Jem strikes back

JediJem

Also; found a kickboxing gym that I really want to try out, and they do free taster sessions. BF is away at the moment but when he comes back next week I'm going to suggest that we go and check out a class. Cannot express in words how excited I am at the thought of starting training again!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Always kick higher

Going lower than 1400 calories a day is hard. You're barely above the 'starvation' line at that point. Beyond fruits and veggies, how satisfying is the food you eat? Like, does it help you fill up?

IMO, feeling satisfied is a poor measure of whether you're eating enough.  The body shuts down hunger pretty fast if the calories dip below the BMR for too long.  1400 does sound very low for an active adult.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Super cool! Glad you found a gym that worked for you.

Going lower than 1400 calories a day is hard. You're barely above the 'starvation' line at that point. Beyond fruits and veggies, how satisfying is the food you eat? Like, does it help you fill up?

IMO, feeling satisfied is a poor measure of whether you're eating enough.  The body shuts down hunger pretty fast if the calories dip below the BMR for too long.  1400 does sound very low for an active adult.

The 1400 is net calories, so on days that I'm active, I eat more. For example yesterday, my total intake was close to 1900 but because of going for a run my net total landed around 1200 - I would have eaten more if I hadn't fallen asleep really early and slept through until this morning! On days that I overeat (and I don't mean by a couple of hundred calories, I don't worry about those - this is more like 1000+ calories over goal), it is never down to hunger and always down to stress/ emotional eating. That is the habit I am trying to break.

• Like 1

Always kick higher

The 1400 is net calories, so on days that I'm active, I eat more. For example yesterday, my total intake was close to 1900 but because of going for a run my net total landed around 1200 - I would have eaten more if I hadn't fallen asleep really early and slept through until this morning! On days that I overeat (and I don't mean by a couple of hundred calories, I don't worry about those - this is more like 1000+ calories over goal), it is never down to hunger and always down to stress/ emotional eating. That is the habit I am trying to break.

Phew. That's good. I was afraid you'd gone super low. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Hokay, so, stress/eating the feelz. Okay. That's a different problem. I don't know how to fix that one. I'm working on it myself. ^_^; I mean, I have a hunch it's tied to mindset and habit, but I don't know, you know? Sorry for that.

The baking continues... This weekend it's blondies. Now, I *am* trying to reduce my sugar intake, but actually baking has helped me with this before. Many years ago when I also needed to lose some weight, I set up a plan where I could eat as much cake as I wanted, as long as I'd baked it myself. Any store bought products were out of bounds, as were any other types of comfort/ junk food like sweets, crisps etc. I like this approach because (a) I know exactly what goes into the stuff I eat; no weird additives, and (B) I tend to eat less, and without binging. I'm going to go with this for a while and see how I get on.

• Like 4

Always kick higher

I use Stop, Breathe & Think! app on my phone to meditate as it's free but a few of my friends swear by Headspace. Also when we bake we use honey or maple syrup for sweetness instead of refined sugar as it's unprocessed, works pretty well. Congrats on a good first week! 

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

I set up a plan where I could eat as much cake as I wanted, as long as I'd baked it myself. Any store bought products were out of bounds, as were any other types of comfort/ junk food like sweets, crisps etc. I like this approach because (a) I know exactly what goes into the stuff I eat; no weird additives, and ( B) I tend to eat less, and without binging.

I really like this approach. It makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'll have to try something similar with breads and tortillas.

WhiteBeltBrowncoat | Four-week Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Current

Goal: Weigh 238 lbs by 10/14/2018 SW(201809112):245.9 / CW(201800917):244.2

Think Progress, Not Perfection

I use Stop, Breathe & Think! app on my phone to meditate as it's free but a few of my friends swear by Headspace. Also when we bake we use honey or maple syrup for sweetness instead of refined sugar as it's unprocessed, works pretty well. Congrats on a good first week! 

I've used both, and stuck with SBT. Headspace is great too, specially the guided meditations.

Jem, don't be so hard on yourself! Life's got enough of that without our help. Focus on kicking life on the chin. 

One shot, one life.

Only eating sweets you make is a good rule of thumb. It's easy to eat mindlessly when you had no hand in the work it took to make something. Also, you avoid the food that has been perfectly engineered to keep your brain from saying it's had enough.

• Like 1

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

I will bake my own cakes, she said. I will eat less that way, she said. Hmmm... Well, at least I *do* know what goes into the stuff I eat!!

I've not been doing brilliantly so far this challenge, but I had a real wake-up call today regarding how not drinking enough water affects me, so I'm going to try really hard to get better on this point at least. And I've got a veggie soup simmering away on the stove, so I will get my greens today.

Also contacted the kickboxing studio I was interested in and it is probably more expensive than I can afford right now (damn London prices) but I am going to try it out week after next nonetheless. May be that I just go to one class/ week to start with.

• Like 1

Always kick higher

Roundup of week two:

1. Eat like a jedi: doing ok, not amazing but ok, on the fruit and vegetable side of things, and still quite terrible on the calorie side of things. Weighed myself this morning and am heavier than I've been in well over 10 years. But, there are 4 more weeks of this challenge so let's just take a deep breath and move on!

2. Escape the empire: Only very slightly behind on this; should have been on 50k walked/ run since start of the challenge and I am on 47k. Happy with this.

3. Use the force: I've been meditating every 3-4 days or so which isn't really good enough. I've been getting up when I should most days, but I've been staying up (and using phone/ computer) past my 'curfew' far more often than is good for me.

Going bravely into week 3.

• Like 1

Always kick higher

Roundup of week two:

1. Eat like a jedi: doing ok, not amazing but ok, on the fruit and vegetable side of things, and still quite terrible on the calorie side of things. Weighed myself this morning and am heavier than I've been in well over 10 years. But, there are 4 more weeks of this challenge so let's just take a deep breath and move on!

2. Escape the empire: Only very slightly behind on this; should have been on 50k walked/ run since start of the challenge and I am on 47k. Happy with this.

3. Use the force: I've been meditating every 3-4 days or so which isn't really good enough. I've been getting up when I should most days, but I've been staying up (and using phone/ computer) past my 'curfew' far more often than is good for me.

Going bravely into week 3.

I like your attitude toward the weight. Take a deep breath, make some sustainable changes for the next few weeks, and get some positive momentum. You got it within you! 

3K off isn't bad at all! You could go for some extra walks over the next few days and catch right up. Nice job! 

I hear you about being up too late, it is a curse I have had my whole life. And laptops and smartphones haven't made it any easier. 

Did you end up going to kickboxing?