Afaenia has woken up!

afaenia

Hey there, hi there, ho there! I'm Afaenia - relocated to the semi-countryside in Japan in February 2014 and after lurking on Nerd Fitness for considerably longer than that, it's time to do what has to be done and face full life consequences.

I teach Englsh in an immersion style school so the majority of my day is singing, dancing, yelling and running which ends at 7pm or 8pm, depending on the day... I bike to and from 90% of the places I need to go, because hey, it's free!!. :D

Main Quest:  Lose 10kg! If I lose ~0.5kg per week, that should roughly amount to 10 weeks, so let's call it 12. 10kg - 12 weeks.

Quest 1: Complete the Beginner 5k workout on Runkeeper.

A = no skips! B = 25 workouts complete, C = 22 workouts complete

Quest 2: Make lunch myself on work days. No instant meals! I have plenty of time, and the facilities.

A = 30 days, B = 25 days, C = 20 days

Quest 3: Get at least 2 fruits or vegetables in every meal - Japan is crazy about seasonal produce!

A = 42 days, B = 36 days, C = 30 days

Life Quest: 

Study Japanese for 45 minutes every day. I live there, but speak my native tongue 6 out of 7 days a week. It's frustrating in daily life, my social life is suffering, and I have a test coming up!
A = 42 days; B = 36 days, C = 30 days

Motivation:  I'm absolutely sick of all the children at work grabbing my stomach or legs, or prodding and squishing me! I want to improve my fitness levels, and treat my body the way it deserves to be treated. It's worked hard the last 26 years, and now it's time for me to repay the favour.

Ooh, this is scary! Let's go!

• Like 4

Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

STR:0    DEX:0    STA:0    CON:0    WIS:0   CHA:0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Yay for a fellow transplant to Japan!  You mentioned the seasonal produce- while I still kinda eat like crap, I think this is one of the reasons I eat so much healthier here.  That, and when I got here two years ago, I couldn't read a damn thing so I just stuck to whole foods that I could recognize, lol.

I feel you on the Japanese though- being in a big city where a lot of English is spoken (tourists abound) had made progress difficult.  But, it was stressing me out so much that I decided to put it on hold for a while and focus completely and totally on my fitness goals.  That said, I have been thinking about learning a daily vocab word relating to health and fitness.  Gotta make a list somewhere.

I use Runkeeper as well, so if you want a buddy on there let me know!

It's the convenience stores and supermarkets that get me for the crap. D:

So easy to grab lunch, but everything that's not rice is fried! But the seasonal stuff is the best. <3 I'd never enjoyed eating persimmons before coming to Japan.

It's so difficult to learn when your brain is not focused on the thing you need it to be! It's just been work, eat, sleep, repeat since I got here really. ^^; Most of my coworkers are married/have kids, and its a lot of late finish/early start so there's not even time or motivation to get out other than grocery or clothes shopping haha.

Relevance is always good for committing something to memory. Gotta use it every day!

Really?! Thank you! If I check which email I used for RunKeeper and pass it along, would that be alright? ^^

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

I feel you on the conbinis...I LOVE onigiri.  Lately I have been challenging myself to finding and making the healthiest meals and snacks possible from the conbini for those times when I don't have time to cook (lunch!).  7-11 has frozen broccoli, frozen mango (lovely in summer as a sub for ice cream), and chicken breasts!  They also have a nice selection of nuts.

You know, I have been here two years and only just in the past few months have gotten to a point where I feel adjusted enough to be able to REALLY focus on my goals.  As ex-pats I think we are in a very unique situation, and trying to self-actualize our goals before we have met the basic needs of adaptation and adjustment can sometimes cause more stress. 

Absolutely, feel free to send your e-mail my way and I will add ya! :D

Oh I LOOOOOVE that you and Zahirah have found one another!  NF rules!!!

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I love to bike as much as I am able too!  Such a great sounding challenge.  Your motivation makes so much sense and is just brilliant.

Definitely come by the Scouts Tavern and introduce yourself.  We are a small group and a very friendly lot.  

