• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MrsVan

elizevdmerwe: Amazon-Mom heads back to the bush

Once again Amazing Amazon mom in full action :)

That cake looks awesome, can't blame the boy for not settling for less and am just so glad my kids didn't get to see this :D

Ah yes traditional Sunday braais in SA, I do miss those. It's late Autumn with us now and no good for barbecues in Germany... which doesn't mean my hubby wouldn't be tempted...

Hope, it doesn't go like this with you :P

When a man volunteers to do the barbecue, the following chain of events is put into motion:

1. The woman buys the food.

2. The woman makes a salad, prepares vegetables, and makes dessert.

3. The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

4. THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

5. The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.

6. The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

7. THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

8. The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

9. After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

10. Everyone PRAISES THE MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11. The man asks the woman how she enjoyed her night off and, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing her.

• Like 5

that's a great cake. 

Amazon mom indeed.   :D

Thank you! Adam said it was "Awesome!"

Once again Amazing Amazon mom in full action :)

That cake looks awesome, can't blame the boy for not settling for less and am just so glad my kids didn't get to see this :D

Ah yes traditional Sunday braais in SA, I do miss those. It's late Autumn with us now and no good for barbecues in Germany... which doesn't mean my hubby wouldn't be tempted...

Hope, it doesn't go like this with you :tongue:

Unfortunately we rained out, but as water is so scarce and our province is on the verge of being declared a drought area, we didn't complain. So I had to cook the meat in the oven.

LFD - Yip, the women prepare the salads, etc. when we are a group of friends who get together, and hubby and the men, sit with their beer (hubby has a glass of wine) next to the fire, but when it is just the family it is a very relaxed affair! I have one salad, either bought from Farmer's Market, or made myself, and no dessert, as hubby and the boys prefer ice cream from the truck that normally comes by. If they can't have ice cream, and it isn't raining, they settle for melting marshmallows over the fire, with long fondue forks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Today sped by like a herd of Springbok on the move!

springbok.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

It started off with birds singing at 4am! They really need to learn to read the time, or at least wait for the sun to come up! I luckily fell asleep again, but then overslept. Hubby didn't wake me up when he left for gym, so I missed the Aikido time. I did however manage to read some more. And the rest of the day also sped by in a blur. I started with book orders and writing up invoices this morning, stopped quickly to help a friend whose bakkie broke in front of our house yesterday. He and another friend came to tow it away, went to town and came back and most of the day was gone! I also forgot to set reminders on my phone for the exercises, so I worked through my exercise time this afternoon. Other than feed the boys in between, and working, I only realised what the time was when hubby came home early from work. On a positive note - this is the biggest orders in the two years since I started importing the books - 8 boxes! +- 80 books!

NOTE TO SELF: Set timers on cellphone! - DONE.

The Harmoney of Aikido and the Mind:

"Aikido is not concerned merely with relationships between people; it is a form of training in which the aikidoka learns to harmonise with nature through the practice of natural techniques. A movement that is awkward or forced cannot be aikido."

Going to practice the "posture" now, because everyone has gone to bed all of a sudden and I'm left in the peaceful quiet!

• Like 2

Found you, and following along :)

Belated happy birthday for your son! I hope he had a great day. (The cake looks amazing!)

So glad your joining! Thank you, and thank you for the wishes.

By the way, I had a good time dancing a bit to Dirty Dancing just now ;)

• Like 1

Is that Afrikaans in that video?

No, I think it is Swedish. I was just looking at the foot movements, and general body position. I learn better from videos than the pictures in the books.

• Like 1

Awesome cake, Amazon Lady!!!!  I remember those days well.

How's aikido practice going?

I missed the morning session yesterday but made up for it last night by studying and practising stance and foot movements. Also did some wrists/hands which hubby helped me with this morning. I really like it, but can see that I'm going to need to practice a lot with hubby at some stage.

