Tourennatrix continues her BAMF training

tourennatrix

I almost didn’t do this challenge. I think it may have been the jetlag talking, but shortly after I arrived in France, I was pondering over how my last challenge was going and how to make my next challenge new and exciting and, well, challenging. I mean, the last few challenges have pretty much been (1) strength training, (2) running, and one other exercise-related goal, and a life quest. I felt like I pretty much had the pattern down.

tumblr_m595bdnBal1qbmw0xo3_250.gif

But it didn’t take too long to realize that I still needed the challenge to make sure I stayed on track. Yeah, maybe I would still go to all of my Capoeira classes, but having the motivation to do anything above and beyond that, while getting wrapped up in holiday markets and with winter right around the corner… That’s iffy.

As for new and exciting… Not going to happen really. I’m doing “more of the same†and revisiting old goals (not that my previous goals are uninteresting in any way- I mean, capoeira and handstands? Hells yeah!). But while some of it (at least to me) seems like injury prevention, it’s all aiming towards becoming a true BAMF and not breaking myself along the way.

First, let’s revisit my Main quest as it has shifted slightly since my recruit phase:

Main Quest: Feel better in my own skin. Currently, progress is being made not only by changing the physical composition of my body, but also by challenging my boundaries, stepping out of my comfort zone (sometimes into others’), and taking itty bitty steps to trust myself more.

Quest 1: BAMF Moves

7gilIlj.gif

I will of course be continuing capoeira into this challenge. Running is taking a back seat here, as doing that 3 days a week in conjunction with my classes was proving to be rather...painful. I’d still like to keep up some running, because Zombies, Run! is so fun to listen to, and because I still want to do 5Ks come spring time. I will be allowing for some lower impact HIIT to replace some of the runs and get my heart pumping- honestly, as much as HIIT hurts at the moment, I think that’s a sign that I really should be working on that more. Also one dedicated strength training/capoeira practice per week, which will likely include animal drills, crow, and handstand practice.

2 cardio/HIIT per week

2 capoeira classes per week

1 capoeira practice/strength training per week

2 STA | 3 STR | 2 DEX

Quest 2: BAMF Flexy

tumblr_static_tumblr_n0okjmbf8s1rpfx57o1

Partly because I sit in a chair all day and get stagnant and I just want to be able to move, and partly because I want to just improve at flexibility so I can capoeira better faster. Goals here are to improve shoulder & upper back flexibility to help get into bridge, limber up the wrists and forearms to prevent injury there, and work on the ever-stubborn hamstrings. I will be cataloging some go-to stretches for quick cool downs after workouts, as well as doing some dedicated work, likely in the form of yoga.

Short stretch after at least 3 of the “activites†during the week.

1 dedicated “flexy session†per week (likely yoga)

1 CON | 2 DEX

Quest 3: BAMF Eats

giphy.gif

This was going to be a repeat- just keep counting calories, but with a pseudo-side-quest of researching ideas on how to consciously change what we eat at home without increasing costs. Husband recently discovered how cheap and easy it was to make pizza and pasta from scratch and lets face it- rice is ultra cheap, and filling, and darn good. Well, I got bored yesterday and started poking around a bit, made an off-handed comment about the paleo "diet" to Husband and he said he'd be all for it as long as we were both all-in.

I pointed out that we had a cabinet full of french cookies and he agreed to one "cheat" day. 

I think the cheat day might move around a bit, rather than being a set day in the week. One day during every week (mon-sun), as long as there are not 2 cheat days together (except, maybe in the case of certain holiday shenanigans). Cheat day may end up being pizza/booze/game night (great for Saturdays) or romantic dinner out (not so great for Saturdays, we hate crowds and prefer restaurants on slow nights). 

I plan on continuing to track calories, if only for curiosity's sake. ALSO, I want to remember to take my supplements- cal/mag for keeping charlie horses at bay, and fish oils for all of the billions of things fish oils are for (Yeah, I'd like to incorporate actual fish into my diet, but it's expensive and/or not very good here in the midwest)

1 point per day eating Paleo.

1 point per day remembering to take my supplements.

