• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I didn't know you had gone in the for the amber glasses but I'm glad to hear that they are working. Having a partner that has a different sleep pattern than yours or just doesn't care about its value can be rough. So I'm happy you've found coping mechanism.

I didn't know you had gone in the for the amber glasses but I'm glad to hear that they are working. Having a partner that has a different sleep pattern than yours or just doesn't care about its value can be rough. So I'm happy you've found coping mechanism.

Thanks. I got them a few weeks ago figuring it wouldn't hurt to try. My n=1 data shows that the orange goggles let me get tired at night and fall asleep quickly even if I look at my phone in bed and the sleep mask lets me stay asleep. The problem is I'm too stupid to remember to use them regularly.

• Like 1

11/10/15 Tuesday

T-262 Days

I've done these marathon races under the team name SuperSloth(s) for years.  I'm thinking of switching to Awesome Sloth.  Any thoughts?

I love Team Awesome Sloth!

also, if you're in the mood for an OCR, they have these now... https://toughmudder.com/events/what-is-tough-mudder-half?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsZayBRCrioKRkYetvc0BEiQAI70-A8JJW4hzNgx-BQQyGPqQ3hkDkbbFeH71ZkPrcfzfbjwaAptN8P8HAQ

• Like 1

I somehow missed that you bought the amber glasses. I've been thinking about getting those too. Good to hear they are helping. I bought a mask so if my husband stays up to read after I turn off my light, I can just wear the mask, and that helps. But, I think the glasses might help me before bed. I'd like not to be dependent on taking Melatonin, and  have my body make it's own.

Doing great on the shovelglove. I haven't tried the method where you do it for longer with just short breaks, I will have to try that.

• Like 2

So you can look at your phone through these goggles? That sounds brilliant really.

Glad your class seems to be settling down enough so you can be a more mellow sloth teacher :)

• Like 1

Thanks, it was more of a relief that something terrible wasn't happening. School is slowly getting better - the other day I made a student cry and a few are trying to buy my love with their second and third tier Halloween candy.

I work with much older students, so I guess it's a different thing. But I used to think it would be a terrible thing if I made a student cry, and back when I was a student, I thought it would be the end of the world if that happened. Now I've realized it happens a lot and it's not such a big deal. Students (at least some of them) care about their work, and it's stressful when things aren't going well. The body expresses stress in a bunch of different ways. Crying is one of them. We have some control over it, but not always as much as we would like. I try to just let students know that their reaction is natural and that it's ok to get upset. 

...not that you were asking for an essay on crying students.

Maybe you need to up the bar on the bribes? That falls under the heading of "clearly communicating expectations." I've been told that the millennials like that.

• Like 1

Hey brotha- this ones for you from Tank and I:

https://vimeo.com/145586280

And then I found this and saved it for you :)

87feea39b61a4172cce7a9ed563ebc59.jpg

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

I'm honored to get my own personal video; thanks.

You guys are cray, cray. Are you grunting and socializing or have you taken Paleo too far? Maybe y'all should have a Pop-Tart.

• Like 5

Thanks.

I've been thinking about the other OCRs. I usually look at the race and family calendar over Christmas break. I think I'll ask EricMN which ones are fun to do.

• Like 1

I somehow missed that you bought the amber glasses. I've been thinking about getting those too. Good to hear they are helping. I bought a mask so if my husband stays up to read after I turn off my light, I can just wear the mask, and that helps. But, I think the glasses might help me before bed. I'd like not to be dependent on taking Melatonin, and have my body make it's own.

Doing great on the shovelglove. I haven't tried the method where you do it for longer with just short breaks, I will have to try that.

I have to admit, I've almost totally lost track of your (and everyone else's thread) it seems like there is too much awesome to keep up with anymore.

The glasses didn't help Mrs. Sloth, but I swear by them, just as long as I actually remember to wear them.

If I do SG non-stop my heart rate stays in the low 130s? But doing it intermittently my heart rate bounces up and down more. I saw a video about mountain biking that solidified my thinking about this. I'll post it when I get back to a computer. Also, I can go harder when I swing for a better strength aspect. Win, win. I might go to 30s./10s. intervals.

• Like 1

So you can look at your phone through these goggles? That sounds brilliant really.

Glad your class seems to be settling down enough so you can be a more mellow sloth teacher :)

A mellow sloth is what I strive for. I've realized that they haven't had a normal education experience and academically, emotionally, and socially they aren't that different from third graders. I've been trying to teach them as if they were third graders. They're responding well to it and it is a better mindset for me.

ETA: instead of thinking they're deficient, I'm thinking we haven't taught them X skill yet.

Yes, the glasses work, even when I look at screens. I got dark-orange UV safety glasses because they were cheap.

