• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi Rangers!

New girl here. Just finished my first challenge over in the Recruit forum and thought I'd come over and play with you guys for this one. Hope that's alright. :)

I finally got around to writing up an introduction last night, and for some reason it came out as a Q&A session. It felt natural and like a good format, so I'm going to stick to it for this post. Think of the person asking questions as my somewhat confused and mumbling super-ego, trying to make sense of what it is I am doing with our shared self. Now that I think of it, maybe he's the Groucho peeking out behind my Dylan Dog in the profile pic. Not sure when all the monsters inside will come out or what will happen then. We'll see!

(you realize this sounds a bit crazy, right?)

Uh, yeah. I'm actually pretty sane, though. Quiet type. The kind that likes to sit on the couch and read all evening. Since I also sit down in front of a computer all day, I really need to get regular exercise and eat well to stay healthy.

(so the main focus is on staying healthy?)

Well, getting healthier – preferably. And stronger. And a bit slimmer. I like being in my body better when it's in good shape and a few kilos lighter than it is now. There is really no end-goal here though, just an interesting process that I would like to continue.

(and what does this process entail at this particular point?)

For the past six weeks, I've followed a mostly paleo diet and gone to the gym to do bodyweight exercises three times a week. I feel like those things are slowly turning into habits, along with drinking a lot of water and doing a lot of walking. I don't like tracking food and I don't like failing myself for eating this or that, so I'm going to skip the nutrition quest this time. The walking happens naturally, so I'm not going to turn that into a quest either. I'll just try to keep that up on the side, and might mention it from time to time.

(uh-uh. That's the non-quests, then. What are you going to track?)

Glad you asked. This is what I'm going to do:

Quest 1: Strength

I'm going to continue going to the gym for bodyweight training three times a week. The goal is to eventually be able to do pull-ups. This will take a while. For now, I'll focus on keeping the exercises difficult enough that I can almost do what my plan says, and then add weights or some other element to push myself.

I'll log every work-out in a progress bar: 18 work-outs total for the six weeks.

Quest 2: Cardio/stamina

The second quest will be to go for a run twice a week. Once we hit December 1st, I plan to join the Advent Running crowd and run every day until Christmas. I'll exclude gym days, though. I did this last year and loved the community and the build-up of it, so I'm really looking forward to it. Caveat: if running that much interfers with other quests, I'll tone it down or just go for a walk some days.

To start with, I'll log two runs (doesn't matter how long, just going out for 20-30 minutes count) a week in another progress bar: 12 runs total for the six weeks.

(you seem to like progress bars)

Oh, I do! I like coming up with colour schemes for them even more than I do filling them in!

(whatever works. Any other quests? Something not exercise-related, perhaps?)

Quest 3: Sleep (or not, as it were)

This will be a difficult one, but I have high hopes for it. I'm going to get up at 7 every morning of the challenge. Even on weekends. I usually get up at 7.30 on weekdays, so the extra half-hour there will give me time to pack my gym bag and fix lunch, or just do some extra reading. The main point is for the weekends, though. I don't want to sleep all my free time away, and actually really enjoy mornings – once I'm out of bed. If I manage this, I'll have more time to do the stuff I like and launch around for hours in my pj's.

There will be no progress bar for this one, just a tally of early mornings accomplished.

Quest 4: No spending

My fourth and final quest is an attempt at turning a sad neccesity into a personal win. I've been really crappy at living within my means lately, and after paying my bills for November, realized I have absolutely no money left. In order to not take too much out of savings, and to get my behaviour in this area under some semblance of control, I'll try not to spend any money on non-essential stuff for the duration of the challenge. Essential stuff is food from the grocery store, basically. 

I'll keep another tally for this one and add every day I haven't spent any money to it.

(so, four quests, two progress bars, two tallies. Got it. Anything else?)

No, I think that's enough to be going on with.

(Agreed. We seem to have a chronic problem with writing overly long posts.)

Yes … I'm going to try to check in here as often as possible and look forward to reading about all the rangering going on. I've also joined the Gryffindarlings' accountabilibuddy group for added coolness. Their focus this time around is on strength, so I'm excited about that. :tyrannosaurus:

Well, start as you mean to go on. It's Friday night, so for my part, I'm going to have a small glass of whisky from the cupboard and fix my progress bars. Happy start to the challenge, everyone!

• Like 5

Yay!!  A recruit buddy and a ranger to boot....  

tumblr_mwjfie2EkR1rfx3ffo1_500.gif

Can't wait to see you knock this challenge out of the park Ellis!  I seriously love your self interviews!!  Love and echo your sentiments about weight loss and focusing on strong and awesome!  

