• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - A Barbarian Pulls His Own Weight

Well, that is definitely an upside to taking meds so often ^^ Looking forward to the progress report next thursday.

Yeah, I was trying to think of something to key the pull up to, and that just made sense :)

• Like 1

Week 1 - Day 5.  

1.  Pull my own Weight:

I have done a pull up, using the 65# resistance band, as scheduled so far today.  The first rep, right after I woke up, didn't get my chin over the bar, but the rest were good.

I also did a set of negatives this afternoon.  I did 10 second negatives into the full down and relaxed position then did a scapular pull into the hollow body position.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

4/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - Four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and one set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Fitbit died halfway though so I'm not sure about the time, but I do believe it was quicker than Wednesday.

Turkish Get Ups - One set from each side with a 16 kg KB, four sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.   gettin' stronger :)

Simple and Sinister stretches.

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL 1 Team Pink

Not yet.

• Like 4

There's a nice post on bone broth over at MDA I thought some of you may be interested in.

I just made some good gelatinous broth the other day.  My problem is I forget it is in the fridge.  I should start adding a cup of hot broth to my evening routine.  Haven't been to the MDA site in a long time.  I'll need to head over and see if they have any new recipes!

BTW- great job on those swings and your pull-up work!

• Like 1

Week 1 - Day 6.  

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Doing my 'Grease the Groove' program with the 65# band.  It is going well and I can feel some progress.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

5.6 minutes of seven second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - Four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and one set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell.  I did my Saturday test of only resting to a 100 BPM heart rate between sets and completed the swings in 16:54.  That is a minute longer than last week, but two of the sets this week were with a heavier KB.

Turkish Get Ups - One set from each side with a 16 kg KB, four sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  I think I'm about ready to move past the 16 kg 'bell.  We'll see how I feel on Monday.  

I swear the mini challenge Gods are working against me this week.  I went to pre-roast the acorn squash last night in preparation for breakfast, and I couldn't find it.  It's gone.  I must have somehow left it in the shopping cart at the store.  So I did pick another one up today.

So...

Acorn squash on hand - check

Pre-roasting so no excuses in the morning - check

Generator and fuel on hand in case we have a natural disaster that takes out the grid - check

There will be squash for breakfast tomorrow!  That or I'm doing a whole lotta jumping lunges and squats tomorrow.

• Like 2

Heavy swings! \o/

Not quite yet, but getting there :)

I just made some good gelatinous broth the other day.  My problem is I forget it is in the fridge.  I should start adding a cup of hot broth to my evening routine.  Haven't been to the MDA site in a long time.  I'll need to head over and see if they have any new recipes!

BTW- great job on those swings and your pull-up work!

I try to have broth every day, it's my late afternoon snack.

Thanks, I'm getting after it :)

• Like 2

Not sure what happened. I posted a reply here about a half an hour ago, but it's gone now.

Anyway, I had said that you were doing great with your kettlebells and I really like your pull-up plan as well. I'm looking forward to the squash recipe!

• Like 1

Acorn Squash, its what's for breakfast.

I finally made my acorn squash dish to help the Pink Team with the Assassin Mini Challenge.

I wanted to do something a little different than the routine baked or stuffed squash, so found a breakfast recipe over at paleOMG.

Now my Sweetie is not at all interested in having squash for breakfast, so this recipe is for one serving.  Easily doubled.

Roast an acorn squash the night before, have half for dinner and save half for breakfast.

Ingredients:

6 oz breakfast sausage

1/2 roasted acorn squash.

1 egg

A thick slice or two of yellow onion diced.

1 small, or 1/2 large jalapeno diced.

A bit of fat of your choice (I used bacon drippings).

Herbs and spices of your choice (I used fresh Thyme and powdered Turmeric).

Healthy pinch of Parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Saute the onion and jalapeno over medium heat in a half TBSP or so of fat until nearly translucent.

Add your herbs and spices.  I used Thyme just because I happen to have a bunch on hand, and I like to use Turmeric fairly often and this looked like a good use of the spice.  When you use Turmeric, you also have to use black pepper, so add your pepper here also.

Add sausage to the pan and brown.

When the sausage is nearly done, scrape out your acorn squash being careful not to tear the skin.  Add the squash meat to the pan and mix well.  When the squash/sausage is well mixed and warmed through, add the mixture back into the acorn shell.  Press a little spot for a nice nest for your egg.

Crack an egg into the squash, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over the while thing if you wish,  and bake for 10 to 15 minutes to your desired doneness.  My eggs have to be cooked through, a part of living without an immune system.

How'd it turn out?

C22F163E-4DC3-4B42-A40F-DD076E2194D8.jpg

The picture does not do the dish justice.  The lighting in my kitchen really kinda sucks for pictures.

This dish turned out much better than expected.  Had a bit of the "Spicy Sweet" thing going on between the pepper and the squash, the Thyme added interesting notes at just the right time (cracked myself up there), and the just cooked through egg yolk provided a necessary creaminess that made the dish.  And who doesn't like a little crispy parm?

This recipe is easily modified to suite your tastes.  Don't do nightshades?  No problem.  Garlic would work well here.  No cheese?  Also no problem, dust with a pinch of kosher salt before baking.  I think a duck egg would work out really nicely here, hmmm...

