Juice Bar

Blaidd

Katana, no question. Save the fuel for cutting actual wood. I figure infrastructure collapse will kill more people than the actual zombies. It gets damn cold up here.

My ballpark estimate is that for an untrained person, killing zombies with a chainsaw is 3x easier than with a sword.

Cutting down trees with a chainsaw is... damn... For a big tree? WAY easier than with an axe or hand saw. Easily more than 3x. For an untrained person with mediocre tools, I'd say 10x or more.

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #21 Baby Steps

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD D:

Secondly do we have a special chat for our recruits where we can easily chat and all?

and thirdly

HEY EVERYONE :D

Not specifically for Recruits, but there is a general chat room.  You'll see the link in the tabs at the top of this page. 

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

For the katana chainsaw qeustion. 
I would definitely take the katana for above stated reasons, It is light weight, if you have a good one it is durable and i sort of know ho to maintain it.
Plus i have a little sister who trained with them so she can actually teach me when we are in a safe place how to use them in a most efficient way.

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

Hi!

Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but in Blaidd's example challenge format, it looks like the points, if they got all A's, add up to 15 (+3 STA +2 STR, +3 CON, +3 WIS +2 CON, +2 CHA), but in this thread there seems to be a confusion about whether the points add up to 14 or 15 at the end of the first challenge. Would anyone be able to clarify please.?

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Dumbledore

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Intro | Battle Log1st 6wc

Weight Loss Goal - Starting Weight: 124kg, Goal: 73kg, Weight Loss Required: 51kg total

16.6%
16.6%

Healthy Meals Repertoire - Stage 1, Learn 28 meals

35.7%
35.7%

LeftRadical in my opinion it is 15 because Blaid her post is more recent and she is the recruits guild leader, but for confirmation you will have to ask her. I know i am going to use 15 points :D

On Another note i edited my challenge for the last time, i would love it if Blaid had a look at it if she had any comments on it.

• Like 1

Hi!

Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but in Blaidd's example challenge format, it looks like the points, if they got all A's, add up to 15 (+3 STA +2 STR, +3 CON, +3 WIS +2 CON, +2 CHA), but in this thread there seems to be a confusion about whether the points add up to 14 or 15 at the end of the first challenge. Would anyone be able to clarify please.?

it is 15.  I think that was a typo of someone very tired at the time ;)

LeftRadical in my opinion it is 15 because Blaid her post is more recent and she is the recruits guild leader, but for confirmation you will have to ask her. I know i am going to use 15 points :D

On Another note i edited my challenge for the last time, i would love it if Blaid had a look at it if she had any comments on it.

Will give it a look in and comment there :)

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks very much Rab397 and Blaidd! My challenge is also up, if Blaidd has time would it be possible to have a look? I'm keen to make sure the quests are realistic (particularly quest 3). Thanks!

Level 0 Faun Adventurer

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Dumbledore

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Intro | Battle Log1st 6wc

Weight Loss Goal - Starting Weight: 124kg, Goal: 73kg, Weight Loss Required: 51kg total

16.6%
16.6%

Healthy Meals Repertoire - Stage 1, Learn 28 meals

35.7%
35.7%

Question! So I was comparing the L1 guidebook and what staci posted about attribute points for Recruits, and she said that at the end of the 6 weeks we can give out 4 attribute points, while the guidebook says we give out 5. Which is correct?

Ignore this first question, I went back and read the previous posts that said it will add up to 15 total :)

Also the 10 points that we get at the halfway point, are those based on our skills that we already have or are those based on our goals as well?

Thanks!

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

Question! So I was comparing the L1 guidebook and what staci posted about attribute points for Recruits, and she said that at the end of the 6 weeks we can give out 4 attribute points, while the guidebook says we give out 5. Which is correct?

Ignore this first question, I went back and read the previous posts that said it will add up to 15 total :)

Also the 10 points that we get at the halfway point, are those based on our skills that we already have or are those based on our goals as well?

Thanks!

The rules changed a few years ago. Once you got starting points. But now you allocate all 15 points according to your goals.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Guys i need some help.

At the end of this month one of our friends has her birhtday and she invited us to come over. The only problem is there will be 1. Snacks, 2 Energy drinks, 3 soda, 4 deep fried food, 5 alcohol.
Part of my challenge is no candy and soda, so 3 out of 5 i can't even touch and to be honest deep fried food and alcohol aren't that much of a good choice either. 
I am prone to social Drinking and eating, this is a situation where both are catered. How can i deal with the situation and not be a buzzkill?

Would it be possible/acceptable for you to bring your own food? Maybe you could even make a whole bunch of some form of healthier snacks that everyone at the party could share. We have some friends who are vegetarian but always host/attend cookouts with us, and they both bring their own main dish (like vegetarian hot dogs, burgers, or marinated tofu) as well as something like a southwest egg roll that is mostly black beans and corn. They make enough that everyone can have some.

