• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jrosto

Jrosto - A Barbarian Pulls His Own Weight

Week 6 - Day 7.

1.  Pull my own Weight:

Success!  I got my pull up.  

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. 

0/5 for the week.

3.  Learn a New Skill:

0/3  for the challenge.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do:

Rest day.  I'm going to get back into my regular schedule tomorrow.

5.  Super Mario Assassin All-Stars: LEVEL  6 Team Pink

Cooking pomegranate syrup right now.

• Like 3

My contribution to the Assassin's Mini Challenge for Week 6, Bowser's Castle.

While looking around at various pomegranate recipes I saw quite a few that called for the use of pomegranate molasses.  Alton Brown just so happens to have a recipe for pom. sauce/molasses.

Here it is.

Ingredients:

4 c organic pomegranate juice

1/2 c organic sugar

1 TBSP organic fresh lemon juice

Method:

Combine ingredients in a sauce pan that has at least a 3 qt capacity.

Bring to a slow boil while stirring regularly.

Reduce temperature and simmer until:

a. For syrup - the mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups

b. For molassis - the mixture is reduced to 1 cup

Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool for around 20 minutes or so.

Pour into your nice clean jar(s) and let come to room temperature.

jr sauce reduction tip.  How do you know when a sauce/syrup is reduced to x volume or percentage of original?  This recipe called for a reduction to 1 1/2 cups.  I poured 1 1/2 cups of pom juice into the pan, then dipped the handle of a wooden spoon in the liquid.  I marked the spoon at the level of the liquid and that's my gauge when I'm cooking.  If it calls for a % of original volume, I still use a wooden spoon, but measure before starting cooking and then mark the spoon at the correct %.  No more guesswork  :)

Today I made syrup as a Christmas gift.

23704C28-01F2-42C6-8807-62E8F7833FCD.jpg

It turned out very nicely.  Still has a very strong pomegranate flavor and does not taste as sweet as it is.

Nutrients for a 2 TBSP serving. 

Cals - 121

Fat - 0 gr

Carbs - 30 gr

Sugar - 28 gr

Protein - 0

Vit C - 6%

Edit - I guess I should read the rules before cooking.  You are supposed to use a pomegranate, not pomegranate juice  :(

I grew up with pom bushes and we ate pomegranates all the time.  I really dislike the pithy seeds and we would suck the juice off the seeds and spit out the pith.  I never understood using the seeds in a salad or other recipe.

Sorry Team Pink, I blew it.

• Like 2

Week 6 - Week in Reveiw

SMART Quests:

1.  Pull my own Weight: This one is easy, pass or fail.  I will do at least one, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up

I did it! :)  One real, unassisted, not very pretty, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up. Next goal, make it pretty :)

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus.  Incorporate other forms of meditation into the program at least once/week.  This can be an Aikido Guided Meditation vid or a guided meditation app.

Grading my success by the end of the six weeks.

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

Just not motivated to get this one done this time.  I know it has helped my lungs, so I will have to get back at it.

3.  Learn a New Skill: I would like to continue practicing rock climbing.  I really enjoyed starting this quest during the last challenge.   I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. 

I have not  gone to the indoor climbing gym.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell, and the final stretching exercises. 

I will successfully complete this mini quest.  I was doing all my TGU's with 20 kg before I tweaked my shoulder and I  am doing all my swings with 24 kg.  This quest has been successfully completed..

5. Mini Quests:

This week's mini quest physical challenge was to do 600 jumps/push ups, or cook with pomegranate.  I made pomegranate syrup out of pomegranate juice.  Only problem is that we were supposed to use pom's, not the juice.  Epic fail on my part for not reading the instructions. 

This has been a good week, I got my pull up :)  I am pretty darn proud of myself, that was an epic goal for myself.  My next epic pull up goal is to do one all the way up to my transplant scar.  That is going to take some doing.

I'll write up my overall challenge recap tomorrow.

• Like 1

Congratulations on killing that pull-up. It has been really great catching up on your progress, and I appreciate the encouragement you've offered for my first challenge. Awesome work. 

Congratulations!!! I knew you could get that pull-up! You've had a GREAT challenge!

Way to go on the pull-up challenge. That is great!

Congratulations on killing that pull-up. It has been really great catching up on your progress, and I appreciate the encouragement you've offered for my first challenge. Awesome work. 

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.  I have an Epic Quest of doing a pull up all the way to my transplant scar.  Silly me, I thought I could get that done this year.  It's going to take a bit more work, but something to look forward to over the next few challenges :)

First I'll have to work on getting in sets of nice, squared way, tactical pull ups.

• Like 2

Challenge Wrap Up:

Main Quest for 2015: Do a pull up all the way to my transplant scar. 

