• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CuriousCat

Nerd Fitness Oxfam Trailwalker? (Sydney)

Even though I'm new, and nobody knows me yet, I wondered if this would be of interest to local Nerd Fitness folk.

I am very keen to enter the Oxfam Trailwalker event in 2016. It's a crazy challenge, done as a fundraiser for Oxfam, that involves walking 100km in 48 hours. The Sydney event is in August. (More information  - https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/sydney/

But it's done in teams of 4. I was wondering if anyone here was crazy enough to consider doing something like this with me? It would involve doing a bunch of training walks between now and then to be ready for it, of course, so don't worry if you think you couldn't walk 100km today - almost a year to get ready. I'm certainly not ready now. 

What do you reckon? If there's enough interest, we could consider setting a date for a (short!, couple of hours, say) practice walk for anyone to rock up to.

Just a heads up, your link didn't work for me.  I got dumped to the "oops" page.  I'll leave this one here, hopefully it works.  https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/sydney/trail/

I would love to do this, I don't think my fitness level is anywhere close to what it would take to get to 100km in 48 hours within a year.  If this is still going in 2017, it'd be more viable for me then if you come back to it in '17 as well!

On the flip side, this is definitely interesting for me and a goal I can set to build towards :D

Copy-paste fail. Thanks for telling me, I've fixed the link. 

That's a fair call. It's certainly a big challenge, and yes, Oxfam run it as a yearly thing. If there's enough interest in general, though, and we run practice walks (starting from short walks of an hour or two), I don't see any reason to limit them to the 4 people who think they might actually enter. So keep an eye on this thread - there could be some good times had.