HumanNomad - Putting the Pieces Together.

HumanNomad

Heyo! First time here and I'm super excited! I'm a runner by nature, but want to get better at putting all the fitness pieces in order, not just running. In the past I've either managed to succeed at running and forego strength training, or vise versa. Diet can be a little wishy-washy too ;) But I feel like I'm doing pretty well at these things individually, I just need to get them all working together.

So for this challenge the overarching theme will be: Putting the Pieces Together!

My goals are as follows:

1) Train to Be a Better Runner. - Follow the Training Plan

That means following the plan as I taper for a race on November 7th, and then hopping on the new plan my coach set up for me starting November 14th. I've hired somebody to help me reach my running goals, so no more second guessing my training and randomly switching plans. My coach will do the hard part of putting the training schedule together, I just have to show up, hold on and run. I know this plan is going to be really challenging for me, so I don't want to get in the habit of skipping days and thinking I'll make them up later. If I don't do the prescribed workout for that day, I have to do some cardio for the duration that I would have run. No excuses!

Points - 2 for every workout during the week. (12 possible weekly)

During my taper for the next few weeks that includes mobility and foam rolling days as I'm doing substantially fewer workouts right now.

2) Lift to Be a Better Runner. - Strength Train (any kind) 20mins 3x weekly.

I have a really hard time nailing both strength and running. It feels like if I go too hard at one, I can't do the other. Ultimately I want to be a strong runner, not a lifter who happens to run. As such I'm relegating strength training to a little bit of a back burner spot. Instead of super structured workouts I'm going to view any strength training session of 20+ mins a win. I'm primarily going to focus on body weight stuff and some occasional kettle bells and dumbbell work especially on lower body, which will allow me to complete workouts at home.

Points - 3x points for every session (9 possible weekly)

3) Eat (or not) To Be a Better Runner - Intermittent Fasting - Twice Weekly.

A lighter runner, is almost always going to be a faster runner. I've know this forever, and yet I'm still sitting here at 5ft 4in, 164lbs, and roughly 30% body fat. My ultimate goal will be to get into the 20% bf range at around 140 (would be my guess). But for this challenge I'm aiming to hit sub 160. I'll be doing this by practicing two 20-24hr fasts every week. I tried fasting after reading about it on NF a while back and realized it really worked for me. Then I got lazy... and regained some weight. But now I'm back on it! I'll be weighing in every few days to see how the weight loss is coming.

Points - 4x points for each full fast (8 possible weekly)

4) Personal Goal - Look Like You Care

Seriously.

This one is really personal, and really hard for me (for some reason). Basically I've just had a chat with my boss about how I'm super talented and good at my job (all very nice to hear) but that I tend to shoot myself in the foot because people think I don't care or I'm apathetic towards their projects. This is not a good thing to be told. I work in a creative field and being personable is actually quite important to your success (as I'm slowly learning). The problem is that I'm naturally really shy, and I don't like wearing my heart on my sleeve. I'm really reserved inherently, but I'm also really passionate about my job and am willing to work a ton of over time to get these projects done. So it was really discouraging when I was told today that people perceive me as somebody who does't really engage or care.

So this goal is a little nebulous and unformed, but it's something that I want to start working towards. Sort of a fake it 'til you make it kind of approach. If anybody has tips on this one, I'm all ears.

Points  - No points for this one, but daily effort.

• Like 2

Zombies-Run-Away.jpg

Runners will be the survivors of the zombie apocalypse. I recommend strength training enough to wield a chain saw, but I may be biased.

Random zombie references aside, sounds like you've got some great goals to work on. Good luck! :D

• Like 1

"You can do it. I believe in you."

Logs: (insert here)

Challenge: (n/a until next starts)

I think runners will most likely survive most apocolypses (except maybe a nuclear or solar flare apocalypse), but it's good to have other skills too :) Good job. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Let me guess...you like to run?  I do too.  Even tough runs have me smiling granted it may be later.  Pure joy for sure.  Cruise on by the Scouts Tavern and challenges in general.  Would love to have you pop over and say hi.  We have some crazy runners (one completed a freaking 99 miler recently and can do an impressively high box jump...go strength!).  While in the Scouts area post your races on the Scouts Calendar.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

All I can say is thank god the challenge doesn't start in earnest until next week because I'm off to a terrible start so far.

