'BoutThatActionBoss - Finish with a Flourish '15

Looks like you had a solid first week! I'm glad to hear the tracking is going so well for you. Just being aware of the choices you make is such a huge step. I'm not even a big soda drinker, but cutting it out completely sounds hard. So my hat is off to you for taking up that challenge!

Hope your back feels better soon! Maybe try some gentle stretches, if you think it won't aggravate it further?

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Great first challenge week! And way to go on the weight loss!!

Regarding lifting and swimming; perhaps as you adjust more and more to the BJJ and feel less tired from that you'll have more energy for other things. But, all over, it's looking good. :)

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Thanks for the shouts out! I think this week I am ready to add things. The BJJ isn't taking as much of a toll, which is awesome. Work is a bit crazy so it is harder to get there during my lunch break. But I need to do 2x this week with lifting and swimming each. No more excuses! 

And Jedi, big ups for your consistent logging on MyFitnessPal. Consider me impressed! Do you feel like it's made a difference for you? 

Looks like you had a solid first week! I'm glad to hear the tracking is going so well for you. Just being aware of the choices you make is such a huge step. I'm not even a big soda drinker, but cutting it out completely sounds hard. So my hat is off to you for taking up that challenge!

Hope your back feels better soon! Maybe try some gentle stretches, if you think it won't aggravate it further?

Thank you! It does feel pretty solid. I love love love soda in the worst way. But I think saving it for special occasions is ultimately the best thing for me. With some stuff I am way too all or nothing, so I would rather be on the nothing end of things with soda. An extra bonus is that with healthier eating my stomach feels way, way better. I often have stomach problems but when my diet is on lock I feel better overall. 

For some reason I have always had back/neck tweaks a bunch of times during the year. One of the worst was when I was putting socks away in my drawer and something pulled BAD and I had to lay on the floor for like 30 minutes without moving. From putting socks away!!!

Do you have any suggestions for stretches or exercises to strengthen things up? Luckily the BJJ hasn't aggravated it too much so far. 

I do have a sore glute (and have had it for months) so I may add some light lower leg exercises to strengthen the area. 

Do you have any suggestions for stretches or exercises to strengthen things up? Luckily the BJJ hasn't aggravated it too much so far. 

I don't, but you might consider talking to your doctor. They usually have print outs of physical therapy exercises for those sort of things.

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Might also be tightness rather than weakness, especially if you have a desk job.  That tends to make the shoulders and neck tighten.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I don't, but you might consider talking to your doctor. They usually have print outs of physical therapy exercises for those sort of things.

Might also be tightness rather than weakness, especially if you have a desk job.  That tends to make the shoulders and neck tighten.

Luckily my back is feeling better. Weirdly enough, it hurt mostly when I was laying down, but when I was standing or sitting up, it felt better. 

I do have a desk job, and I am 100 percent sure that it makes things worse. I have to be better about walking around and stretching during the day. 

Or getting a non-desk job.

For office/ desk induced neck and back pain, my PT told me to do self-massage with a tennis ball - position tennis ball where there's pain/ tension and hold it in place by leaning against a wall. Move around to 'massage' the area. It has worked wonders for me! But yeah, do check with a qualified professional if the pain persists.

Always kick higher

For office/ desk induced neck and back pain, my PT told me to do self-massage with a tennis ball - position tennis ball where there's pain/ tension and hold it in place by leaning against a wall. Move around to 'massage' the area. It has worked wonders for me! But yeah, do check with a qualified professional if the pain persists.

I may try this this week actually! If I can find a tennis ball. The pain has been abating but my back still feels tight. But yeah, if it gets worse or lingers a couple of weeks longer, I will mos def head to a doctor. I have terrible posture while sitting at work all day. I know this is a huge part of it.

Oooof. Rough end to week two. Let's get down on it, Kool and the Gang-style. 