• Like 4

I work with much older students, so I guess it's a different thing. But I used to think it would be a terrible thing if I made a student cry, and back when I was a student, I thought it would be the end of the world if that happened. Now I've realized it happens a lot and it's not such a big deal. Students (at least some of them) care about their work, and it's stressful when things aren't going well. The body expresses stress in a bunch of different ways. Crying is one of them. We have some control over it, but not always as much as we would like. I try to just let students know that their reaction is natural and that it's ok to get upset.

...not that you were asking for an essay on crying students.

Maybe you need to up the bar on the bribes? That falls under the heading of "clearly communicating expectations." I've been told that the millennials like that.

Thanks for the essay, I appreciate your thoughts.

Kids do cry all the time. Boys cry way, way more than they used to. I think it's because their whole lives are video games and they haven't learned how to deal with real world frustration.

My students, in general, won't cry unless they feel invested in our relationship. With the teacher turn-over they've had it makes sense that it's taken so long for them to feel invested.

This group isn't good with hints, I've blatantly told them they should bribe me with doughnuts and cupcakes, but I've gotten bubkis.

• Like 1

Sloth, how have you been?

We need updates

AIRPORT_01_B-1024x683.jpeg

Thanks for checking with me. I've been fine, but haven't been on the computer. My updates feel tedious, so I haven't felt compelled to post them.

Since I posted last, every day:

GPP: Shovelgloved, did not KB or sandbag.

Aerobic Base: 50% rate of rucking ~1.2 miles @25-30#.

Mobility: did basic circuit, did not do extra for hips.

Hachi hara bu: I've been eating to 90-100%, I've had too many sweets. Weight is stable, but my belly is growing.

This Old House: nope, nada, zip, zilch.

• Like 3

Today, Saturday, T-something.

GPP: day off.

Aerobic base: I went mpuntain biking. There's an urban trail I usually don't ride, but it was the only one open because the rest were too wet.

The first loop is ~1 mile. It goes up, down, and around a little hill. The first 1/3 is a slow grind up, the rest is either a fast, swoopy downhill or a short, steep climb.

I did 8 laps of that loop in under 50 minutes (decent pace, puts me in the top third of Strava users). It was a lot of fun. I caught and passed everyone except the guy who was smoking as he rode. I feel good about the ride, I set a PR on the climb. GPP for the win.

Mobility: nope, except hip flexor stretch.

Hachi hara bu: 90-100% today. It's easier to be mindful when I've had a decent night's sleep.

This Old House: nope.

• Like 1

I don't remember if I've talked about this (BearLee?), but my sleeping has been terrible for the last few weeks.  I think it's been since I had a week off school for a training.  I've been waking up every night somewhere between 1:00 and 3:00 and staying awake for the rest of the night.  That means I'm a zombie in the morning and weak and weary in the evening.  

Think I need to be a little less stalkerish. You've mentioned it but back before you became a NF Superstar.

Thanks, it was more of a relief that something terrible wasn't happening. School is slowly getting better - the other day I made a student cry and a few are trying to buy my love with their second and third tier Halloween candy. They're finally getting invested in our relationship. At the quarter switch I also stopped being such a hardass (I've gotten as much as I can out of that) and have become a kinder, gentler Mr. Sloth.

That's a Bear baiting comment, sorry I didn't bite on it earlier. Perhaps you need to be a hardass longer until you get the first tier candy.

Http://Youtu.be/LqSqhOZjuUc

Video for Brother Tank. Unfortunately I forgot my laptop at school and it's unlikely the above URL goes anywhere.

Whoo, you must not have shaven since I've last seen you. You got the mountain man look down.

I have to admit, I've almost totally lost track of your (and everyone else's thread) it seems like there is too much awesome to keep up with anymore.

I'm with you there. Too much awesome, but it's great. Think Steve is developing an elite army that will one day dominate the world.

Http://Youtu.be/LqSqhOZjuUc

Video for Brother Tank. Unfortunately I forgot my laptop at school and it's unlikely the above URL goes anywhere.

Glad to know you're well. The link works just fine. I'm flattered you confirmed your well being in video form.

You guys are cray, cray. Are you grunting and socializing or have you taken Paleo too far? Maybe y'all should have a Pop-Tart.

It's a callback to a comment you made about being introverted a challenge or two back. I mentioned you could come to Texas and Wolf and I promised we could just all grunt at each other. The video was proof we are willing.

• Like 2

Oh man, that video was great, but I think you're right, Sloth.  That might be a tad too much Paleo naturalization...

Don't turn to pop tarts though.  They're the devil.  Trust me.

A mellow sloth is what I strive for.

A mellow Rurik is always my goal too.  Unfortunately my moods are many, and they can be fierce in their extremes on either end of the mood scale.