Eureka trains to be a great Warrior with Yoda

Eureka

Hello Warriors!

I recently graduated from recruits and I am reporting for duty at Yoda’s Dagobah Training Camp:

tumblr_mn65b5jBuQ1rae0mxo1_500.gif

Some quick stats: I am 29 years old. Female. 5’11¾†(Can I round up?). Roughly 30-35% body fat. Star Wars, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter nerd (to name a few).

Currently obsessed with fairy tale characters trying to navigate life and magic in a small town in Storybrooke, Maine on Once Upon A Time.

And now for my challenge…...

63269160.jpg

Main Quest: ‘You want the [what I thought was] impossible’ …..to do one full and proper tricep pushup.

Not necessarily the most Warrior or Jedi like of goals but for me it has long been a symbol of one of my greatest physical weaknesses

and it is something I need to….and can...overcome.

I started off last challenge being able to lower myself to the ground with control and have worked my way up to

lifting my chest about an inch off the ground.

Can I give myself a pushup as a Christmas present? I am going to try…. sorry Yoda DO.

giphy.gif

I want to be able to lift the stone with my mind while upside down too….but right now I will settle for deadlifting it.

Quest #1: ‘I am looking for a great warrior’  

So wars do not make one great, but I am pretty sure strength training 3x a week does.

I am new to lifting and worked my way through the Barbell Battalion Level 1 of the Academy and have since progressed onto Level 2.

I hope to be solidly into Level 3 by the end of this challenge.

Here is where I am at so far (for my 5x5):

Squat: 90lbs

Bench: 65lbs

Deadlift:115lbs (at a deficit….no training plates)

OHP: Yeah….let’s not talk about that one yet…..working on the push press at 30lbs

giphy.gif

So this was not exactly on Dagobah…..but I couldn’t find the appropriate gif for this one….and besides running like a madman to scare off stormtroopers might be more of a life skill then swinging from trees and running around with Yoda on your back…..up for debate?

Quest #2: ‘Through [running].....things you will see….other places’

This quest literally ran away from me at one point during my first challenge but I think I have a better set up now. I do enjoy running and I have gotten back into it after some fairly debilitating shin splints last year. Slow and steady progress is the name of the game here.

So far I have worked up from run/walking 0.6km to 1.5km. My aim is to run/walk 2-3x a week and do my physio while increasing my distance at manageable levels (eventually working up to 5km). If I can’t do that third workout it is because I am doing something else that gets my heart rate up for at least 30 minutes.  I don't want this challenge to interfere with my lifting, so I will be flexible with it as time goes on.

tumblr_nm6dm19sF21s2wio8o1_500.gif

Quest #3: ‘Hey, that’s my dinner!’ …. ‘How you get so big eating food of this kind?’

Although I consider myself to be a fairly healthy eater (not Paleo...but Paleo inspired? I love food),

I don’t know much about nutrition when it comes to strength training and I do not track at all.

My quest for this challenge is to work my way through the Nutrition Levels at the Academy in terms of tracking for at least 5 days of the week starting at Level 1. Also I want to take the time to learn more about nutrition for lifting so that I get the most out of my workouts, but at the same time I don’t want to go overboard and eat so much that I increase my body fat and outrun my fork (and here I thought I was so slow I couldn’t outrun anything).

use-the-force-luke_gp_320659.jpg

Life Quest: ‘Clear your mind of questions.’ ….. ‘Control...control…you must learn control….’

My last quest had me try meditating in the morning for 10-15 minutes 5x a week which I did pretty well on.

I’d like to continue this quest to make it a habit and bonus points if I can incorporate some yoga too.

Also just because this fit so well….

Review_YodasHutEnvironment_stillE.JPG

Bonus Side Quest: ‘Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!’

Clean the dishes. Wipe down the sinks. Sweep…..no dust bunnies allowed this challenge!

Looking forward to meeting fellow Warriors.