This is not going to happen.  What has happened is that in striving to accomplish this Epic Quest, I was able to get my first pull up in decades.  That is an awesome success in and of itself.

Main Quest for This Six Week Challenge:  I've had the goal of doing a pull up all the way to my scar on my list for months now, yet I still have not achieved even a simple pull up.  That has to change.  I have 6 weeks to get it done, and I will have a pull up completed by the end of this challenge.

SMART Quests:

1.  Pull my own Weight: This one is easy, pass or fail.  I will do at least one, Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up.  (+1 Str, +1 Con)

A = Complete at least one Tactical Hollow Body Pull Up.

F = Not going to happen.

I did it, squeaked in at the last moment, but it is done :)  +1 STR  +1 CON

2.  Keep Calm and Carry On: An Assassin must be able to control his thoughts and breath. Continue working on box breathing, working up to 10 second boxes to improve breathing and focus.  Incorporate other forms of meditation into the program at least once/week.  This can be an Aikido Guided Meditation vid or a guided meditation app.  (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

A = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 5 times/week.

B = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 4 times/week.

C = Perform breathing and meditation exercises an average of 3 times/week.

F= Anything less.

Surprisingly, this was as epic a failure as getting a pull up was a success.  I averaged less than 3 time/week.  I didn't get any sessions in when we went on travel over Thanksgiving, and just never got back into it.  I am a bit disappointed in myself.

3.  Learn a New Skill: I would like to continue practicing rock climbing.  I really enjoyed starting this quest during the last challenge.   I will visit the local Indoor Climbing Center at least three times during this Challenge. (+1 Sta, +1 Wis)

A = 3 visits to the climbing center.

B= 2 visits to the climbing center.

C= 1 visit to the climbing center.

F= 0 visits to the climbing center.

Another disappointing failure.  This would have been so easy to at least get a point or two in, I enjoy rock climbing.

4.  A Barbarian’s Got to do What a Barbarian’s Got to do: I will continue to perform the Simple and Sinister workout 5 times a week  I need to continue to progress towards owning the Simple portion of the program..  This includes at least one set of the warm up exercises, 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell, and the final stretching exercises. (+1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha)

A = Performing 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell.

B = Performing less than 10 sets of 10 one hand kettlebell swings with a 24 kg kettlebell and 5 sets of 1 (per arm) Turkish Get Ups with a 20 kg kettlebell.

C = 90% participation with 100% effort (100% participation = once every 5 days).

F= less than 90% participation.

This was another epic success :)  I am doing all of my swings with 24 kg, and prior to tweaking my shoulder, I was doing all of my TGU's with 20 kg.  One good thing about tweaking my shoulder is that I was able to work on my get up form.  If any part of my form or movement is not spot on, my shoulder lets me know right away.  When my form is good, there is no issue with my shoulder.  +1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Sta, +1 Cha

5. Mini Quests: For me, the weekly Assassin Mini Quests are an important part of these 6 Week Challenges.  I will continue to support the team to the very best of my ability during this one  :)

I participated in all 6 of the mini challenges, but only successfully completed 5.  I used the wrong ingredient for cooking in the 6th challenge so I can not count it.  Team Pink still kicked challenge butt though.  Great job Team Pink!

Reward for Successful Completion of This Challenge: 

I have not yet decided on this challenge's reward.  I'll update when I do  :).

I never did come up with a reward for successful completion of the challenge.  It's kind of sad, but that may be part of why I didn't do well on a couple of the easier components of this challenge.  Something as simple as a new tee shirt probably would have gotten me to the indoor rock climbing gym.

Motivation: On January 1st, 2015 I received a life saving double lung transplant.  I have to honor the family that gave me the gift of these lungs.  On what is most likely the worst day of their lives they made the decision to help others.  Words cannot express just how much my family and I appreciate this gift. They gave us a future.

I need to take care of these lungs and this body to the very best of my ability.

Here's to an awesome Challenge my Rebel friends!

This was a fun and interesting challenge.  I enjoyed my first term as an Assassin Ambassador.  Following along with the Recruits was very motivating for me.  I'm sorry that I didn't post as often as usual on all of your journals.  I did keep up with reading them, just didn't have to available Mana to comment as much as I would have liked.  

I do appreciate you guys stopping by and leaving your kind words, encouragement, and 'like' button clicks.  Your help really does mean a lot to me.

If anyone is interested, Mr_Wiles is running a short in between challenges challenge here.  We are also doing a kettlebell swing challenge to help keep us swinging over the holidays.  It's basically a Swing 'em if ya got 'em challenge.  The goal is 500 swings/week.

I'll update this thread with any milestones that come up in between challenges.

Have an awesome holiday my friends.

