Gryffindarlings - Their strength speaks for itself

Annyshay captured the epic tale in short:

A long long time ago (ok, two, three challenges ago) in a random corner of the internet, the headmaster and headmistress of Nerdwarts decreed that there would be a Quidditch cup.  Gryffindor was full of Lady Lions that were willing to take on this challenge.  In their first match, they were pitted against Hufflepuff and some truly fearsome competitiors (Trewest, Mr Wiles, etc.) known for putting up ridiculous numbers.  The Lady Lions, however, were a team of Gryffindors and quite brave.  They banded together and pushed each other beyond what any individual thought she was capable of.  Their group effort ended up securing the victory for Gryffindor.  All the other houses changed their strategy after this initial match when it became clear that the Lady Lions would not be intimidated by large numbers and would not fail each other no matter what the challenge.  We developed close bonds during that mini-challenge, and have vowed to keep pushing each other for the glory of Gryffindor!

This challenge we are going from strength to strength. Exactly how yet, I'm not sure... lionesses are not known for planning ahead and working things out. No actually they are, so to start off with next week (or now if you're an early bird) share your plans for strength gains. Whether physical or mental strength, share where you are now, and where you are aiming to go. Then how you plan to get there.

lion-and-lioness.jpg

• Like 5

Mrs.Van Starting from Scratch 🦸  👱‍♀️

A long long time ago (ok, two, three challenges ago) in a random corner of the internet, the headmaster and headmistress of Nerdwarts decreed that there would be a Quidditch cup.  Gryffindor was full of Lady Lions that were willing to take on this challenge.  In their first match, they were pitted against Hufflepuff and some truly fearsome competitiors (Trewest, Mr Wiles, etc.) known for putting up ridiculous numbers.  The Lady Lions, however, were a team of Gryffindors and quite brave.  They banded together and pushed each other beyond what any individual thought she was capable of.  Their group effort ended up securing the victory for Gryffindor.  All the other houses changed their strategy after this initial match when it became clear that the Lady Lions would not be intimidated by large numbers and would not fail each other no matter what the challenge.  We developed close bonds during that mini-challenge, and have vowed to keep pushing each other for the glory of Gryffindor!

large.gif

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

Assgined to the following Adventuring-Parties:

DryJanuary

WeightLossPvP

Mentally I think I have bitten off more than I can chew... in many aspects. In my challenge I'll be concentrating on learning some martial arts - Aikido style to be precise. That should improve my mental strength and balance, as well as some physical strength and balance. I also think I'll improve mentally if I can manage to go to bed earlier.

9016642982_623fca013d.jpg

On the pure physical side I just want to improve my strength in general by focussing on the following:

• Core-
    • Bridge
    • Core Wheel
    • Deadlifts (yes it is actually whole body)
  • Whole Body Work out via Obstacle Course (mini version in our garden)-
    • Double feet stump jump
    • Bent knees push ups -> proper push ups
    • Inverted, bent knees chin ups -> chin ups
    • Climb over - crawl under
    • Balance beam
    • Vertical and Horizontal hangs and swings
    • Step under the beam (back and legs)
  • If the weather allows I'll try to go walking with my boys.
  • Like 2

ooooooooh I love this all so much! 

Will brainstorm with you, just not tonight as my brain is pretty empty right now, but intention is there and I know that will get something cooking

Love this, did I say that? Can't say a good thing too often :D

Thanks for setting it up, Elize, you're a star  :star:

• Like 3

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

ooooooooh I love this all so much! 

Will brainstorm with you, just not tonight as my brain is pretty empty right now, but intention is there and I know that will get something cooking

Love this, did I say that? Can't say a good thing too often :D

Thanks! See my lioness in the tree picture with regards to my brain and mental capacity at the moment... At least I'm not alone, and yes, we will get there and get going.

• Like 2

Aikido is awesome. I have a little bit of training with it, and doing more is on my list of things to do eventually.