MAIN QUEST 1 (Lost 11 lbs by end of challenge)

Welp, I was in a groove until the weekend. But then I BLASTED away my gains by going on some binge eating. I weighed myself this morning and am up to 183.2. I wonder if it is even worse because I was slightly dehydrated this morning. Not good stuff. Like Jay Z once said, however, it's time for me to brush that dirt off my shoulder and get back on track. Today has been a return to form, so that is good. 

Grade: C- (I was OK until the weekend, so it wasn't all negative)

MAIN QUEST 2 (attend BJJ 2x a week)

Still holding strong here. My bike got a flat (I don't own a car), so I was left to skateboarding to class the last few sessions. I feel like I am finally learning some things. Not so many submissions but body positioning and guard stuff. Things come a bit slower when you're in your late 30s. 

Grade: A

Goals 

1) Use MyFitnessPal every day to track food: I have tracked every bit of food I have eaten. I ran into some difficulties when I had some food I didn't quite know the name of, but I approximated with something else. I will count it: A

2) No soda except on Halloween and Thanksgiving: Haven't had any, despite temptation. I may be loading up on the non-soda soft drinks more than I should, but overall it's still fewer calories from liquids than cola: A

3) Lift 3x and swim 2x a week: Utter failure. Didn't do either. I have to plan my week better. Even if I drop to 2x/1x a week. I need to do more than just BJJ and biking: F

4) Vegetables 3x a week: Only got in twice, and that was kinda by accident. I need to be more mindful about getting more vegetables in. This is always hard for me, but I can do it. 

So honestly a mediocre week but not a complete loss. I was building up some good momentum there and can get back to it. Today was good so that sets the table for a nice week I hope. 

Thanks for everyone's support! 

Like Jay Z said. Brush the dirt off your shoulders. It's not over yet.

As to planning training and such like that, BJJ being prioritized is the right move to make. If you are a martial artist and enjoy martial arts, then the best way to develop the athletic attributes of the art is to do the art as often as you can. Given that you enjoy it as well, it's easier to make and maintain room for it in your life.

The other stuff you can fit in as you have time, though if you haven't had any time, then yeah, you may need to readjust your schedule a bit. Which, like, I don't know how that's going to play for you. But if you want the extra training, you have to make extra time.

It wasn't a good week, but it doesn't have to be end of the line either. It has lessons, and if you learn and apply them, then it was a good week after all, because it taught you something. :)

• Like 1

Like Jay Z said. Brush the dirt off your shoulders. It's not over yet.

As to planning training and such like that, BJJ being prioritized is the right move to make. If you are a martial artist and enjoy martial arts, then the best way to develop the athletic attributes of the art is to do the art as often as you can. Given that you enjoy it as well, it's easier to make and maintain room for it in your life.

The other stuff you can fit in as you have time, though if you haven't had any time, then yeah, you may need to readjust your schedule a bit. Which, like, I don't know how that's going to play for you. But if you want the extra training, you have to make extra time.

It wasn't a good week, but it doesn't have to be end of the line either. It has lessons, and if you learn and apply them, then it was a good week after all, because it taught you something. :)

Thanks for the support Kishi! Yeah I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I would really like to be a blue belt by the end of next year. I would also like to train one day more a week, but it would cost more. But you're right, I just need to do it more. I really need to drill the moves because BJJ still seems really complex to me and I have to have a better foundation. 

I spent the weekend in NYC and didn't exactly eat like a champ, but that is life. I enjoyed the hell out of the city and exercised each day (including a four hour bike ride from Brooklyn to Manhattan), but my diet fell off a bit. 

Thank you for the shout out! 

