I eventually decided to dive in at the deep end and give the bodyweight brigade level 3 a go. Not only does it have pull-ups, but scary dips and hanging knee-tuck-thingies. I dunno, I think I'll end up doing the modified versions of everything, but it'll give me something to work towards. ;)

Oooo...I am at the hanging knee tuck on my level too and I find it's harder to just hold on to the bar hanging.....nevermind the knee tuck part. Also....there is only a couple of places in the gym I can practice them because all the other bars are too close to the ground for me. 

That is otherwise my level.....modified versions of everything!  Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

Battle Log Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

Oooo...I am at the hanging knee tuck on my level too and I find it's harder to just hold on to the bar hanging.....nevermind the knee tuck part. Also....there is only a couple of places in the gym I can practice them because all the other bars are too close to the ground for me. 

That is otherwise my level.....modified versions of everything!  Let us know how it goes!

I'm having trouble with the bars too. There aren't many of them at my gym, and the ones there are often occupied -- which makes circuit training a bit difficult. I did the A workout yesterday, but had to exchange pull-ups (negatives) for inverted rows because of the lack of bars. Knee tucks are tomorrow. We'll see if I have better luck then, and I'll report back about the level!

Speaking of gym equipment: a very chipper trainer came up to me as I was doing my stuff, asking if I would mind very much if she took the box I was using. I said yes, I would. Of course, she had every right to take it, since she needed it for her class, but she just turned around and left. Felt like a win, even though I was in the wrong. It's a good box.

Just came back from another short Tuesday evening run with the dude. We both work a lot at the moment, so running is a pretty good way to get some time together. He's making soup now. Butternut squash. Good stuff. :)

• Like 4

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Great week 1! Hope the translating job pans out for you. That sounds exciting and a potentially important career move, too!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm having trouble with the bars too. There aren't many of them at my gym, and the ones there are often occupied -- which makes circuit training a bit difficult. I did the A workout yesterday, but had to exchange pull-ups (negatives) for inverted rows because of the lack of bars. Knee tucks are tomorrow. We'll see if I have better luck then, and I'll report back about the level!

Speaking of gym equipment: a very chipper trainer came up to me as I was doing my stuff, asking if I would mind very much if she took the box I was using. I said yes, I would. Of course, she had every right to take it, since she needed it for her class, but she just turned around and left. Felt like a win, even though I was in the wrong. It's a good box.

Just came back from another short Tuesday evening run with the dude. We both work a lot at the moment, so running is a pretty good way to get some time together. He's making soup now. Butternut squash. Good stuff. :)

Ha!  that's awesome.  No.  Go get your own box!

• Like 2

Rangering since Sept 2015

Catching up on your progress(bars :tongue:), it seems you really murdered week 1! Good going! And big congratulations on the translation gig!

EDIT: AND the get yar own boks -thing! Haha.

nightsongkittybox.gif

This. One's. MINE!

• Like 2

Weight Loss [12/08/2015...] ; From 77kg to 65kg

66.7%
66.7%

~¨`'!Iì:..  L2  ..:íI!'´¨~
¨
SWC#1 ¨

Thanks for the support, people. :)

So, here's the thing with not spending money: it's a lot easier when you forget your wallet at home in the morning. As though the challenge gods had arranged it so, I had however managed to bring my gym card (which is normally inside my wallet). And so, today was a win on getting up early, not spending any money and working out. Yay!

The dreaded B workout of this level of the bodyweight training was pretty tough. Turns out, hanging knee tucks are kind of okay (I have to work on my form, but managed somewhat) but dips are super hard. I did ten as low as I could go, which was not very low at all. Here's a question: is it better to try to do one and go as low as you're supposed to and work your way towards doing two, or do ten and work your way towards going lower? With most exercises, I know the answer is usually form first, but even when I don't dip very low at all, I feel like I'm still using the right muscles. Hmm ... Overall, though, it was fun to try new stuff and I feel kind of badass for using the bars at all. ;)

• Like 4

"There are some good things to be said about walking. Not many, but some. Walking takes longer, for example, than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed." Edward Abbey

Catching up on your progress(bars :tongue:), it seems you really murdered week 1! Good going! And big congratulations on the translation gig!

EDIT: AND the get yar own boks -thing! Haha.

nightsongkittybox.gif

This. One's. MINE!