1 WIS | 2 CON

Life Quest: BAMF Esprit

tumblr_mifc5l7Gxi1rrkbwwo1_500.gif

Stealing from a previous quest, I need to make sure I don’t lose myself over the next month or so. Between work (meh), exercise (yay!), and crochet/markets (I should be more excited about this than I am), it will be pretty easy to get sucked into it all. I will be making an effort to take at least a few minutes a day to do something that just makes me feel good about myself, aside from all of the above. Taking Atlas for a walk, spending time with the husband while not doing other things, meditation, taking a break from crochet to let my mind breathe, even skipping a workout without a penalty to points, all for sanity’s sake.

1 point per day

2 CHA

**OBSTACLES**

The holidays are upon us. Sort of. November is a pretty ridiculous month in my life with 3 birthdays the week of Thanksgiving. Plus we've got a wedding to go to on the Saturday before. Plus there's loads of stuff to do for the holiday markets. Food day(s) at work celebrating Thanksgiving (the week before), November birthdays (probably closer to the end of the month), the "holiday stroll" (two food days, one hosted by each half of the building in the first 2 weeks of December), and a team lunch for Christmas (where our team drives to a neighboring town and eats all the food, mid-December). This doesn't even touch on how much the holiday markets are going to be keeping me and my hands super busy. This is the importance of the Life Quest- As important as everything is, making sure I take some time to step back and breathe will be crucial.  

3a2a2178fe671fc13b721b5a7af438a2.jpg
  • Like 2

** Resources and Stats **

Sample Workouts

STA (HIIT)

20 sec Push up + sit out

10 sec Plank jump in

20 sec Basic burpee + jump tuck

10 sec Plank Jacks

STR

Homebrew:

“2 minute abs†(hollow holds)

Shoulder resistance band work

“Double Upâ€

Ball/standard/â€rins†push ups

Burpees

Lying leg raises

Knee extensions

Handstand

Crow

*or*

The TMNT workout

(I think it might be nice to one day be able to do the TMNT warm up almost daily Just Like Steve)

DEX

Yoga options:

Upper back

Hips/Hamstrings/Back

Hips/Hamstrings/Back (Deep release)

Hands/Wrists/Forearms

Hips

Post-workout options:

Lower back-hip-hamstring-calf-feet stretches

Upper back-chest-shoulders-neck stretches

Forearm-wrist-hand-finger stretches

Glad you stuck with it. Challenges are great even when you have a good solid workout pattern because they let you do MORE and encourage you to keep it up, especially when things might get tough, and ESPECIALLY when things change. Good luck! :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Thanks guys, I'm glad to be back! This week it doesn't feel like I need that much motivation to keep things going, but I think once it hits me with how far behind I am with my crochet work for the winter markets, I'm going to need something to make sure I keep things balanced. Oy.

Astronaut is taking time off school this month, so he has time to lead extra classes during the week. This means that tonight was my 3rd class in a row. Holy wow.

Monday's class I mostly went to because I missed it and because I needed something to keep me awake so I could try to fix jet lag faster. That didn't really work, but class was fun. Despite doing a million and one compassos, I wasn't all that sore the next day. We started learning "esquivas in 3" which is a fancy way of saying "escape from a kick while you're still in the middle of doing your compasso." We learned a hop-out method that is super easy, and a 'breakdown' which was super fun. On day 2 of my 'making up for lost time' class spree, we continued the theme trading compassos and eventually working towards what will eventually become a backwards fall directly out of the kick. We didn't get to put that one into practice because the move we need to get down for that to work puts a lot of pressure on the knees (at least until you get good at it) and requires a lot of trust that you can fall backwards onto your hand and not jack up your shoulder and knee in the process. 

Today we switched things up a bit and I learned my first takedown. I did horribly, but I at least sort of got it... ish! Instead of trying to get away from the kick, I had to learn to duck in really close to my opponent's supporting leg and squat until just the right moment to throw my hands out in specific directions, catch the legs, and stand up. This is HARD. Astronaut was pretty good at it, except the one time he stood up too fast and sent me flying onto one shoulder (I'm pretty sure I'm fine :P ). I... have a lot to learn. Like how to squat with a straight spine and still keep my head out of the way when there's a leg flying at me, and how to step in close enough to be able to reach his ankle without bending over (augh personal space!!). At least I wasn't headbutting people in the belt today. The down side is that practicing takedowns is rather hard to do without a partner, and my only readily available victim is 4 months pregnant. (I suppose there's also Husband, but he weighs a fair bit more than Astronaut and I think I'd like to preserve my knees and spine for class thankyouverymuch). But I can at least practice the movement and visualizing the situation.