I have heard so much about teaching English in another country.  How did you get started in it?  Not something that is an option now in my life but I find it so fascinating.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I feel you on the conbinis...I LOVE onigiri.  Lately I have been challenging myself to finding and making the healthiest meals and snacks possible from the conbini for those times when I don't have time to cook (lunch!).  7-11 has frozen broccoli, frozen mango (lovely in summer as a sub for ice cream), and chicken breasts!  They also have a nice selection of nuts. You know, I have been here two years and only just in the past few months have gotten to a point where I feel adjusted enough to be able to REALLY focus on my goals.  As ex-pats I think we are in a very unique situation, and trying to self-actualize our goals before we have met the basic needs of adaptation and adjustment can sometimes cause more stress.  Absolutely, feel free to send your e-mail my way and I will add ya! :D

Oh man onigiri.

I love the beef jerky for a quick snack! Feels a little weird visiting the beer snacks section in the morning though haha.

Yeah, it's not a small thing to get used to! It sometimes feels like you work so much, there's not really any time to acclimatise as you're so busy trying to wind down and then get ready again for the next day. It's a busy country, Japan.

Sweet! I'll pass it via PM or such similar service!

Oh I LOOOOOVE that you and Zahirah have found one another! NF rules!!!

Surprised to find another expat in Japan.

Amazed that we're in neighbouring prefectures! XD

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

I love to bike as much as I am able too!  Such a great sounding challenge.  Your motivation makes so much sense and is just brilliant.

Definitely come by the Scouts Tavern and introduce yourself.  We are a small group and a very friendly lot.  

I have heard so much about teaching English in another country.  How did you get started in it?  Not something that is an option now in my life but I find it so fascinating.

I used to hate it! Forced bike rides for a good 15+ miles on weekends as a kid. :) But, it's a necessity here really! Everyone has a bike.

I'll swing by and say hello. ^.^

Honestly, this was purely luck. A friend of a friend was leaving the position I have now, and I sent my details. A year and a half later, I'm still here! But as far as I understand, the teaching method at this school is quite different from the usual style! It's a lot of learning and adjusting. :)

• Like 1

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Day one - ate lots of veggies, and made lunch at home! There was no work out scheduled in my diary so I'm marking that a great success! I didn't study though. >____<;;;

Day two has started with a run - but for some reason, RunKeeper fluffed up the audio notifications for the intervals? So maybe I messed it up a little. Headed to a barbecue in the mountains shortly, with meat and veggies! :) will be studying Japanese too, as it's mostly my Japanese coworkers who will be there.

Must buy some gear as the weather starts to cool down, too. Today was fine (15 degrees C and sunny with a little cloud) but winter is coming. Mmmmm winter. <3

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

• Like 2

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

I'm still wearing what I was wearing in summer, but I'm some kind of monster and 10-15 Celsius is perfect weather for me. XD

The coldest it gets here... there was no snow last year. Maybe a little flurry but no ground stuff - but I think the average low is around 2 degrees?

Me either. I ended up with a bad case of bronchitis last year. This year I will be better prepared!!

Doing well with daily goals so far! Many vegetables included in all 3 meals today, and I made lunch. Forgot to put on my Fitbit after showering however, so none of that got counted. Tomorrow is a run day! We'll see how it goes. :)

• Like 2

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

You are doing great.  Yes I am curious about the veggies too.  

Depending on the distance of the run I like to wear jeans in general when it cools down.  Once it is downright cold I will wear my only pair of running/biking moisture wicking pants and then jeans on top.  Surprisingly comfortable and yet warm enough.  They are loose jeans and usually 5ish miles is about what I can do without worrying about chaffing.  Might be worth a try.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

What have you been doing for vegetables recently? Anything specifically Japanese?

I have a sweet potato/yam hanging out on my counter that I'm not sure how to cook! Otherwise, recently, it's been a lot of nabe and come congee because I'm sick, so veggies of choice have been leeks, carrots, hakusai, daikon, nira and lotus root. :D Oh, and I've been really loving takuan - the yellow daikon pickles, and yuzu pickled turnips! <3

But, nabe is the easiest way to use anything, so it's not so important.

You are doing great.  Yes I am curious about the veggies too.  

Depending on the distance of the run I like to wear jeans in general when it cools down.  Once it is downright cold I will wear my only pair of running/biking moisture wicking pants and then jeans on top.  Surprisingly comfortable and yet warm enough.  They are loose jeans and usually 5ish miles is about what I can do without worrying about chaffing.  Might be worth a try.

Thanks, Sue! ^^ Really, the worry is wet, not cold. But, we shall see what a search for wet and cold weather gear brings up!

• Like 1

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Managed to hit 17k steps yesterday somehow! @___@

Busy day, with an unexpected early start at work, but still managed to get a healthy lunch in beforehand. Completed the scheduled run - it was raining first, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to! :( Don't want to get more sick haha.

