• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - A Barbarian Pulls His Own Weight

Week 5 - Day 5.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Assisted pull ups and scap pulls for the Mini Challenge. 

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

2/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Prying Goblet Squat - One set of 5 with a 16 kg kettlebell. 

Hip Bridges- One set of 5 Three Second Hip Bridges

Halo - One set of 5, in each direction, with a 16 kg kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - One set of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 20 kg kettlebell. and four sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - Left shoulder is still tweaked so no TGU's.  

I did 3 sets of 10 dead lifts with my new 32 kg kettlebell as my strength portion of the workout.

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  5 Team Pink

A total of 340 out of 500 points so far.  

I made a mushroom recipe tonight that was a failure.  My intent was to make a mushroom - sweet potato - crab soup, but when I got to the store they had a very nice selection of truffles so decided to use a truffle instead of crab.  Well...  a couple of the ingredients were bacon and smoked Gouda.  Bacon is awesome, truffles are awesome, bacon and truffle do not play well together.  The bacon and smoked Gouda really overpowered the truffle.  

My favorite truffle recipe is sauteed truffles and wild mushrooms and soft scrambled eggs.  #2 is a mushroom/truffle sauteed spinach dish and #3 is truffle/mushroom saute over Wagu NY Strip.

Oh... don't be scared of the truffle.  They are very expensive by the pound, but you can easily get the flavor and aroma of the truffle with grams of the fungus instead of ounces. 

• Like 3

Week 5 - Day 4.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Assisted pull ups and scap pulls for the Mini Challenge. 

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

2/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day.

I took tomorrow's rest day today.  We went out shopping then made Christmas presents for the kids.  We have 10 grandchildren so this year the kids are getting made presents so we can get nicer ones for their children :)

A total of 425 out of 500 points so far.  

• Like 3

My friend takes Tumeric supplements, and she swears by its effectiveness.

My sister in law has been using turmeric for inflammation. She gets "real turmeric" as she calls it, from the Indian grocer. She has some friends from India that swear the turmeric you get here in the US is low quality. I'm going to try it for my creaky knees.

way to go on the mini! Go Team Pink!

• Like 2

Week 5 - Day 6.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

I attempted an unassisted pull up today.  Another failure, but very close.  I got up to my chin, but just couldn't get over the bar.  That gives me hope that I will complete this quest during this challenge :)

2/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

I took another rest day.  Today was hang the Christmas lights along the eves and change out the dishes for the Christmas dishes day.

A total of 535 out of 500 points so far.  Mini Challenge complete :)

• Like 2

Week 5 - Week in Reveiw

SMART Quests:

1.  Pull my own Weight: This one is easy, pass or fail.  I will do at least one, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up

I am very close to completing this quest.  I added negatives where I drop down a few inches, then pull myself back up that same distance, drop a bit further, pull back up to the previous low.... continue until at the bottom.  That seems to really have helped .

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus.  Incorporate other forms of meditation into the program at least once/week.  This can be an Aikido Guided Meditation vid or a guided meditation app.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

Just not motivated to get this one done this time.  I know it has helped my lungs, so I will have to get back at it.

3.  Learn a New Skill: I would like to continue practicing rock climbing.  I really enjoyed starting this quest during the last challenge.   I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. 

I have not yet gone to the indoor climbing gym.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell, and the final stretching exercises. 

I will successfully complete this mini quest.  I was doing all my TGU's with 20 kg before I tweaked my shoulder and I will be doing all my swings with 24 kg starting tomorrow..

5. Mini Quests:

This week's mini quest physical challenge was to do 500 points worth of pull ups or pull up progressions.  I did scapular pulls (1 pt each), and negative and assisted pull ups (5 pts each).

I think I'm going to have my first all out failure of a challenge with the indoor climbing gym, unless of course I get off my butt and go climb some walls this week :)

• Like 2

You totally have that pull-up, you just need to train hard this week. There's still time to go rock climbing a time or two as well. Who knows? Might help your upper body strength enough to push you over the edge in time...

Week 6 - Day 1.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

I did negatives and assisted's today.  My granddaughter has become a little monkey on the pull up bar.  

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell.  It's official, I am now an "Average Strength Gentleman" according to Pavel.   A major goal achieved, really kind of pumped to have gotten this.  Next big goal is 10 sets of 10 one hand swings in 5 minutes with 24 kg.

Turkish Get Ups - Today I did two sets from each side   My shoulder felt good throughout the movement and I could have done more.  I just wanted to see how it felt later in the day before pushing any more.  It feels good :)

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  6 Team Pink

Jumps and push ups.  600 freaking jumps and push ups...  or a pomegranate recipe.   Decisions decisions...

• Like 3

Monday Macros

Weight = 156. Weight loss this week = 1 lb. Total weight loss = 95 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 24/51/25%. Daily avg cals = 2294.  Body Fat = 11.9%.

I need to work harder at getting closer to 2500 cals/day.  