If you did something like that, you could be sticking with your goals as well as contributing to the event. Hope this helps.

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Definitely try to bring your own food if you can.  I like to make hummus (everyone loves hummus!) and bring veggies with it. 

As for the drinks, whenever I go out and am around people but don't want to drink, I will usually order a club soda with a little grenadine, or maybe some tea - looks like a drink but fools people really easily.  Then, just be your normal self and no one will even know or care :D

• Like 1

Bringing food is a great idea, or figure out a way to handle what you can have. For example, if you know they're going to have fried chicken, figure out a way you can structure the rest of your day so eating one piece of fried chicken doesn't completely break your goal. Maybe you have a lighter lunch than normal or cut out whatever other snacks you have during the day to make "room" for the calories. And then stick to having just the one piece! This method generally makes me feel better because I know I can participate, just not to the extent I would have otherwise perhaps.

Conversely, my mom will often eat a big meal before she goes somewhere because she's better able to restrain herself when she's already decently full. If that works for you, it seems to be a pretty smart idea too!

As for drinks, get a dark colored cup to carry around. I don't drink anywhere near as much as many of my friends, but not drinking always seems to draw a bunch of questions I don't want to have to deal with. Putting something like lemonade in a dark colored cup blocks them from seeing what I have (it seems to be a very out of sight, out of mind thing for many people) and it still tastes more "interesting" than regular water all night long. Just make sure it's not the pre-made stuff - sometimes those are worse than sodas with all the added sugar!

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Tackles Her 37th Year

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

It is important to consider both the buzzkill factor (the social awkwardness, etc) and also the temptation. Doing things to keep people from noticing your healthy eating helps reduce temptation, because you don't have well-meaning fried chicken eating friends telling you to "Loosen up! Live a little! It's a party!" but it doesn't change the fact that you are surrounded by tasty stuff you don't want to be eating.

I don't eat sweets, and it is really hard to have them all over the place. If there is anything going on besides sitting around and eating, like games or something, I'd try to focus on that. I'd also bring some healthy stuff, eat plenty of it, and wait as long as possible before having my one piece of fried chicken. 

As for the drinks, whenever I go out and am around people but don't want to drink, I will usually order a club soda with a little grenadine, or maybe some tea - looks like a drink but fools people really easily.  Then, just be your normal self and no one will even know or care :D

I'll second the recommendation of club soda, seltzer, or sparkling mineral water. I like the mineral water straight, but here in New England you can find at least a dozen flavors of unsweetened seltzer. (However, most of the "sparkling water beverages" are basically clear diet soda. Blech. I've bought those by mistake a few times.) We'll bring flavored seltzer with us to parties, and just stick it with the rest of the soda.

My go-to at bars is club soda with a a wedge of lemon or lime or a splash of orange juice. Club soda with lime looks like gin and tonic. (Though don't get plain tonic. It has nearly as much sugar as regular soda.)

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #21 Baby Steps

Ooo, I love willpower challenges like this. All the suggestions above are great, here's some psychology to go with it.

First: If you really don't want to have anything there, Term it as "I don't eat this" vs. "I can't eat this." for the next few days. You gain about a 50% resistance buff according to the literature*

Second: Delay discounting -> when you feel weak, give yourself Five minutes. Say "if i still really want it in 5 minutes, I'll allow myself to have it."  And if 5 minutes later you want it, have it. Your challenge is important, but so is your sanity. With that said, studies have showed that delaying gratification can make it way easier to resist it.

Third: Glucose dope -> This is a weird one. It's shown that having an increase in blood-sugar levels can help restore willpower. I don't recommend using that as a reason to jug a coke, BUT definitely have a few sips of fruit juice or some other simple sugar. 

This is hotly debated right now, but its suggested that the brain relates "Loss of blood glucose" as a very negative thing, which makes our lovely lizard brains crave some form of gratification. Consider this advice "Subjectively under review"

Finally: The true challenge is making a conscious choice. If you choose the party, THATS OK.  It just means after to choose to return to the challenge. 

• Like 6

"You can do it. I believe in you."

Logs: (insert here)

Challenge: (n/a until next starts)

What's up, fellow recruits? I stumbled across Nerd Fitness earlier today and decided to jump in on this challenge. Off to write up my goals!

• Like 5

SAIYAN WARRIOR

My Character

Battle Log

Body Weight Goal

12%
12%

Starting Weight: 223lbs      Current Weight: 220lbs      Goal Weight: 198lbs

Short Term Powerlifting Total Goal: 1300lbs

89%
89%

Current Total: 1155lbs

Current Squat: 425lbs      Current Bench Press: 285lbs      Current Deadlift: 445lbs