My challenge was inspired by my fellow Recruit (and now Ranger) Marauder.

I am going to leave any points for the time being and report my progress via the very addicting progress bars.

• Like 4

Level 5 Warrior

Battle Log Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

Checking in and saying hi!  I just found your thread.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

OK, now that I've gif'd ya... ;)

I love the challenges this time Eureka, of course the ever elusive pushup we both seek, but also the others.  I'm interested to see what you think of the tracking.  I have such a love/hate relationship with it.  It definitely seems to help, but I swear it makes me a little obsessive about food which is probably not a great direction for me either.  <-- conflicted

Rangering since Sept 2015

So wars do not make one great, but I am pretty sure strength training 3x a week does.

Yes! Looks like a great challenge, and the theme is awesome. It seems like you've really gone with stuff you like and developed it from the last challenge to push yourself. You'll be pushing yourself and Yoda and the stone up in no time. ;)

Excited to follow along!

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Checking in and saying hi!  I just found your thread.

Yay! The group of warriors and Doctor Who nerds is getting more members!

Hello fellow warriors!  Love the gifs....I had the Cupid Shuffle playing while reading this thread and thought all the dancing gifs were hella appropriate. I will be away from a computer for the next few days for Halloween shenanigans but I'll be delving more into the Warrior threads and your challenges next week. Thanks for the welcome and check-in....and gifs!

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

I love the challenges this time Eureka, of course the ever elusive pushup we both seek, but also the others.  I'm interested to see what you think of the tracking.  I have such a love/hate relationship with it.  It definitely seems to help, but I swear it makes me a little obsessive about food which is probably not a great direction for me either.  <-- conflicted

I figured I would start really basic like Level 1 does and use it as an opportunity to learn more about what to eat and when. I find I am not staggering my eating well and lose momentum as the workout progresses and then I am ravenous when I leave but have nothing prepared or at least not ready to eat RIGHT THEN. Tracking I suppose is just a way to give myself a progress bar!  I really don't want to be obsessive about it, but if it makes me too crazy then I will reevaluate. 

Yes! Looks like a great challenge, and the theme is awesome. It seems like you've really gone with stuff you like and developed it from the last challenge to push yourself. You'll be pushing yourself and Yoda and the stone up in no time. ;)

Excited to follow along!

Thanks!  You guys are the best!  I'll check in with you all on Monday!

tumblr_inline_n68r9tTBbu1rz6ix3.gif

• Like 2

Level 5 Warrior

Thanks for the welcome and check in wildross, Alanna and Ellis!

Day 1....Success!

Q1: 

Deadlifts 135lbsx5x3 .....not off the ground so it doesn't quite count yet...will aim for that next B workout

Push Press .... new PR of 50lbsx5x5

Barbell Lunge 20lbsx16x1 .....just starting to work this one up from body weight

Working the inverted rows on a TRX band and knee tucks....those seem to stress my arms from hanging more than my abs. 

Feeling great!  Meditation this morning and so far I have been tracking on MFP. I don't hate my life yet, but I am appalled at the amount of sugar and carbs in an apple. But I love apples and they are literally everywhere right now. 

I don't have a scale so I am eyeballing everything and MFP currently says I am 700+ calories below my goal of 2200 on a workout day. I hit my fat target and was 30g below my protein goal and on par for fat and low on carbs. Does this mean I get to pig out before bed? Something seems a bit fishy here.....In any case, I was worried I under ate before my workout, but I felt fine after and ate a nice dinner. 

I can see how this is going to drive me crazy...

• Like 3

Level 5 Warrior

Thanks for the welcome and check in wildross, Alanna and Ellis!

Day 1....Success!

Q1: 

Deadlifts 135lbsx5x3 .....not off the ground so it doesn't quite count yet...will aim for that next B workout

Push Press .... new PR of 50lbsx5x5

Barbell Lunge 20lbsx16x1 .....just starting to work this one up from body weight

Working the inverted rows on a TRX band and knee tucks....those seem to stress my arms from hanging more than my abs. 