On Monday I did 12 miles in the mountains (basically hike up 4,000ft with some jogging, and then run down). I started to feel a little off, but pushed through the workout. Tuesday I didn't feel great, but made it through work and my late night class ok. Although zoning out at my computer probably didn't help me "look like I care." Fail.

Wednesday through today I've been home sick, basically migrating from bed to couch to bathroom, back to bed. *sigh* I really hate that I'm this sick just over a week out from a race. Challenge is on hold until this clears up, because I'm pretty sure being too sick to keep food down doesn't count as intermittent fasting in a healthy way. Training has been zero, and efforts at foam rolling or yoga have left me too tired to do anything but nap. I'm feeling a little better today so I'll try and get a walk in and then if I can I'd like to manage 7-10 miles on the bike path tomorrow.

The silver lining of this (sort of?) is that on Monday I contacted the race director for the event next Saturday and asked to downgrade in distance. I'm so glad I did because I'm much less stressed out than I would have been if I'd stuck to the longer distance. This race is a stepping stone to some longer distances I want to tackle in spring of next year, so I think prioritizing a solid fall training block is better than putting myself in the hole now for what is not a very important race in the long term. 

Ok, time for a nap and to watch some more re-runs of The X-Files. Anybody else getting super excited for the new season?!?!

• Like 1

Mmmm that's a good point. I wonder if there are specific training plans for chainsaw wielding.... or do you think I'd have to create my own ;)

Zombies-Run-Away.jpg

Runners will be the survivors of the zombie apocalypse. I recommend strength training enough to wield a chain saw, but I may be biased.

Random zombie references aside, sounds like you've got some great goals to work on. Good luck! :D

Week 1 Day 1 

Finally starting to feel a little better so I force myself out the door this morning for a quick fartlek workout. I had some fun running hard on the hills, alternating running and walking. I only went 2.5 miles, but at this point any training I do won't actually benefit my race this weekend and I'm definitely still feeling pretty unwell after being sick for the better part of a week. The goal for this week as I approach my race will be to drink lots of water, get in some good sleep and recovery work, and eat lots of carbs. I can't think of a much worse way to prepare for a race than having the stomach bug for a week, but that's the reality I'm dealing with.

The good news is that I now have zero expectations for this race. I'm viewing it as a good training run, and good prep for the next training block which starts Nov 14th, but I'm not expecting to do very well, and I don't want to try and push myself. I just want to go out and have a good time.

But there is always a silver lining, and in this scenario the fact that I took Tuesday of last week through Sunday off of running, it gave the small ache in my achillies tendon some time to heal and it felt great on this mornings (very very short run) and didn't need to be warmed up! Woo, random injury prevention.

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 2

I'm really hoping this challenge doesn't turn into a whine-fest. Hahaha I guess two days in is a little early to call it. :)

Anyway, yesterday I was feeling better and recovering from being sick. Today I got my period (sorry, boys, I'm not sorry for talking about this). So now I'm feeling pretty crappy on a whole different level. On the bright side, I know this will only last a few days. Still, I can't help but feel a little apprehensive about my race this weekend. It's a distance I know I can cover, but I still know it's going to be a hard day out on the trails, so I want to keep focused so as to not make any stupid mistakes on or before race day. 

As far as goals go:

Training - Yesterday I did a quick run, and foam rolling at night. We'll call that 2 points for each since 'training' during a taper can really mean knowing when to just relax, like I'm doing today.

Fasting - Today will be a full 24hr fast. I'm already starting to see the scale move in the direction I want. But given that I was just sick, then I got my period which always makes me gain weight, I really have no idea what's going on. I'll re-evaluate next week and that will give me a better grasp on any progress I'm making. Right now I'm weighing in almost daily and using an app called Happy Scale, which plots a line of best fit from your data. I like this method a lot better because I think it better illustrates general progress.

