• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - A Barbarian Pulls His Own Weight

Wow, that'll be a major leap of progress to hit the 30!

One step closer to a real one :)

Woohoo on the 24kg. swing!

:)

You're doing awesome Jrosto! So impressed with your consistency :) Either you and Elastigirl have something major in common, or it's something in the S&S flavored water ;)

On a side note, perhaps to provide some perspective..... it took me almost 2 years to work up to my first pull-up. Not all of that time was consistent and concious movement towards this goal, so i'm sure you'll do it much faster! But it's not an easy goal you picked for yourself. 

Hard Style Water is pretty tasty, and addictive.  You should give it a try :)

Achieving a pull up has been harder than expected.  Getting one is going to be pretty awesome.

• Like 3

Week 3 - Day 3.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Continued Greasing the Groove with the 50# band. 

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

8.5 minutes of Eight Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell. 

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. 

I did my 5000th recorded swing during yesterdays workout.  Left hand, 24 kg's.  Hopefully by 10,000 I will be swinging 32 kg one handed :)

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  TGU's felt much better today.

Simple and Sinister stretches.

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  3 Team Pink

Haven't found a challenge worthy beet recipe yet.  Well, a new to me recipe anyway :)

• Like 4

Have you tried using a step stool to step into the band?  Or you could consider pulling the band down as part of an exercise routine all by itself :)

I actually have tried the stool, but I'd already been trying to pull it down for a while before I did so I was still tired. It is even more hilarious to watch when I use the stool, but I might have to at least try it that way and see if I can do an actual pull-up.

5,000 swings! Wow, that's impressive. You're doing great as usual.

I actually have tried the stool, but I'd already been trying to pull it down for a while before I did so I was still tired. It is even more hilarious to watch when I use the stool, but I might have to at least try it that way and see if I can do an actual pull-up.

5,000 swings! Wow, that's impressive. You're doing great as usual.

Now that's a vid that should be posted ;)

Wow, I just finished reading through your thread - your story is amazing and your challenge is very exciting! I feel inspired!

Thanks CP, I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Huh that's so cool that you know how many swings you've done! I have absolutely nooo idea. 

32 with be an epic achievement in 5000 more. The difference between 20-24 is smaller than 28-32 yknow. 

Week 3 - Day 4.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Tested my strength with the 50# assistance band today and was only able to do 2 1/2 pull ups.  I'm going to have to stay with this one for at least a few more days.  I think I will start doing two reps in my greasing the groove routine.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

3/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day.  

It's kinda hard to take a rest day when my KB's are sitting there by the fireplace hearth, calling my name.

Still nada

• Like 4

Huh that's so cool that you know how many swings you've done! I have absolutely nooo idea. 

32 with be an epic achievement in 5000 more. The difference between 20-24 is smaller than 28-32 yknow. 

That's one advantage of being a data hound (hoarder?) who has access to Google Sheets :)

I'm not going to get the 28 kg KB, going straight to 32 :)  I'm going to have to really own the 24 before I start progressing to 32, but I do think I'm ready to start taking the 8 kg leaps.  

• Like 3

That will definitely be an achievement! I have to take 2kg steps and every new step takes longer and longer... But I don't doubt you can do that, within the next 5000 swings! I look forward to it :)

• Like 1

Now that's a vid that should be posted ;)

I'm pretty sure that video would entertain everyone for DAYS! Especially since I put the stool a fair distance away from the pull-up station so that it wouldn't be in the way.

Sounds like you're still making progress with your pull-ups. Great job!

• Like 1

Week 3 - Day 5.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

3/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  .

I did buy beets and greens today :)

I had to go out and get a new jacket today, all of my old ones are way too big.  It's kind of fun when I show my ID to use a card, and the salesperson comments on how much weight I've lost since the picture on my drivers license :)

I also ordered the 32 kg kettlebell, I wonder what's going to  be involved with my next challenge ;)

Hope you all have an awesome weekend!

• Like 3

Week 3 - Day 6.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

5.33 minutes of Eight Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

I did my Saturday test of only resting to a heart rate of 100 BPM in between sets of swings.  Today's test was almost 7 minutes faster than last week, and over a minute faster than the week before.  My heart rate has been lower pretty much all week.  I'm not really sure why, starting to doubt the FitBit.  I have a hospital grade pulse/Ox that attaches to the iPhone, I just have to find the 4 to 5 adapter and I'll see what's going on come Monday.

Turkish Get Ups - Five sets from each side with a 20 kg KB.  .

And... I've decided on a recipe.

• Like 3

Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: Level 3

710CAA36-8957-4B64-939A-8E4FD57E1BAA.jpg

Sweet Potato - Beet - Bacon Hash

I like sweet potatoes, I like beets, and I like bacon, so this recipe had pretty high expectations.  I do believe it exceeded even those.  Turned out pretty darn good if I must say so myself.  My sweetie does not like unsweetened sweet potatoes and roasted beets, and even she said this was good.

