid off. I give myself a B+ (would have been an A, but the weekend wasn't good at all). 

MAIN QUEST 2 (attend BJJ 2x a week)

Despite some aches and pains, I fulfilled this. My body doesn't feel as wrecked after class, so I am happy about that. Somehow I hurt my back over the weekend, a weekend where I did nothing physical. That is annoying. But anyway, this gets an A.

Goals

1) Use MyFitnessPal every day to track food: I have tracked every single bite of food or drop of non-water drink since this started: A

As I said earlier, food tracking for me has been great. It really helps with seeing where the calories are from and also lets me eat different things and not feel constrained by cutting stuff out. Other than soda. No soda until Thanksgiving. 

2) No soda except on Halloween or Thanksgiving: Haven't had any! So: A

And this is a bit of a linchpin for the rest of my diet. For some reason, when I am drinking a lot of soda, the rest of my diet goes downhill. Cutting this out has had a big effect on me. 

3) Lift 3x and swim 2x a week: This I haven't been able to do. At all. Part of it was that I was feeling super run down and didn't want to overdo things. The other part was laziness. I could do a quick work out during my lunch break, but lately I haven't been doing it. This week I will try to make progress here: Grade: F

4) I did have vegetables a couple of times during the week and a salad with lunch on Saturday. Grade: A

This may have been my best single challenge week of the three I have done. Today I had a crap lunch, but I will work hard at still having a good week. 

Apropos of nothing, please enjoy these Drake vines: 

Great first challenge week! And way to go on the weight loss!!

Regarding lifting and swimming; perhaps as you adjust more and more to the BJJ and feel less tired from that you'll have more energy for other things. But, all over, it's looking good. :)

• Like 1

Always kick higher