Surprisingly enough, my body has been handling this pretty well so far. I had almost zero soreness yesterday morning. This morning I had a fair bit of soreness in my upper back and shoulders because we also practiced au and kick ups, but that was easily remedied by the upper back yoga sequence that I have fallen so madly in love with. We'll see what tomorrow has in store after 3 classes. 

On that note, I'm going to go pass out. I might (hopefully, finally) be on the tail end of the jetlag horror story!

• Like 2

It has come to my attention that I have absolutely zero concept of what "normal" weights are for anyone, particularly dudes. In Wednesday's class, Astronaut and Giraffa were bantering about their weight (I have no idea what brought this up) but according to their conversation Giraffa was proudly sitting in the 180s (He's fairly tall and used to be scrawny apparently) and Astronaut was hovering around 155 (He's a little taller than I am, and G told him to go eat some cheeseburgers). With zero concept of what this actually meant, I made a socially awkward sadface and said nothing because I, at 5'3", have been in the mid 150s since I started tracking back in August. I think at one point prior to this I may have gotten up to 160 which was one of the catalysts to actually take control of what I was doing with my body. I kindof wanted to chime in on the conversation, but I guess I'm fairly shy about talking about my goals and methods in person with folks who might have (strong) differing opinions. Probably just my brain making a big deal out of the situation (I'm sure they would have been totally supportive in their own way) but whatevs.

I don't think I've ever posted any actual numbers as far as current weights & measures vs goals, and part of that is because I never really knew what was realistic, but here goes:

Currently 151.7lb @ 5'3"

Goal: "125 plus however much muscle I gain in my attempt to get there, stop/adjust when happy"

*at the beginning of college I think I was at 125, and I think certain weight charts say that that is target. However, I'm not sure if I trust it (don't want to go starved rabbit mode to get there). Also, I expect on a fair deal of muscle during this transition, but have no idea how much that will raise my target weight. 

So basically, I guess I'm monitoring my weight mostly out of curiosity and for tracking, but my goal is nowhere near set in stone. It's more of a changing shape kind of goal. I've read a bunch on body fat % and as curious as I am, and how much the analytical part of my brain really wants to track stuff, I cannot put a number to it. it would drive me bonkers. Based on the photos floating around I'd say I'm currently in the 25-30% range and aiming for ~22%? Essentially... I think I'm on the right track.. I at least I have done a lot of reading lately, and I have an idea of what needs to change in my diet to make it happen, and... I'll know I'm at my target weight/body fat when I get there. 

but guys are still an enigma :P

• Like 2

I love your mindset about weight/target weight.  It is mostly about where you feel comfortable.  I really like your main quest "feel better in your own skin" too.  I may have to adapt it for my own goals. 

Thanks for the inspiration!   Merci pour l'inspiration!

Following Doodle. :)

level 3 Hobbit - Assassin

Alchemist - transforming myself one day at a time.

"Wit beyond measure is mans greatest treasure." - Ravenclaw

Current challenge: River Tackles the Basics

Previous: #1#2

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%

I love your mindset about weight/target weight.  It is mostly about where you feel comfortable.  I really like your main quest "feel better in your own skin" too.  I may have to adapt it for my own goals. 

Thanks for the inspiration!   Merci pour l'inspiration!

Following Doodle. :)

De rien :) Your Doodliness has me curious and I'll admit I'm a little tempted, however I must resist your Doodlie ways for a little while longer as I am going to be SO DAMN BUSY through the end of the year you have no idea. :P

• Like 1

PLOT TWIST

Husband and I have decided (almost on a whim) to go ahead and give this mostly paleo thing a shot. I'll be adjusting my challenge accordingly (and adding in "cheat days" as needed- November is a rather eventful month with thanksgiving, 3 birthdays, and a wedding (all within a week). Oy!