Strength Training - I'm basically foregoing this during taper week. I'll do a core session tonight and Thursday, but that's basically it. There really is no point this close to a race, and it will only tire me out. I'll aim to be back in the gym on Monday of next week.

Personal Goal - Look Like I Care - I just got a huge boost at work yesterday! I learned that one of the projects that I pitched will be moving forward! Actually all of the top three ideas that were selected were my ideas! This is a huge confidence boost for me, and it will put me in the room with some people whom I really admire and want to work with. If there is a time to look like I care, now would be it.

• Like 1

Good idea on scaling back distance on a race that is not important to you!  Fasting on your period.  That is when I want to eat the most.   I like IF a couple days a week in general.  You are bouncing back so fast from being sick...wow!

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Week 1 Day 4

Is it too early in this challenge to be frustrated? Because I'm already really frustrated, mostly with my body and it's inability to heal itself despite having nearly perfect conditions to do so.

Let's back up a little bit. Yesterday I did pick ups on the track, just some short 200m accelerations in order to get the legs turning over, this was followed by a short core session. Again, none of this training is supposed to really feel like training, it's just to keep the muscles fresh. I ate normally (no fasting) yesterday and went to bed relatively early with the plan of sleeping in a bit today.

This morning I woke up feeling sick... again. Mostly stomach pains and some minor nausea, coupled with a general "uhg I feel pretty run down" feeling. I am not happy about this. The weather is finally cooling down and I just want to run and train and race and have adventures in the mountains! Instead I'm muddling through another day feeling sick and wondering why my body can't just get better. It seems like a taper would be the ideal time for my body to re-coupe, and instead I'm stuck in sickness purgatory.

I know, I'm just whining. But with a race now just two days away I'm getting apprehensive about how I might feel on that starting line.

Ok, ok deep breaths. I'll just try and take it easy the next few days and accept that at this point, there is very little I can do. Whatever is going to happen on race day is exactly what is going to happen.

• Like 1

Try not to get frustrated. I imagine a lot of your sick feelings will pass. Like you said, what will come will come. Congratulations on your successes at work, and good luck on your race Saturday. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Breath and relax.  It is frustrating when you have such a good plan right before you.

How did the race go?

• Like 1

Ray Miller 30K race report (it was really more like 35k/21miles).

Saturday morning came far too early. When my alarm went off at 4:30am, I was tired and cold and had that strange hung-over feeling that I associate with sleeping poorly and recovering from illness. Despite taking a nap Friday and going to bed early I was still tired. My boyfriend however was strangely awake and chipper, and while I muddled around getting ready and wondering if my stomach cramps would abate and if I should go run or not, he got up and dressed and decided to come with me. This ultimately made all the difference in the world. It was so nice having him there before the start of the race and even better knowing that I'd have a familiar face when I crossed the finish line.

The race was at the Ray Miller trailhead (hence the name) which is located along the Pacific Coast Highway in northern Malibu. As we drove north we listened to classic 80's rock (pretty much the best pre-race music ever) and watched the sun rise. Checkin went smoothly and I was amazed to see none other than Nike Trail Pro athlete Sally McRae (she's such an amazing and humble athlete and if you don't know who she is I'd highly encourage checking her out). But I think more importantly her presence at so many SoCal trail races really illustrates what is so amazing about the trail running community, that a professional athlete who has raced around the world would come out just to help with runner sign in and packet pick up on race morning. So cool. Sally was at my first trail race this year, and I decided to view her presence as a good omen.

We lined up at the start line and I did my best to hang back, chat with the boyfriend, and generally repeat to whomever would listen that this was just a training run for me. I wanted to take the pressure off as much as I could and just focus on having fun. In what I’ve come to recognize as typical trail running races that race director simply shouted go and we ambled off down the hill. 

