• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Went to the gym last night -- tried another new one. This one less green, but on the seventh floor.

I tried the goblet (I want so much to write 'goblin') squat earlier this week, and I'm getting the form down, but - christ - it's killing my arms! Push-ups and rows were very weak last night.

• Like 3

I think that inverted rows are also a very good exercise to move you towards the final target of a pull-up. I am not an expert but I think you could easily work a couple of sets of negatives into your work out too. The good think about them is that I think that everyone can do them, you are trying to come down as slowly as possibly, so at first you will come down very rapidly and this will gradually get better. I liked the fact that I was hanging on the bar and I think that made the thought of moving onto pull-ups later less intimidating. I wanted to find out how many negatives would be good to start with so I searched and found that there is a great article from Steve already: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

• Like 1

Dragged my partner out for a 20-minute run last night in the park. Felt good, and like we could have gone longer, but it's probably good to take it easy at this point. It's a very nice feeling, when running goes easily and your feet feel light. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does ...

That feeling is what I live for with running. Like you say it doesn't happen very often (at least for me) but when it does it feels like I am flying (I suppose though it is a very quick paced series of touch and goes). Way to go on the run!

The getting up is going well (but still haven't adjusted the other side of the deal -- the going to bed-part -- so my eyes feel a bit more gravelly in the mornings), as is the non-spending. The timing is not great, though: as I mentioned before, my office just moved to a new part of town. I have a bunch of friends who also work around here, and they've been saying for weeks that we should go out for lunch together after I've moved. Which doesn't fit with the don't-buy-non-essential-stuff-plan, but is at the same time something to be happy about (that people want to hang out, I mean). So I don't know how to tackle that. Maybe suggest lunch walks and have them be hungry the rest of the day? We'll see. November is not a great time for picknicks in my part of the world.

Hopefully now that you're getting up...you're also getting tired sooner? Then you'll even out.

For non-essential spending....have you made a budget? If you give yourself so much a week to spend on fun things or going out, then it could go towards lunch with your coworkers. If you have lunch out everyday though that could be a problem....and maybe the suggested walks might help? Picnic time has passed understandably but maybe there is a communal place that might not be as classy to eat in...say a mall food court, building lobby, or some other place that you could all meet with your prepped lunches (or if it's the food court then people who need to buy a lunch also have that option) that would work?

How did you workout last night go?

• Like 1

I think that inverted rows are also a very good exercise to move you towards the final target of a pull-up. I am not an expert but I think you could easily work a couple of sets of negatives into your work out too. The good think about them is that I think that everyone can do them, you are trying to come down as slowly as possibly, so at first you will come down very rapidly and this will gradually get better. I liked the fact that I was hanging on the bar and I think that made the thought of moving onto pull-ups later less intimidating. I wanted to find out how many negatives would be good to start with so I searched and found that there is a great article from Steve already: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

Oh, thanks for that. :) I'm going to try at the gym tomorrow and see how I do. Hopefully, my shoulders will feel a bit stronger then, too.

That feeling is what I live for with running. Like you say it doesn't happen very often (at least for me) but when it does it feels like I am flying (I suppose though it is a very quick paced series of touch and goes). Way to go on the run!

Hopefully now that you're getting up...you're also getting tired sooner? Then you'll even out.

Thanks. :) Well, I'm definitely getting there. I haven't been this tired at 7 pm for a long time. ;)

Also, thanks for the advice on the lunches. There are some budget places around, but nowhere to eat your own stuff, really. I could invite them to my new fancy office (it's really not so fancy) and serve them some of my own fancy food concoctions (really not so fancy, either). :rolleyes-new: Hmm ... I think I'm going to go with a mix of your advice and Marauder's, and check out some of the cheaper places, suggest walks and just enjoy that when it happens, but try to keep it down during the actual challenge. I knew I wasn't going to pass the whole challenge for this, but -- like with your food tracking -- it's good to learn to be a bit more mindful.

Oh, thanks for that. :) I'm going to try at the gym tomorrow and see how I do. Hopefully, my shoulders will feel a bit stronger then, too.

Very curious to see how this one works for you!  I would love love love to do a pull up but baby steps first. That being said....negatives might be a fun way to work toward it while I work on my pushup.  Happy workout!

• Like 1

Is no one going to ask how many gyms Ellis' work has? :o 

Well done on week one Ellis. I'm with you on the goblin goblet squats. And don't even mention lunging with a dumbbell in each hand. fainting.gif My left leg is never going to forgive me! 

• Like 2

All right, first things first. It's Sunday evening -- here's a progress report for week one:

Quest 1: Strength

Got all three workouts done, although the session this morning was not a very good one. I had seminars all weekend, and so had difficulty sticking to my normal schedule. Went to the gym this morning before class, but had to hurry through it -- and kind of ended up skipping parts of my planned routine. This was not only down to time constraints: I've felt a bit uninspired with gym training for the last week or so. Wise from the last challenge, I've decided that this probably means it's time to level up and go for something new. I'm going to do some research this evening, and see where I take it from here. I'm eager to get a bit more focused about the pull-ups, and will definitely work that in there.

Quest 2: Cardio/stamina

Went for my two runs. The first one was short and wonderful, the second a tired 5k-plod in the rain. Very sluggish, had to walk up a few hills, but this is to be expected. Feels like a win.

Quest 3: Sleep (or not, as it were)

Seven out of seven. The getting up has not been a problem, the going to bed on time, more so. I notice I'm a bit more tired during the day. Apart from that, I like getting up that little bit earlier. Also, it's kind of nice not having to think about when to get up.