• Like 1

Currently 151.7lb @ 5'3"

Height buddies! I'm the same height. :P

PLOT TWIST

Husband and I have decided (almost on a whim) to go ahead and give this mostly paleo thing a shot. I'll be adjusting my challenge accordingly (and adding in "cheat days" as needed- November is a rather eventful month with thanksgiving, 3 birthdays, and a wedding (all within a week). Oy!

Melissa Joulwan is a life saver when it comes to making Paleo tasty. She's had her thyroid removed and has made eating Paleo/Whole30 most of the time a way of life for her, and she has some excellent strategies. Her books are great too, but a good deal of her recipes are on her website. 

OH! There's an International Capoeira Festival in my town this coming weekend. My husband found out and will most likely THROW ME there, as I keep talking about wanting to give it a try. So, we might be going! I'm equally excited and nervous!

Height buddies! I'm the same height. :tongue:

Melissa Joulwan is a life saver when it comes to making Paleo tasty. She's had her thyroid removed and has made eating Paleo/Whole30 most of the time a way of life for her, and she has some excellent strategies. Her books are great too, but a good deal of her recipes are on her website. 

OH! There's an International Capoeira Festival in my town this coming weekend. My husband found out and will most likely THROW ME there, as I keep talking about wanting to give it a try. So, we might be going! I'm equally excited and nervous!

Oh man oh man oh man GO!! I had so much fun at the workshop I went to, and there were a few people who I think hadn't even tried it at all before and I think they had a blast too. I warn you though, If you go and you like it, you will not be able to stop ;)

As far as paelo is concerned, we're not too concerned with regular meals- my husband is a pretty big foodie and is super versatile in the kitchen. My biggest concerns are cost (we aim for organic veggies and "happy meats" whenever possible. removing "fillers" of pasta and rice and replacing it with more expensive meats and veggies... esh) and breakfast (I typically don't get hungry in the morning until it's time to bolt out the door). I will definitely take a peek at that link though because Husband always appreciates when I participate in the kitchen, coming up with ideas and such :)

• Like 1

You guys I don't get it. 

On my last weigh-in before I went to France, I was at 153 lbs even. I ate all of the croissants and bread and a fair bit of pasta and some candy and a lot of cookies, and generally didn't exercise a whole lot. For my first measurements when I got back, I had just started my period so I expected to be bloaty on top of all of that... and I was down to 151.7 and I had gained a bit on my measurements. This last week I was jet lagged, tired, emotionally distraught, and was eating like an ass. Cookies, crackers at work, a soda, candy that coworkers brought in... you name it, I shoved it down my throat. I did do 3 capoeira classes early in the week, but not a whole lot else, and certainly not a lot over the weekend. And I dropped 2 lbs and 1.25 inches.

WAT.

In other news, I prepared another video (yay!) showing the status of some of my abilities and limitations, so I have something to reference when I want to check how I've improved. There were a few clips that I'd like to have redone differently, but limited space and time, etc. Regarding the clip when I was trying to hang out in Crow pose- the first part was my second attempt. The second part, I was actually doing a pretty good job but my friend didn't hit record until I biffed it. *THUMBS UP!*

And now... LET'S JAM

letsjam.jpg

• Like 1

Oh man, that is such a cool idea -- a video reference for so many things. So awesome.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Don't sweat it! Just go with it; that means you're making some awesomely good changes in the long run! Also, good luck on your first official challenge day!

I love your video reference idea; I'd been thinking about doing something similar with my PT. As for the festival, I emailed the school and they warned that the workshops would be too advanced for a beginner, so they suggested attending their performance and belt ceremony on Saturday, and linked to their GroupOn, 10 classes for $35. I MIGHT NEED TO TRY IT.

Don't sweat it! Just go with it; that means you're making some awesomely good changes in the long run! Also, good luck on your first official challenge day!

I love your video reference idea; I'd been thinking about doing something similar with my PT. As for the festival, I emailed the school and they warned that the workshops would be too advanced for a beginner, so they suggested attending their performance and belt ceremony on Saturday, and linked to their GroupOn, 10 classes for $35. I MIGHT NEED TO TRY IT.

