NaNoWriMo 2015 (hosted by the Writer's Guild)

Jett

I know a number of Rebels are doing NaNoWriMo this year (myself included)! How's that going to go while trying to maintain a fitness and life balance? I guess we'll find out! :welcoming:

Here is a good place for finding each other on nanowrimo.org, commiserating, encouraging, sharing tips for writing and life balance, and asking and answering questions about the writing process. Even if you're not doing NaNo, if you want to ask participants about how it works, this is a good place to do that! Watch out, though, you might get roped in. (Join usssss. You know you want to!)

This thread is intended to also count as the Writer's Guild thread for this challenge, although I will make a separate one if you guys want. I know there are a few writers who aren't doing NaNo this year. Please feel free to post even if you aren't doing NaNo, but if you feel like you're getting buried in the NaNo posts, I'll make another thread.

Writer's Guild Members

JMitch

Sovellis

Noor

Scrawlcreatelive

Petefeet

Jen of Arc

ShadowLion

Kilyra

People Doing NaNoWriMo (link to profile)

JMitch (jenngersnap)

elinox (elinox)

Kilyra (kilyra)

Jakkals (jacques)

Terinatum (Terinatum)

Leimanu (leimanu)

Spookyfoot (spookyfoot)

our.lady.of.ashes (our-lady-of-ashes)

Scrawlcreatelive (mattdh)

WritingWeaver (writingweaver)

bgvanbur (bgvanbur)

zeroh13 (zeroh13)

brutalbears (brutal-bears)

Noor (DebonairPorter)

Riverleaf (Riverleaf2223)

LittleLionLamb (littlelionlamb)

Word Wars: For people on this thread, word wars often happen in the IRC chat room. Just click "Chat Room" on the menu at the top of the page, then type "/join #NFNaNoWriMo" to go to the sub-channel. So far, word wars seem to happen most often between 9 pm and midnight EST.

• Like 2

Whoo!!! So stoked! 

I do agree that I'm not sure how to keep a balance between working out my body and brain because I'm usually the type that goes off the deep end for things. Last Nano I did, everything else suffered (healthy eating? socializing? sobriety? Shenanigans!) and I didn't worry because it was just for the 30 days. To try and do this with a better balance will make for an interesting month indeed!

• Like 2

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

I'm doing NaNo for my challenge! Count me in!

Welcome, brave writer! If you're okay with it (and if you have one), please post your nanowrimo.org username so we can find each other.

Whoo!!! So stoked! 

I do agree that I'm not sure how to keep a balance between working out my body and brain because I'm usually the type that goes off the deep end for things. Last Nano I did, everything else suffered (healthy eating? socializing? sobriety? Shenanigans!) and I didn't worry because it was just for the 30 days. To try and do this with a better balance will make for an interesting month indeed!

I have the same problem! I tend to get absorbed into a project and just not do anything else, including sleep and eat. But since we're Rebels, we should definitely try to keep our health balanced with our hobbies and passions. I'm sure it can be done... I'm just not sure how. :P

Welcome, brave writer! If you're okay with it (and if you have one), please post your nanowrimo.org username so we can find each other.

Same as my username here: elinox. ;)

And my problem is going to be focusing and word count. 

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Same as my username here: elinox. ;)

And my problem is going to be focusing and word count. 

Thanks! I added you as a writing buddy. :)

In the past, I've found that competative "sprints" are pretty helpful. Set a timer; see who can get the highest wordcount in that amount of time (15-20 minutes works well). Having someone else that you can be compatative against, or at least be held accountable to, helps you to stay focused for a short period of time. Do a couple of those, and you can get the day's word count faster than you might think!

In my opinion, the most valuable thing about NaNoWriMo is creating the habit to write. It's easiest to finish if you set aside some time each and every day to write. Do that for a month, and you have a writing habit! Keep it up beyond November, and it's amazing what you can accomplish. (My husband kickstarted his writing career in last year's NaNoWriMo, kept his writing habit going, and now he's about to publish his second story!)

• Like 2

I'm Kilyra on the Nano site, but I can't seem to find authors without getting an error message. Is anyone else having this problem with search?

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

Wooo I'm joining! This is my third NaNo and I'm super excited :D

I agree with Jenn, sprints really help! That's how I write most of the time and it really helps take the pressure off.

• Like 1

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

I'm excited for this as well. It's like my 11th time participating, but I change my methods every year as I learn more and more about being a writer. 

Here's my NaNoWriMo: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/our-lady-of-ashes/

Here's my Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Alledria-Hurt/e/B014Z3LVAK/

The book I'm writing for NaNo is the sequel to Chains of Fate, which you can order through Amazon as either a print copy or a Kindle copy. 

• Like 3

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Stats: STR 8 DEX 7 CON 7.9 STA 10 WIS 8 CHA 7.9

Daily Battle Log

1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th  | 7th Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

4 hours and 14 minutes before I let loose on my keyboard!

Has anyone started in their time zone yet?

Nope and I won't manage to get started until tomorrow after church, though I am very much looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

http://scrawlcreatelive.tumblr.com

@scrawlingwriter- Twitter Scrawlingwriter- Instagram Scrawlingwriter. Com

Current Challenge:http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71377-The-ABCs-of-Hogwarts-School-of-Witchcraft-and-Wizardry

Lvl. 4 Assassin

STR =3.50 DEX =4.75 STA=5.00

CON =2.55 WIS =5.00 CHA=1.50

So I started writing a short story back in September which was my until NaNo project. I posted the last part of it tonight. Here's the link to the overall tag. http://alledriaehurt.blogspot.com/search/label/October%20Sky

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Daily Battle Log

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

Welcome, everyone! I'll update the first post momentarily!

I haven't started just yet. I have some All Saint's Day/Day of the Dead stuff to do first, and I actually want to start by doing an hour or two of intensive research. I find that it helps me to start with some momentum if I have my head bursting full of new ideas when I start to write.

If you want, post your first day's word count at the end of today. :)