Quest 4: No spending

Three days out of seven. That doesn't sound very good, but the weekend spending was somewhat planned. As I wrote earlier, I had a school weekend -- they happen once a month, and usually entail some dinners, lunches or beers out with classmates/colleagues I only see on these occasions. Had fun, didn't go too crazy, all good. As with the third quest, I like how this one takes out a bunch of small, everyday-decisions that I would normally think about it. Go past a bookstore? No point in even thinking about going. Early for class and in dire need of coffee? Just sit down on a bench and wait for the others to arrive so you can make coffee instead of going past the coffee shop and buy the expensive stuff.

So, overall -- a good week, I think. Oh! Oh! and another thing happened this week! In my Introduction, I wrote that I translate technical texts for money and fiction for fun. Well, I may just have been offered to translate a real book for real (although not very much) money. I'm very excited about this. And nervous. And excited.

tumblr_inline_mrfexit1vZ1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 5

Well done on week one Ellis. I'm with you on the goblin goblet squats. And don't even mention lunging with a dumbbell in each hand. fainting.gif My left leg is never going to forgive me! 

Haha -- only two gyms! :D

How are you liking the dumbbell routines? Except for your poor left leg, of course. :( I'm thinking of trying it out. Or maybe barbells. Decisions, decisions ... It seems squatting with a barbell would be easier than the goblin variety -- that movement of holding something heavy in front of your body is tough.

• Like 2

You have so much great going on here!  I did have one more thought on the lunch spending dilemma.  Tell your friends you are working on not spending definitely.  At the same if you really want to go could you pack and eat ahead of time so when out you only order a small salad or some soup or whatever you like to eat?  Maybe set a limit of $4 when you go out?

• Like 1

I sort of like the goblet squats.  Obviously, I must be doing them wrong.  haha!  Dumbbell lunges though...  they can go away...  forever.  They actually hurt and I don't think they're supposed to hurt quite like that.  I may have to find a modification.

So, overall -- a good week, I think. Oh! Oh! and another thing happened this week! In my Introduction, I wrote that I translate technical texts for money and fiction for fun. Well, I may just have been offered to translate a real book for real (although not very much) money. I'm very excited about this. And nervous. And excited.

It sounds like a GREAT week 1!  That is so awesome about the book!  Very excited for you!

• Like 1

Hi Ellis_e !

you have incredible and SMART goals... and i'm not telling that because they look very close to mine !! :playful: :playful: really loved your intro too !

i'm very curious about your sleep quest, because i think it's the thing i'll have the most difficulty with, i do not even seem to have secured a proper method yet ...

and i'm aiming to do a pull up too one day. in the future. well...

• Like 1

As with the third quest, I like how this one takes out a bunch of small, everyday-decisions that I would normally think about it. Go past a bookstore? No point in even thinking about going.

This.

I love experiencing the same thing.

-Recovering Biblioholic.

• Like 1

I sort of like the goblet squats.  Obviously, I must be doing them wrong.  haha!  Dumbbell lunges though...  they can go away...  forever.  They actually hurt and I don't think they're supposed to hurt quite like that.  I may have to find a modification.

I loath dumbbell lungs too!  Love the NFA workouts but hate dumbbell lungs.  I do those first just to get them done.  LOL

I think I'm the weird one out here, but I actually enjoy the dumbbell lunges. Hip raises and reverse crunches -- or in fact any form of crunches -- are however evil and should go away forever.

• Like 2

Way to rock week 1 Ellis! Here's a little something for you in congrats to your translation job as well:

x-files-scully-birthday.gif?w=620

I think that is great though that you are making those little decisions not to spend unnecessary money....it all starts here. What are you thinking for leveling up your workout?

• Like 1

I do love crunches and planks too actually.  Actually, I love almost all of the exercises EXCEPT the lunges.  I don't even know why except that they really just hurt.  I may need to just stop doing them and replace.  I consider it the entire time I'm doing them, each and every time I do them.  ha.

• Like 1

Hi Ellis_e !

you have incredible and SMART goals... and i'm not telling that because they look very close to mine !! :playful: :playful: really loved your intro too !

i'm very curious about your sleep quest, because i think it's the thing i'll have the most difficulty with, i do not even seem to have secured a proper method yet ...

Thanks, Win! :) It helps that I never have to get up super early (no kids, no weird work shifts, no commute, no dog) and don't usually have trouble sleeping. Can't lie, though, every morning when the alarm goes off there is a five minute period of heavy inner negotiating going on ...

Oh, and serious congrats on the potential book translation gig. What languages are you working with?

Thank you!!! Swedish, English and German. It would mean a pretty heavy workload for a few months, so I would need all the good NF-inspired routines I can establish. ;)

• Like 1

Way to rock week 1 Ellis! Here's a little something for you in congrats to your translation job as well:

x-files-scully-birthday.gif?w=620

I think that is great though that you are making those little decisions not to spend unnecessary money....it all starts here. What are you thinking for leveling up your workout?

Oh, moar Scully! Thanks :D

I eventually decided to dive in at the deep end and give the bodyweight brigade level 3 a go. Not only does it have pull-ups, but scary dips and hanging knee-tuck-thingies. I dunno, I think I'll end up doing the modified versions of everything, but it'll give me something to work towards. ;)

I do love crunches and planks too actually.  Actually, I love almost all of the exercises EXCEPT the lunges.  I don't even know why except that they really just hurt.  I may need to just stop doing them and replace.  I consider it the entire time I'm doing them, each and every time I do them.  ha.

Oof, planks. *shudders*

Thanks, Win! :) It helps that I never have to get up super early (no kids, no weird work shifts, no commute, no dog) and don't usually have trouble sleeping. Can't lie, though, every morning when the alarm goes off there is a five minute period of heavy inner negotiating going on ...

Yeah I do know what you mean! I usually use listening to the news on the radio as an excuse... you know... a citizen gotta stay informed!

• Like 1