• Like 4

Monday Macros

Weight = 155. Weight loss this week = 1 lb. Total weight loss = 96 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 23/52/25%. Daily avg cals = 2357.  Body Fat = 12.2%.

I did a bit better with the cals and carbs this week.  There is still room for improvement though.  I averaged 136 gm/day carbs and would prefer to be closer to 125.  I am happy that I'm keeping them under 150 gm/day.

• Like 4

Congratulations! The next one will be even easier.

They are easier now.  It's still just one per set, but I can do it with good form and hold my chin in the air over the bar for a few seconds :)

• Like 3

For today's Swing Test, I decided to see if I could get my swings done in less than 10 minutes.  I was successful :)

10 x 10 one handed swings with the 24 kg 'bell in 9:25.  One of my major goals for this next challenge will be 10 x 10 24 kg in < 5 min's.

I've got a ways to go because this kicked my butt :)

• Like 4

For today's Swing Test, I decided to see if I could get my swings done in less than 10 minutes.  I was successful :)

10 x 10 one handed swings with the 24 kg 'bell in 9:25.  One of my major goals for this next challenge will be 10 x 10 24 kg in < 5 min's.

I've got a ways to go because this kicked my butt :)

woot!

• Like 2

Monday Macros

Weight = 154. Weight loss this week = 1 lb. Total weight loss = 97 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 19/57/24%. Daily avg cals = 2373.  Body Fat = 12.6%.

I am very happy with my macros this week.  Sugars were a little high at 47 gr/day, but that was only because I've been eating more yogurt for breakfast.  Less than 50 gr/day of overall sugars is still pretty nice.  I think I'm going to have to increase my avg calorie goal to 2600 cals/day.  I do still have a couple of pounds of loose belly fat, but I think I'll still lose that with my current activity level with a few more cals.

Today was a beautiful N. Texas day, just about perfect.  It was a rest day for kettlebells so I blew the leaves off my roof, cleaned my gutters, mulched leaves into the front and back yards and worked on getting in some Vit D :)

• Like 3

Monday Macros

Weight = 155. Weight gain this week = 1 lb. Total weight loss = 96 lbs. Macros for the week = Carb/Fat/Prot - 25/53/22%. Daily avg cals = 2,486.  Body Fat = 11.8%.

Too many carbs, but not bad for over Christmas.

It is near 8:30 PM on New Year's Eve. At this time last year my Sweetie and I were checking into the Emergency Room at UT Southwestern. About an hour earlier in the evening we were with our granddaughter getting ready to take her to a NY's Eve sleepover when we received the call from the Transplant Team. 'The Call', there may be a set of lungs available, get to the hospital now.

The rest, as they say, is history. The lungs were in great shape and we were a match. The procedure was a great success, I work up off the ventilator and 9 days later was on my way home. In February I had a fairly serious Acute Rejection Episode that put me back into the hospital for a week. I was undergoing the same treatment that SARS and MERS patients go through. They were able to halt the rejection, but were not able to kill the virus that started it. I was finally able to beat that bug last month.

My progress since the rejection has been pretty amazing. I've come from barely being able to stand on my own and walk to doing pull ups and swinging kettlebells. I am in the best shape that I've been in for decades and I am really enjoying life with my Sweetie.

Tonight is an awesome night for my family and I, it is the night I literally got my second shot at life. There is one family that is grieving tonight, and I hope that they receive some comfort in knowing that their loss has significantly helped others. I think of my donor family often, especially over the past couple of weeks. 

Happy New Years my friends. Life is pretty great smile.png

• Like 5

It is near 8:30 PM on New Year's Eve. At this time last year my Sweetie and I were checking into the Emergency Room at UT Southwestern. About an hour earlier in the evening we were with our granddaughter getting ready to take her to a NY's Eve sleepover when we received the call from the Transplant Team. 'The Call', there may be a set of lungs available, get to the hospital now.

The rest, as they say, is history. The lungs were in great shape and we were a match. The procedure was a great success, I work up off the ventilator and 9 days later was on my way home. In February I had a fairly serious Acute Rejection Episode that put me back into the hospital for a week. I was undergoing the same treatment that SARS and MERS patients go through. They were able to halt the rejection, but were not able to kill the virus that started it. I was finally able to beat that bug last month.

My progress since the rejection has been pretty amazing. I've come from barely being able to stand on my own and walk to doing pull ups and swinging kettlebells. I am in the best shape that I've been in for decades and I am really enjoying life with my Sweetie.

Tonight is an awesome night for my family and I, it is the night I literally got my second shot at life. There is one family that is grieving tonight, and I hope that they receive some comfort in knowing that their loss has significantly helped others. I think of my donor family often, especially over the past couple of weeks. 

Happy New Years my friends. Life is pretty great smile.png

Awesome story. You are an inspiration.