DOIT. As fun as it was to participate, honestly one of my favorite parts of being there was... being there. watching the roda. I'm not sure how close you get to be with 'attending' the performance, but if you get to be part of the circle, clap and sing along as best you can at the top of your lungs (or, well, follow their lead :P ) and that is a really awesome deal for classes from what I've seen. Do it! Do it! Do it! 

• Like 1

Nice video! And I wouldn't worry about small fluctuations like that, just track of the trends. Especially for women it can go up and down a fair bit.

Man, I know... I make sure to measure in the most "uniform" way possible (first thing in the morning, every monday), but it's just boggling how the numbers are behaving now (after 3 weeks of not caring) versus when I was actually trying and was stuck at exactly the same weight for a solid month. Not even a decimal off. I was getting a little concerned that my scale had broken! So amused and confused :P

Training Log (Day 1)

Not quite as much of a blast from the gates as I was hoping but that's okay. Capoeira class was canceled, so I spent part of the evening floundering between "do I practice on my own or do I make up for lost time crocheting for the weekend?" I ultimately opted for the latter because I think I'll be going to class on wednesday to make up for not going yesterday. God this week is going to be so chaotic.

So I didn't get any points for activity but I did get points for FOOD and ESPRIT! Husband made paleo protein bars that tasted amazing (for the rush between work and class), I actually ate a real breakfast, and all of my meals were really filling (I could almost not finish my breakfast and dinner... which I figure after the fact means I probably should have stopped, but historically, I eat smaller meals and then snack during the day... and if I snack (or resist snacking too much) I'm more likely to fall back and ask for crackers from a co-worker)

My ESPRIT moment of the day was taking time to write in my journal- more than what I can do on my 15 minute breaks at work. I keep realizing WAY too late in the day that there's crap going on in my head that needs to get written down and looked at, and then I don't have time to actually do anything about it because I'm passing out. Last night I wrote. It felt good.

Oh man, that is such a cool idea -- a video reference for so many things. So awesome.

Can I just tell you how happy it makes me that you are an "alot assassin"? The Alot is one of my favorite creatures ;) I've got a picture of an alot on my desktop at work so I can snicker when people invoke the alot instead of teasing them about it XD

almost grabbed a french cookie while waiting for lunch to be served up, without even thinking about it. Almost. Then I thought "Wtf, no that's not allowed, also, food is being served literally 2 feet to your left, why are you trying to eat a cookie."

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of lunch (roast beef and cabbage. I'll eat it certainly but it's not my favorite) or maybe it's because they were just there (there are only so many places a cookie can hide in this house). Old habits die hard, and french cookies are freaking delicious. I'll be hitting up the fruit bowl on my way back to work.

Also, breakfast this morning was paleo pancakes (because I just couldn't stomach more eggs for breakfast after yesterday for some reason). I have decided to rename "paleo pancakes" to "scrambled banana". Tasty, but weird.

• Like 1

Training Log (Day 2)

Temptation reared its ugly head, but I stayed the course. No french cookies shall be devoured this day!

When I woke up this morning, I really really really wanted to go for a run but i could not gather the umf to get out of bed. I made up for it by doing a core + HIIT session: 1 set of 2 Minute Abs, 3 rounds of the HIIT sequence (the first time I tried it with push up-sit outs, then the other 2 I just did them from plank), and finished with another round of 2 minute abs. Form deteriorated fairly quickly but I managed to make it through the sequence with only minimal giving up. That's progress over just doing 2 HIIT sequences last week (and not even throwing in the ab work)

My shoulders are talking to me again. Nicely this time at least. They're reminding me that they are not as strong as I think they are, and I really need to be more careful when deciding to crawl my feet up the wall or throw down a crow, or whip out a standard push up out of the blue when I really haven't done one in a long, long time. As tedious as it is, I need to remember my PT drills and isolate some shoulder strength so I don't end up hurting myself again. (So far so good. It doesn't hurt, just feels...weak. I don't like feeling weak.)