Welp, last week wasn't a smashing success. It alternated between a ridiculously stressful work week and a ridiculously fun weekend in New York. I ate way too much in NYC, but I ran two days and also did a 22 mile bike ride from Prospect Park to the top of Central Park and back. I LOVE LOVE LOVE New York, I kinda kick myself for having never lived there BUT THAT'S FOR ANOTHER THREAD. As Modest Mouse said, let's get down to the Good News for People Who Like Bad News: 

MAIN QUEST 1 (Lose 11 lbs by end of challenge)

Total and utter fail here. I actually gained weight again and was at 185.2 this morning, which surprised me. I didn't eat great in NYC, but I ran or biked every day, and walked all over the place. I guess it's just one of those things as you get older your metabolism gives you a smaller margin of error when trying to lose weight. 

Grade: F

MAIN QUEST 2 (Attend BJJ 2x a week)

Got it done again. I already went once this week. I still feel like I don't know what I am doing but I hope it starts making more sense soon. The instructors are cool and patient, so I am thankful for that. 

Goals

1) Use MyFitnessPal every day to track food: Still holding it down here! And although I am not losing weight, I am sure it is keeping me from gaining weight, so that is a positive: A

2) No soda except on Halloween and Thanksgiving: I still haven't had any. It's cool that with stuff like this your cravings diminish over time. I did go to Five Guys in Manhattan and was tempted to get a Coke but I declined. So far, so good: A

3) Lift 3x + swim 2x a week: I have been dropping the ball tremendously here. After Thanksgiving I will sit down and work out the details of a plan and try it out. I feel like with something such as this I really need to sit and plan it out on a Google calendar. So that is what I will do: F

4) Vegetables 3x a week: I had a couple of vegetables over the weekend, like a random tomato. So I won't give myself a failing grade. But just barely: D

I am going backwards, but it really is a mixed bag as I am coming through on some things and falling short on others. I would really love to get under 180 lbs by December, but I don't think it's going to happen. But maybe by Dec. 6? Let's get it done! 

It sounds to me like you're accomplishing a lot. Taking a good look at your schedule should help you decide where to fit in the additional workouts, though it sounds like you're trying to fit a lot in. Have you considered adjusting your strength training and swimming goals? Between those and bjj you're working out 5-6 days a week, which may be something to build up to gradually instead of shooting for all at once.

Way to go staying strong on the soda! Thanks to value meals cheeseburgers, fries, and coke are all linked in my mind, so that would be a hard thing to turn down.

• Like 1

- Stephen King

Well, you're preserving the BJJ, and that's what counts. The other stuff is meant to enhance that practice, but be mindful as you go to revisit that schedule that, in the process of enhancing your practice that you don't completely negate it. It's a tempting trap, and it doesn't look like it's a trap, but a trap it is nevertheless. Be careful.

It sounds to me like you're accomplishing a lot. Taking a good look at your schedule should help you decide where to fit in the additional workouts, though it sounds like you're trying to fit a lot in. Have you considered adjusting your strength training and swimming goals? Between those and bjj you're working out 5-6 days a week, which may be something to build up to gradually instead of shooting for all at once.

Way to go staying strong on the soda! Thanks to value meals cheeseburgers, fries, and coke are all linked in my mind, so that would be a hard thing to turn down.

Yeah I may have to adjust some goals. I think I need to prioritize getting my legs strong. They ALWAYS feel dead. I have cut way back on running and cycling yet they never feel strong anymore. I realize that part of this is aging and that I won't be as spring and bouncy as before, but I shouldn't feel this run down. Part of it too is that I haven't been sleeping great and that can mess with recovery. But I need to maybe get to the gym 2x a week and swim 1x a week. So maybe that is the way to go. Because going 2x is better than 0x! 

Trust me, the soda thing is HARD. Especially when I have the value meal or pizza or something. The first week was tough. I feel OK now, but it took awhile. 

Thanks for the shout out! 

Well, you're preserving the BJJ, and that's what counts. The other stuff is meant to enhance that practice, but be mindful as you go to revisit that schedule that, in the process of enhancing your practice that you don't completely negate it. It's a tempting trap, and it doesn't look like it's a trap, but a trap it is nevertheless. Be careful.