• Like 1

Aikido FTW!  I know my interest was peaked after watching the latest episode of The Walking Dead.  Morgan (and Eastman) inspired me to put "The Art of Peace" on hold at the library and I even looked to see if there were any beginner Aikido classes in my area.  Funny where the inspiration comes from sometimes.

giphy.gif

It's a good episode on it's own (Here's not here)!  

Good luck with your Aikido self-practice and the rest of your challenge! 

• Like 1

Aikido FTW!  I know my interest was peaked after watching the latest episode of The Walking Dead.  Morgan (and Eastman) inspired me to put "The Art of Peace" on hold at the library and I even looked to see if there were any beginner Aikido classes in my area.  Funny where the inspiration comes from sometimes.

Good luck with your Aikido self-practice and the rest of your challenge! 

Ja, now that I'm focussing on it, I hear about so many people doing martial arts in some kind of form. Another mom in our Playball group is doing Jujitsu with her daughter at a club. Thanks, hope you come right with some classes.

Another video which I found very helpful last night, where I picked up the hands/wrists warm up:

Part 2 later in the video shows a good movement step-pivot-step which I also practised a lot last night. Will do again tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

so cool to see you excited about aikido!

I'm always a little freaked out about the wrist and arm bars, because my martial art is so solid and straight forward, and yikes, joints. aikido seems to be super effective :)

• Like 2

so cool to see you excited about aikido!

I'm always a little freaked out about the wrist and arm bars, because my martial art is so solid and straight forward, and yikes, joints. aikido seems to be super effective :)

Aikido is all about movement - keep moving, usually in a circular motion, use the "attacker's" strength and momentum against him.  I've hurt my wrists so many times doing diy, just picking up the boys at night, that I'm sometimes afraid to do something because ouch! will I hurt my wrists again. So I am super glad that they'll improve and get stronger now.

• Like 2

In the time i did JJ there was a guy who had always done aikido. Damn, he had some grip strength, i remember practicing holds and chokes with him and going home with blue arms and wrists. I really like the way aikido looks when you look at demonstrations, same way i like capoeira. Looks like you had some fine days!

• Like 3

In the time i did JJ there was a guy who had always done aikido. Damn, he had some grip strength, i remember practicing holds and chokes with him and going home with blue arms and wrists. I really like the way aikido looks when you look at demonstrations, same way i like capoeira. Looks like you had some fine days!

Think I'm giving myself blue arms and wrists doing the wrists exercises! My fingers are quite strong, but not my wrists. I haven't heard of capoeira before, so googled it. I love watching flowing movements, or others exercise. When we just got married hubby played league squash and I always had to sit and watch their form. Even though I couldn't play at all, I was very good at noting little mistakes, form problems, etc. when I knew what to look for. The same when hubby practised for swimming competitions. At that stage I still went to gym, and while I was on the treadmill on the first floor, I looked down at hubby in the pool on ground floor. Afterwards I always had to tell him what it looked like, etc.

I was so upset yesterday at the pet shop: someone sold their adult male Bearded Dragon to the shop last week, just before I got there to buy worms for our own Beardie. I asked the man then about no lights, no food, etc. and he said he hadn't had time, the owner dropped the Beardie off just before I got there. When I was there again yesterday, still no lights, cold cage with newspaper on the bottom and no UVB light either! I asked him what was going on, and he just gave me a look! Looks like I'll have to make myself unpopular yet again, at another pet shop. Had a similar situation at another pet shop, and I stopped buying Beardie food from them. If it wasn't so expensive (because we keep an inside (night) and an outside (day) cage for our Beardie, I plant food for her, extra lights, etc. to make sure she has whatever she needs) and space consuming, I would have "nagged" with hubby to get the Beardie, but I know we can't at the moment. *Sigh* thus my heart is breaking, but I will just have to get over it.

So life sorted out when we do the Aikido training, and that will happen in the evenings, with or without hubby. I do the wrist movements during the day.

Because of weather and time I decided to do Monday's Core exercise today - inside:

* Bridge 3x10 hold 2counts at the top each time.

