• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MrsVan

elizevdmerwe: Amazon-Mom heads back to the bush

It's so cool, i can so understand this, it looks so much like dutch! It are just minor things that are not understandable, like on the thread with Jakkals, i can mostly follow it if it's Zuid Afrikaans... not all of it but a good 80%.

• Like 1

It's so cool, i can so understand this, it looks so much like dutch! It are just minor things that are not understandable, like on the thread with Jakkals, i can mostly follow it if it's Zuid Afrikaans... not all of it but a good 80%.

Yup, as I mentioned before - you Dutch settled the Cape of Storms! And that is where Afrikaans originated. There are some Flemish, English, French, Spanish, and African languages mixed into the pot as well. I once joked and said Afrikaans sounds like the original language before Babel, because it is a cauldron of almost all the basic languages! But probably not. I'm not that clued up on the basic, origins of languages.

I just keep thinking that I really, really want a beardie! Don't think my cats would like it
:(
. I would love to snuggle a dragon!

No, you definitely have to keep the Beardie away from the cats (and we from the dogs!), and she will need her own cage with lights, etc. But we make time to let her run in the bedroom with a closed door, and that is also why we built her an outside cage which is 1m wide x 2m long x 1m high, with a very sturdy roof. Wire mesh all round. So she gets all the sunshine she needs, some real plants that she can eat, she is outside, have stumps and rocks to run on and bask.

The photo is of her outside cage in its old position. I should actually take a photo of it here on the stoep, but you get the idea.

Edited by elizevdmerwe
  • Like 1

Mightily impressed by that farm family :o That must be so much work!! On the other hand, no electricity means no problem during load sharing I guess :P you always know what you have.

Still, WOW

I can imagine the boys having great fun together and how cool the Mom and you hit it off as well. New friends with similar interests are always such a great gift, aren't they?

Go do the obstacle course! Go do the obstacle course, go! You WILL enjoy it and feel so good afterwards in the pool

This is always the weird part for me, our seasons being so opposite. Our neighbor's pool is empty now with winter coming and with you the pool is probably becoming more essential every day. How hot do you have it right now?

Reading about your happy beardy makes me feel all warm and happy every time  :love_heart:

• Like 2

Mightily impressed by that farm family :o That must be so much work!! On the other hand, no electricity means no problem during load sharing I guess :tongue: you always know what you have.

Still, WOW

I can imagine the boys having great fun together and how cool the Mom and you hit it off as well. New friends with similar interests are always such a great gift, aren't they?

Go do the obstacle course! Go do the obstacle course, go! You WILL enjoy it and feel so good afterwards in the pool

This is always the weird part for me, our seasons being so opposite. Our neighbor's pool is empty now with winter coming and with you the pool is probably becoming more essential every day. How hot do you have it right now?

Reading about your happy beardy makes me feel all warm and happy every time  :love_heart:

Ja, no load shedding, because no electricity! They do have solar panels which charge batteries for charging cellphone, computer, etc. but we will see on Wednesday just how it works. Hat's off to her definitely!

I did the obstacle course, although just one run through because HOT HOT HOT! Friday at the hairdresser it was in the 40C. On our side of town it was 43C. Yesterday was a little cooler, turning at around 38-39C. We had about 2mm of rain last night, but at least that saves our grass and plants, and the animals in the gardens don't dehydrate. My spinach plants are all but wilted. I seriously want to take the pool water to give to the plants, except the HTH in the water will probably do more damage than good. It is now midday and the thermometer is on 38C again!

• Like 2

Summary for week 1

Dexterity: 1/2DEX - Aikido with or without hubby, at least 3x per week. Managed 4 evenings by myself. 1 morning of checking with hubby.

16.667%
16.667%

Strength: 1/2STR - Although I didn't do the dead lifts this week, I did the bridges 3x10, and core wheel 3x10.

16.667%
16.667%

Stamina: 1/2STA - Did one run through of the ob.course (more sets), and managed extra crunches and push ups inside the house, because it was just too hot in the garden.