• Like 2

Welcome to the Rangers Ellis.

Thanks! I'm excited to be here. Love your name, by the way. :)

Yay!!  A recruit buddy and a ranger to boot....  

tumblr_mwjfie2EkR1rfx3ffo1_500.gif

Can't wait to see you knock this challenge out of the park Ellis!  I seriously love your self interviews!!  Love and echo your sentiments about weight loss and focusing on strong and awesome!  

Ooooh! This is awesome. I love Aragorn's eyes in this gif -- it's like he's ready to take on the fight but also a bit apprehensive about the whole thing (sort of like I feel!) Thanks, Marauder!  :wub: 

• Like 1

(you seem to like progress bars)

Oh, I do! I like coming up with colour schemes for them even more than I do filling them in!

(whatever works. 

Hahahaha! 

Great challenge Ellis. I'll once again look forward to seeing those bars filling up :D

(I need to sort out the colours on mine - if I can remember how...)

• Like 1

Love your interview format, and your goals are similar - going to follow along

I love how you wrote up your challenge.  This certainly will be entertaining to follow!  

Hahahaha! 

Great challenge Ellis. I'll once again look forward to seeing those bars filling up :D

(I need to sort out the colours on mine - if I can remember how...)

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. :)

Just realized, we moved our office to a new part of town over the weekend -- well, I didn't *just* realize that, but I hadn't thought of the fact that it means I'm going to have to go to a new gym tomorrow. Scary stuff. :nonchalance:

• Like 1

Glad to see the new challenge!  I hope that extra half hour in the mornings can go to some extra reading personally. 

giphy.gif

We will be with you in spirit as you navigate your new gym. Also I am loving the opportunity to get to 'meet' your super ego inner voice. Go challenge!  Also....tallies!  An alternative to the progress bar....very interesting!

• Like 1

It's funny that on TapaTalk, I cannot see anyone's Progress Bars. They're just not there. So, every time they get mentioned, I get to imagine the perfect Platonic Uber Progress Bars that all earthly internetty progress bars are a pale imitation of. In my mind, your progress bar is always exploding out of itself because it has trouble containing so much awesome progress!!!

Can you tell that I can't take progress bars seriously? ;-)

Other than that, I relate to the goals, especially the stupid spending one. I spend way too much on things I shouldn't. It's so good to NOT spend and to just be content. I'm with you on this one and will try to be better myself in this regard this challenge. No extra spending!

• Like 1

First day finished!

I got up at seven, and felt a bit sad that it was still dark out. And then it was *already* dark when I got out of work in the afternoon. The winter, people. It's coming.

(it does every year)

Ah, yes. And the darkness doesn't always bother me, but I find it an important time of year to move around a lot, and try to get some extra endorphins to fill in the lack of light.

(well you got up early, at least. did you do something worthwile with your time?)

It doesn't have to be worthwile. I had two cups of tea and read a few pages of my book. Hung around on the interwebs. It was good, relaxing.

And I went to the gym after work -- the new gym, which was small and very very green and made me think of this guy:

kermit-yoga-downdog.jpg

Seriously, everything was green. I might be afraid to go to hard on the jumping jacks.

The non-spending didn't work out, though. My boss was in town for the day, so couldn't in all fairness let him go out for lunch on his own. Then I may have bought new hair dye since the challenge was already a bust.

(hmm. I foresee a potential problem with your challenge construction.)

I know, I know. I'll have to be a bit more on my guard about this. Hair looks cool now, though. And overall, I feel pretty good about today. Tomorrow is run day. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

Glad to see the new challenge!  I hope that extra half hour in the mornings can go to some extra reading personally. 

giphy.gif

We will be with you in spirit as you navigate your new gym. Also I am loving the opportunity to get to 'meet' your super ego inner voice. Go challenge!  Also....tallies!  An alternative to the progress bar....very interesting!

Thanks, Eureka! That cat looks kind of like my cat, actually. But my cat doesn't read. He's more into yarn and strings and stuff.

Also, here's a potentially stupid question: how does one hide the progress bars (if one should decide to)? I tried to figure it out, but didn't manage. :numbness:

Other than that, I relate to the goals, especially the stupid spending one. I spend way too much on things I shouldn't. It's so good to NOT spend and to just be content. I'm with you on this one and will try to be better myself in this regard this challenge. No extra spending!

Yes! The thing with the spending is that it really often offers very little in the way of contributing-to-the-good-life, whereas being broke contributes a lot to the life-sucks-and-I'm-stressed-side of the equation. The solutions seems simple, but the execution ... ah, well.

I love your thoughts on the progress bars, too. These bars are but a shadow ...