Almost immediately we were faced with a three mile climb that ascended above the ocean and lead to the first aid station. The start had both 50k and 30k runners and was mostly single track trail with little room to pass. Pretty quickly all but the fastest runners fell into a casual hike as we made our way up. This was perfect for me. With dozens of runners ahead of me I had no pressure to even try and pass them and the first mile passed quickly as I focused on smiling and enjoying the views.

IMG 0080

The first climb and the conga line of runners. All the fast people are already out of sight

We summited the first climb and were treated to a gradual downhill that lead to the first aid station at mile 5. I felt like I hadn’t even spent much energy yet, but forced down a GU anyway, knowing that I’d need the energy and I’d better start in with my nutrition early. I was in and out of the first aid station quickly, after pausing long enough to fill my water bottle.

IMG 0085

Looking back down the way we came. My car is along that road some where, and so was the start/finish line.

From this aid station we traversed out across a field and along a dry creek bed. I fell in with some runners who were moving maybe 30 seconds/mile slower than I would have and decided to stay with them as long as I could. I wanted to run conservatively for the first half of the race not knowing how much energy I had. After two miles of relatively flat single track we hit our second large climb of the day. I again slowed to a deliberate hike. The views were stunning, and since this was just a training run I paused to take some pictures. I also passed a handful of people and was pleased to find that I could recover on the uphills if I kept my pace consistent. We crested the climb and had some amazing views of the ocean, then looped back around through the same valley we just left to return to the aid station at mile 11.

IMG 0087

Moving out across the valley.

IMG 0082

The second large climb of the day.

At the second aid station I downed some Coke and electrolyte mix and stopped to eat some potato chips and other food. This ultimately proved to be a poor choice and I was treated to some pretty bad stomach cramps soon after. I left the aid station and made a gradual climb that then dropped into some amazing single track and we descended into another valley. This would have been perfectly runable terrain for me, but between stomach cramps and side stitches I was reduced to a walk for most of it. Again I opted to fall in behind some other runners who were moving at a slow yet constant trot. This helped the cramps to pass without having to stop to walk. Down to the bottom of the valley we went and got the treat of yet another big climb. This was by far the hardest and least pleasant segment of the course. It was exposed and starting to get hot. Everybody near me was reduced to a walk as we made our way to the last aid station. This was also the only segment of the course where I started to run out of water. But I forced myself to eat 200 calories of GU chops, knowing I wouldn’t want to slow to a walk to eat during the last five miles.

IMG 0090

Beautiful easy runable single track... that I was walking on.

Finally we hit the last aid station at mile 16. I filled my water bottle, drank a few cups of electrolyte mix and headed out. I knew we had a 2 mile gradual climb up to the last three mile descent into the finish and I could really start to push. It was here that I began to realize my body was more depleted than I had assumed. My legs were perpetually on the verge of cramping and it became obvious that I needed more salt in my system. Unfortunately there was almost nothing I could do at this point to alleviate the cramps or discomfort so I decided just to run as fast as I could (it was more like waddling at this point). I was also motivated by the desire not to be passed by any other runners this close to the finish line. Given that this was supposed to be training run, and I’m consistently a back of the pack runner, this was a bit of a pyrrhic victory. But it got my butt moving so I’ll take it.

I ran hard, as hard as I could during those last three miles, and it hurt. But it was also amazing, and once I embraced that it was going to hurt it became much easier to ignore that little voice that tells you to slow down.

In the end I broke the tape in just over five hours. I got my medal and an awesome mug! I hobbled back to the car with the boyfriend who had brought me some watermelon and coconut water (best post-race snack ever!), he’s the best.

Overall it was a great race and I had an amazing time running with some new people, and despite pushing it pretty hard on the downhills I feel like I didn’t bury myself too much. I think this race really speaks to my running skills with steep climbs and gradual downhills I'm definitely going to be back next year, and maybe even tackle one of the longer distances (50k, 50m, or 100k).

I took Sunday as an active recovery day (walking and sea kayaking). And today I’ll do two foam rolling sessions in addition to an IF day. Tomorrow I’ll be back in the gym with a short run or some time on the elliptical followed by a quick body weight session.

