Jem strikes back

JediJem

Let's have an epic ending to the year, shall we? Yes we will!

There's a ridiculous amount of stuff going on over the next couple of months, but I NEED to start prioritising my health. The last challenge I set myself easy, simple goals, but since I didn't stick to them I will be tougher on myself this time round - and aim higher.

1. Eat like a jedi: Do jedi down an entire tub of B&J's cinnamon buns just because they had a bad day? I don't think so. Jedi eat what is necessary to keep their body healthy, and no more than that.

- Track my food on MFP and not average more than 1400/ day (net) every week

- At least 5 portions of fruit and veg every day

- 8 glasses water/ herbal tea per day

2. Escape the empire: The empire in this case being England... I've just started tracking all my walking and running on My Virtual Mission (thanks to wanderingcavegirl for the tip) and the ultimate aim of my mission is to get to Sweden from London - however, for this challenge I want to get across the channel and into France. To do that I have to walk/ run around 25k/ week which is totally doable.

3. Use the force: This year has been tough, to say the least. Depression and burnout hit me really badly, and I've needed to really look hard at my priorities. I've been meditating sporadically, but am going to make this a habit again. Further, my sleeping patterns aren't exactly amazing. So:

- 10 minutes meditation every day, preferably building up in length over the course of the challenge

- No computer/ smartphone after 10pm

- In bed by midnight Sun-Thursday

- Up by 7am Mon-Friday

Bonus - by the end of this challenge I will have found a new martial arts (probably kickboxing) club to train with. Come 2016 I shall be a practicing monk once more. :)

Bonne chance, everyone!

• Like 1

Always kick higher

Nice goals. I should incorporate meditation in my challenge again, too.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I totally hear you about the frustrations with the last challenge. I did OK with a few things, but totally failed in the bigger things. You can do it though! Seems like your goals are reasonable and achievable. Although cinnamon buns are pretty great...

My Virtual Mission seems way cool! If you make it, you should reward yourself with a trip to Sweden to celebrate. Although maybe not in the middle of winter...although it would be cheap? And with fewer tourists? 

I can relate about the depression and burnout. Last summer was like that for me. I am in a better place now, but these things can be tenuous. Meditating helps, as does sleeping well, but unfortunately I am not too consistent with my meditation and sleep hygiene. 

Good luck finding a new martial arts club! Any leads thus far? 

My Virtual Mission seems way cool! If you make it, you should reward yourself with a trip to Sweden to celebrate. Although maybe not in the middle of winter...although it would be cheap? And with fewer tourists?

I can relate about the depression and burnout. Last summer was like that for me. I am in a better place now, but these things can be tenuous. Meditating helps, as does sleeping well, but unfortunately I am not too consistent with my meditation and sleep hygiene.

Good luck finding a new martial arts club! Any leads thus far?

I really like My Virtual Mission! I had been looking for something like that for a while so I'm glad I found it. I am a big fan of apps for keeping track of my various health and fitness challenges!

I actually *am* going to Sweden IRL this winter - I'm from there (although I've lived in the UK for 20+ years) so I'm going back to spend Xmas with my family. Can't wait!!

Regarding kickboxing clubs; I have a few I want to check out. I'm trying to tempt my BF back to martial arts as well (he used to do Muay Thai) as I think it would be cool to do something together. But I will start regardless!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Always kick higher

I really like My Virtual Mission! I had been looking for something like that for a while so I'm glad I found it. I am a big fan of apps for keeping track of my various health and fitness challenges!

I actually *am* going to Sweden IRL this winter - I'm from there (although I've lived in the UK for 20+ years) so I'm going back to spend Xmas with my family. Can't wait!!

Regarding kickboxing clubs; I have a few I want to check out. I'm trying to tempt my BF back to martial arts as well (he used to do Muay Thai) as I think it would be cool to do something together. But I will start regardless!