That's a great gif. I felt more like this guy though ... ;)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Not sure.  I have heard that form first yes but keeping form go down as far as you can as often as you can to help build the muscles that will allow you to go all the way down.  Then again I am not a trainer and this is merely what I have read.  

You should feel like a badass!  You are.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I have asked that very same question in my head and out loud about various exercises over the years and the frustrating answer I get is 'Both'....you want the reps and the form.....and I just want to pull my hair out because in my mind it's very much....nope you get one or the other. So yeah.....I can't be very helpful either but to share in your frustration.

Nicely done on the knee tucks! I also loathe dips but I see they are coming up for me in the next level. Ugh. They'll get better one day right?

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

On a Quest to Complete a Full Push Up....the Story of a Person who has Negligible Upper Body Strength

Sorry in advance: This might come out a bit jumbled, but I'm trying to work something through. Feel free to skip ahead, there will be a progress report following shortly. ;)

It's been a bit of a weird weekend -- found out on Friday that I got that translation job I was so excited about (yay!), went to the gym after work, felt great about everything, came home, had a long and pretty depressing row with my partner (not about, but partly due to the fact that I've been working a lot lately), moped about feeling depressed all evening, kind of made up, watched a movie toghether, was just about to go to bed when found out about the crazy attacks in Paris, stayed up half the night reading about that, got up early on Saturday, moped about all day in a lethargic mess of reading and re-reading the news, having long and pessimistic discussions about politics, mindlessly surfing, napping and eating crap. Went to bed late, slept extremely poorly (for me), got up this morning feeling bleary and meh.

Leaving terrifying world events out (I feel bad even mentioning them in this context, since they are obviously so much bigger than my mood problems -- but, that is a discussion best left for somewhere else, I think), I seem to have this pattern where I go pretty hard for a few weeks, with work and training and eating really well and being social, and then I kind of crash, and just want to sleep and stare into walls and be alone and eat pizza. I can feel that it's bad for me in some ways -- back hurts from sitting on the couch all day, weird dreams, sugar-fuelled crappiness, anxiety -- but at the same time, I'm not sure it's not also necessary? It doesn't feel like a very constructive form of relaxing, but maybe it still fills a similar function. I just wish it didn't all come at the same time; relationship trouble when I'm at my most introverted, for example. I realize it's all interconnected, but ... *sigh*

Also, I noticed on Friday that my usual skin problems are getting a lot better. I'm pretty sure it's due to eating well for the past few weeks. Having realized this, I go and eat crap all Saturday. This is also an old pattern, which bothers me. I don't feel too bad about it -- it's not a disaster having shitty food now and then -- but the behavious seems a bit counterintuitive and backwards. If I feel good about something I've accomplished, why not keep it up instead of "rewarding myself" with something that is ultimately not very rewarding at all?

so .... that's about that. Writing it out like this and reflecting about it makes me feel like I have a better chance of turning things around for today (it's still Sunday morning). I feel a bit more energetic and like I want to get something done. Going to write up my progress report for the week, check out how everyone else is doing, do a little bit of work and eventually go for a run. Hopefully. :nonchalance:

• Like 3

Week two

Quest 1: Strength

Went to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Bodyweight brigade, level III -- now with moar bars! Finally did the negative pull-ups on Friday: the first few reps of each set felt good, slowly lowering myself from the top positition in a somewhat controlled manner, the last few resembled more a person simply falling on their feet. Fun, though. I can work with that. Also, no one came to take my box away and both step-ups (with weights!) and prisoner squats felt good. Did some side plans and superman poses, and survived that, too. Muscles feel pretty sore now, but I look forward to continuing with the routines next week.

Quest 2: Cardio/stamina

Short run on Tuesday. Will try to get out for my second run of the week today.

Quest 3: Sleep (or not, as it were)

Seven out of seven. On Saturday, I went back to bed during the day for a few hours, which may have been needed. Haven't been able to go to bed on time during the week because of work stuff.

Quest 4: No spending

Six out of seven. Surprisingly good, this. An unexpected bonus of the heavy workload + introverted weekend ...

So, overall it's been a good week -- just have to get that run in today.

• Like 3

No answers for you, but I'm feeling good about my choice to do the dumbbell workout this challenge.  ha!  Dips sound like no fun at all!