This is on the list for a special breakfast, or to use up some leftover squash.  Baking an extra squash is easy peasy when you are cooking one anyway :)

Now for the nutrient breakdown:

Cals - 855

Carbs - 74 gr

Fat - 42 gr

Prot - 43 gr

Sugar - 3 gr

Macros come out to 35/45/20 %

This will be my primary source of carbs for the day.  

• Like 2

Week 1 - Day 7.  

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Continuing my 'Grease the Groove' program with the 65# band.  I can see why using a band is not really recommended for working on pull ups. You could develop bad habits fairly easily.

I tried doing these today -

img_5493.jpg?w=225&h=300

But didn't get into a position where my hips stayed under the bar through the entire movement.  It did help the bottom of the movement though, a place that the bands might hurt.

I also did a set of negatives, so a good day for pull up progression :)

9.3 minutes of seven second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day

There was squash for breakfast :)

I"m not going to give myself the full +1 DEX for this challenge as I did not do all the jumps.  I'll probably score it .2 DEX.

• Like 2

Week 1 - Week in Reveiw

SMART Quests:

1.  Pull my own Weight: This one is easy, pass or fail.  I will do at least one, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up

I have started 'Greasing the Groove' by doing band assisted pull ups, with a 65# assistance band, five times per day.

I am also doing reverse pulls / scapular pulls / hollow body dead hangs once every two to three days.  

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus.  Incorporate other forms of meditation into the program at least once/week.  This can be an Aikido Guided Meditation vid or a guided meditation app.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

I did seven second box breathing 6 times this week (whoo hooo, got one banked :)).  I tried a guided meditation but a commercial popped up and restarted it from the beginning.

3.  Learn a New Skill: I would like to continue practicing rock climbing.  I really enjoyed starting this quest during the last challenge.   I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. 

I have not yet gone to the indoor climbing gym.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell, and the final stretching exercises. 

I have completed the S&S workout 5 times this week.  I will add a set of one hand swings with the 24 kg 'bell next week.  I started with doing 2/3 sets 16/20 kg TGU's and am now doing 1/4 sets.  I might be able to ditch the 16 kg KB next week.  If not then, soon :)

5. Mini Quests:

This week's mini quest physical challenge was to do 100 jumps.  I tried broad jumps, but landing jarred my chest.  I tried box jumps onto a retaining wall with the same results.  I could have done jumping lunges or jumping squats as the landing is softer and doesn't hurt my chest.  Doing that during the last challenge (or was it the one before that?) really affected my S&S program, and progressing with my swings is very important to me.

That's why I opted for the cooking part of the challenge.  Helped the team :)

I am very happy with Week 1.  Nice progress with the pull up and S&S, I'm ahead of my goal with box breathing, and I completed the team challenge.  I need to schedule a day for climbing so I don't get behind on that goal, again.

Have a great Week 2 my Rebel friends, we got this :)

• Like 2

You had a great week 1! I like the sound of the acorn squash breakfast and it should actually qualify as a "soft food". I'm pretty sure I'll be trying it at some point in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Week 2 - Day 1.  Happy Birthday to Me :)

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Doing my 'Grease the Groove' program with the 65# band.  This last rep I was able to hold my chin over the bar for 2 seconds.

8.4 minutes of seven second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. My sets with the 20 kg 'bell that followed the 2nd set with 24 kg's were very snappy.  Felt really good.

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 20 kg KB. Happy Birthday to me :)  I've progressed past the 16 kg TGU.  

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  2 Team Pink

Crawls, lots and lots of crawling in my future :)

Now I'm back to Assassin Am-bad-assadory stuff :)

• Like 2

Monday Macros

Weight = 158. Weight gain this week = 1 lbs. Total weight loss = 93 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 24/48/28%. Daily avg cals = 2340.  Body Fat = 12.1%.

Cals were low, and percentage of Carbs were high this week.  The Carbs were under my 150 gr/day average limit (140), looks like I could have used some more fat to make my cals goal and balance out the macros a bit.

I'm making good gains in my kettlebell workouts, have great energy, and am not hungry.  I'll stick at the 24 to 2500 cal/day goal for awhile longer 

• Like 2

Week 2 - Day 2.  

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Increased my assisted pull ups for Greasing the Groove with the assistance band to reps of 2, five times per day.

6 minutes of seven second box breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell.  I tried a rep with the 20 kg 'bell.  My 20 kg KB is a competition KB and the handle has straight sides.  This made the curls difficult so went back to my 15 kg one.  I'd trade out the competition bell out in a minute.

Kettlebell Swings - Three sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and two sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell.

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  2 Team Pink

Crawls.  None yet, but they will be done.

• Like 3

I hope you had a great birthday! You're making excellent progress with your kettlebells and your pull-ups! I actually didn't know there was such a thing as bands to let you do assisted pull-ups from home. But I just found some on Amazon as a lightning deal so I ordered one. I'm not sure the level I ordered will be enough, so I might have to work up to it. I didn't want it to be too easy though.

WodFitters_bands3_grande.jpg?v=143270836

I saw that deal also :)  It looks like it was for the Green band.  Here is the chart from WODFitters that shows their recommended bands for body weight and # of pull ups you can currently do.

• Like 2

When I was on there it seemed to at least be for the blue and green one. It was on the blue one when I clicked on it and I bought the green one (that's the one recommended for me in the chart). I didn't check the others to see if they were on the deal though. Mine should be here on Friday. I know I'll try it out, but I may not start using it regularly for a little while.