You totally have that pull-up, you just need to train hard this week. There's still time to go rock climbing a time or two as well. Who knows? Might help your upper body strength enough to push you over the edge in time...

I'm going to go rock climbing this Thursday, take a break from pull up work on Friday, then get that pull up done come Saturday :)

You keep hitting it hard; what about a couple of easy days before you make your attempt.

Frankly I'm surprised you haven't hit it; you must have a great power: weight ratio.

I'm blaming my pecs for not being able to get it yet :)  They are the weakest link as they are still recovering from the surgery.  Last week was a pushing it weed due to the assassin mini challenge.  I'm planning on doing fewer, but more focused, reps this week.  Totally resting on Friday and getting it done on Saturday. 

• Like 3

Great job this week! I love that you have to switch out your regular dishes for Christmas dishes. I love getting all the shopping and decorating done by the first week of December - now I have time to enjoy everything. This week I hung up the boughs, put the ornaments on the Christmas ficus, and broke out the old Christmas puzzle. Just a few more details and then the cookies. :) 

Oh, and I saw a guy doing kettlebells at my gym today - it looked super fun and badass. I might have to give it a try next challenge.

• Like 1

Week 6 - Day 2.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Rest day.  First one for pull up progressions in a while.  

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell. 

Turkish Get Ups - Today I did three sets from each side with the 16 kg KB.

I'm going to have to find a good pomegranate recipe.  

• Like 2

Found this article on goblet squats, thought you might find it interesting http://rkcblog.dragondoor.com/

Thanks;

I'm going to think about this lady when I have an excuse to lay off a training session...

She required multiple surgeries to remove excessive bone growths. She has some bones that are shorter than others as well as bowed limbs. She has the inability to fully straighten her arms and legs—and of course, all of that affects her movement and ability to do many of the exercises I would normally use in training. To top it all off, she was run over by farming equipment and suffered severe injuries. Helen is one tough broad!

Oh...  That was from today's entry.  

The Hacks for an Iron Clad Goblet Squat post is a good one, found a couple cues I'm going to try.  Thanks for the link :)

• Like 1

Thanks;

I'm going to think about this lady when I have an excuse to lay off a training session...

She required multiple surgeries to remove excessive bone growths. She has some bones that are shorter than others as well as bowed limbs. She has the inability to fully straighten her arms and legs—and of course, all of that affects her movement and ability to do many of the exercises I would normally use in training. To top it all off, she was run over by farming equipment and suffered severe injuries. Helen is one tough broad!

Oh...  That was from today's entry.  

The Hacks for an Iron Clad Goblet Squat post is a good one, found a couple cues I'm going to try.  Thanks for the link :)

The story must be a new one, I haven't read it. Sounds inspiring. 

Week 6 - Day 3.  A day late.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

I did a couple of negatives today. 

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day.

A lot of recipes that feature pomegranate use  pomegranate molasses.  So I thought I'd make up a batch of pom. molasses.  Then I went shopping for pom juice and oh my.... There's one heck of a lot of sugar in pom juice.

• Like 2

I just went with a salad that uses the seeds (or arils). It was very good. There are always some where the seed core is too big or hard to chew and that makes it a little hard to eat them in something like a salad, but they're still good.

Week 6 - Day 4.  A day late.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Today I did a couple sets of assisted and negative pull ups.  Only 3 more days to get this done. 

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Rest day.

Still not sure what I'm going to do :) .

• Like 2

Week 6 - Day 5.  A day late.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Today I did assisteds with all the band sizes, paying particular attention to the last 1/4 of the movement.  I've got just two days left to get this done. 

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

I started working on the yard this morning, and didn't finish up until it was time to go get the granddaughter from school.  So, another rest day for kettlebells.

I'm going to go ahead and make pomegranate syrup.  I can always give it as a gift to someone who enjoys sugar :)

• Like 2

Week 6 - Day 6.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Rest day.   Tomorrow is 'the' day.  

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

Kettlebell Swings - Five sets of 10, one handed, each hand, with a 24 kg kettlebell.  Rested to a heart rate of 100 BPM.  Time to complete my swings 18:15 minutes.  This was the first time I've tested since progressing to swinging only the 24 kg kettlebell.

Turkish Get Ups - Today I did four sets from each side with the 16 kg KB.  The shoulder is feeling much better, but still was a little sore in the 4th set.  

Cooking tomorrow.

My kettlebell trainer had a Christmas party for his clients this evening.  It was fun hanging out with other's who really enjoy swinging cannonballs.  All ages, all sizes and all really loving kettlebells.  

• Like 4

Okay, that's a drop ceiling. He did that on purpose.

Or he has friend who said "hey, we installed a pull up bar for you" :)

tumblr_lxx2f7KR531r8z5tyo1_400.jpg

pull-ups-meme-300x227.jpg

Pro tip - Don't do this:

ou6t60.gif

Those are awesome.  Than you Sir!

• Like 2