16.667%
16.667%
  • Dbl. feet stump-to-stump jump going to replace with jump-up-the-steps.
  • Knees push up on platform (10 / 10 / 9 - might have made 10 on the last, but a certain 6yr old thought mommy made a good horse to ride) :nevreness:
  • Inverted bent-knees chin ups (10 / 8),
  • Climb over - crawl under - A-frame (2x - easy, except for the height - 2m),
  • Balance beam (2x - not so easy with shoes on),
  • MovNat vertical swing/hang on stoep (9sec / 9sec / 6sec),
  • MovNat step under horizontal bar (1x6) assisted vault over (1x5),
  • MovNat horizontal swing/hang on stoep (1x10sec)

Constitution: 0CON - Managed only 3x nights with 7hrs or more of sleep. We did change our routine to get up a bit later... if we can get the birds to not wake up the boys at 4am!

0%
0%

Wisdom: 0WIS - I've sorted July's finances, but haven't had an opportunity to start on it, as I was inundated with book orders coming and going.

0%
0%

Rangers Gonna Ranger:

• Made my own Banting Mayonnaise this week! Was super chuffed, and it wasn't even difficult. No more store bought mayo from now on.
  • Huh - did NOT manage to get to the crossbow. Planned for today, but...
  • Had to nurse hubby's toe, as he cut it quite deep. No bones, muscles, etc. cut, but it bled a lot, and had to give him sugar water for shock. Cleaned it, treated with T-tree oil, band-aid and wrapped, ready to go to hospital for stitches, when hubby decided no way. He's had a tetanus injection in the last two years (I can't remember why), so he isn't going. I have to treat him every day. So I told him to stay off the foot for today. No more cutting out metal pieces to build a petrol tank, so obviously no walking in the garden to teach me to shoot the crossbow either.
  • Like 1

You did it!!!! You'll have to squeeze in workouts early or late with these temperatures.

And probably build netting to collect the dew at night for spinach ;)

Decided we really need to sleep in the mornings till 5h30 at least, and rather exercise in the afternoons. This works for me now, some how or other :playful: The boys are up before 5am, but they are quiet until about 5h30-6h00am. Well when they see hubby or I get up to make coffee.

You just gave me an idea! Part of our stoep's shade netting is flapping around over the spinach. If I can fasten the shade netting sort of over the spinach, then 1. the afternoon sun won't burn/dry out the spinach as much, and 2. the dogs won't walk through as a short cut. I have thick tent pegs that I can use, the question is just how to fasten rope to the shade netting without tearing it?

Although we haven't had much rain, we have had thick mists early mornings, but it evaporates by 5am!

• Like 2

Great! Seriously though, could you have the dew run down the netting and into a kind of half pipe into some container with a lid or so? Or even easier from the pipe into the soil? Am just thinking smaller drops evaporate quicker surely and I know they use netting to collect dew water in deserts close to a coast line. They get moisture at night that would evaporate as well otherwise. It's pretty much how the dung beetle gets its water.

• Like 1

Great! Seriously though, could you have the dew run down the netting and into a kind of half pipe into some container with a lid or so? Or even easier from the pipe into the soil? Am just thinking smaller drops evaporate quicker surely and I know they use netting to collect dew water in deserts close to a coast line. They get moisture at night that would evaporate as well otherwise. It's pretty much how the dung beetle gets its water.

I'll have to look. I've seen that the mist comes up the street into our property, but only to the bottom part. That is 20m down from our house. The shade netting is now pegged at an angle over the spinach, so if there are any moisture, it should be able to run down. The top part of the lawn, close to the house is dying slowly because of too little rain/moisture, while the bottom part is showing some new growth. The grass in the back garden is bone dry. We really need to make some plans though.

I've always let the wash/bath water run into a pipe in the flower/veggie beds that run around our house, thus those plants are growing nicely. I wonder whether I can relay the drainpipe from the outside room to run on to the lawn, or into a drum or something.