Ingredients:

I ea. 5" long or so sweet potato (a couple cups diced) diced into 1/4" pieces.

2 ea 2" round beets diced into 1/4" pieces

1 TBSP melted coconut oil

Kosher salt as needed (I used two nice pinches)

Fresh cracked black pepper to taste (1/2 tsp or so)

1 slice thick cut, uncured, smoked bacon cut in half lengthwise then into squares.

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Toss sweet potatoes and beets with coconut oil, add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper to taste.

Spread this out onto a greased/parchment paper covered baking sheet and roast until the veggies are golden and just done, 25 to 30 minutes.  Stir every 10 mins or so.

Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, add the bacon adn render the fat until the bacon is starting to crisp.  

I had to add some more drippings to make enough fat to cook the onion.

Add the onion, and another pinch of the kosher salt, and cook until the onions start to caramelize and turn a golden color.  I turned the stove up to med-high the last few minutes to get a good carmalization. I took me about 10 minutes.

Add the roasted sweet potato/beet mixture.  Stir and cook for another 5 minutes or so.  Taste and add salt/pepper as necessary.  The two pinches used earlier was enough for us.

We had this with a salad and roast chicken.

As mentioned before, this did turn out very nicely.  As I don't eat much in the way of sugar. roasted beets are always sweet to me.  This may be a good dish to try if you are not sure if your company like beets or not, because, you know.... Bacon! :)

4 side servings.  Cals = 137, Carbs = 20 gr, Fat = 5 gr, Prot = 3 gr, Sugar = 7 gr.

I found the base recipe here.

• Like 3

I had to go out and get a new jacket today, all of my old ones are way too big.  It's kind of fun when I show my ID to use a card, and the salesperson comments on how much weight I've lost since the picture on my drivers license :)

Boom--WINNING. 

• Like 4

Week 3 - Day 7.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Continued Greasing the Groove with the 50# band.  I tried to do a pull up with the 30# band today and was successful :)

6.9 minutes of Eight Second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day.

Done :)

• Like 2

Week 3 - Week in Reveiw

SMART Quests:

1.  Pull my own Weight: This one is easy, pass or fail.  I will do at least one, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up

I have progressed from the 50# assistance band to a 30# band for Greasing the Pull Up Groove .

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus.  Incorporate other forms of meditation into the program at least once/week.  This can be an Aikido Guided Meditation vid or a guided meditation app.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

I did eight second box breathing 5 times this week.

3.  Learn a New Skill: I would like to continue practicing rock climbing.  I really enjoyed starting this quest during the last challenge.   I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. 

I have not yet gone to the indoor climbing gym.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell, and the final stretching exercises. 

I have completed the S&S workout 5 times this week. I am now doing 8 out of 10 sets of my swings with the 24 kg KB and all of my TGU's with 20 kg's.  We will be at my Mom's for most of this next week.  I'm bringing my KB's, but not sure how I'll do.

5. Mini Quests:

This week's mini quest physical challenge was to do 300 seconds of sprints.  I choose to do the cooking challenge instead. I will not take the +1 STA as I did not do the sprints.

Another really good week.  I've progressed with both my S&S and my pull ups.  I do still need to get to the climbing gym.

Half way through the challenge, and our first speed bump is coming up.  Thanksgiving week.  We are going to my Mom's.  Youngest daughter and her boyfriend, and my cousin from Mississippi will be there also.  It's going to be a great time and hopefully I'll at least maintain my progress with kettlebells and pull ups.

Have a great week everyone.  And remember... You don't "have" to eat all the things, but if you do, enjoy every bite :)

• Like 2

Great job with the new pull-up band and your kettlebells! It's great when you HAVE to buy new clothes because all of your others are too big! I actually need to buy some long sleeve shirts and a jacket as well. I'm impressed that you're taking the KB's to your mother's. We'll be driving to Alabama in December and there is no way I'm packing almost 55 lbs of 'bells for the trip. I'll just have to make a different exercise plan for that week.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Continued Greasing the Groove with the 50# band.  I tried to do a pull up with the 30# band today and was successful :)

DING--level up!

Week 4 - Day 1.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Continued Greasing the Groove with the 30# band.  I tried to do an unassisted pull up today, made it 2/3's of the way up.  A super improvement over 3 weeks ago.

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Took another rest day. Actually it was a run around and get ready to hit the road tomorrow day.  I intended to get in a workout this afternoon, but it never happened.

The kettlebells are in the Jeep and ready to go though :)  They might get unpacked in Eureka Springs.  

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  4 Team Pink

Static holds!  Best news all challenge :)  400 seconds of planks here I come!

• Like 4

Monday Macros

Weight = 157. Weight gain/loss this week = 0 lb. Total weight loss = 94 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 22/57/21%. Daily avg cals = 2501.  Body Fat = 11.6%.

Pretty close to spot on

This is the official 'Pre-Holiday' season weigh in.  It will be interesting to see where I am at the Monday after New Year's :)

• Like 4