Paleo and feeling icky - doing something wrong?

bondgirl311

Okay so this maaaaaay get into the "TMI gray area" of things. You've been warned...

Today I'm feeling especially icky in the midsection. The symptom I've felt most often is bloating/discomfort. I've been eating a lot of carrots, and think it may be associated with that. I've also recently decided to cut out soy sauce because I found out it was even more un-Paleo than previously thought. Not sure, but it might also be sodium intake? (Also still having issues with... ahem... not being able to "go" regularly.)

Here's what I've had to eat so far today:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs topped with salsa, 1 chicken and apple sausage

Snacks: A handful of cucumber slices dipped in balsamic vinegar, baggy of baby cut carrots (maybe about.... 15 total? Also had approximately that many last night for a snack)

Lunch: Small salad (iceberg lettuce mostly just for texture) topped with tuna, celery, cucumber/tomato/red onion salad thingie (looks like it's tossed in oil and pepper), three slices of beets, 1 hardboiled egg, all topped with a drizzle of EVOO and balsamic vinegar; Gala apple

Snack: Handful of sunflower seeds

Any ideas?

Perhaps it's the eggs? Some people don't respond well to eggs. Carb flu? Something similar?

Or it could be much more deeply routed and you could have an intestinal issue like Crohn's, Colitis, or Inflammatory Bowel Disease. That's how my symptoms started, but you're also changing your diet so it might just be that. Perhaps try drinking some coffee? It normally runs right through you and might help you "go" so to speak.

I respond terribly to eggs and red onion, the two things I like to put most on a salad. Eggs give me heartburn, and wicked gas. Onion gives me bloat and awesome horrendous gas.

I save these 2 treats for weekends only, when the husband as hockey. Although my 5 year old yells at me frequently.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I normally don't have issues with egg, but I have been eating it a LOT more since going Paleo, so I should probably cut it back a bit and try focusing more on other things for breakfast.

Coffee is a great idea - that definitely helps me usually. I know I also want to try to stick to as natural a solution as possible. I've heard magnesium helps, so maybe I'll try to eat some fish for dinner tonight.

Thanks!!

Ever since I switched I have a bit more gas, that might be it. It always makes me giggle when I fart at the bottom squats on my first few heavy reps.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Ever since I switched I have a bit more gas, that might be it. It always makes me giggle when I fart at the bottom squats on my first few heavy reps.

Bahaha!

I've actually noticed a decrease in my gaseous emissions since switching (girls don't fart).

(girls don't fart).

I believed this until I moved in with one.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

If you are eating more fiber than normally, this will definitely cause "gastrointestinal distress". It passes, no pun intended, after about a week.

Mine has lessened I think since the initial switch.

500 / 330 / 625

Bahaha!

I've actually noticed a decrease in my gaseous emissions since switching (girls don't fart).

I'm married. So untrue.

Also, the whole uneasyness in the gut is just the change of diet. If you're not going regularly, try to include more fiber in the way of veggies and/or fat (my first experience with coconut milk had me in the bathroom in 30 minutes flat, true story). You should be at about once a day after the 30 days. I k ow you're a girl, so things are a bit different, but try to adjust. At the end of the 30 days, you'll feel like you can move mountains.

If you are eating more fiber than normally, this will definitely cause "gastrointestinal distress". It passes, no pun intended, after about a week.

Also, this.

Eggs/onion issues are likely a sulfite allergy. The sulfur compound in foods breaks down into a sulfite compound before breaking down into sulfur. This journal article talks about it, if you can wade through all the chemistry in it.

Is that bad? that's a big boring read there....lol.

Is that why I have some intolerances to certiain wines? (high in sulphates)...and sometimes I get a red rash on my chest and neck when I have alcohol? or is that unrelated and I'm probably dying. :o

Never let your fear decide your fate.

After reading through your eating the culprit to ME seems to be beets. They are VERY high in sugar and feed the bacteria in the small intestine and that cause cause serious gut issues in people who are sensitive. Some folks can handle them and some can't. If you never had trouble with eggs before then I wouldn't think its that. As I got older I couldn't handle raw unions either so that might be it. Other than that maybe take an acidopholus supplement and see if that helps. Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Ever since I stuck to this my stools are less solid and I go more frequently. I think that its just because I eat too much fruit. Upping my veggies soon, I'll see if I get a change. Anyone else experience this?

I had this problem, but I figured it was because I drank tap water abroad. What are you eating?

After a week of eating nothing but meat, veggies, eggs, fruit, and coconut things + super enzymes + a daily probiotic things started to get better (once a day, more solid). I don't know what exactly it was that helped, or if it was everything. Or if it was something else.

Is that bad? that's a big boring read there....lol.

Is that why I have some intolerances to certiain wines? (high in sulphates)...and sometimes I get a red rash on my chest and neck when I have alcohol? or is that unrelated and I'm probably dying. :o

Is it a rash, or just flushing of your skin? I know some people flush more when they drink (my friend's face flushes SO bad whenever he drinks). Do you have any other ill effects when you drink wine high in sulphates/alcohol in general? Be careful if you do have an allergy because there are lots of medications that contain sulphur.

After reading through your eating the culprit to ME seems to be beets. They are VERY high in sugar and feed the bacteria in the small intestine and that cause cause serious gut issues in people who are sensitive. Some folks can handle them and some can't. If you never had trouble with eggs before then I wouldn't think its that. As I got older I couldn't handle raw unions either so that might be it. Other than that maybe take an acidopholus supplement and see if that helps. Best of luck!

I actually just recently started eating beets, but knew they had sugar (and was sad!). I think I'm going to have to limit them for that reason. I had them again today with my salad for lunch and haven't had any bloating/discomfort issues. I may still try the acidopholus supplement like you suggested, and adding back in a magnesium supplement as well. Couldn't hurt. Thanks!

I had this problem, but I figured it was because I drank tap water abroad. What are you eating?

After a week of eating nothing but meat, veggies, eggs, fruit, and coconut things + super enzymes + a daily probiotic things started to get better (once a day, more solid). I don't know what exactly it was that helped, or if it was everything. Or if it was something else.

@RyanSannar - is this something you've been experiencing just since switching to Paleo?

@DustMite - It could be that your body was adjusting to the amount of fiber in your diet.

It's a really boring article, but most of the ones I have aren't about the sulfur in foods. Peanuts can be treated with sulfites, and wines have varying amounts, so you can react to one and not to the next, or you might not notice the next reaction because it happens much later. Sulfite reactions often happen the next day, when they get to that point of breaking down. The biggest symptoms are headaches which feel like a tight band (and aren't helped by meds), and gastro issues.

Sulfites are snuck into everything, even organic foods, because they are considered "natural". Try a molybdenum supplement, maybe 250 mcg a day, and see if it helps, because sulfite allergy usually results from a molybdenum deficiency. I have to take the supplement and avoid high-sulfur foods and sulfite-added foods, because I'm sensitive to the small traces, but most people aren't as sensitive as I am.

I eat more fruit and almond butter than I probably should. I discovered almond butter last week and its been my guiding light so to speak. Yeah this is something that has happened most recently ever since I switch.

For example I go right after I wake up and its not runny per se, but its easily broken up. I really just think that I'm not eating enough vegetables, but that's just mean. Probably should up the saturated fat intake too.

I'll do that and get back to you guys.

As for the sulfate natural thing; my girlfriends family works in the food flavor industry, you wouldn't believe how much crap is considered "natural" and can go into organic foods.