* Core Wheel 3x10 just straight rolls.

* No deadlifts. Will try next week.

• Like 2

You can only do your best! And that just has to be enough. There are so many things that need fixing. And there is a limit to what one can do.

• Like 3

You can only do your best! And that just has to be enough. There are so many things that need fixing. And there is a limit to what one can do.

Amen!  I won't volunteer at an animal shelter because I'd want to take everyone home with me.  Get in some good aikido and let the endorphins do their job.  

• Like 2

Stinks when people don't take good care of animals.  Maybe the dragon will breath fire at the pet store workers to teach them a lesson.

I wish he could! He was so stressed, all dark colour, closing his eyes against intrusion, squeezing himself into a corner...

And if Beardie's could breath fire! Wow, my Oldest would be in 7th heaven! (and me too!) Our dream is that one day there'll be dragons and dinosaurs on earth again, then we can tame them and ride on them, or just be around them...

Amen!  I won't volunteer at an animal shelter because I'd want to take everyone home with me.  Get in some good aikido and let the endorphins do their job.  

Yes, I know... but it hurts to see an animal in distress and those who are supposed to look after them, doesn't. They didn't ask to be in that position. Also the reason I won't breed with animals. I also don't go to animal shelters any more, except when we adopt new dogs, etc. for the same reason. All three our dogs are rescues, the beardie as well.  It took years to get the Jack Russell to trust us and not to run away if we aren't at home, and took months for Breeze, the beardie to start eating and just be herself again.

I did get in some good exercise and yes it helped. Just do the best where I can, to those I can help. At least I don't have to save injured Hadeda's from our Jack Russell any more!

A new homeschooling parent is coming to see us this morning. They are up on a farm and the boys are so excited. Taking into consideration all the questions I have had to answer about "farm boys" I am wondering what kind of image they had built up in their heads of how "farm children" grow up, what they do, etc. It's not as if they haven't been on a farm before, but they haven't stayed there, see how things really work, lived there for a while. Might be something I have to organise in some way or another.

• Like 4

You are so kind to try to help that poor Beardie! If more people would do this, the pet shop owner will have to care for him better.

Have fun on the farm! It will be a great learning experience for your boys :)

• Like 1

Yes, keep doing what you can and then hand over to the Larger Power that will have to take it from there, would that help?

Hahaha, I would love to see the images they have in their minds about farm boys :) You could probably do hilarious expectations/reality pics from that.

Nah, you'll have fun for sure!

Yay on all your training, you're doing great. Love all the excitement and fun you have with Aikido

• Like 1

Aikido is all about movement - keep moving, usually in a circular motion, use the "attacker's" strength and momentum against him.  I've hurt my wrists so many times doing diy, just picking up the boys at night, that I'm sometimes afraid to do something because ouch! will I hurt my wrists again. So I am super glad that they'll improve and get stronger now.

this is a really great other-side-of-the-coin impression of aikido! I had never considered how it will strengthen your joints, probably because I'm always the one who's getting aikido applied to HER joints. thank you for the insight!

• Like 3

this is a really great other-side-of-the-coin impression of aikido! I had never considered how it will strengthen your joints, probably because I'm always the one who's getting aikido applied to HER joints. thank you for the insight!

Hum .... makes sense when you think about it.  So long as the body has time to heal in response to the stress, you should improve.  

• Like 1

You are so kind to try to help that poor Beardie! If more people would do this, the pet shop owner will have to care for him better.

Have fun on the farm! It will be a great learning experience for your boys :)

Yes, keep doing what you can and then hand over to the Larger Power that will have to take it from there, would that help?

Hahaha, I would love to see the images they have in their minds about farm boys :) You could probably do hilarious expectations/reality pics from that.

Nah, you'll have fun for sure!