• Like 1

Hi, Ranger! 

Like your challenge. Getting up early is tough, but anything that makes for a more relaxed pace in the mornings is great. 

Good for you on getting to the gym!

You can put your progress bars inside the spoiler tags (the "t" icon above will give you a dropdown menu) to hide them. 

Hi, Ranger! 

Like your challenge. Getting up early is tough, but anything that makes for a more relaxed pace in the mornings is great. 

Good for you on getting to the gym!

You can put your progress bars inside the spoiler tags (the "t" icon above will give you a dropdown menu) to hide them. 

Thank you, ShadowLion! Very grateful for everyone offering so much friendly advice all over the forum. :)

Glad someone got to how to insert a spoiler via the easier method!  I was just typing in the code here myself like a newb (which I stole from google....let's be honest).

I am also curious as to why your gym is so green. Was there a sale on paint? Was there a misguided study that said green makes you work harder? Why?

Have fun running!

• Like 1

Dragged my partner out for a 20-minute run last night in the park. Felt good, and like we could have gone longer, but it's probably good to take it easy at this point. It's a very nice feeling, when running goes easily and your feet feel light. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does ...

The getting up is going well (but still haven't adjusted the other side of the deal -- the going to bed-part -- so my eyes feel a bit more gravelly in the mornings), as is the non-spending. The timing is not great, though: as I mentioned before, my office just moved to a new part of town. I have a bunch of friends who also work around here, and they've been saying for weeks that we should go out for lunch together after I've moved. Which doesn't fit with the don't-buy-non-essential-stuff-plan, but is at the same time something to be happy about (that people want to hang out, I mean). So I don't know how to tackle that. Maybe suggest lunch walks and have them be hungry the rest of the day? We'll see. November is not a great time for picknicks in my part of the world.

Heading for the gym after work, and then catching up with everyone else's challenges this evening, hopefully. :onthego:

• Like 2

Dragged my partner out for a 20-minute run last night in the park. Felt good, and like we could have gone longer, but it's probably good to take it easy at this point. It's a very nice feeling, when running goes easily and your feet feel light. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does ...

The getting up is going well (but still haven't adjusted the other side of the deal -- the going to bed-part -- so my eyes feel a bit more gravelly in the mornings), as is the non-spending. The timing is not great, though: as I mentioned before, my office just moved to a new part of town. I have a bunch of friends who also work around here, and they've been saying for weeks that we should go out for lunch together after I've moved. Which doesn't fit with the don't-buy-non-essential-stuff-plan, but is at the same time something to be happy about (that people want to hang out, I mean). So I don't know how to tackle that. Maybe suggest lunch walks and have them be hungry the rest of the day? We'll see. November is not a great time for picknicks in my part of the world.

Heading for the gym after work, and then catching up with everyone else's challenges this evening, hopefully. :onthego:

No solution to your lunch problem, but maybe just go since you had it sort of planned, but drop the hint that you are on a no-spending challenge and you hope you can get together again after the challenge.  That way they won't expect it again until after the challenge.  

Nice job on the run...  I have no idea what that would feel like.  Running and I do not mix well.  Enjoy the gym!

• Like 1

Hey Ellis,

Welcome to the Rangers.

I love your goals for this challenge, all areas I am dabbling in myself :) I was wondering what your plan was to move towards being able to do a pull-up. I personally found that doing negatives was far and away the best thing for moving me forwards here.

• Like 1

Whoops double posted. Which gives me the opportunity to say well done with your progress on the challenge so far, particularly not beating yourself up too much regarding the non-essential spending. At least you are being mindful of what you are doing, which is a great step towards cutting it down.

• Like 1

No solution to your lunch problem, but maybe just go since you had it sort of planned, but drop the hint that you are on a no-spending challenge and you hope you can get together again after the challenge.  That way they won't expect it again until after the challenge.  

Thanks for the advice! I think that's what I shall do. :panda: 

Hey Ellis,

Welcome to the Rangers.

I love your goals for this challenge, all areas I am dabbling in myself :) I was wondering what your plan was to move towards being able to do a pull-up. I personally found that doing negatives was far and away the best thing for moving me forwards here.

Thanks Balsquith! :) I haven't had a very consistent plan, so far. The idea has been to get a bit stronger through other exercises, lose a little bit of dead weight and then start focusing on it more. However, inverted rows (somewhat similiar muscles) are part of my normal routine, and I sometimes go over and just sort of hang from the bar for a while ;) I think negatives is a very good idea, too. Do you do a set of them? Perhaps I shall work this into my routine, and get a bit more structured about this goal. :pride:

• Like 1