Well, having Sweden as your virtual destination seems a lot less random now, haha. It's always a place I've really wanted to go...although maybe not in the dead of winter. I bet the spring is nice there, right? Of maybe the fall? I will have to think of a virtual destination as well. I've always wanted to see New Zealand as well. But that may take awhile. 

Good luck with getting back into the swing of things with martial arts! You two are a couple I would not want to mess with...

• Like 1

Well, having Sweden as your virtual destination seems a lot less random now, haha. It's always a place I've really wanted to go...although maybe not in the dead of winter. I bet the spring is nice there, right? Of maybe the fall? I will have to think of a virtual destination as well. I've always wanted to see New Zealand as well. But that may take awhile. 

Good luck with getting back into the swing of things with martial arts! You two are a couple I would not want to mess with...

If you don't like dark and cold, no, don't go in winter! I love it, but I'm a little strange (and I grew up with it). :) Otherwise I think summer would be the best time; we often get good summers (not usually sweltering, but much warmer than most people imagine) and if you go end of June/ early July it doesn't get dark at all!

• Like 1

Always kick higher

If you don't like dark and cold, no, don't go in winter! I love it, but I'm a little strange (and I grew up with it). :) Otherwise I think summer would be the best time; we often get good summers (not usually sweltering, but much warmer than most people imagine) and if you go end of June/ early July it doesn't get dark at all!

Today I made chocolate peanut butter cookies to my stepmum's recipe. I just worked out the nutritional content...let's just say I won't be having too many of those once the challenge start. O.o

That must be great with those long summer days. I can't even imagine that. I was in Ireland over the summer and loved their long days. Though maybe sleep is hard at times?

Those chocolate peanut butter cookies sound amazing...after the challenge.  

So what did I do the first day of the challenge?

- I ate my greens

- I drank my water

- I stayed under 1400 calories

- I made a 2.5k progress on escaping the empire

I have not yet meditated but will do so right before bedtime. So far so good. :)

• Like 2

Always kick higher

So what did I do the first day of the challenge?

- I ate my greens

- I drank my water

- I stayed under 1400 calories

- I made a 2.5k progress on escaping the empire

I have not yet meditated but will do so right before bedtime. So far so good. :)

Nice job! Good start! And nice work with your first steps toward Sweden! 

How did the meditating go?

Meditation was good, although I haven't found an app (yes, I admit, I have an app addiction problem) that I like as much as the meditation timer I had on my iPhone. At the end of the day I only need something that will make a noise after the time is up (and they all do that) but I like things that look pretty too!

Always kick higher

Meditation was good, although I haven't found an app (yes, I admit, I have an app addiction problem) that I like as much as the meditation timer I had on my iPhone. At the end of the day I only need something that will make a noise after the time is up (and they all do that) but I like things that look pretty too!

Nice! I need to get back into meditation again. My practice of it tends to come and go. I have used and liked the calm.com app, but I am sure you have tried that already. There are also some good guided meditations on Youtube (Jon Kabat-Zinn is good), but guided meditations may not be your thing, and that's cool too. 

The solution is simple. We kill the bat— I mean, you go back to iPhone. I iMessage Ken all the time and since then he's been less grumpy. =D

• Like 1

One shot, one life.

The solution is simple. We kill the bat— I mean, you go back to iPhone. I iMessage Ken all the time and since then he's been less grumpy. =D

I've taken a sacred vow to never go back to iPhone but feel free to whatsapp me whenever you like. Less grumpy sounds like a nice change of pace. :)

Always kick higher

Three days into the challenge and I'm already slipping... Doing well on getting my fruit and veg, less well (though not disasterously) on drinking enough water, pretty bad on staying under 1400 cals/ day, and *very* poorly on escaping the empire. Going for a run tonight should help with two of those.

I have however been getting up by 7am (entirely thanks to the challenge - yay!), including this morning despite staying up binge watching the last few episodes of Sense8 until past midninght last night. I'm using the Calm app for meditating and quite like it. Gently steering back on course.

• Like 1

Always kick higher