Yeah I will have to re-think my schedule. I think going 2x a week and swimming 1x a week is the way to go. What has been clouding things is that I have been thinking of starting a bodyweight routine, so I have been reading about that a lot. Of course, what happened is that I want to read more before I start, so I end up doing nothing. Not my best trait. But this week I will sit and start to plan out a more concrete schedule. No more excuses. 

Hello world. Time for another update. And ufff...it was a tough week. I completely fell off the nutrition bandwagon. I think it also backed over me and ran me over. Let's get to it: 

MAIN QUEST 1 (Lose 11 lbs by end of challenge)

Weighed myself yesterday morning and was 184. I weighed myself again today and it was 185.4 or so. So I am essentially the same as last week. Which is OK considering it was Thanksgiving, I guess. I am just sick of not being able to turn this corner. This is my third challenge and I haven't made any progress whatsoever with my weight. I will have to really critically reflect on what is working, what isn't, and possible changes. I think tracking has been a great thing, and I think the next step will be to plan my meals out each week. I do better with planning and routine than not. 

Grade: D- (I didn't gain weight over Thanksgiving)

MAIN QUEST 2 (Attend BJJ 2x a week)

This continues to be a success for me. Except for the week I spent traveling in October, I haven't missed any classes. I am feeling really run down lately, especially my legs, but the good news is that once training starts, I feel better. I have to figure out how to get more spring in my step, so any advice is welcome. I have been dealing with a sore glute since the summer, so maybe a complete shutdown is necessary? I think before I do that I will do some leg strengthening exercises to see if that helps. I just hate the idea of taking time off completely. 

Goals

1) Use MyFitnessPal every day to track food: I feel like I have been doing quite well here. I probably haven't tracked everything, but I bet I am putting in at least 90+% of things I eat. And if I remember something, I will go back and log it in. This has been a positive: A

2) No soda except on Halloween and Thanksgiving: I have continued to follow this. I had some soda on Thanksgiving, which was nice. Of course I probably overdid it, but then I left it the next day. So I am doing well here: A

3) Lift 3x, swim 2x a week: Outright failure the ENTIRE CHALLENGE. I may do 2x/1x for the next challenge. Better to start small and build on it. Part of this is that I do feel run down and want to take time to recover. At the same time, I think I would benefit from some squats and deadlifts: F------------------

4) Vegetables 3x a week: Utter failure here: F

Another mixed bag. The nutrition piece I REALLY need to work on. I will think about this for the next challenge. Maybe something like planning my meals for 4 out of the 5 days of the work week and one weekend day. I think that would help me. I only cook for myself, so I could make something and eat it two or three days in a row. Luckily, I don't get sick of food easily. 

No choice but to close strong. Some positives, some negatives. 

Finish with a Flourish! 

With the vegetable thing, maybe make the challenge learning new recipes for vegetables.  Make a new vegetable recipe twice a week, and you'll start to figure out things like whether it's the vegetables you don't like or the way they're cooked, or which ones you kind of like and can use as gateway vegetables, or how to bury them in recipes that are okay.  There are... a lot of bad ways to cook vegetables (thanks, 1950s!), and that seems to make a huge difference to whether people like them or not.  Or carrots are okay and you can use them as a way to introduce a little more green things.  Or you may just like them more covered in soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, or buried under tomato sauce and cheese.  Whatever moves you forward. Forcing yourself to eat vegetables three times a week, I guess it's fine if it works, but especially if it doesn't, it's probably more useful to figure out how to identify and sneak around the thing that's stopping you.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

With the vegetable thing, maybe make the challenge learning new recipes for vegetables.  Make a new vegetable recipe twice a week, and you'll start to figure out things like whether it's the vegetables you don't like or the way they're cooked, or which ones you kind of like and can use as gateway vegetables, or how to bury them in recipes that are okay.  There are... a lot of bad ways to cook vegetables (thanks, 1950s!), and that seems to make a huge difference to whether people like them or not.  Or carrots are okay and you can use them as a way to introduce a little more green things.  Or you may just like them more covered in soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, or buried under tomato sauce and cheese.  Whatever moves you forward. Forcing yourself to eat vegetables three times a week, I guess it's fine if it works, but especially if it doesn't, it's probably more useful to figure out how to identify and sneak around the thing that's stopping you.