Class tonight was AMAZE-BALLS. It ended up just being me and Astronaut, so we spent a fair portion of the time doing "mirror drills" where, facing each other, he would do a sequence of movements, and I would follow along about a beat behind. We strung together a lot of movements like that, then he had me lead. This is apparently phase 2 of the learning process- phase one is watch & copy, phase 2 is piecing movements together while not following (ie, actually thinking about what you're doing). Phase 3 is being able to do the movements while the other player is dancing around doing their own thing and occasionally throwing kicks. (I just made these phases up, but it seems pretty spot on for learning a lot of things, eh?). I could do phase 1 all day. Phase 2 was interesting and despite my brain shutting off from time to time and having to take numerous water breaks (so exhausted, whyyy) I feel like I did a really good job. This is the point where I typically flounder with a lot of things, so it was really exciting that I actually seem to be making progress with this specifically. Phase 3 was hilarious. At the end we did a few mini jogos (games), and I tell you what, once you're facing someone who's moving around doing their own thing, all concentration on all the awesome things you just learned in phase 1 and 2 just go straight out the window. There were a few rounds where I was at least able to move a little bit, but the last few he ended up kicking me to the ground (gently) because I kept not moving because I had started second guessing everything. BUT IT WAS TOTALLY FUN. 

I totally remembered to stretch after class, and this morning after my HIIT session, I did the wrist/forearm yoga thingy because my wrists have been a little upset with me since I filmed that video on saturday. I mean, It had been a long time since I had tried a handstand and crow before then. Must be kind to my joints so they can help me do awesomethings!!!

I think I'm underestimating my caloric intake (tracking home made food is harrrrd) or overestimating how many calories I burn practicing capoeira, probably both, but seeing things like this makes me amused:

e1457d13-bf44-497b-9c2d-e0611e1aa877.png

...I'm not sure why I have ads in Spanish but ok. There's still one or 2 things I need to add in, but it won't change much. And either way, I know from experience that I am going to be STARVING when I wake up. I think that's just how it goes when you do such intense exercise this late in the day. I just can't eat any more right now, so my body will be all "dude, you be crazy, get up and feeeeed meeeee"

... And the above paragraph is me descending into delirium. Time for bed, after:

My happy/sanity moment of the day was spending some time working on a picture I had thought was finished but which in fact needed a little more work. I think it's actually done now, and that gives me gladness. 

Goodnight world!

• Like 1

That sounds like an awesome session and yay for taking care of the angry parts of your body. :D

Alots 4 life.

Raptron, alot assassin

Training Log (day 3 & 4)

I had to skip Capoeira on Weds to allow time to prepare for the big market this weekend. This gave me sadness, but I had my happy moment of the day by insisting that Husband and I eat dinner together, since my working for the market tends to have me locked in my own room for most of the time that I'm actually home. We've hardly seen each other for the last 2 weeks... ugh. 

Today was therapy day (first in a month, I was so ready for this) which meant getting up super early for work. I want to say that therapy was my happy moment for the day, but I think the drive home was. I intentionally took my time getting home because I had a lot of crap rolling around in my head. 

Paleo has been sticking so far, but the stress of the week is starting to show. Neither of us have any time to cook or wash dishes and we're down to one oven (which is going to be occupied for a good long portion of the next few days. Things are looking grim! I managed to resist quite a few temptations today (It's so easy to get an evil evil snack on the drive home from therapy, and I almost hung out at the mall chowing down on Panera. I'm trying to make an educated decision on whether my cheat day should be tomorrow or Saturday. I was hoping to wait until Saturday, but....

Tomorrow I have to be at work at 7am, working straight through until 3 (no lunch break) so I can get all of our stuff set to sell when the trade fair opens at 5pm... until 10. There's a restaurant near the market we could hit up that looks paleo friendly, but I'm more concerned with the first half of the day. Totally doable if we'd been prepared enough, but... eh. I guess if I break paleo tomorrow I'll just have to do it wisely or something. 

**forgot to mention that on top of timing chaos, There will be so many croissants, including some new ones i haven't tried yet and he'll probably never make again... maybe tomorrow is going to be cheat day...

Cardio and flexy are taking a serious back seat to the week's chaos. Shame. I'll make up for it on Sunday when I'm making up for lost jumps for the mini challenge ;)

• Like 1