• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rab397

Looking for a buddy/a group of buddies in gmt+1

Hi Rab!

I'm in Southern Sweden, and it's about time I got my bum into gear and actually completed a challenge properly, so I'm happy to keep you accountable! I haven't quite got round to working out what my challenge will consist of exactly, so I'll have a quick think about that overnight so you can do the same for me.

Which aspects do you particularly need accountability with?

• Like 1

Hi Rab!

I'm in Southern Sweden, and it's about time I got my bum into gear and actually completed a challenge properly, so I'm happy to keep you accountable! I haven't quite got round to working out what my challenge will consist of exactly, so I'll have a quick think about that overnight so you can do the same for me.

Which aspects do you particularly need accountability with?

Hi Sulinar!

Thanks for the reply, my biggest obstacle are food related goals and keeping challenges going through the weekends. If you could help me with that that would be great. A link to my current challenge is in my signature.

How could i help you?

Sent from the past

Hmmm... well I mostly just need someone I can report back to every couple of days about exercising to say "I did what I planned". I'm self-employed and that means that my own needs tend to get pushed to the back of the queue behind the constant demands of clients. Like, this morning I got up at 9 am, dug out my workout clothes and then remembered that I had an urgent job to deliver for 11 am - so I'm sitting at the computer having delivered that but done no exercise and had no breakfast. Sigh.

That said, I've FINALLY managed to get my nutrition sorted over the last few months (not sure how, exactly, it's just happened). So I know it's possible for me to change my habits eventually.

I see you're trying to give up on candy and soda. How much are you consuming currently, and what are you going to replace them with? It helps if you have a fall back strategy for those times where you really want something!

• Like 1

Hmmm... well I mostly just need someone I can report back to every couple of days about exercising to say "I did what I planned". I'm self-employed and that means that my own needs tend to get pushed to the back of the queue behind the constant demands of clients. Like, this morning I got up at 9 am, dug out my workout clothes and then remembered that I had an urgent job to deliver for 11 am - so I'm sitting at the computer having delivered that but done no exercise and had no breakfast. Sigh.

That said, I've FINALLY managed to get my nutrition sorted over the last few months (not sure how, exactly, it's just happened). So I know it's possible for me to change my habits eventually.

I see you're trying to give up on candy and soda. How much are you consuming currently, and what are you going to replace them with? It helps if you have a fall back strategy for those times where you really want something!

Well being self employed also gives you the option to flex your time. So why not workout after 11 am for example?

It is good to know that you can change your habits. Those changes can encourage you to keep going!

At the moment all soda is being replaced with water and tea. And candy i am going for healthier alternatives. Like ruce wafers, fruits or whole grain biscuits. That way i still get to munch but with less calories.

The reason i am cutting candy is because 1 leads to 10 and i am addiction prone. My consumption before was limited to impulse bought candies.

Sent from the past

Yeah, I do work out after 11 am - only I prefer to work out before eating, and if I get to the point where I can't do anything else before eating then I can't work out for a couple of hours, do you see what I mean? 

You're right, I do feel that I can change my habits now, and that is indeed a major source of motivation.

Water and tea are good (providing you aren't adding loads of sugar to the tea!) Black tea or green or what?

I can recommend dark chocolate as an alternative to candy - if you get 70-80% chocolate you can't eat very much of it at a time because it's too strong. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I do work out after 11 am - only I prefer to work out before eating, and if I get to the point where I can't do anything else before eating then I can't work out for a couple of hours, do you see what I mean? 

You're right, I do feel that I can change my habits now, and that is indeed a major source of motivation.

Water and tea are good (providing you aren't adding loads of sugar to the tea!) Black tea or green or what?

I can recommend dark chocolate as an alternative to candy - if you get 70-80% chocolate you can't eat very much of it at a time because it's too strong. 

At this point mostly black tea but i am thinking of switching to green in a while.

I am learning to eat dark chocolate but for now i totaly cut it out for the challenge :P

My girlfriend on the other hand she eat 96% dark chocolate... she is CRAZYYY D:

96%? Wow. But they do vary - even the ones that are meant to have a high cacao content often have loads of other cheaper ingredients in. I generally go with an 81% one from Lidl, and that's nicely bitter. But I've eaten things that are supposed to be higher than that in cacao and found them way too sweet.

So how's it going with the avoiding candy and soda? Are you keeping track of how you feel about these things as well as how much/little you're consuming too?

I've been madly busy this week and not had much time to post, but a couple of times (like tonight) I've ended up doing my yoga at midnight or thereabouts just so I didn't have to report back that I hadn't done it!