Also, this challenge should go nicely with my regular challenge. This (coming) week, I'm going to improve my core strength by following week 9 of my rehab plan. Probably not going to be able to see much difference in a week, but I currently have around a 2-finger-wide diastasis rectii, and my goal is to make it go away.

• Like 4

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Thinking off the top of my head here...

Maybe for one week we all pick out our weakest area (for me it's my wrists) and give that body part a little extra attention. We are only as strong as our weakest link! :). Another week could be focusing on reaching a new AMRAP or increasing the weight on a particular exercise. Another could be focusing on protein for building strength, post a recipe, or share tips for getting more protein in your diet. Then we can look into mental strength like Meditation, sunlight, reading, etc.. Another idea for mental strength is to do something that you have been putting off. Like a doctor's appointment or phone call to the insurance company. :/

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Thanks for the invitation! I love this idea. Could really need an extra push to try some new strenght-related stuff ...

Since I know I'm going to have to do something I find incredibly scary in the last week of the challenge (reading in public -- gargh), an idea (similar to Lightning's above) is to maybe do something you're afraid of -- or just something to do with thinking about how to tackle fears?

For physical strenght, I also like the idea of focussing one a certain area one week. Or maybe to think of an area you want to work on and find a new exercise for that area?

• Like 3

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

I LOVE YOU, 'DARLINGS!!!!

Picture-of-the-Day-Lioness-Gives-Buddy-a

I'm going to need everyone's help with this one. All inputs are welcomed!

Thanks for getting us going, Elize.  Don't worry.  We're all in this together!!!

^^ this

Thanks! See my lioness in the tree picture with regards to my brain and mental capacity at the moment... At least I'm not alone, and yes, we will get there and get going.

Also this.  No one is alone!  Interested in your thoughts on Aikido.  It is the martial art that appeals to me the most...

Aikido is awesome. I have a little bit of training with it, and doing more is on my list of things to do eventually.

Also, this challenge should go nicely with my regular challenge. This (coming) week, I'm going to improve my core strength by following week 9 of my rehab plan. Probably not going to be able to see much difference in a week, but I currently have around a 2-finger-wide diastasis rectii, and my goal is to make it go away.

Very cool, Elennare.  What sort of core stuff are you up to?

Maybe for one week we all pick out our weakest area (for me it's my wrists) and give that body part a little extra attention. We are only as strong as our weakest link! :). Another week could be focusing on reaching a new AMRAP or increasing the weight on a particular exercise. Another could be focusing on protein for building strength, post a recipe, or share tips for getting more protein in your diet. Then we can look into mental strength like Meditation, sunlight, reading, etc.. Another idea for mental strength is to do something that you have been putting off. Like a doctor's appointment or phone call to the insurance company. :/

You are the idea machine, Lightning.  I love all of this.  Maybe also something to increase our social strength?  Random acts of kindness??  I dunno.  Weakest link is a BRILLIANT plan.  Also, all the meditating!

Thanks for the invitation! I love this idea. Could really need an extra push to try some new strenght-related stuff ...

Since I know I'm going to have to do something I find incredibly scary in the last week of the challenge (reading in public -- gargh), an idea (similar to Lightning's above) is to maybe do something you're afraid of -- or just something to do with thinking about how to tackle fears?

For physical strenght, I also like the idea of focussing one a certain area one week. Or maybe to think of an area you want to work on and find a new exercise for that area?

New exercise, yes!  Also love the do something your afraid of (and by love, I mean am already terrified...).

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Had some of the same thoughts. Also for mental strength is to not give in to those little lies that Annyshay made us attent on in the previous challenge. If you face them, and overcome them, practice anyway... you mentally won.

Edit: Had to add that I love everyone's ideas, only read them after I posted this. I'm slow this morning... Which brings me to ...

ateam2-e1425576486425.jpg

And of course one of my heroes of the moment ;)

C4M9azM.png

• Like 4

Lightning, you are a bomb, love all of this.

I also really like the random act of kindness idea, Annyshay. Social strength, yes.

Wow it looks like we got a plan overnight :)

Awesome ladies awesome!!

