• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MrsVan

elizevdmerwe: Amazon-Mom heads back to the bush

Why no ssd? It's by far the best thing you can do for a computer

Antec is a great pick for case and especially power supply!

I can't remember his whole argument, but a part of it comes down to, yes, great loading/reading speeds with SSD, but you still need to write to it a lot if you do ordinary office work, lots of files and lots of change, and SSD doesn't "like" a lot of writing to it, and/or writing speeds aren't faster.  So if you have huge files to write, often, it won't really save you any time. Then obviously the price vs. capacity you get. Not worth the price for our situation/needs.

Then he also said something about the op.sys. being installed on the SSD, but some of your other programmes/apps have to be installed on the primary disk as well, and the SSD is often too small, then you're stuck. He wasn't sure how much space my dual boot system will need. From what I read a128GB might be enough.

And lastly, but I think which bugs him most, is the fact that he has had more problems due to the SSD on his Mecer laptop, than he had with any HDD in the last couple of years.

I pointed out that the system I'm looking at comes with an 128GB SSD, and is cheaper than 1TB HDD.

I would still recommend (at least) an 250/256 GB Samsung ssd. Quality assured! Enough space to install Windows and Linux. Install Windows first on about half the ssd (have to do some partition management during install) and afterwards give Linux the remaining space on the ssd. When you look at it practically an ssd doesn't improve writing speeds much, but normal every day use is almost all about reading from a disk anyway. It's the best way to speed up any pc! If you have the budget I would urgently insist you make use of SSD.

I also had problems with SSD's in the beginning. But when I switched from OCZ to Samsung all my problems went away.

• Like 1

Oow and if the disk isn't large enough you can always install the less frequently used programs on a traditional HDD. If you decide to add one.

At home I have a laptops with a 256 GB Samsung SSD. And use a Qnap dual hard disk NAS to store my other files. And I have a 1TB external hard disk for larger files I need on the go l, which I only connect when needed, and has a backup of the most important files of the Qnap (photos of the children mostly).

• Like 1

Oow and if the disk isn't large enough you can always install the less frequently used programs on a traditional HDD. If you decide to add one.

At home I have a laptops with a 256 GB Samsung SSD. And use a Qnap dual hard disk NAS to store my other files. And I have a 1TB external hard disk for larger files I need on the go l, which I only connect when needed, and has a backup of the most important files of the Qnap (photos of the children mostly).

I was thinking SSD (128/256GB) and HD (1TB) both. I don't think my current 500GB HDD is over 2/3 full. Now I'll first have to go read up on Qnap and NAS. Never heard of it before, but I'm not that up to date or clued up on tech. Only when I need to be! We have a couple of 1TB externals for backups, movies (we don't use the original DVDs, because some damage quickly due to frequent use!), those said photos! and I have a lot of school e-books and curricula on mine. Brandt has to keep backups of all the programmes he writes for his clients and the data they give him, so he uses a lot of space. I'll talk to Brandt some more on the SSD tonight, and have a look at the set up machines. I was thinking of buying it through Evetech.co.za online, as the local computer stores aren't always interested in getting the specific brand you want, and some only sell pre-built, run of the mill home/office machines.

I do have a budget though, and currently I'm on the limit as is! I'll have to see where I can shave off a bit :playful:

It's been a couple of years since I loaded my current laptop, but yes (thank you!), I first install Windows, and then Ubuntu, because Ubuntu's partition manager is very good. Even I had no problems!

The only thing I really know about building your own PC is don't go cheap on the Power Supply. It sounds like you already know that but I wanted to contribute ;)

Thank you! Yes, PSU is crucial if you want everything to work properly.

• Like 1

Mr_Willes, Brandt and I discussed the SSD, and went from how an SSDrive actually work: read and write, what its best usage is for (large block read/write and not small log files for op.sys, etc.), to price, sizes, the fact that it fails suddenly and silently (no warning noises?!), etc. etc. So he is adamant, for now, no SSD as he feels they are not the best storage media, especially for op.sys. So I'll leave it there. He'll rather buy a full HD, wide viewing angle 23" screen, than put the money in an SSD, so I went with the *nice* screen. Hopefully the January "after Christmas" specials will also kick in from next week, then I'll see what is available, otherwise I have to practice patience until around mid-January.

We had a couple of invites for braai/potjie for this weekend, and unfortunately had to choose between friends, so won't be home all that much.

Ijzeren_kookpot.jpg

potjiekos.jpg

YUMMY! Almost on our way.

• Like 4

thank you for the sharing, Elize, I'll leave this here so that your new challenge won't have any past things in it - fresh year, fresh start and all the goodies :)

My heart went out to you so much when I caught up reading on your challenges with your Mom and I sent you many a hug over the distance even though I had no words of advice and you had such wise advice on here already. For what it's worth I think you are handling it all very gracefully with the best possible decisions and actions. Big admiration!

Hope you had lovely holidays with the in-laws. So happy bonds there have become so much easier and warmer this year.

And yay for new computer to come

See you on the new thread, wheeeeeeee

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I am really blessed to have received so much support and advice. I have put the feelings of the past behind me (for the most part). We have a "NO contact" month standing now, and between hubby and the in-laws my mom is staying with, I have that peace of mind of silence! No beeping of messages, no calls coming through constantly... just peace. I just feel sad and sorry for my mom, because she is making her position worse with everyone else.

And I could pass on some advice and just a lot of encouragement and understanding, because at our neighbour's New Year's potjie on Friday, one of her friends were going through the same thing, and she was nearly at breaking point so she just burst open with all these feelings! Her mom lives in town, so it is much more difficult to handle!

On a much happier note, I had to giggle after mil and sil left! After all the trouble and then October's acceptance of us HS after mil's week of "school-run" with her other grandson, both mil and sil conceded that the boys were doing very well and are very happy. The boys even helped their cousin with some school work! Ours is plastered all over our front room walls, so when he told them he didn't understand something, they were all over him trying to explain!

So all's well that ends well.

• Like 3