Yay on all your training, you're doing great. Love all the excitement and fun you have with Aikido

Yip, gave it over to God, because He can change attitudes, and I have to live with it. Like Mr.Willes said, you can't always do everything. Do what you can, and I already spoke to the guy. His conscience (and God) will do the rest.

Then when I picked up our beardie this week, to put her in her outside cage for the morning, she ran up my chest, nestled her head under my hair in my neck, and rubbed/shook her head a bit, then just settled down on my shoulder! And some people think they are hard, unfeeling animals. Had to pry her little nails out of my clothes, and she gave me a head bob when I put her down outside.

LOL, the "farm boy" and his mom came to visit us on Thursday and it turned out to be one BUSY day! The mom and I hit off right away. The boys were picturing the boy with pants pulled up to just underneath his arm pits, veld/cowboy hat on his head, shirt buttoned up tight. Of course he looked like just any other boy... barefoot just like them, so they had a great time talking about all they had in common. We are going to visit them on the farm this coming Wednesday! They breed Apaloosas, have cattle and some sheep, and are totally self sufficient! No electricity, no piped water! She pumps from the river every week, heat it up in a drum every night for warm water to bath with, wash dishes, etc. Have their own vegetable garden and fruit trees, as well as chickens. I am just super amazed by what these people manage to do! Her son is Oldest's age, so he finally found someone with the same interests, his age, and not two, or three years younger!

They were there for two hours, then we had to leave for riding lessons, and when we came back, my internet suddenly spewed out a lot of emails, so I had to catch up to two days' messages/work.

Hum .... makes sense when you think about it.  So long as the body has time to heal in response to the stress, you should improve.  

I am just quoting from the book and what I heard in the YouTube videos. I can feel that the exercises have an impact on my wrists, but I have no experience compared to you, Karinajean. Don't know whether the name "Gozo Shioda" will mean anything, but he wrote the book that I am using and learning from.

Yes, my wrists have been healing, but I think if you continually injure the same body part again and again, and not strengthen them in some way, you'll start struggling with it later on. Like rugby players who keep on injuring their knees, and eventually they have to get knee replacements, wear braces, etc. Although I don't think I'm doing that to my wrists.

Managed to practice Aikido late Thursday evening, as well as wrists exercises during the day.

Friday was a dead lost w.r.t. exercises, as I had a hair appointment that lasted 3hours! Had some high and low lights put in. The hairdresser (a lady I have gone to for years) decided I needed a lot more red, instead of my blond "locks", so I am currently looking like a silver, copper, copper, brown, blonde, copper, copper, striped ... Amazon-Mom! Hubby remembered to say I look nice (19 years of training ;) ) and hoped too that the red won't make me more cheeky. Huh, me cheeky?! :pirate: 

Still have to clean the pool today, and I WILL do some of the ob.course. I will, I will, I will, because I really want to! Maybe first do the ob.course, then relax in the pool, cooling off and cleaning it? Multi-tasking at its best :playful:

• Like 2

Of course he looked like just any other boy... barefoot just like them, 

Still have to clean the pool today

LOL, your life is so different from mine. There are just a few days each year where my boys can go barefoot (and they prefer not to :P ). And to have a pool, that would be a dream ;)

Good to hear you had such a good time with that other family :)

• Like 1

LOL, your life is so different from mine. There are just a few days each year where my boys can go barefoot (and they prefer not to :tongue: ). And to have a pool, that would be a dream ;)

Good to hear you had such a good time with that other family :)

Ja, the boys wear tekkies (sneakers?) for riding and if it is very cold, or extremely hot, to protect their feet against the road. Otherwise they are barefoot, but not all kids around here are "let off the hook" like mine, but it is more common amongst the Afrikaans people.

The pool is a small 3m wide above ground one that my mom in law brought for us, which she doesn't use because its too cold when we visit her. It is just big enough for the boys to cool off in, splash around, play some, etc.

Tanktimus: a video where Charlize Theron are speaking in Afrikaans with a Dutch reporter. Will give you an idea of what Afrikaans sounds like...

• Like 1