• Like 3

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

[i'm going to write these weekly goals into a memo somewhere - and try to keep track of the comments - then find and award badges (except if someone else has the urge to do it?) every week]

Gryffendarlings Mini Challenge 1 - Ongoing through the current Challenge

You are on the short list to become one of Gryffendarling's Prefects! To earn the badge at the end of the 6 weeks test period, you have to share in week 1:

• what is your weekest link - physically? (wrists, ankles, core, back, something you are struggling with and want to improve).
  • how do you plan on overcoming it? (new exercise, old exercise, routine - something quantifiable) one exercise that you will test yourself with throughout this challenge.
  • give us an AMRAP Start score/point (seconds, reps, weights), which you have to test each Monday, and give the new AMRAP score/point (I'll remind you!).

So you choose one exercise (new or old) on which you will test yourself with each Monday (AMRAP score). Throughout the week you can train whichever way you want, but on a Monday you do that exercise (same way) and give us the score.

• Like 5

Elize!

newgift_superstar.jpg

• Like 2

First strength challenge for me is going to be mental.  How to eat healthy while I'm recovering from this gum graft surgery.  Priority One - how to make veggies soft - maybe do like a squash that I bake so it is something I scoop out of it's skin??  Next - protein besides eggs?  Again, it needs to be soft.  Any ideas?  Cooking tips, recipes welcome.  

kr9elvvdteoknfsuqvko.gif

• Like 5

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 27

current challenge

First strength challenge for me is going to be mental.  How to eat healthy while I'm recovering from this gum graft surgery.  Priority One - how to make veggies soft - maybe do like a squash that I bake so it is something I scoop out of it's skin??  Next - protein besides eggs?  Again, it needs to be soft.  Any ideas?  Cooking tips, recipes welcome.  

kr9elvvdteoknfsuqvko.gif

Thinking.... thinking.... will come back to you!

• Like 1

Might not be protein nor vegetable but frying bananas soft in the pan is my favourite breakfast at the moment.

You can also squash the banana with a fork first and mix it with whisked egg. A bit of cinnamon to it....mmm :)

Baked squash to spoon out sounds great to me.

• Like 2

Greek yogurt.  Vegetable chili.  Homemade chicken noodle or vegetable soup.

For my favorite (easy peasey) veggie chili...

Put cooking fat of choice in a big ole' pot (I like coconut oil, but whatevs).

Chop a bunch of onions and peppers, then saute in ze pot.

Crush some oregano (~1/2 T rolled back and forth in your hands) and mix with chili pepper (2+ T), cumin (1 T), salt, and whatever other spices float your boat.

Mince some garlic and add it to ze pot along with the spices.  Saute until you are drooling from the delicious aromas.

Add a 24 ounce can of diced tomatoes and a can of kidney beans and black beans each.

Bring to a boil, simmer as long as you can stand (at least 30 minutes).

Then, Om Nom.  ;)

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

You are on the short list to become one of Gryffendarling's Prefects! To earn the badge at the end of the 6 weeks test period, you have to share in week 1:

• what is your weekest link - physically? (wrists, ankles, core, back, something you are struggling with and want to improve).
  • how do you plan on overcoming it? (new exercise, old exercise, routine - something quantifiable) one exercise that you will test yourself with throughout this challenge.
  • give us an AMRAP Start score/point (seconds, reps, weights), which you have to test each Monday, and give the new AMRAP score/point (I'll remind you!).

So you choose one exercise (new or old) on which you will test yourself with each Monday (AMRAP score). Throughout the week you can train whichever way you want, but on a Monday you do that exercise (same way) and give us the score.

• Weakest link is currently my arm strength - both push and pull.
  • I plan on overcoming this by sticking to my Integral Strength schedule of bodyweight exercises.
  • I'm going to use a dead hang AMRAP to test every Monday.

This really got me thinking, Elize.  Thanks for the brilliant first challenge!  I will test AMRAP sometime on or before Monday.

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.