• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Atalan

For those that punch. Eye/hand coordination.

One of my friends linked me this because I use tennis balls to train up the eye-hand coordination of the foam fighters in my group. I think it's fantastic (and takes me back to being a soccer goalkeeper where my coach would whip tennis balls at me since they're harder to catch/track than soccer balls).

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2012/01/11/tennis-ball-reaction-training/

i have a drill for this. you need a partner.

1. i stand one horse stance away from a hanging punching bag. this is the edge of the "zone of engagement". inside this line i've gotta be throwing or moving or both. i can't stand in the "pit" (another name for the ZoE) and do nothing because we are both in range for shots.

2. have a guy stand next to the punching bag and place their hand on the bag about where your opponent's head would be.

3. from one horse stance away, i have to throw a punch and hit his hand.

4. as soon as i move to throw, he can move his hand off the bag.

so i have to throw from 1 horse stance away and hit his hand before my partner can react and move his hand off the bag. this simulates headhunting in the ring.

5. i hit the hand about 8 out of 10 times.

try it. it's much harder than it looks. if you don't know what you're doing you'll never hit the hand.

the key to doing this well, which serves you well in the ring is that:

1. you have to feint and lean. with your waist, shoulder roll, leg and feet movement.

2. you have to achieve this without inching closer with your feet, you have to get your hand closer to your target to close the distance to your target before you throw.

3. the trick is that you have to do it in a sneaky way that is disguised to your opponent, because he may wack you as you're trying to set it up if he realizes that you're trying to "steal a step".

a lot of fighting is disguising distance, and distracting your opponent from what you are trying to do. a good fighter will be wise to these tactics and will actively watch out for this. these techniques are what all crafty veteran fighters rely on.

a person who is crafty and can control and disguise distance may appear to an untrained eye to have fast hands. usually though it is greater coordination and skill. a veteran like bernard hopkins relies almost exclusively on this and is the master of these techniques. the younger competition is getting wise to this as he gets older though and he's about done...

Edited by ETFnerd

also watching the video for tennis ball guy, i think an important limiting factor is that you can only drill straight punches. for a fighter with good hands, you need you need to mix up jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts... in essence the big 4 hand techniques. there is a specific training tool for this and it is the double ended speed bag... seen illustrated by manny... now it may seem to you like what he's doing is easy, but toward the end of the video, he is daisy chaining jabs and hitting the bag at the exact moment that the bag is in the middle where he hits it square... it is extremely difficult to do and he makes it look easy... manny is DA MAN...

also look at his footwork circling the bag as he hits it... he's showing not only eye to hand coordination, but legs, waist, distance, speed, rhythm (throwing on the off beat) and in sum, whole body control and coordination... effortless...

Edited by ETFnerd

Both those videos are awesome, might have to try the hat one although I know I'll probably get hit in the face more than a few times. I try to drill the double ended speed bag when I'm in the boxing gym but I'm pretty poor at it