• Like 2

DOUBLE POST: So here goes... Fog catchers attempt harvest moisture with nets...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301226/Fog-catchers-attempt-harvest-moisture-huge-nets-Chilean-desert.html

article-0-18FE085E000005DC-544_634x419.j

The fog collectors are huge nets hung between two poles and are made of a polypropylene mesh that captures the droplets.

When the droplets gather together they then run into the storage tanks.

The water is pure for drinking and can be used for agriculture, with a collective in the village of Chanaral use the water for small-scale aloe vera farming. 

However, if the process was used on a larger scale the possibility to change the hostile desert environment is great.

http://news.mit.edu/2013/how-to-get-fresh-water-out-of-thin-air-0830

• Like 1

Cool solutions to your water challenge.  Have you looked into planting drought tolerant plants instead of grass?

We moved into this house 15years ago. It was a very tropical garden with lots of exotic plants. We've replaced a lot of the plants with hardy South African shrubs, aloes, etc. but we can't replace all of the grass itself, because no ground cover is hardy enough to withstand kids and dogs running over them (so you can't keep the ground covered, which leads to erosion and empty spots). Where we could change some patches of grass, we changed it from a clump, water needy grass to Kikuyu which needs less water. Unfortunately we have a problem with any type of grass growing in the shady areas. That is where we've put the trampoline and little swimming pool now. We can't replace big patches of grass with shrubs, bushes, etc. because of security. It just isn't safe to have a whole lot of hiding places around in your garden. Now, unfortunately it seems the Kikuyu is also struggling.

Hubby and I discussed the mist coming in this morning. The mist that reaches our patch isn't very thick, it is tendrils of mist and gets broken up by our fence, unlike the thick fog that blows in at the coast. But he says where I have pegged the shade netting at an angle over the spinach, the water should run down if there are thicker mist that morning, or when it rains.

Heard the Piet-My-Vrou (Red-Chested Cuckoo) for the first time yesterday. One of our old African tales is that it brings rain with it. Whenever you hear it call, rain isn't far off. So here's hoping!

red-chested-cuckoo-small.jpg

• Like 1

And thus I skipped my exercises today because... our Jack Russell accidentally bit me on the leg by my knee, and I struggled to get the little cut and puncture wounds to stop bleeding. It burns like fire! Got it to stop bleeding for a time (really just a trickle, but constant and burning), then I have to do something, like help the boys, or make dinner, or meet someone at the gate, so it starts trickling again! If it doesn't totally clot by tomorrow morning I'll need to have a stitch put in, and maybe go for a tetanus injection.

Bah Humbug! Little nuisances!

Thank you, Terah. It's clean and stopped trickling late last night. Still sore with a huge swelling and bruise, but more of a nuisance really.

AND

AND

AND !

duck_in_rain-2kuwsaz.gif

It's raining! Been raining softly since around 7pm last night, and hasn't stopped yet. The Piet-my-vrou really brought some rain this time.

• Like 4

Yay for rain,

Next time we have some, i'll send it over, we have more than plenty of it.

Really like the part about the Piet my vrou (which looks really dutch)

We got a saying about raining, maybe you can figure it out

"Avondrood geeft water in de sloot"

• Like 3

hey, I figured it out and I know no Dutch at all :D 

It's a funny one and I would not be sure how to translate it exactly but the gist is clear enough.

Halleluja on the rain, Elize, so happy with you!!

Not so happy with the knee-bite, you must look real tasty and smell good with all your healthy diet I guess ;)

Time for pull up bars and other no-knees-needed exercises apart from very gentle things it seems

Hope it heals quickly. Why do I have a feeling you won't be bored in the meanwhile? Your life looks incredibly busy to me.

• Like 2

Never thought someone could be happy because it's raining ;)

Let's make a deal: you send some sunshine this way, we'll send you all the rain :D

Oh%20I%20like%20that.gif?1416008988

• Like 2