Whatever this stomach bug is has taken a little longer to clear out that I would have liked, but I’m feeling probably 80% today so I’m all set to get back into training and make this week a sort of reverse taper.

This Saturday will be my first team running practice and I want to be feeling 100% for that, which means I’ll likely only do 3 workouts this week.

• Like 3

Love the pictures!  That sounds like an incredible race and despite not feeling great prior you had a great day.  Pretty awesome that it is a race you want to do again next year.  

How is the fasting going?  I like to do IF but got away from it for a few weeks.

Hi!

I'm super impressed by your stamina even while sick!  

I will be following your training as I'm also trying to fit in some weight work while foregrounding running (though at seriously lower distances than you!)

• Like 1

Level 6 Ranger

Current Challenge - Scrubs!

Previous Challenges - Theme-Free LazinessMedieval MarginaliaBrandon Sanderson's Way of Kings Theme - AgainWay of Kings 1Top Gear ThemeStargate SG:1 themeIron Druid theme!

2016 Battle Log (Long term goal tracking)

Oops I've been forgetting to post here, and I've been even worse about remembering to check in with other people challenges. Dang.

Ok,

Week 2 Day 1 (Monday).

Rest day with some foam rolling. First of two IF sessions for the week completed. Was hungry at points during the day, but I'm really glad I saw it through to the end. 3 points!

Week 2 Day 2 (Tuesday).

I woke up starving! Like so hungry it actually woke me up! Then I got in a very short (2mile) run, followed by like 1/2 a strength session. I could definitely tell my body was sore from the race. 2 points for training! 0 points for strength.

Week 2 Day 3 (Wednesday)

Hill repeats! I found a hill in my neighborhood that is 1/3 of a mile long and ran up that three times with a warm up and cool down after. I'd like to find something that is closer to 1/2 mile long but I'm not entirely sure that's possible given where I live. Still this hill is close to my house and a challenge for my skill and aerobic level. I'm inherently a better downhill runner (who isn't) so I want to spend the next few months really focusing on uphill power and building a strong aerobic engine. Train your weaknesses as they say. I did 15mins of strength primarily focusing on my glutes and core. 2 points for training! 0 points for strength.

Week 2 Day 4 (Thursday)

Today I did 25mins of yoga. I was all laced up to go run but realized I was pretty unmotivated to log some junk miles and my foot was weirdly slow so I opted for a quick yoga session instead. It was awesome! I don't want to get in the habit of ditching workouts and not doing at least some cardio. But I'm letting it slide this week because it's a race recovery week, and it's also the only off season I'll really have until after my race in April. Ehhh I guess we'll call this 2 points for training?

This is the video I found if anybody is interested: 

It's only a 25min session which makes me think I could definitely fit it in before bed. My flexibility is pretty terrible and I noticed during Ray Miller that my hip flexors and IT band were crazy tight by mile 15 which was effecting my running and slowing me down. If I can find these short little sessions online that I can do at home I think it will really help me incorporate more yoga/mobility/flexibility into my daily life and that can only benefit me.

Love the pictures!  That sounds like an incredible race and despite not feeling great prior you had a great day.  Pretty awesome that it is a race you want to do again next year.  

How is the fasting going?  I like to do IF but got away from it for a few weeks.

Thanks! IF is going really well so far (only a week or so in). For me IF is somewhat hard or at least harder than just eating normally, (I've never understood people who say they're not hungry during a fast. For me the hunger comes and goes, but I'll definitely be hungry. However, what I really need to remember is that IF works for me, and it's infinitely easier (IMO) than counting calories or trying to eat a caloric deficit on a daily basis.) One crazy thing happened on Monday evening when I was nearing the end of my fast I had this massive boost of energy, like I'd just woken up and chugged and entire pot of coffee energy boost, it was really fantastic. I guess that's what fat adapted people talk about? It was certainly a first for me.

