Office Treats in my FACE

So I have a little bit of a dilemma. I'm currently doing the 30-Day Paleo Challenge, and so far I feel like I've been doing really well. I've resisted all the office treats that have been available, and turn down all offers.

Today someone in my office who I'm friendly with brought in some homemade fudge (with marshmallows and walnuts). I'd heard he had some so I planned to not pass his desk (why tempt myself if I don't have to?). He was nice enough to bring me three pieces of fudge to my desk and when I tried to politely decline, he seemed slightly offended and determined to have me try his fudge. Fortunately he just left it on my desk and walked away. I put the fudge in my desk drawer (out of sight, out of mind), but now I don't know what to do.

Do I:

1. Take a bite and throw the rest away so I can say how good it was.

2. Throw it away and LIE ("It was DELICIOUS, thank you so much!" - which could just encourage him to give me more treats in the future).

3. Throw it away/give to someone else and, if he asks, explain why I can't have it (he didn't let me explain before that it's not part of my "nutrition plan" as I've been telling people)

How do you deal with temptations/tricky situations such as this? I'm pretty sure I'm going with 3., but I'm always worried about offending someone :-/

Edit: Before I had a chance to post this, said fudge-maker came by and asked if I'd tried it. I quickly told him I was saving it for my roommate because he loves fudge (might not exactly be a lie), and thanked him. He said, "Okay..." like "You don't know what you're missing." No, sir. I DO know what I'm missing. *crunches on a carrot stick*

I would have just declined it and said no thank you. Some people just don't understand and want to bring you down. Just take him to the side and talk to him explaining things if you really want to. Just explain that you're trying something to help your health so you can feel better about yourself. Your change in lifestyle is, in no way, an excuse not to have his tasty treat, you're just really trying to stick with your new changes.

For situations like these where they leave it at your desk, pass it off to someone else, such as you did.

And don't worry about offending him since he clearly offended you by disregarding your repeated no thank yous.

Or you can take the disproportionate response and start throwing it at his face until he leaves your office. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

politely declining is perfectly acceptable. having to lie about it sucks, so saying, 'i'm trying to lay off sweets for a bit' is reasonable and puts the message out that you won't be wanting any snacks for the foreseeable future as well.

it seems like every other day is someone's birthday in my office, and i've had to explain to a few people that i dont eat a lot of sweets, and word seems to have gotten around. it's annoying at first, because you shouldn't have to explain your eating habits to people, but after awhile, they catch on.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

i'd just eat one and share the rest with other staff... i'm willing to take a bullet for my peeps... i may need something from that person later and now i own them... i let them know that i'm eating what they brought because they're special to me... and i expect the same consideration when i want them to do something for me... build those relationships baby...

netnet... i don't let leveling up my fitness interfere with leveling up my professional life...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

i also keep candy around because sometimes staff bring their kids into my office. i don't eat it but i like giving visiting kids a treat. what they choose to do with it is up to them and i always look to the parent first for permission to give it to the kid. this is a social norm where i work and i think it breeds cordiality. if you can't exercise self control about what you eat, that's the eater's problem, not the problem of someone extending a gift, in my opinion.

i also like to have candy around and i get satisfaction from being able to not want to eat it.

i don't push candy or snacks on people as per the original poster though, but i also wouldn't return scorn when someone is extending a gift to me.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I would have had 1/2 a piece, enough to taste it and be polite, then gave him the rest back and told him it was delicious but I couldn't eat all of it because of my dietary choices.

edit: if it sucked i woulda told him that too, but common, fudge is kinda hard to make BAD.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

JustSayNo1.jpg

this guy's a perfect example of someone who says no and gives people a ready excuse to return no as a response...

do you like my sweater? no

does my stubble look sexy? no

do you like my haircut? no

do you like that i dress the way my mom dressed me in 3rd grade? no

am i likeable? no

wanna go out? no

I definitely considered the "allergy" angle, but if I do decide after the challenge (thinking about extending it into a 60-day challenge) to incorporate a tad of dairy into my diet, or indulge in treats on the rare occasion, I don't want him to be all, "But... I thought you were allergic..." I guess that'd convince me to stick to Paleo ;-)

@ryanmercer - stay strong (love the avatar)

@ETF - I have candy at my desk too. My main job is managing the front desk, so my boss has me put out candy every day. I am so proud to say that I've been tempted a couple times, but have not had any since before the Paleo challenge began :) I'm thinking about bringing in some Paleo-friendly treats to put out. In my experience, if fruit and veggies are there, people will eat them.

this guy's a perfect example of someone who says no and gives people a ready excuse to return no as a response...

do you like my sweater? no

does my stubble look sexy? no

do you like my haircut? no

do you like that i dress the way my mom dressed me in 3rd grade? no

am i likeable? no

wanna go out? no

Don't knock it til you try it ;-)

I politely tell people: "While I'm sure it's tasty, and you worked hard on it... I am trying to make my life longer by living healthier. Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to have to say no." They got the hint after a while and don't even stop by my desk anymore. Maybe the people I work with are awesome, but not a one of them were offended. Of course, I change the message with family some... depending on the person. Some you need more finesse with than others. :)

Bottom line, if you truly don't want it, don't take it. If the person offering can't accept that, then they're having trouble with YOU changing and that is on THEM not on you. :)

STR 5 * DEX 5.5 * STA 12.5 * CON 7.75 * WIS 7.75 * CHA 3

My Fitness Pal

The allergy angle is awesome... but I could see that getting complicated if you're not sure where you're going post challenge.

I politely decline and then go back to what I was doing. If you continue to look at the person it kind of opens your statement up for discussion. Like you're expecting a reply. Even if it's a matter of, "Oh, that does look great, but no thanks." turn away, type something, turn back and say something else unrelated. It moves things along and diverts attention. It sounds like a bit of work but it's not really. And eventually, if you just keep saying no they'll stop asking.

Another thing I try, is "I'm all 'treats'ed out." It implies I've recently over indulged and am feeling icky. Also keeps people from getting all in my business about it.

Or, just let them know flat out that it's not something in line with what you're doing. They may not understand but who gives a what?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

what laura types on her desk after she turns away:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1470[/ATTACH]

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

AHHH!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

AHHH!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

:) i knew it! and you're totally smirking as you type that too. i can tell.

also, this article seems pretty timely for this thread. didn't really read the whole thing, but i'm sure there are some takeaways that apply here: http://lifehacker.com/5875337/how-to-say-no-without-being-an-asshole

Ahahahaha! This.

:) i knew it! and you're totally smirking as you type that too. i can tell.

also, this article seems pretty timely for this thread. didn't really read the whole thing, but i'm sure there are some takeaways that apply here: http://lifehacker.com/5875337/how-to-say-no-without-being-an-asshole

Also this. Great article, I should really check out that site more often!