• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - A Barbarian Pulls His Own Weight

Still at my Mom's visiting with family, and having a great time.  I feel a bit like a slug though as I hadn't picked up my kettlebells until this afternoon.  After following KB Girl's awesome tournament in Ireland, I had to get up and give my KB's some attention.  I decided to try and meet the simple goals with a 16 kg 'bell.  I missed by 17 seconds.  I did 10 sets of 10 one hand swings in 5:17.  That's the first time that I've swung for the five minute time.  Heart rate got up to 134 BPM during the workout, averaged 117.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Week 4.

• Like 3

Still at my Mom's visiting with family, and having a great time.  I feel a bit like a slug though as I hadn't picked up my kettlebells until this afternoon.  After following KB Girl's awesome tournament in Ireland, I had to get up and give my KB's some attention.  I decided to try and meet the simple goals with a 16 kg 'bell.  I missed by 17 seconds.  I did 10 sets of 10 one hand swings in 5:17.  That's the first time that I've swung for the five minute time.  Heart rate got up to 134 BPM during the workout, averaged 117.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Week 4.

sweet time-well done

Nice one. I like that you brought your bells with you.

I've noticed with any size bell it's pretty easy to get under 8 minutes, but really hard to get under 5.

sweet time-well done

Great job, jrosto! 

I still aspire to be like you with KB's when I grow up ;)

Thanks :)  I really expected to get in more KB work while I was here, but we are too busy visiting and when you leave the room for more than a few minutes folks start asking where you ran off to.

I did get in my planks for the mini challenge this morning.  3 minute plank, 1:40 right side plank, 1:40 left side plank then the last 20 secs a regular plank.  I like planks :)

• Like 4

I know exactly what you mean about it being hard to exercise while visiting. At Christmas it's always difficult to get away for a little while for any reason. Last year I tried getting up a little earlier than everyone else to get some exercise in. Every time Mom would come in as I was about half way through and watch me and try to talk to me. I finally gave up after a few days.

• Like 1

Week 4 - Week in Reveiw

SMART Quests:

1.  Pull my own Weight: This one is easy, pass or fail.  I will do at least one, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up

I did no pull up work while at Mom's.  Very cold and rainy everyday so stayed in and just visited with family.  I had kind of thought about going out to a park while I was there, but nope nope nope. .

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus.  Incorporate other forms of meditation into the program at least once/week.  This can be an Aikido Guided Meditation vid or a guided meditation app.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

0 out of 5 this week.  Not going to score well on this one come end of the challenge.

3.  Learn a New Skill: I would like to continue practicing rock climbing.  I really enjoyed starting this quest during the last challenge.   I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. 

I have not yet gone to the indoor climbing gym.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell, and the final stretching exercises. 

It is going to be interesting to see how I do when I do my S&S this afternoon after slacking off for a week.  I have two weeks to get caught back up and achieve this quest.  I'm confident that will happen..

5. Mini Quests:

This week's mini quest physical challenge was to do 400 seconds of static holds.  I choose to do planks, yeah planks :)

I did a 3 minute plank, a 1:40 right side plank, a 1:40 left side plank then the last 20 secs I did a regular plank again.  Have I mentioned that I like planks  :)

When setting up this challenge, I thought about giving myself a by-week for Thanksgiving, but decided not to.  My main goals of achieving a pull up and the S&S standards I want to meet don't care about holidays.  I'm just going to have to work a little harder these next two weeks to meet those goals.

• Like 4

Week 5 - Day 1.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

After a week of no pull up work, I decided to go back to the 65# assistance band to grease the groove and quickly work my way back to the 30# one.  I'm stronger than I was a couple weeks ago, but have lost a bit since last Monday.

I'm also going to do more reps with the heavier band so I can complete this week's mini challenge.  It's fortuitous that the mini fits so well with my main quest for the challenge :) 

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell. 

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. 

Yes, I was able to swing the same weights as before the trip :)  It was harder to get through, but my heart rate was good and I got the set done in just under 20 mins.  My form may have been a little sloppy because I can feel the workout in some muscles that I hadn't felt in awhile.

Turkish Get Ups - Not quite as successful as the swings.

I messed up and tried the 24 kg 'bell first and tweaked my left shoulder when I started waving the flag.  I tried again with the 16 kg KB, paying very close attention to form and packing that shoulder and had a good Get Up, but when I tried the right side, the left shoulder hurt both when going up on the elbow and the hand.  Then when I was going up onto my knee my foot slipped.  Glad it was a light KB as I was able to safely get it down to the ground.  In this drier weather I'm going to have to start wearing shoes during the workout.

The shoulder's going to be fine, it's just a little tweak.  I'm just going to have to go lighter for a bit until it gets lined out. 

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  5 Team Pink

Pull up variations :)  Lots and lots of assisted and negative pull ups.

• Like 4

Monday Macros

Weight = 157. Weight gain/loss this week = 0 lb. Total weight loss = 94 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 25/50/25%. Daily avg cals = 2,278.  Body Fat = Forgot to take before my first drink of water.

Carb heavy, as expected for a travel week.  I did pretty good with Thanksgiving dinner.  I planned on having a piece of pie, but after two small spoonfuls of the cranberry sauce I made, I was sugared out.  Saved by the cranberries :)

I did, of course, eat at least a little of everything that was put on the table for dinner.  The family worked hard to make a wonderful dinner and one day of grains wasn't going to matter in the grand scheme of things.  We had a great time, but I am glad to be home.