Feeling great!  Meditation this morning and so far I have been tracking on MFP. I don't hate my life yet, but I am appalled at the amount of sugar and carbs in an apple. But I love apples and they are literally everywhere right now. 

I don't have a scale so I am eyeballing everything and MFP currently says I am 700+ calories below my goal of 2200 on a workout day. I hit my fat target and was 30g below my protein goal and on par for fat and low on carbs. Does this mean I get to pig out before bed? Something seems a bit fishy here.....In any case, I was worried I under ate before my workout, but I felt fine after and ate a nice dinner. 

I can see how this is going to drive me crazy...

Nice start! Congrats on the push press PR :D

Food is tough. What's your goal right now? It seems like you want to get a better idea of what's going into your body--in that case, it may be beneficial to track for some time (a few days, a few weeks...) and figure out what your baseline is, without worrying about meeting certain goals (e.g., grams of protein, calories, etc.). It may also be a less stressful approach while you're learning about tracking, and you can then create nutrition goals accordingly.

Given your stats, ~1500 calories is rather low for a training day. There are a few things that could be going on... As you mentioned, your measurements could be a bit off. I don't use a scale either when I track, but I try to find some way to measure the more calorically dense foods--e.g., by dividing it into servings based on package size, or by using a measuring cup/tape measure. Also, do you think you ate less than you typically do on a training day? You may be unconsciously modifying your intake because you're tracking (observer effect!). Finally, when did you train? It sounds like it was late afternoon/evening, in which case you might be hungrier tomorrow.

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 

Hello! I read an article the other day that encourages protein before bed! Your body still processes foods and can use that protein to encourage muscle growth while sleeping. I like to have something at night due to old habits that die hard. So some chocolate protein powder almond milk does it for me.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-essential-nighttime-nutrients?mcid=SM_facetraining

I can get kinda anal about foods too but I've found something that helps with that too! I make foods in bulk and already know what's in them. That decreases the amount of time a day I need to 'count' calories. Just made a delicious beef and veg stew that'll give me 4 meals. I make a breakfast egg bake with veg and that lasts me like 5 days. So for those meals I'm good to go! Super less stressful lol.

• Like 1

~ Crankypants ~

lvl 3 Orc Warrior

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 5.5 | CON 6 | WIS .5 | CHA .5

Challenge 1, 2

"Determination is pushing me and perseverance is what I bleed."

-In this Moment

Goal to 200 lbs

52%
52%

Nice start! Congrats on the push press PR :D

Food is tough. What's your goal right now? It seems like you want to get a better idea of what's going into your body--in that case, it may be beneficial to track for some time (a few days, a few weeks...) and figure out what your baseline is, without worrying about meeting certain goals (e.g., grams of protein, calories, etc.). It may also be a less stressful approach while you're learning about tracking, and you can then create nutrition goals accordingly.

Given your stats, ~1500 calories is rather low for a training day. There are a few things that could be going on... As you mentioned, your measurements could be a bit off. I don't use a scale either when I track, but I try to find some way to measure the more calorically dense foods--e.g., by dividing it into servings based on package size, or by using a measuring cup/tape measure. Also, do you think you ate less than you typically do on a training day? You may be unconsciously modifying your intake because you're tracking (observer effect!). Finally, when did you train? It sounds like it was late afternoon/evening, in which case you might be hungrier tomorrow.

Thanks for all this Alanna! My goal right now is to get stronger but I should also lose body fat as I am a high (probably between 30-35%?). I thought I would just track for a couple of weeks ala NF Academy Level 1 but I can already tell I am modifying as I am tracking. Problem is I have no way of tracking on the go, so I might enter in everything at the end of the day...only to find that I have over/under eaten. 

I am training in the late afternoon when my husband finishes work before we have dinner. I did find that I was pretty hungry yesterday so I ate when I needed to and MFP says I was only over 70 cals and ~20g of fat and protein extra. I need to start reading up on what I actually should be hitting as those values are what MFP has calculated for me. 