So how's it going with the avoiding candy and soda? Are you keeping track of how you feel about these things as well as how much/little you're consuming too?

I've been madly busy this week and not had much time to post, but a couple of times (like tonight) I've ended up doing my yoga at midnight or thereabouts just so I didn't have to report back that I hadn't done it!

Well avoiding the candy and soda is going really well! Havent touched annything in the first week of the challenge :) i havent recorded my feelings, perhaps i should. What do you mean with the consuming part? Because according to my challenge i am not allowed anny candy and soda.

Good that you made time for your yoga excercises! So how did the first week.of this challenge go for you?

Sent from the past

What I meant was if you fall off the wagon and have candy/soda despite not being supposed to during the challenge!

And yes, if you're trying to give up something that's a major part of your lifestyle, then it can sometimes help to write about it.

The first week has gone OK, thanks! I'm trying not to be annoyed that I haven't got more walks in because walking isn't really a priority; it's the workouts that are important. I need to build strength and flexibility, and to make activities that promote those part of my routine.

• Like 1

Aah yes i will definitly note that if it happens :)

See how i used if instead of when, changing the whole sound of the sentence.

I will try to write about it

Nice that it went OK, well done on the excercise! Keep it up and just do some walking whenever you have time

Sent from the past

Very good! The language we use is surprisingly important, especially when it comes to goal setting.

Indeed it is. I am trying to watch for it everytime i formulate a sentence on here

Sent from the past

Hey there, I'm in Copenhagen, so I can play in the same timezone. :-) This challenge is mostly focused on 1) controlling how much I drink, especially with Christmas parties starting up soon, and 2) practicing my Danish (I'm American). Ugh, writing this post just reminded me that I didn't write an entry in my "Danish diary" today. My other 2 goals are pretty easy for me to do I think (veggie with every meal and cardio once a week).

I also work from home, and I totally understand getting sucked into work and then having my schedule get twisted around. Luckily I have not had a candy love for a long time, but drinks with friends is sooo hard for me to just have 1.

In addition to my challenge goals, I'm also trying to get to the gym 2 times a week to lift weights, and practicing to do handstands.

Well, off to practice writing some Danish now, and then to the gym for weights tomorrow.

Welcome add1sun! another member of the +1ers :P

The drinking thing is a very good goal and is definitly also an issue for me, social drinking :P 
If i knew some danish i would love to learn! me and the girlfriend consider moving somewhere to scandinavia to teach
Good luck with your goals i am sure you will achieve them

How can we help you with reaching your goals? 

Ha, what's funny is I posted here last night and then today went all blah. I ended up not going to the gym today, or even for a walk. Work is backed up for me right now and I got sucked in to catching up.  That said, I could and should have gone. It isn't one of my challenge goals to go lift weights, but I still feel like I was a slacker today. Tomorrow I'm going bouldering, and I plan to work out after I climb there. 

I think the main thing for my goals is to have someone to report in to. I'm not getting off to a good start with that, but I'm determined to not come back tomorrow and say I didn't work out again!

To bad man but we all have those days that we can't make it. You have the right mind set in making up for it tomorow! 
Could you explain to me what bouldering is? because i have no idea what it is.

And well for reporting in, you are at the right place here :D

Oh sure! Bouldering is when you go rock climbing without any ropes, at low heights (like a few meters). I love it! (Though I'm not nearly so good as the people in this video.)

• Like 1

Oh sure! Bouldering is when you go rock climbing without any ropes, at low heights (like a few meters). I love it! (Though I'm not nearly so good as the people in this video.)

Oooh that looks amazing definitly want to try that one out!

Hi guys!

I too live in your timezone and would like to help! Im a Texan now living in Amsterdam. I also have two consumption goals, so it sounds like a nice fit. I cannot get the link to work in my signature, but expect to have this soreted when Im back home from work!

• Like 1

Welcome devriesykins! Heh, 2 expats in the crew already. ;-) Rab397, how are you doing on the candy/soda front yourself?

Tonight we have a friend coming over for dinner and it is often quite a beery night with him, so I'm going to have to work hard to limit the beer intake. We'll see how well I hold out! :-P Other than that I feel like I'm doing pretty well with my other goals, had a good night bouldering last night, and I'm back on track with lifting.

Sulinar, how are you doing with your workouts?

The candy/soda front is going really great! none so far, and when i get the need for soda i have a nice replacement, freshly sqeeuzed orange juice! Not the store bought crap but really freshly sqeeuzed. 
Devriesykins a fellow duchie! Hello :D
Well done on the bouldering and lifting front Sun! Keep it up! 

And for the beers, you could try to drink 1 to his 2 beers :) it will limit the intake requires you to drink slower