• Like 1

When I was doing IF consistently (18 hours is my usual) I got used to a bit of hunger but it went away.  It always struck around the same time and if I buried myself in a project and before it I knew it time to eat.  But YES I found I consistently had massive boosts of energy and those were my most productive days at work.  As I went the energy boost seemed to be earlier and last for a long time.  I did it once this week and meant to today but didn't.  It took a week of doing it I think 3 times and then the following week the energy was insane.  Okay I am going to get back to it 3-4 days a week too.

I like that Yoga channel too.

When I was doing IF consistently (18 hours is my usual) I got used to a bit of hunger but it went away.  It always struck around the same time and if I buried myself in a project and before it I knew it time to eat.  But YES I found I consistently had massive boosts of energy and those were my most productive days at work.  As I went the energy boost seemed to be earlier and last for a long time.  I did it once this week and meant to today but didn't.  It took a week of doing it I think 3 times and then the following week the energy was insane.  Okay I am going to get back to it 3-4 days a week too.

I like that Yoga channel too.

awesomesue can I ask about your training schedule? I'd like to practice IF more often and maybe some days just skip breakfast (because honestly it feels l have to be incredibly diligent to lose any weight at all), but I'm interested to see if it would negatively impact my training schedule and ability to recover. Have you had any experience with that, either positive or negative? I know the warrior diet suggests fasting nearly every day and just eating one big meal. Thanks!

I do not eat until lunch when I do IF which is max 18 hours between dinner and lunch.  I am not a competitive runner but I love to run.  My training schedule really depends on my schedule for the day.  I get up around 4:20 and either bike extra miles (about 20), strength work, or ran, and then bike commute to work during the time of IF.  From there I could easily work 4-5 hours and if I did not get something done training wise knock it out at lunch before eating.  So my training is nothing like you are doing, at least not yet anyway.  :)  I have not had any impact on recovery the next day.  I usually alternate running one day and then strength the next.  Extra biking thrown in for fun and my usual bike commute.  I have read for women IF can be a mixed bag.  Mind you I am also 46 (okay 47 in 3 weeks) and we think peri-menopausal.  When I have consistently IF I had a bit more energy to get my workouts done and completed them more often in the morning.  My body responded well to doing this and when I wake up my body felt ready to go.  No long slow morning wind up for the day.  I was paleo about 4 days a week with some grains, beans, and potatoes the the other days.  I have done longer runs, for me, of 6-8 miles in a fasted state after being up a few hours but then I end up nauseous.  But not being as fast as you I am out there longer so that could be part of the nausea.  When I would eat then it was usually pretty small despite being hungry I felt full quickly.  Then 30-60 minutes  later I would eat the rest of my lunch and then dinner as usual.  Usually before heading home on my bike I grab my 3:30 apple.  I got in the habit of having an apple before I ride home from work.  Initially I started with wanting to do it on Monday and Tuesday.  After the first week things were crazy at work and I inadvertently did it on Wednesday as well.  After that I decided it was easy enough to do M-W and sometimes Thursday.  I did loose weight and had no negative.  I tracked my calories too and although I did eat less I still ate around 1350 calories with out trying.  

• Like 1

Wow @awesomesue! thanks for all the information. Honestly I haven't been diligent enough with my fasting in the past to really dial in what works for me and what doesn't, but the plan is to dial in a weight loss plan over the next few months and the switch to IF on fewer days as a means of maintaining.

Ok, so where have I been the last few days. I guess I'll wrap up the last week before starting this one.

Week 2 Day 5 - Friday

Today was a rest day from running although I did ride my bike to work. I also only performed a half-fast by skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner as normal.

Week 2 Day 6 - Saturday

First team practice! 10 miles out and back on a local trail. I know it's only the first practice but the team is awesome our coach is super cool and everybody is so so nice. I definitely pushed the pace a little more than I would have if I were just running on my own, which is a great thing. And on top of all that I wasn't last! Ok, so I was close to the last runner, but I was in fact not last.