• Like 4

Monday Macros

Weight = 157. Weight gain/loss this week = 0 lb. Total weight loss = 94 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 25/50/25%. Daily avg cals = 2,278.  Body Fat = Forgot to take before my first drink of water.

Carb heavy, as expected for a travel week.  I did pretty good with Thanksgiving dinner.  I planned on having a piece of pie, but after two small spoonfuls of the cranberry sauce I made, I was sugared out.  Saved by the cranberries :)

I did, of course, eat at least a little of everything that was put on the table for dinner.  The family worked hard to make a wonderful dinner and one day of grains wasn't going to matter in the grand scheme of things.  We had a great time, but I am glad to be home.

No weight change over the week is pretty darn good, not that you need that to say you deserved to sample the Thanksgiving table of course. 

• Like 1

You did GREAT over the holidays!  I totally succumbed to my Mom's cooking, especially since it was all gluten-free.  :playful:   The nice thing about traveling for the holiday is that you leave all the carb-laden food behind the moment you head out the door but it is definitely harder to keep up with the workouts.   

Week 5 - Day 2.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

I used the 65# band for my assisted pull ups today so I could get more in for the mini challenge.  I also did scapular pulls.

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

0/5 for the week.  Today I just plain forgot until just now.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. 

My swings felt much better than yesterday.  I should be caught up by Friday and ready to progress to all 24 kg swings come Monday.

Turkish Get Ups - One from each side with 16 kg.

My left shoulder felt good when I did the get up from my left side.  Nice tightly packed shoulder and really good form = no issues.  From my right side was a different story.  I could still feel some pain when my left hand was on the ground and I was moving through the different positions so I stopped at just the one rep.  This all started with the bear crawls week before last and silly me, I tried to do a gymnast type bridge after my hip bridges this afternoon.  As soon as I tried to lift up with my hands I could feel it.

Maybe I'll try a yoga vid tomorrow afternoon if I still have an issue with it. 

Pull up variations  :)  Today was assisted and scap pulls.

• Like 2

No weight change over the week is pretty darn good, not that you need that to say you deserved to sample the Thanksgiving table of course. 

You did GREAT over the holidays!  I totally succumbed to my Mom's cooking, especially since it was all gluten-free.  :playful:   The nice thing about traveling for the holiday is that you leave all the carb-laden food behind the moment you head out the door but it is definitely harder to keep up with the workouts.   

Thanks, it was a great family time.  We are all spread out now so don't get that too often.

• Like 2

Week 5 - Day 3.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Assisted pull ups and scap pulls for the Mini Challenge.  Go Team Pink :).

5.33 minutes of 8 second Box Breathing.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Turkish Get Ups - Left shoulder is still tweaked a bit.  Just when I rotate my arm behind me.  Feels great for swings, pull ups, and from the active side for TGU's.  Just hurts during certain rotations so I decided to give it a couple day break and lay off TGU's until at least Friday.

I did 3 sets of 10 dead lifts with my new 32 kg kettlebell as my strength portion of the workout.

A total of 175 points so far.  

• Like 1

You are doing a great job getting back to your kettlebells. It's definitely a good idea to give your shoulder a break for a few days. You don't want to hurt it anymore than it already is, plus it's probably not a good idea to hold large metal balls over your head when your supporting shoulder is tweaked! You go with the mini challenge! I have decided to cook with mushrooms rather than try to manage 500 scap pulls, etc.  :playful:  If I could actually do an assisted I might try for it, but mushrooms it is!

• Like 1

I just got through reading your thread, and it is awesome how detailed all of your logs are. I just started integrating some scap pull-ups into my workout. They seem so deceptively easy at the start. Good luck with finishing up with the remainder of the challenge. I will definitely be following along in the future. 

Week 5 - Day 4.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Assisted pull ups and scap pulls for the Mini Challenge.  Go Team Pink  :).

1/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day.

A total of 255 points so far.  

• Like 2

You are doing a great job getting back to your kettlebells. It's definitely a good idea to give your shoulder a break for a few days. You don't want to hurt it anymore than it already is, plus it's probably not a good idea to hold large metal balls over your head when your supporting shoulder is tweaked! You go with the mini challenge! I have decided to cook with mushrooms rather than try to manage 500 scap pulls, etc.  :playful:  If I could actually do an assisted I might try for it, but mushrooms it is!

The "holding large metal balls over your head" part goes a long way towards helping me come to a reasonable decision about resting the shoulder :)

I just got through reading your thread, and it is awesome how detailed all of your logs are. I just started integrating some scap pull-ups into my workout. They seem so deceptively easy at the start. Good luck with finishing up with the remainder of the challenge. I will definitely be following along in the future. 

Thanks Jormungand, I'm a natural data hoarder hound :)  

Hope the shoulder heals quick. My shoulder is sort of giving me odd twinges now and then too. I am drinking bone broth and giving it a bit of a rest too.

My current batch of bone broth is beef and lamb.  It turned out very tasty.  I'm also adding more Turmeric to my daily diet to try and help.

• Like 4

The "holding large metal balls over your head" part goes a long way towards helping me come to a reasonable decision about resting the shoulder :)

Thanks Jormungand, I'm a natural data hoarder hound :)

My current batch of bone broth is beef and lamb.  It turned out very tasty.  I'm also adding more Turmeric to my daily diet to try and help.

My friend takes Tumeric supplements, and she swears by its effectiveness.

• Like 1