Not sure.  I have heard that form first yes but keeping form go down as far as you can as often as you can to help build the muscles that will allow you to go all the way down.  Then again I am not a trainer and this is merely what I have read.  

You should feel like a badass!  You are.

I have asked that very same question in my head and out loud about various exercises over the years and the frustrating answer I get is 'Both'....you want the reps and the form.....and I just want to pull my hair out because in my mind it's very much....nope you get one or the other. So yeah.....I can't be very helpful either but to share in your frustration.

Nicely done on the knee tucks! I also loathe dips but I see they are coming up for me in the next level. Ugh. They'll get better one day right?

Also: thanks for the advice and support! :wub:  I feel like I have you guys with me a bit when I'm at the gym, swearing to myself over the planks and the dips. It's a good feeling! :D

• Like 3

Sorry in advance: This might come out a bit jumbled, but I'm trying to work something through. Feel free to skip ahead, there will be a progress report following shortly. ;)

It's been a bit of a weird weekend -- found out on Friday that I got that translation job I was so excited about (yay!), went to the gym after work, felt great about everything, came home, had a long and pretty depressing row with my partner (not about, but partly due to the fact that I've been working a lot lately), moped about feeling depressed all evening, kind of made up, watched a movie toghether, was just about to go to bed when found out about the crazy attacks in Paris, stayed up half the night reading about that, got up early on Saturday, moped about all day in a lethargic mess of reading and re-reading the news, having long and pessimistic discussions about politics, mindlessly surfing, napping and eating crap. Went to bed late, slept extremely poorly (for me), got up this morning feeling bleary and meh.

Leaving terrifying world events out (I feel bad even mentioning them in this context, since they are obviously so much bigger than my mood problems -- but, that is a discussion best left for somewhere else, I think), I seem to have this pattern where I go pretty hard for a few weeks, with work and training and eating really well and being social, and then I kind of crash, and just want to sleep and stare into walls and be alone and eat pizza. I can feel that it's bad for me in some ways -- back hurts from sitting on the couch all day, weird dreams, sugar-fuelled crappiness, anxiety -- but at the same time, I'm not sure it's not also necessary? It doesn't feel like a very constructive form of relaxing, but maybe it still fills a similar function. I just wish it didn't all come at the same time; relationship trouble when I'm at my most introverted, for example. I realize it's all interconnected, but ... *sigh*

Also, I noticed on Friday that my usual skin problems are getting a lot better. I'm pretty sure it's due to eating well for the past few weeks. Having realized this, I go and eat crap all Saturday. This is also an old pattern, which bothers me. I don't feel too bad about it -- it's not a disaster having shitty food now and then -- but the behavious seems a bit counterintuitive and backwards. If I feel good about something I've accomplished, why not keep it up instead of "rewarding myself" with something that is ultimately not very rewarding at all?

so .... that's about that. Writing it out like this and reflecting about it makes me feel like I have a better chance of turning things around for today (it's still Sunday morning). I feel a bit more energetic and like I want to get something done. Going to write up my progress report for the week, check out how everyone else is doing, do a little bit of work and eventually go for a run. Hopefully. :nonchalance:

Haven't read your progress report yet, but wanted to comment about this first... First, I think a lot of the world is feeling "off" (for lack of a more all-inclusive term) because of the happenings in Paris.  I think it definitely affects us all so much.  Second, I'm sorry about the row.  They always seem to come at the worst time or perhaps they make times worse, all the same really in the big picture.  I'm glad to hear you aren't beating yourself up too badly about the "day".  It happens.  I think the important thing is to learn from those days and next time, make a small change for the better, say... I can sit on the couch all day, but if I do, no sugar.  Or I can have some sugar today, but if I do, I have to get a workout in.  I think the key to the ups and downs is to chip away at the extremes to keep things a bit smoother sailing.  Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 2

Week two

Quest 1: Strength

Went to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Bodyweight brigade, level III -- now with moar bars! Finally did the negative pull-ups on Friday: the first few reps of each set felt good, slowly lowering myself from the top positition in a somewhat controlled manner, the last few resembled more a person simply falling on their feet. Fun, though. I can work with that. Also, no one came to take my box away and both step-ups (with weights!) and prisoner squats felt good. Did some side plans and superman poses, and survived that, too. Muscles feel pretty sore now, but I look forward to continuing with the routines next week.