Our coach has an interesting method of training and one that I'm excited to see how I respond to. Basically I should be pushing really hard during the week and then using the weekend long runs as "time on feet." This is essentially the opposite of what I'd been doing in the past where I prioritized the weekend long run and slacked off during the week if I was tired or unmotivated. I'll be interested to see how my body responds to harder training during the week.

Week 2 Day 7 - Sunday

Only workout for the day was a 90 min power hike. The boyfriend and I were out on a camping trip so we climbed Mt Ryan, 3 miles round trip 1200ft of gain. It's amazing how much slower hiking is than running. My legs felt decent today but I could sense a little soreness.

Week 2 Wrap Up:

Overall week 2 was ok. I did 1.5 days of fasting, and got in four workouts which is pretty perfect for a recovery week. Mileage was low this week with only 17.5 miles ran/hiked.

Food was ok for most of the week, and then pretty terrible over the weekend. I mean nothing like a massive cake and ice cream binge, but more like eating gluten free bagels and cream cheese instead of an apple and drinking more wine than is necessary. We were out in the desert for a weekend of climbing and relaxing after Saturday's practice, and my nutrition definitely could have been better. If I want to lose any weight this challenge I can't undo my IF by eating terribly on the other days.

Oh and I did like 30mins of strength training total all week.... fail. I need to be better this week.

Moving forward on to week 3! Eeek where is this challenge going!

Week 3 Day 1 - Monday

Today was a fasting day and a rest day. I did 25mins of yoga this morning before work and then broke my fast at 5pm with a snack, dinner will be shortly. I was tempted to do a strength training workout before dinner, but I want to stick with the plan and allow my body to fully rest today so I'll tack it on tomorrow after my hill session. Uhg that could be really brutal. Should be fun!

• Like 1

Still not a bad week!  You will be surprised that one meal or weekend does not break all the good you do with eating the rest of the week.  I used to feel like that too and then realized hey I am still loosing weight.  That trail run sounds so fun and what a great group!  I am interested to hear how that training works for you.

• Like 1

I'm so stoked right now! My two hardest workouts of the week are finished and I feel like a super duper bad ass :D

Yesterday was hills: 6x 1/3 mile up, jog/walk back down (+1/2 mile warm up and cool down) 4.25 miles total

(I actually really need to find a bigger hill for this, something closer to 1/2 to 1 mile up.

Finished up with 20mins of strength training.

5 Rounds 

20 bodyweight squats

10 push ups

5 Rounds

10 Glute Bridges

20 Bicycle crunches

Had some extra time and rounded it out with 30 second planks.

I can definitely tell I've lost some strength as I'm back to doing push ups on my knees. Damn.

Today was 7 miles at a hard effort in a fasted state. I saw some mile times that I haven't seen in a while and felt tired but happy at the end of the run. Finished up with some stretching before I had to head to work. Traditionally I'm nervous about hard running, assuming I won't be able to keep up the effort for more than a few hundred yards (former sprinter problems). But today I just accepted that running is hard, and it's going to hurt, but that if I want to get better and faster I need to put in the work. I also focused on the moment at hand, not the miles to come, and that put me in a really solid place.

I promise promise promise myself that I'll get my 20mins of strength in today during lunch! I packed my workout clothes, lunch, and we have a gym at work so I have zero excuse. I know it's not ideal to schedule my strength training sessions on concurrent days. But right now I'm aiming for completion, not perfection.

Tomorrow is a cross training day, so I can afford a double session where I push a little hard.

• Like 1

So very cool!  All of it.....just so cool!

I realized when doing the longest run I ever attempted that I was not going to hurt any more than I do at the moment and not end up any more tired.  As soon as I accepted it things improved.  Funny how that works.  No sweat you got this!  One things I hear around here all the time:  Progress not perfection.  So I would say you moving right along.

So running 7 miles in a fasted state.  How did you feel afterwards?  Times were good but any nausea?  Did you eat afterwards or some time later?  Curious to hear how that is going for you.  It is something I started again thanks to you.  Doing it 2-4 days a week.  Love the energy and how I feel.  Granted I do not fast as long as you nipping it at 18 hours max. 