3/4 of a day off today! So, relaxing but not too relaxed. :D Will challenge myself to get 10k+ steps today, too!

fc,550x550,black.u1.jpg​

• Like 1

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Saturday was a bit of a fail - I didn't get my 45 minute brisk walk/jog in on my training plan, but I did more than make up for it today. The day is not yet out and we're on 17k with one adventure left! I think we'll manage over 20k today! I also ate bread for dinner ;-----;

Even though I didn't make my so far only meal today, it was mainly veg! So I'm not feeling too bad about eating out twice in one day. ^^;;;

Tomorrow is another run day! But I have an early start to work and a potentially late end to tonight, so I'll need to plan this carefully hah. It's coming up on bonenkai season, too!!

• Like 1

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

So you are still going strong!  Ever figure out what to do with the sweet potato/yam?  We like to cut them into oven fries.  Toss with a bit of oil, lemon juice, paprika, chili powder, and a hit of salt.  Bake in oven turning once.

It's still sitting on my counter. I don't have an oven that isn't a toaster over. ;-; Japan isn't really an ovens kinda place. :(

My asthma wasn't happy (and still isn't tbh) about the attempted 8 mins of fast running/slow walking intervals today. :D managed 4 before I had to slow down for a few, then sped up for the last.

Hit my veggie target at lunch today, but, didn't hit it at dinner!

Yesterday and Monday were fine in terms of veggies and running though. ^^ So, even though it feels like I'm getting sick (again!) we'll keep going and beat back the lurgy through exercise and good food.

Lost the reflective strips around my ankle on tonight's run hahaha. I'll have to invest in a sturdier pair!

15k steps for Wednesday, 11.3k for Tues and 11.2k for Mon. We're doing awriteeee. :)

• Like 1

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Have you tried sweet potato hash?  

Great job on your goals.  That is fantastic!

So, even though it feels like I'm getting sick (again!) we'll keep going and beat back the lurgy through exercise and good food.

I am right there with you!

You know something super easy I have been doing recently with my sweet potatoes- chop them up, throw them in a bowl with some cinnamon and a little water, cover, then throw in the microwave for a few minutes.  Steams them up quite nicely. I also bought a steamer basket (from Daiso) to use in a pot on the stovetop and sometimes will use that to steam my veggies.

As for appliances in Japan, UGH.  I invested in a convection oven (used of course) as well as a second freezer (because my fridge and freezer are tiiiiiny) and they have really greatly improved how I eat.  I also finally taught myself how to use the fish broiler to actually grill fish, and I wish I had done so sooner.  I get some delicious grilled salmon in like 8 min, it's awesome.

I've been keeping up with your runs on Runkeeper and cheering along.  I HOPE you aren't getting sick, take care!

• Like 1

Oops!

It's been pretty busy over here! Weather hasn't been amazing lately and combined with my working hours, it's been hard to fit in runs, but I'm still trying! As I was about to go for yesterday's scheduled 45 mins, I realised it was pouring rain. :(

Veggies I was doing semi okay! But lunches, I am a bad bad lady. Unexpected changes to my schedule and lots of stress over the Christmas production has resulted in a fair few bad choices. But I'm set on making those right from now!

(There's also a whooooole bunch of Star Wars related snacks around and oh gosh hahahah)

Not giving up just yet! But I'm not going to beat myself up over a few bad days when I'm doing the best I've ever managed at a 5k program! ^___^

Thanks for the encouragement, Zahirah! <3 I've been cheering yours on, too! Your distances are an inspiration! :D

And thank you Sue! <3

• Like 1

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Things happen and you keep going.  That is awesome in my book.  Just remove the "yet" from your one statement and all is good.  Glad you are doing so well with 5k training.  You are racking up the wins.

I got my flu shot a week ago, which seems to have resurrected my bronchitis.

=______=

so, running is off the table until I can breathe better sitting down. ><

The weathers been terrible, work is quite stressful, but I guess for now, I'll focus on eating right! Off to the doctors in the morning to see if I can get some medicine.

Grump!

• Like 2

The Force shall free me.

Half Elf, Adventurer

Level 0

Lose 10kg! 70kg > 60kg

11%
11%

Hey way to keep at it.  Running may be off the table (and I hope you feel better soon!) but I am happy to see you are focusing on what you can do which is eating right.