Hello! I read an article the other day that encourages protein before bed! Your body still processes foods and can use that protein to encourage muscle growth while sleeping. I like to have something at night due to old habits that die hard. So some chocolate protein powder almond milk does it for me.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-essential-nighttime-nutrients?mcid=SM_facetraining

I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but it looks very helpful!  Thank you!

Nice challenge! And congrats on the press PR! 

Thanks!  The OHP were the bane of my existence, I am getting the hang of the push press much more quickly so I am sticking with those.

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

Day 2 Update:

Q1: Rest Day

Q2: Did not get out to run, but I did a 75 minute gentle yoga session in its place.

Q3: Still tracking.....no time to read anything yet about how I should be eating for training. My fellow recruits know of my free buffet policy.....which is to EAT EVERYTHING but I was at a training session that had a cheese, cracker, cookies and fruit platter. I had a lot of grapes and a handful of crackers...and about 6 cubes of cheese, which still blew my tracking according to MFP.....but normally I wouldn't stop there and I would finish the plate (Hey...no cleanup!)  so I consider that a success.

Q4: Done and done!

Looking forward to squats and benches this afternoon!

• Like 2

Level 5 Warrior

Thanks for all this Alanna! My goal right now is to get stronger but I should also lose body fat as I am a high (probably between 30-35%?). I thought I would just track for a couple of weeks ala NF Academy Level 1 but I can already tell I am modifying as I am tracking. Problem is I have no way of tracking on the go, so I might enter in everything at the end of the day...only to find that I have over/under eaten. 

I am training in the late afternoon when my husband finishes work before we have dinner. I did find that I was pretty hungry yesterday so I ate when I needed to and MFP says I was only over 70 cals and ~20g of fat and protein extra. I need to start reading up on what I actually should be hitting as those values are what MFP has calculated for me.

Yeah, tracking for me worked best when I planned out the day in advance (fairly easy because I make most of my meals myself and pack lunch/snacks). You'll figure out what strategies work for you--in the meantime, it sounds like you're already learning a lot from the experience :).

Woot for squats and bench!

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 

Day 2 Update:

Q1: Rest Day

Q2: Did not get out to run, but I did a 75 minute gentle yoga session in its place.

Q3: Still tracking.....no time to read anything yet about how I should be eating for training. My fellow recruits know of my free buffet policy.....which is to EAT EVERYTHING but I was at a training session that had a cheese, cracker, cookies and fruit platter. I had a lot of grapes and a handful of crackers...and about 6 cubes of cheese, which still blew my tracking according to MFP.....but normally I wouldn't stop there and I would finish the plate (Hey...no cleanup!)  so I consider that a success.

Q4: Done and done!

Looking forward to squats and benches this afternoon!

Do you think tracking helps with the buffet thing? I can imagine just the idea of having to track all the different little things might help in keeping a mindful approach to it.

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Well nerds.....yesterday did not go well.  According to MFP I had around 800 calories, 46g fat, and 44g protein, and 66g carbs between breakfast and lunch (and I ate a banana and almonds) before working out and I just crashed during my workout. I went to lift the heavier weight and I couldn't. I barely made it through what I did last workout. I am not sick, I am getting enough sleep and fluids, I just felt like I had zero strength in me. 

I am new to this tracking thing but I think it is because I didn't eat enough? I also had negligible protein at lunch.  

In any case, this tracking is spitting out lots of data....I just hope I can learn to make sense of it!

Yeah, tracking for me worked best when I planned out the day in advance (fairly easy because I make most of my meals myself and pack lunch/snacks). You'll figure out what strategies work for you--in the meantime, it sounds like you're already learning a lot from the experience :).

I think this is a very good point because I didn't put in my activity until after the fact and realized I had about 1000+ calories to go for the day. I thought getting protein wouldn't be a problem, but the things I eat aren't high in enough in protein. I feel like I just need to have a roast chicken in my fridge and just randomly gnaw at it during the day?