• Like 1

Yes! BAM! Did it. Yatzee! I actually did a home workout for strength yesterday. I know, I know I said I'd go to the gym, but blah blah blah excuses, but at least I got something done. I focused on hips, glutes, and core before having dinner. This is huge for me, I can almost always talk myself out of afternoon workouts so I'm pretty happy with myself for getting this done.

Then this morning I did another strength workout after riding my bike to work. Today is a cross training day, so no running. Instead I'll bike to and from work (about an hour total) and I did 35mins of strength with kettle bells and some accessory core work as well.

Since I've been sick my weight has been all over the place despite having cleaned up my diet a good amount this week I'm actually higher than I was when I started this challenge. It's a little frustrating being further from my goal than when I started despite efforts to improve diet and training. A quick waste measurement from this morning reveals that metrics aren't changing either. However, I'm going to give it another few weeks (until end of challenge) to see if the scale starts moving in the right direction and if it's possible that my body is just in this weird flux state as it adjusts to a new training and eating regime.

Lastly, I've been working on putting on a more positive face at work. This goal is nearly impossible to quantify through the SMART guidelines that Staci outlines, but it's something I need to work on so I'm glad I'm focusing on it, even if it doesn't make for an obvious linear improvement path.

So very cool!  All of it.....just so cool!

I realized when doing the longest run I ever attempted that I was not going to hurt any more than I do at the moment and not end up any more tired.  As soon as I accepted it things improved.  Funny how that works.  No sweat you got this!  One things I hear around here all the time:  Progress not perfection.  So I would say you moving right along.

So running 7 miles in a fasted state.  How did you feel afterwards?  Times were good but any nausea?  Did you eat afterwards or some time later?  Curious to hear how that is going for you.  It is something I started again thanks to you.  Doing it 2-4 days a week.  Love the energy and how I feel.  Granted I do not fast as long as you nipping it at 18 hours max. 

Thanks awesomesue! 

I think you're spot on regarding pain and running. The body and the mind really want to avoid pain (generally a good thing) but if you just accept that running is hard then it suddenly becomes easier to push yourself a little. Also, I think most runners fall into the trap of thinking that running is easy for everybody except you. Which, is just plainly not true, knowing that running is hard for everybody means you're not bad at it, it's simply hard was a really helpful realization for me.

Running 7 fasted felt more or less fine. I think maybe taking a GU or something at mile 3 would have helped me finish off the second half of the run better, but it's hard to know really. When I run hard (but less than 2 hrs) I prefer to do it fasted with just some black coffee before since I find that a hard effort can upset my stomach a bit and not eating is one less thing to worry about. Plus, I'm not running long enough to burn through glycogen stores (90mins to 2hrs) so I don't really need the food to fuel. Afterwards I was hungry and I had to get to work so I had a quick breakfast of eggs and potatoes.

I feel like my energy all this week has been generally better despite only doing one 24hr fast on Monday. I like the idea of training fasted and then not having to eat straight away after unless I feel like it. So in terms of mood and energy I feel like fasting is really working for me! However, if you read above, fasting for weight loss has been a little ineffective so far. But I think it's too early to call it. I need a few weeks of super consistency to typically see progress.

• Like 2

Yeah I heard mixed reviews as to how much it may or may not help with weight loss for women.  Energy and convenience are big factors for me.  It is definitely all one big experiment to work out what is best for you.  I kind of go in spurts with it.  Maintain for a week or two and then drop weight and a decent amount.  It also depends on how much strength training fit in.  It all sounds like it is going well though.  

Your more positive face at work goal inspired me too.  Many of us do not slap on make-up (in labs and I smell bad at the end of a workday most days thanks to my labs) but lately there have been more tours of labs and things going on so in order to be a good representative I have taken to not wearing tshirts every day and I even freaked some people out with wearing a little make-up.  I have always gone for more natural looking make-up when I do but still it is not something folks are used to seeing.  Fewer headbands and more styling my hair some.  Finally getting it trimmed a couple weeks ago helped with that one. 

• Like 1