Quest 2: Cardio/stamina

Short run on Tuesday. Will try to get out for my second run of the week today.

Quest 3: Sleep (or not, as it were)

Seven out of seven. On Saturday, I went back to bed during the day for a few hours, which may have been needed. Haven't been able to go to bed on time during the week because of work stuff.

Quest 4: No spending

Six out of seven. Surprisingly good, this. An unexpected bonus of the heavy workload + introverted weekend ...

So, overall it's been a good week -- just have to get that run in today.

Bwahaha....  It is YOUR box now! 

insurgent-jeanine-box.gif

• Like 1

Great week ellis_e. i'm happy to see you're doing more than fine.

• Like 1

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

Great job, ellis_e! I'm with Marauder on how to handle rough spots. Hang in there and just keep chipping away. Be gentle with yourself when you're in the midst of emotional turmoil, yet whenever possible use new, healthier habits, however small, to pull yourself back up out of it. We're rooting for you!

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Haven't read your progress report yet, but wanted to comment about this first... First, I think a lot of the world is feeling "off" (for lack of a more all-inclusive term) because of the happenings in Paris.  I think it definitely affects us all so much.  Second, I'm sorry about the row.  They always seem to come at the worst time or perhaps they make times worse, all the same really in the big picture.  I'm glad to hear you aren't beating yourself up too badly about the "day".  It happens.  I think the important thing is to learn from those days and next time, make a small change for the better, say... I can sit on the couch all day, but if I do, no sugar.  Or I can have some sugar today, but if I do, I have to get a workout in.  I think the key to the ups and downs is to chip away at the extremes to keep things a bit smoother sailing.  Just my 2 cents.  

Great job, ellis_e! I'm with Marauder on how to handle rough spots. Hang in there and just keep chipping away. Be gentle with yourself when you're in the midst of emotional turmoil, yet whenever possible use new, healthier habits, however small, to pull yourself back up out of it. We're rooting for you!

Thank you :) The support and advice is very much appreciated. This really is a wonderful forum. :) I think thinking the whole thing through a bit helped, and realizing what I wanted to do to pull myself out. I think this is something I've gotten better at lately -- without beating myself up too much about it. I used to have much more of an all-or-nothing-approach before, where every small crash meant all progress was wasted.

In the event, I had a good Sunday. Got some stuff done, read a book, went for a very short run that turned into a somewhat longer walk (but I'm going to count it! ;) ), proper dinner and a good nights sleep. In some ways, not so different, in other ways, completely so. :)

• Like 4

Ellis...congratulations on the translation job! It's not fun to be on that roller coaster of emotion, but you were able to acknowledge how you were feeling (while mourning Paris) and you brought yourself out of it to recognize the behaviours that are counter productive and had a better day on Sunday. That is amazing. You're starting out Week 3 leveled up and stronger already. You're still here, you're still up for the challenge.

tumblr_lp3e5lXrQF1qboghuo1_r5_500.gif

You're Mulder.

Also: thanks for the advice and support! :wub:  I feel like I have you guys with me a bit when I'm at the gym, swearing to myself over the planks and the dips. It's a good feeling! :D

We definitely are!  You are owning those negatives btw!

• Like 2

Level 5 Warrior

Hey ellis_e,

It sounds like you had a great week. Sorry to hear about your down day, but it sounds like you have picked yourself right back up which is the most important thing. Also great to hear that you enjoyed the negatives, a few more weeks of those and you will be ready to start moving upwards rather than downwards :smile-new:

• Like 1

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Ellis...congratulations on the translation job! It's not fun to be on that roller coaster of emotion, but you were able to acknowledge how you were feeling (while mourning Paris) and you brought yourself out of it to recognize the behaviours that are counter productive and had a better day on Sunday. That is amazing. You're starting out Week 3 leveled up and stronger already. You're still here, you're still up for the challenge.

tumblr_lp3e5lXrQF1qboghuo1_r5_500.gif

You're Mulder.

We definitely are!  You are owning those negatives btw!

I think you're awesome, ellis_e!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hey ellis_e,

It sounds like you had a great week. Sorry to hear about your down day, but it sounds like you have picked yourself right back up which is the most important thing. Also great to hear that you enjoyed the negatives, a few more weeks of those and you will be ready to start moving upwards rather than downwards :smile-new:

Thanks ... we shall se about that. ;) But I'm excited about it.