^^You raise a really good point. I see vegetables as something that has to be tolerated and it isn't getting me anywhere.

I think I have to be more mindful of my consumption of them. One step I need to take is to take time every couple of nights to prepare vegetables to eat so I can just grab and go. 

Part of the problem is that I have a hard time digesting raw vegetables so I have to cook them in some way so I don't have any pain. I know it isn't really hard to do, but I lack skills to make good and flavorful dishes. This is absolutely something I have to work on. I think if I do my meal planning more deliberately (planning my meals a week in advance), it will be easier for me to prepare something. And maybe a basic cookbook. 

But a new mindset is needed with this (and all my nutrition goals), so that will be a part of the next challenge for me. 

One thing that I've had some luck with is roasting some cauliflower in the oven (cut it up, toss with olive oil and some salt and pepper). We can then eat it like that, or toss it in a food processor and mix it into all sorts of things. We've mixed it into mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, soups, curries. It helps bulk out a meal without being noticeable. 

• Like 1

WhiteBeltBrowncoat | Four-week Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Current

Goal: Weigh 238 lbs by 10/14/2018 SW(201809112):245.9 / CW(201800917):244.2

Think Progress, Not Perfection

Part of the problem is that I have a hard time digesting raw vegetables so I have to cook them in some way so I don't have any pain. I know it isn't really hard to do, but I lack skills to make good and flavorful dishes. This is absolutely something I have to work on. I think if I do my meal planning more deliberately (planning my meals a week in advance), it will be easier for me to prepare something. And maybe a basic cookbook. 

But a new mindset is needed with this (and all my nutrition goals), so that will be a part of the next challenge for me. 

Some ideas for a vegetable challenge: Pick a technique each week to try out, like roasting, blanching, sautéing, etc. Or find someone to do a veggie competition throughout the next challenge...the friendly competition might be enough to push you into making it a habit. Also, I've found the library to be a really great source for cookbooks when I don't want to commit to buying one.

Good work on identifying a potential sticking point in your weight loss! You're smart to give attention to that instead of letting a lack of progress get you down.

• Like 1

- Stephen King

One thing that I've had some luck with is roasting some cauliflower in the oven (cut it up, toss with olive oil and some salt and pepper). We can then eat it like that, or toss it in a food processor and mix it into all sorts of things. We've mixed it into mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, soups, curries. It helps bulk out a meal without being noticeable. 

This is a great idea. I was literally talking to a friend yesterday and he does the same thing. I NEVER use the oven but it looks like I should start! Thank you for the advice! 

Some ideas for a vegetable challenge: Pick a technique each week to try out, like roasting, blanching, sautéing, etc. Or find someone to do a veggie competition throughout the next challenge...the friendly competition might be enough to push you into making it a habit. Also, I've found the library to be a really great source for cookbooks when I don't want to commit to buying one.

Good work on identifying a potential sticking point in your weight loss! You're smart to give attention to that instead of letting a lack of progress get you down.

I like this idea A LOT. Just one technique, one night a week. Something simply but doable. I will do it next challenge! And yeah, I will have to try some recipes because even if I want to try new techniques and styles, I wouldn't even know where to go to start. But, like all good things, I need to start at the library! 

And yeah, the weight loss thing is always evolving and I am just trying to figure out sustainable ways of making changes and not looking at things as a diet, but instead something much more permanent. No luck yet, but with more planning I will break through. I have been really good about bringing my lunch to work (mostly because I am broke), and this helps. The sweets and snacking are a problem though. Still, small changes first!