I feel like I need to read a book on this since the message boards seem to offer bits of advice here and there. Any suggestions? I was a bit disappointed in the Starting Strength nutrition section of the book as it only talked about men!  

Do you think tracking helps with the buffet thing? I can imagine just the idea of having to track all the different little things might help in keeping a mindful approach to it.

It definitely did that day, but the buffet was pretty simple....one box each of storebought cookies and banana bread (I can already say no to that....but homemade....please help me), cubed cheese, triscuits, pita crackers, grapes, bananas, and raspberries. I gave myself free rein on the grapes and raspberries (well after everyone else had their share....I am not a monster), and I definitely was aware of how many crackers and cheese I was taking. I didn't sit there and count them, but I limited myself to two small helpings like a sane person? Usually I eat the whole thing.

In a couple of weeks though I havea legit all you can eat Chinese buffet night coming up. Not sure how that one is going to go down. I might secretly eat something beforehand or fill up on the plain shrimp? Problem is I am with family and kind of have a reputation to uphold?  Eep. 

• Like 3

Level 5 Warrior

Day 3 update:

Q1: Workout hobbled to the finish line sort of (see above). My energy plummeted and I could barely make it through what I did last session. And this was the A workout to boot (last challenge we had a discussion on the B workouts being the butt kickers). I am giving myself points because at least I didn't skip the workout and I made it through (well I skipped the pushups and didn't do all the sets for planks and step ups). Also this is the first time in nearly 8 weeks that something like this has happened and I hope to devise a better eating plan as I work through tracking. 

Q2: Rest day....will go for a run today!

Q3: Tracking is ongoing and I do feel over my head with it. I have all these numbers and I am not sure yet how to adjust them. Yesterday I was below on everything but I blew through my fat by about 40g....I stared at my screen and felt a bit like this:

i7xth.jpg

Q4: Meditation done.....and I need to sweep.

Level 5 Warrior

Pretty much this.  Do I really want to tell MFP I had four donuts?  One or half or none at all looks so much better for an on day.  (Different story on the Day of Mindfully Bad Eating Decisions....)

----------------

Crashed during workout attributed it to not eating enough - It's not completely a bad day if you have a theory why you crashed.  Way back in my Recruit Challenge days, I tried a system of keeping something (like Beef Jerky) with the idea of opening in case of emergency.  I get an energy crash at about 3pm.

Another big positive is you attempted to work out when you had an energy crash.  That is so much better than being diverted.

Another question:  Did you feel better after the workout?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Pretty much this.  Do I really want to tell MFP I had four donuts?  One or half or none at all looks so much better for an on day.  (Different story on the Day of Mindfully Bad Eating Decisions....)

----------------

Crashed during workout attributed it to not eating enough - It's not completely a bad day if you have a theory why you crashed.  Way back in my Recruit Challenge days, I tried a system of keeping something (like Beef Jerky) with the idea of opening in case of emergency.  I get an energy crash at about 3pm.

Another big positive is you attempted to work out when you had an energy crash.  That is so much better than being diverted.

Another question:  Did you feel better after the workout?

hahah I was definitely too embarrassed to tell MFP I was going to eat the entire cheese plate. How long does that last? I mean eventually we have to get comfortable with each other and we'll be sitting on the couch together watching Netflix with a shirt stained from shoving moutfuls of buttery popcorn in my face and missing?

As for if I felt better I came home and ate the rest of my nearly 1000 calories....2 pork dumplings....one scrambled egg and avocado....and then finally my actual dinner of spaghetti squash with tomato and ground beef casserole. I like the emergency protein stash idea. I thought the almonds and banana before the workout might've carried me through but it just wasn't happening.

I started off today with an egg omelette but even that is saying I am only about 300 calories in so far, less than yesterday. More protein and fat though.

Level 5 Warrior